Cathy Millen -NZ BB and PL bench article

Optimass

I think I'm suggesting it as a result of volume of reps. Plyometric movements during the eccentric phase the muscle is absorbing the weight and momentum and generally involve mid to high repitition movements. Some of the study was completed observing isoinertial concentric and eccentric movements - so isn't this the same thing?

No way to know what the protocols were without getting the full paper, and 1996 may be too old for my online source. Lemme see if I can grab it and have a look.

My hunch is that the increased eccentric strength is more due to having to rapidly absorb force from a landing than anything else, since that's what we see in every other plyo study (also turns up when using bands) - it's the quick catch (and usually reversal) that's important moreso than the volume itself.

If you're looking for stuff to support high-rep training, use the search terms "Kaatsu", "occlusion", or "ischemia" on Pubmed. That'll get you started with some good stuff.

There's also some older stuff from 2000-2005 by Ahtiainen and by Hakkinen that will be of interest.

I remember seeing her train at Les mills back in the day - with Siobahn O'Neill I think from memory?

Last time I saw Cathy was in the late 90s down at Voyager nightclub - most of the boys left their shirts on as i recall :D

Yeah they were a couple back (her and Siobahn) they used to live together, and used to go everywhere together. A training partner (powerlifter) of mine used to go over there house all the time. This is when she used to train at Tower Ra Power gym. Man that was an awesome gym.

Last I heard she was working as a bouncer in hamilton.

Thats interesting that poliquin used to train her I didnt know that.

• 2 weeks later...
If you're looking for stuff to support high-rep training, use the search terms "Kaatsu", "occlusion", or "ischemia" on Pubmed. That'll get you started with some good stuff.

There's also some older stuff from 2000-2005 by Ahtiainen and by Hakkinen that will be of interest.

ok ... been training in underwear 4 sizes too small and I cant get past the chafe :P ,,, http://kaatsu.jp/pdf/0101/03Takano.pdf

interesting read - thanks :nod:

• 5 months later...