Negative training

cantygirl

Well, talk about give the body a damn good shake up. Decided to do some negative training, after all if you are going to dish it out to the clients, its only fair that you experience the love too. Biceps were burning hot white and as for the calves :shock: I think I will train this way for the next few weeks and see what happens, keeping it super slow, can only manage 8-10 reps each set. Anybody else trying these?

Its working the eccentric phase of the exercise (negative). For example, when you perform a bicep curl the hard part is the lift (concentric) it is easy to go to failure during the concentric (contraction), however with negatives, you quickly perform the concentric then super slow release the eccentric. It is much harder to reach eccentric failure. Eccentric muscle contractions place higher levels of tension on muscles and are responsible for hypertrophy and soreness. Bring on the bulging biceps I say.

negatives for bicep curls... burning, burning... PT once gave me a routine which had 20 rep bb curls, 1s concentric (squeeze), 1s hold the squeeze, and 4s lower (eccentric) then no pause at the bottom. Doing that thru full range of motion, it was ab.so.lute.ly brutal :shock: :grin:

PT also had the same 1-1-4 tempo for bb squats. Taking 4s down used to slaughter my quads.

I've been trying negative chins - taking 4-5s to lower from top position to full-hang... it's similarly brutal but effective.

Do, or Do not, Cantygirl, there is no try... (sorry, had Yoda thoughts from Star Wars all day!).

Don't go into that squat routine half-hearted...you've got to grab it, and and work it hard. It's soooo good for mind-over-matter :nod:

Give them a go, your legs will eventually forgive you :pfft:

Do, or Do not, Cantygirl, there is no try... (sorry, had Yoda thoughts from Star Wars all day!).

Weak and obvious quote :?

"ah CantySan, you negative do yes or negative do no, you negative so so...squish like a grape"

Mr Mike y agi

Also you must train in a loud colourful headband and stand on one foot.