Cathy Millen -NZ BB and PL bench article

Optimass

.. was looking through some random links and came across and old name of NZ bodybuilding.

1504.7 (682.5) *7.72X Cathy Millen (New Zealand/67) 5/28/94 (260.0+162.5+260.0=682.5 kg. @ 88.4 kg.) (Rotorua, New Zealand) (IPF)

Still rank number 5 on the record tables .... thats a pretty impressive total lift for an 88kg person :clap:

millen.jpg

Does she still compete?

The Optimum Method of Increasing Your Bench: Stop Benching!

By Lorne Goldenberg

Reprinted from Ironman Magazine

The bench press without question is a lift that tends to fascinate most people in the gym. It does not matter where you train, you will always find someone loading up a bar on a bench. You will always be asked "So what are you benching?" The bench press is the lift that everyone loves to love. Yet it is also the lift that everyone seems to plateau on. So what is the answer to the dreaded bench plateau? Stop bench pressing!! Now I know some of the powerlifters are going to get a little excited and think, hey this is one of my main lifts, I can't stop doing it. My answer to that is a question, Do you really think you are going to forget how to bench press? Of course not. This article will detail methods of increasing your bench press, and examine how your mechanics, and muscular system are all affected by variations in everyone's favorite lift.

Now what do I mean when I say "stop bench pressing", Literally I mean do not use a barbell to bench press. BUT, this does not exclude other methods of developing the pectoral mass with pressing movements. For 99% of the lifting population, you have bench pressed in some part of your program with little or no break over the years. The body can and will end up overtraining a movement pattern. Some of the results of overtraining include loss of strength, boredom, and injury (pec tears, tendonitis etc.)

The Switch From Barbell To Dumbell

The change from barbell to dumbbell can be a difficult one for many people. Mentally it is tough because you cannot handle as much weight as the barbell, people think they will actually get weaker. Then there is also the problem of getting over the fact that if you are a powerlifter, and I am asking you not to do one of your main lifts.

In the 10 years that I coached NHL hockey players, in addition to emphasizing core strength, upper body pressing movements were very important. We used the bench press as a means to determine upperbody strength (as well as their potential to cross check their opponent effectively). Yet I did not always use the test as a means of building strength. The use of dumbbells was a big key for increases in strength. It was not uncommon for a player to increase his bench strength by 30 -45 pounds in less than 3 months. This kind of increase was obtained with very little use of the bench press. It did come about by changing the grip of the dumbbell (neutral, palms away, reverse grip), changing the incline of the bench, and using an unstable base of support, the swiss ball, for flat, incline, and decline presses.

This theory is very similar to Louie Simmons conjugate method, whereby you use similar lifts to your main exercise. This was outlined a few issues ago in IM in an article by Peter Thorne. Louie is a world famous powerlifting coach who has had enormous success producing champions out of his Westside Barbell club in Ohio. In the article Louie describes his split of intensity, and exercises over 2 days. The one point which I liked, is on his explosive day, where he is using 60% of max for 8-10 sets of 3 reps. This is important because it is a means of firing the 2b fibers under a different load and tempo environment. Now in theory and practice this works, but, I like to add another view on this method. I have used what has been termed a complex set(1) by the Russians. The difference with my method is that I will precede my explosive set with a heavy set of doubles or triples, rest 3-5 minutes, then perform an explosive set on the bench press with about 60% for 3-5 reps. This method can also be used without the rest period between sets. The complex accomplishes 2 things: First it assures you that you are using your 2B fibers in a slow strength max attempt, and secondly it also allows you to move the bar with greater velocity as you have tricked your motor units into believing they are going to lift a heavy weight. I use the heavy set complex for only 2-3 sets, then continue on with 3 extra sets of explosive reps. An example will be detailed later in the article.

Now from a practical standpoint this method works, but according to the literature there is one problem with it. It is called the decelleration phase. It has been demonstrated that when you are lifting a load of 81% of max, that 52% of that range of motion of the lifting portion is spent decellerating the weight. When you are lifting a max load it is 23%(2). The existence of this decelleration phase is one of the biggest downsides to weight training. Now using the lighter loads will help develop some explosiveness off the chest, but you will end up decellerating to a greater degree. It is my opinion that this MAY be one of the reasons and or causes for the dreaded sticking point. That is as a result of the nervous system constantly thinking about slowing down as the bar is being lifted with max force. One way of overcoming this is by integrating plyometric exercise into your routine.

There are a number of methods of utilizing plyometric exercise into your program. The key to success will be using a load that is heavy enough. Performing med ball drops will not do it. It has been proven that dropping a 10 kg med ball from a height of 70 cm results in an eccentric load impact of only 37 kg/ms (3). This is not heavy enough to induce positive change. But it is my opinion, that if you perform a plyometric activity that will eccentrically load the muscles appropriately, that you will be able to overcome the negative results of the decelleration phase. Exercises such as drop pushups with your feet elevated, and push/catch with a hanging heavy bag are 2 examples. This type of activity is very intense, therefor repetitions should be kept below 6. Another trick you can play with would be on a smith machine. With a spotter on each side of the machine, use a weight that is approximately 45-50% of your max. Lower the weight down to your chest and explode so hard that you actually throw the weight out of your hands. Your partners must be quick and catch the bar as its velocity reaches 0. If this is not enough you can try an extreme drill that I heard the Russians have used. Back in the mid 80's a colleague of mine saw a Russian lifter fitted with an upper body harness, hung from the ceiling so his body was parallel with the floor, pulled back about 15 feet from a wall, then swung into the wall. Soon as his hands made contact with the wall he was to blast off as hard and as fast as he could. A little drastic, but very innovative. The Russians will do anything to win.

Variability Affects Your Anatomy, Which Means BIG Gains

The anatomical reason why changing from a bar to dumbbells is important because when you stop using a bar to bench press, the small stabilizing muscles in the shoulder come into play at a greater level. These muscles include teres minor, infraspinatus, subscapularis, serratus anterior and coracobrachialis. One of the best examples that I can give with regard to its benefits is one from Strength Coach Charles Poliquin, who was coaching women's powerlifting champion Cathy Millen. Cathy has bench pressed 407.5 pounds at a body weight of 185 lbs. When she originally started with Charles she was bench pressing 275 lbs. at a body weight of 165. Charles was able to bring about these results by only benching once every 5 days, and once she hit 380, it went down to once every 7 days. Cathy was also kept off the bench press for 18 weeks before her first competition. Dumbbell work was highly emphasized, which resulted in a much greater stretch of her prime movers. This was very positive as enhanced flexibility prevents long term overuse injuries. Many of the shoulder injuries seen in the gym, come on like cavities in your mouth, they take a long time to show up, but once they do, it is too late. Charles felt the dumbbell work made a significant contribution to her amazing results. It was this dumbbell work that caused great adaptation in all her stabilizing muscle groups. As a matter of fact he has stated that her serratus anterior is the strongest he has ever seen on any human being. There was also great emphasis placed on elbow flexor and extensor strength. Now this may seem uncommon that improvement in the elbow flexors would assist in the bench press, but Poliquin feels that it enhances nervous system adaptation allowing the triceps to reach greater strength levels. This idea of nervous system adaptation will be covered in a future article.

Anatomy plays another role in the bench press, and that has to do with inclination of the trunk and hand spacing. In a fairly recent study (4) The researches looked at how bench inclination, and hand spacing would affect recruitment of the sternocostal and clavicular heads of the pec major, the anterior deltoid, long head of the tricep, and latissumus dorsi. This study unfortunately used the smith machine as its testing mode. This is a machine that I do not particularly like for strength training, mostly because it has been demonstrated, that free weight exercises illicit greater muscle activation than machines, in the bench press exercise(5). Additionally chronic use of the smith machine will result in development of a faulty movement pattern in the shoulder girdle. The following will provide us with some reinforcement of what is general knowledge.

Sternocostal Head of Pectoralis Major

•In the military press position, activity was at its lowest as compared to decline, flat, and incline bench. The highest activity was in the flat bench position

•Generally hand spacing had no effect on muscle activation except during the incline press when the wide grip elicited a greater activity

Clavicular Head of Pectoralis Major

•With regard to inclination, as you move from a decline, to flat, to incline, you get progressively greater activity, with little activity in the military position.

•Generally hand spacing resulted in significantly greater activity when using a narrow grip as compared to a wide grip

Anterior Deltoid

•Activity in the muscle tended to increase as inclination increased

•Using a wide grip in the military, and incline position resulted in greater activity. A narrow grip in the decline and flat position resulted in greater activity in those positions

Long Head of the Tricep

•Decline and flat positions had significantly greater activity than the incline and vertical positions.

•Narrow grip resulted in greater activity over the wide grip

Latissimus Dorsi

•Generally activity very low compared to other muscle groups. There was indication of activity just prior to the start of the lift.

•Greatest activity was in the decline position with a wide grip.

The Plan For A Big Bench

Try the following routine for the next 8 weeks. You will find that if you have been stuck at a certain level on the bench press for any length of time, this program will get you out of that rut. Note: This program assumes that you are an experienced lifter. If you are new to this game do not follow this workout. Some of the exercises may be new to you, and a few exercise explanations will follow. When you see exercises designated 1a, 1b. This indicates you should move from one exercise to the other with no rest. For those who are confused about tempo, you must have missed the March 1998 issue of IM. GO GET IT, THEN GO AND LIFT!!

CYCLE #1 FOUR WEEKS

DAY 1 AND DAY 2 SHOULD BE SEPARATED BY AT LEAST 3 DAYS OF REST

Day 1

1. Bench Press Complex 2 x 2/5 @ 90-95%/50-60%, 4 x 5 @ 60% Tempo-3:1:exp/2:1:exp

2a. Pulldown To Chest Supinated Grip 4 x 6 Tempo- 3:1:2

2b. Decline Drop Pushups 4 x 5

3a. Seated Row To Neck 4 x 5 Tempo- 3:1:2 (use tricep rope)

3b. Standing External Rotation #1 4 x 8 Tempo 3:1:3 (use low cable)

4. Prone Tricep DB Hammer Extension. 3 x 8 Tempo 2:0:2

Day 2

1a. Neutral Grip Incline DB Press 3 x 8 Tempo 4:0:2

1b. Serratus Front DB Front Raise 3 x 8 Tempo 3:2:2 (use incline bench)

2a. Pronated Pull-Ups Chest to Bar 3 x Max reps Tempo 3:1:1

2b. Cuban Press 3 x 6

3a. DB Floor Presses 4 x 8 Tempo 3:2:1

3b. Push Ups on Swiss Ball 4 x 8-10

4. Seated Incline DB Curls 4 x 10 Tempo 4:1:3

CYCLE #2 FOUR WEEKS

DAY 1 AND DAY 2 SHOULD BE SEPARATED BY AT LEAST 3 DAYS OF REST

Day 1

1. Smith Machine Explosion Bench Press 5 x 3 @ 45-50% of max Tempo 3:0:exp

2a. 1¼ DB Bench Press 4 x 5 Tempo 4:0:exp

2b. Chest supported T-Bar Row, neutral grip 4 x 6 Tempo 3:1:2

3a. Close Grip Bench press 4 x 5 Tempo 3:1:2

3b. Standing external rotation #2 4 x 6 Tempo 3:1:3 (use low cable)

Day 2

1. Bar Lockouts in Power Cage 4 x 3 Tempo 3:1:exp

2. Eccentric Chin-up 3 x 1 Tempo 30:0:0

3. Swiss Ball DB Incline Press\Bench Press 3 x 8 Tempo 4:0:3

4. DB Lateral Raise elbows 90 degrees 4 x 8 Tempo 3:1:2

Exercise Description

Bench Press Complex - Perform heavy set, unload bar, rest 4-5 minutes, then perform light set. You can vary this by having no rest after the heavy set. For the 4 sets of explosive reps on their own, rest at least 4 minutes between sets.

Decline Drop Push - Feet on 8-10" aerobic step, get in push up position, partner straddles hips your hips, picks your upper body up under chest, lets you go, you hit ground and come up as fast as possible, your partner catches you.

Standing External Rotation#1 - stand beside low cable so it is parallel with your left shoulder, grab cable handle with right, stand straight and position right arm so humerus is parallel to ground, and forearm is perpendicular to ground. To lower the weight you will slowly internally rotate-this will cause eccentric contraction in external rotators, to raise weight externally rotate at shoulder. Always maintain the 90 degree angle at your elbow, and humerus must stay parallel to the ground.

Serratus Front DB Front Raise - On a incline bench, hold DB so hand is in neutral position i.e. thumb to ceiling. Keep head back, raise both arms up slightly higher than parallel to ground, and reach forward trying to separate your two shoulder blades.

Cuban Press - Standing with bar in a snatch grip, begin to pull bar up in an upright row fashion, as humerus becomes parallel with ground, stabilize your arms in this position, and externally rotate to get bar over your head. To lower, bring bar back in front military press position, do not rotate coming back down as there is too much stress eccentrically on the shoulder.

Smith Machine Explosion Press - as described earlier, best to use a multi guide rod machine i.e. vertical and horizontal guide rods.

1 ¼ DB Bench Press - On a flat bench lower DB to chest, come back up 25% of range of motion, go back down, and then up to full extension.

Standing external rotation #2 - Same starting position as #1, but this time your arm is by your side, abducted to about 30 degrees. Stabilize this position and rotate shoulder.

Swiss Ball DB Incline Press\Bench Press- Lie on ball so head and shoulders are supported by ball. Drop your hips around ball, this will put your chest in an incline position. Use a weight that will allow only 8 reps. When you reach muscle failure, raise hips back up, this will put you in the flat bench position, then continue to press out as many reps as you can. You should get out a couple more reps, as you are moving from a weak position to a stronger position.

Lorne Goldenberg BPE, CSCS, CFA, ART CHEK-2 is the owner of Strength Tek Fitness Consulting in Ottawa, Ont. He has been an NHL strength coach for over 10 years, and can be contacted for consultations or seminars though his web site at http://www.strengthtek.com or 613-820-9682

References

1.Chu D Jumping into Plyometrics. Leisure Press, Champaign Ill 1992 pg. 23-24.

2.Bloomfield J et al. Applied Anatomy & Biomechanics in Sport. Blackwell Scientific Publications Cambridge Mass. 1994 P136.

3.Wilson G. Weight and plyometric training: effects on eccentric and concentric force production. Canadian Journal of Applied Physiology Vol.21#4 Aug 1996

4.Barnett C. et al Effects of variations of the bench press exercise on the emg activity of five shoulder muscles. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research Volume 9 #4 Nov 1995

5.McCaw S. et al A comparison of muscle activity between a free weight and machine bench press. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research Volume8 #4 Nov 1994

Unsure if she does anymore. The last time she competed in bodybuilding it was late 90's I think??? Alison Rainbow prepped Cathy for the Auckland show and she looked awesome. Prior to that Cathy was in Napier (a long time ago - when Colin Cox was running strong man shows here) she was pretty bloody huge back then too.

You know I really think that bit about the DB pressing is interesting, because I've been on a kick with the old school powerlifting stuff from the 70s and early 80s lately, and it's funny how much their training looked more like traditional bodybuilding, using dumbbells exercises and less of what most people think of as "powerlifting training" today.

I don't know if dropping the bench (or any of the three lifts) full-on is a good idea for the average lifter (though there's certainly a case to be made for it), but I do think there is something to be said for adding in a dose of straight-up bodybuilding stuff for the upper body especially. A lot of guys don't do that cause powerlifting means low reps (right?), but if you look at Westside and Sheiko, they're always suggesting that kind of thing.

I agree re adding in DB exes. The stability aspect is certainly one advantage, and shoulder health is definitely another. Cathy is awesome. I remember someone on here posting Cathy wouldn't win any beauty contests. Perhaps one of the most shallow and catty things I've read on NZBB. Her achievements are inspiring.

I agree re adding in DB exes. The stability aspect is certainly one advantage, and shoulder health is definitely another. Cathy is awesome. I remember someone on here posting Cathy wouldn't win any beauty contests. Perhaps one of the most shallow and catty things I've read on NZBB. Her achievements are inspiring.

Cathy is awesome - I agree - having seen her break PL records is an amazing achievement - no-one is taking that away from her. Me - saying that she wouldn't win a beauty contest - isn't shallow or even catty - but that is your opinion Rose. PL isn't a beauty contest - don't take it out of the context that it was written in ok :o

Cathy is awesome - I agree - having seen her break PL records is an amazing achievement - no-one is taking that away from her. Me - saying that she wouldn't win a beauty contest - isn't shallow or even catty - but that is your opinion Rose. PL isn't a beauty contest - don't take it out of the context that it was written in ok :o

Heh. I'm not taking it out of context. The initial comment you made about her was out of context Ann.

It is a shallow thing to say, face it. If her goals are not to win beauty contests, why diminish her achievements with a backhand comment like that? Why is her perceived lack of beauty even a factor to be noted when this was not the topic being discussed?

I get quite tired of people saying something shallow about someone only to come back and say oh but I do think they're awesome when called on it. How about just saying they're awesome in the first place?

But yes, it is my opinion, and I chose not to name who said it because I don't really have any further interest in this debate. I personally think she looks better than a lot of the women who step on a bodybuilding stage. There's more to life than worrying about how pretty you are on the outside.

Why is her perceived lack of beauty even a factor to be noted when this was not the topic being discussed?

Agreed -so why bring it back into this topic then? I'm sure everyone has said something at sometime that pisses people off - thats just the way it is. Hell, I'll be the first one to admit that - I don't have a problem with it.

Ladies! Behave.... although we're all secretly hoping you'll have a cat fight it's just not that exciting online! :grin:

Seriously though lets not derail the thread.

Ok ok - sorry Nate - no more misbehaving! :smackbottom: There 'ya go - I'll smack myself on the ass!

Agreed -so why bring it back into this topic then? I'm sure everyone has said something at sometime that pisses people off - thats just the way it is. Hell, I'll be the first one to admit that - I don't have a problem with it.

I didn't name you Miss, I was merely commenting on it! You responded, I replied. No harm done hey. Just another day in innuhnet land...

Peace.

Nate - I don't do catfights ya egg :roll:

Cathy is still awesome and DB exes are the bomb. Yeah.

You know I really think that bit about the DB pressing is interesting, because I've been on a kick with the old school powerlifting stuff from the 70s and early 80s lately, and it's funny how much their training looked more like traditional bodybuilding, using dumbbells exercises and less of what most people think of as "powerlifting training" today.

I don't know if dropping the bench (or any of the three lifts) full-on is a good idea for the average lifter (though there's certainly a case to be made for it), but I do think there is something to be said for adding in a dose of straight-up bodybuilding stuff for the upper body especially. A lot of guys don't do that cause powerlifting means low reps (right?), but if you look at Westside and Sheiko, they're always suggesting that kind of thing.

I guess it highlights the approach one takes to training the Big Three. Most people train the lift, others train for the lift. WSB definately the latter, e.g. find the weakness in your squat and remedy it, rather than just squatting more / heavier etc

Interesting post P-man and good find there Opti. This is something that I have been discussing with with a colleague of mine, the basic "bodybuilding" template involving basic exercises using a highier rep range was exactly what I did (for 6 years) well before I even tried my first PL training method. One conclusion we came up with was it set up a huge foundation and built a high level of absolute strength and strength endurance for me. It was only when I introduced other specific methods to develop dynamic and explosive power that my lifts really took off...and big time too.

I think there is certainly a lesson to be taken from that, perhaps we get used to the low rep stuff because we get lazy doing anything highier than 5 or 6 reps as well as all the flash gizmo's like chains and bands and other special bars etc. In the past from November through to the end of January I used to move back to basics and do 3 months of med-high reps, meduim-high weight with quick turn over work (much like BB training discussed) to freshen up and prepare my body for another years cycle of PL training. Havent done in in quite a while now and not surprisingly the strength progress has tappered off (actually been a few years now).

Something for me to think about...

Oh yeah...

Cathy Millen is an absolute legend would rank as one of NZ's most successful sportswomen EVER. If PL was an Olympic/Commonwealth sport, she would have won 8 golds from the 1990 and 1994 Commonwealth games (4 at each) and 4 Olympic golds in 1992 as well here 5 world championships and numerous world records...thats how good she was.

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/ar ... oanpln.htm

That's the first powerlifting workout I ever picked up, over 10 years ago. That site was about the only place to go for any decent PL info back then, so that's what I ended up doing.

Look at all those leg extensions and bicep curls!

Oh and who can forget the source of it in the first place:

http://www.ampedtraining.com/files/EdCo ... ilding.pdf

I think there is certainly a lesson to be taken from that, perhaps we get used to the low rep stuff because we get lazy doing anything highier than 5 or 6 reps as well as all the flash gizmo's like chains and bands and other special bars etc.

This is something I have observed in my own training the older I have become. Certainly low rep is more comfortable (must be instinctive having trained this way exclusively for some time) - once I'm able to refocus time to training this year, I think I need to go back to high rep if I'm going to maintain my strength ratios and obvious conditioning that I have experienced in the past.

Thought I'd add one of the ref summaries ... plyometrics and powerlifting? Would support the high rep theory ...

Can J Appl Physiol. 1996 Aug;21(4):301-15.

Weight and plyometric training: effects on eccentric and concentric force production.

Wilson GJ, Murphy AJ, Giorgi A.

Centre for Exercise Science & Sport Management, Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW, Australia.

The study was performed in an effort to gain greater insights into the adaptations invoked by plyometric and weight training. Forty-one previously trained males were randomly allocated in either a control, plyometric, or weight-training group. The experimental groups trained for 8 weeks, performing either heavy lifts or dynamic plyometric exercises. The following test items were performed prior to and at the completion of the training period: (a) vertical jump, (b) a series of isoinertial concentric and eccentric tests, © push-up tests, and (d) maximal bench press and squat lifts. Plyometric training significantly enhanced the rate of eccentric lower body force production. The weight-training group primarily enhanced concentric function. These results were attributed to the specific stresses imposed by the differing forms of training and are discussed with reference to methods of enhancing training induced adaptations and the types of movements such training would tend to facilitate.