Got any dodge personal trainer stories ???

d_man

dude at LM Auckland spent the time looking away/talking to people when I was doing my exercises, one occasion when he got me on a leg press machine he was chatting to someone & then after a bit turned around & said that I had done too many reps......git didn't even tell me how many to do....

I've used two pt's, first one moved overseas.

I'll swear by a pt. Done amazing things for me, I credit my newfound passion & drive for the gym to having a trainer!

No dodgy stories, but took me a little while to get used to muscly guys being that touchy-feely lol

I've used two pt's, first one moved overseas.

I'll swear by a pt. Done amazing things for me, I credit my newfound passion & drive for the gym to having a trainer!

No dodgy stories, but took me a little while to get used to muscly guys being that touchy-feely lol

haha that's why you should hire a female one ;)

A bad PT is a waste of your time and money, and unfortunately there are more of these than there should be. Believe me, I'm the main one complaining about it, so much that I hate calling myself a PT because of all the bad stereotypes it draws up.

A good PT can do great things for you, even if you think you're fairly clued in. You pay lawyers for legal advice, doctors for medical advice, etc, and ideally strength/fitness material would be the same. Of course, due to the large number of clueless rep-counters flooding the market, it doesn't always pan out that way.

Have used 3 PT's and have nothing bad to say about them.

Have 2 sessions a week with a PT and results are speaking for themself.

Have never achieved these results working out by myself or with friends (they talk too much).

as the Pman says you get what you pay for and there are good and bad professionals in all careers.

When even most pro's use coaches why wouldn't you?

Actually while i'm at it, one more thing that annoys me about ALL of the PT's that I have had is that not one of them has ever told me that without the correct nutrition doing their routine is like pissing in the wind. They are always like yeah this is a great program & you will reach your goals etc if you stick to it.....

I've only had 2 freebie sessions with 2 different PTs, and they were enough for me to decide I'd probably not waste actual money on them in the future. I know there are some good ones around, but the trouble is that you don't find out that the one you've just used is rubbish until after your session.

No dodgy stories, just wasn't impressed with the generic workouts I was shown. The first one I can't really blame, as I was just wanting a short term membership at a place I was staying for a few months, and I was pretty vague about goals - really just wanted an alternative workout to pump classes at the time as I couldn't work with their timetable, so I'm as much to blame as he is for the rubbish service.

But with the second one I'd have expected more, as I told him that I had bodybuilding goals. I told him that I wanted to get into a more bodybuilding side of training and I needed to know how to use the equipment in the gym to reach those goals. Basically I was shown how to use a series of machines, very few freeweights, no core strength lifts. Then 2 days later he did the exact same thing with my colleague whose goals were general fitness and to lose a few kilos. Completely different goals, but identical sessions. I no longer have time for PTs unless they are able to prove they have the skills I need without me having to waste money on trial and error. Therefore I go it alone (and milk Pman and Rose for their knowledge!!).

I've never used a PT's services before... however, "dodge" stories?

I've noticed a lot of male PTs do not wash their hands after both number 1 and 2... Makes you wonder whether their clients would mind if they knew? :-s

And if I decide to ever use one, I'll check with you first if they're one of those PTs!

I use a trainer at Les Mills in Wellington and I can honestly say that he is one of the best trainers that I have ever used.

His programs are challenging and varied and are totally tailored towards my goals. His professionalism and dedication are spot on and I would have no problem recommending him to anyone.

Good PT's are expensive, however, I see results that I would maybe not achieve by on my own otherwise and I think that this is a worthwhile investment.

Saying that I used one trainer that I fired as she was simply very poor and disorganised. She always cancelled sessions at the very last minute or simply failed to show up. She even texted me in some weird text speak (txt speak innit). I'm not a vowel challenged moron, I had no idea what it said. Highly unprofessional.

Another one I met and he gave me a very limp handshake as an introduction, I never even bothered with the intro workout. If your paying $75+ an hour, your expect a professional and motivated experience not some half arsed attempt

he gave me a very limp handshake as an introduction, I never even bothered with the intro workout

Funny, limp handshakes are the pits. Always firm :nod:

Results of the study, according to lead author William F. Chaplin, Ph.D., show that a person's handshake is consistent over time and is related to some aspects of his or her personality. Those with a firm handshake were more extraverted and open to experience and less neurotic and shy than those with a less firm or limp handshake. The researchers say these results demonstrate that personality traits, assessed through the self-report, can predict specific behaviors assessed by trained observers.

What Your Handshake Says About You

I try to come at it from a holistic angle. Weight training is a big part of the process, but there's a whole lot more that goes into training a person. I think a lot of PTs come in from a strength or BBing background and think that training clients = have them do my workout, and that's a sure-fire way to muck it up.

With everybody I see, I have a process. I do a comprehensive warmup with dynamic stretches, foam rolling, and corrective work before the main session. The session itself varies, but unless the person is hurt, they always get the intro to squats, benching, (military) pressing, and deadlifts, and my programming reflects that.

I generally try to round out the main workouts with fun stuff, whether it's pump 'n tone beach work or strongman-type conditioning work. Then finish up with warmdown work similar to the warmup, with more emphasis on foam rolling and static stretching.

And yeah, I give nutrition info to anybody that wants or needs it, along with any outside restoration/regeneration work they might benefit from between workouts. You have to at least try to cover those bases, since you might not get to see the person as often as you'd like.

Ultimately you're not there to put them on a boring circuit of machines, or a body-part split workout right out of the magazines, while you spot half their reps. Being a trainer is about much more than just putting together a program and counting reps. I mean, you can do it that way I guess, but you'll end up with a string of disappointed clients and people bitching about you in an Internet thread :lol: