what sucks about my gym......

bigdogbob

Well been going to this gym for years, up in birkenhead, was good, it had the basics, good set of weights, benches, bars cable pully staion.... until they decide to enter the construction phase with the new owners....

they tell us that with the new vision this will be a satilite gym with the main gym iin glenfield, this will tasked a the 'express gym'!!!??? what the ....

anyway about october november 09 the sell the good equipment, the pully staion for lat pull downs tricep pushdowns and seated rows etc and quess what the replace it with.... a home gym!!!??? what the ..... They then take some of the good machines to the main glenfield branch and leave us with what, sweet stuff all. Gone are most of the 20kg plates, so if someone puts ten a-side on the 45 degree legpress there's non left in the gym..... what the ..... the 50kg dumbells have been broken for the last year and majority of the dumbells have been threaded so are all loose... there are 4 bench press stations however as of yesterday there are only two usable barbells for the whole gym as all the others are broken, bent and have been lying aroun like that for the past half year or so..... went to use the decline bench to find the safety rack pin broken and just sitting, flapping in place.... cant adjust any of the benches for angles as all teh pins and springs are gone.... Long gone is the smith machine..... shame on you...

yes they have offered a discounted price to put up with this and I could go to train at the other branch, which I have if you don't mind queing up in line for the weights and gear, but really, just get it together...

Yes I'm jealous of 'Steak' and his new coast barbell club. Now thats what Im talking about, a real gym with passion, I haven't been there yet but can tell that's were its at, well for me anyway.

I guess I'm tired of seeing trainers in dress pants and skinz tight t-shirts. I guess I'm tired of personal trainers spotting their clients on the first rep of ten reps on every exercise saying' yeah it's all you' what the....

I guess I'm tired of impassionate trainers that look like they haven't lifted a weight ever before and it's their first time in the gym. I guess I'm tired of the same bloody remix C.D music being played day after day same time all the time. I'm bloody tired of nobs traiining in their jeans and dress shoes, looking in the mirror at a whole lot of nothing. Im tired of members training with absolutly bad form moving the weight no more than a inch or swingiing the weights like a disics throw and the trainers not saying or correcting them......

I could go on but I just had to get it off my chest. Yes I know, why don't you go to another gym etc., I do when I can.

Just lookiing for a passionate gym that is hardcore and serious about lifting some weights with no pussying around, maybe it's just me and not you and i do understand that gyms have to make money to operate and they have to cater for all types....but come on this is a joke.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been a resurgence in "Basement Gyms" in the US for this very reason. One option would be to set up a club like Steak has with like minded people. I realise finances will always be an issue but there are very workable models for "club" setups rather than commercial gyms.

Dr Squat has made this model work on a greater scale with the mighty ESB, ask him if you are interested in going down this path. We have considered a similar approach with the Strongman stuff - time will tell. I also stumbled across a friend who happened to have an entire gym (we're talking leg press, two squat racks, multi-stations, DB sets, Olympic plates etc) rusting in his backyard. Who know I may see what I can beg, borrow or buy!

Alternately take some references from the members here and get some complimentary passes and try out a few recommended gyms.

Nate

Sorry mr.greyghost, that was the glenfield branch i was implying....Nothing against the commercial gym if that's your thing..for the general masses, I'm just not part of the general people if you know what i mean. I know they are setting up a 'hardcore' gym down stairs there but really the image i get are a whole lot of idots prancing around saying that they got he the hardcore gym, as there were remours that to qualify to train in the hardcore gym you had to press 'X' amount aof weight to get in.

however i agreewith nate, with the garage / basement type gym idea and thats what i'm aiming for. Maybe i spend to much time on the tmuscle and elitefts site listening to dave tate ( he hates B.S ) and the likes. I think theres a need to get back to basics , forget the latest rocking body motion belt machines, instead try pushing a sled on the prowler and have a spew after.Have a look at the 'getstrength webstie' and their power rack, that's what i'm talking about. I think i'l go visit them one day.

Oh yeah now the peck-deck machine is out of order,at the gym, my guess it'll be like that for the rest of the year or so...

There has been a resurgence in "Basement Gyms" in the US for this very reason. One option would be to set up a club like Steak has with like minded people. I realise finances will always be an issue but there are very workable models for "club" setups rather than commercial gyms.

Dr Squat has made this model work on a greater scale with the mighty ESB, ask him if you are interested in going down this path. We have considered a similar approach with the Strongman stuff - time will tell. I also stumbled across a friend who happened to have an entire gym (we're talking leg press, two squat racks, multi-stations, DB sets, Olympic plates etc) rusting in his backyard. Who know I may see what I can beg, borrow or buy!

Alternately take some references from the members here and get some complimentary passes and try out a few recommended gyms.

Nate

Bro..that stuff has been sitting there under tarp for how long now?? 2 years? U need to get on his case and get him to do something with that gym equipment before they rust to pieces!!! :pfft: Y did he even buy it if its just going to sit there? :?

Nate

Bro..that stuff has been sitting there under tarp for how long now?? 2 years? U need to get on his case and get him to do something with that gym equipment before they rust to pieces!!! :pfft: Y did he even buy it if its just going to sit there? :?

LOL he told me you'd seen it!

Apparently its going under cover soon & I've suggested he sandblast the lot and repaint. If we had a few more keen peeps our way we could make an offer on the choice stuff and rent a shed..... would look mint in matt black next to the new collection of Atlas Stones! :nod:

however i agreewith nate, with the garage / basement type gym idea and thats what i'm aiming for. Maybe i spend to much time on the tmuscle and elitefts site listening to dave tate ( he hates B.S ) and the likes. I think theres a need to get back to basics , forget the latest rocking body motion belt machines, instead try pushing a sled on the prowler and have a spew after.Have a look at the 'getstrength webstie' and their power rack, that's what i'm talking about. I think i'l go visit them one day.

This is exactly why I'm digging the Netfit place down in Ellerslie. I just started working there, and it's solid - tons of strongman gear and good basic equipment. Plus it's never busy, and not a mirror to be found.

Heeheehee I just saw that a sit in crunch ab machine is now broke hahahaha, not that i use it, but it just shows that all this new equipment is crap and can't handle the mass of fat people who use it and walk on the treadmill for twenty minutes holding onto the sides instead of walking the street.

Its funny how people join a gym in order to avoid the hard stuff. i see so many people drinking the pre , during and post workout drinks, gulping down a whole lot of money but the just don't eat during the day, and you can tell cause they look the same from when they joined a year ago. So many people are either confused , ignorant ,stupid or all of that. Where's these trainer's that should me kicking these people up the arse isn't it what they get paid for. But I guess anyone can do a 6-8 week course at AUT and be a personal trainer, but of course we know that doesn't mean sh*t.

I'm not just talking power liftiing and strongman stuff but also bodybuilding as my interset, as anything to do with getting muscle under load is great in order to get bigger, faster and stronger depending on what you want.

Have a look at this from elitefts and share my frustration...

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/hate_fitness.htm

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater...much.

Hey big dog not surprised you're a hater on that slack ass gym in birkenhead. I was a member there too for a long time and then it all went to crap...

said about last sept that they would be closing for 6 weeks to do upgrade...hellooooo it's now March,they never closed cos they haven't done anything cept bring in shitty equipment and knock down a wall...

but they have the market wrapped up at 9.95 a week for most of the nowmal gym wanabees that sign up and last for a short amount of time it's more hassle than not to stop your a/p so @ $10 a week they don't bother cos they might just go back to the gym....yeah right :pfft:

and watch out akld city, south and even the tron...theys headed your way :shock: :clubbed: :horseshit:

I don't think they clean my gym ever, I 'stick' to the equipment, we have DBs made of actual iron! But I like it because it's cheap and nobody goes there because it's in such bad shape :grin: The leg press has been modified with a piece of wood for your feet to push and the spa pool is still yellow.....