Preparing for Z day

tinytraps

nice work on the PB mate

Worked on timing leg drive off the bottom needs a lil more work, just got to get my feet further back and set my arch better. Was told that I had the ass comparable to beyonce today :o thats alright big glutes mean big power :nod:

ive noticed huge improvements in my benchwork w/arch and leg setup and with wrists aswell..keep it up m8

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

set up is key 8)

good train bro

Cheers bro :D

nice work on the PB mate

ive noticed huge improvements in my benchwork w/arch and leg setup and with wrists aswell..keep it up m8

Chur, ive been doing a metal millitia/tonka setup and it works well for me IMO. I get high up on my traps and tuck the legs back far enuf so that my heals are off the ground. Then when I take the lift off I drive them into the ground, real tight crampy feeling in the legs and back but mean leg drive from this setup.

The Back Attack

chin ups

bwx1x6

BB row

60x10

70x10

80x5

95x5x3

80x12

WG pulldowns

120x10

140x10

160x8x2

120x15

CSR

135x10

165x10

195x8x2

165x10

kroc row

45x30PB

Above knee rack pulls

60x10

80x10

100x5

120x3

140x3

160x3

180x3

200x3

Good train today, nice pump going on. Changed to 3x5 for rows felt strong. Pleased with the PB on kroc rows, will move to straight set db rows with the 50s next week. Chucked in the hi rack pulls to get some work on these tiny traps grip started to give out I feel I gould get 220/230 for reps fresh.

nice bit of back work TT, :nod:

Cheers bro 8)

Bodyweight sitting at 107, my journey into the 100s maybe over and my quest as a 110...gulp 125 even may begin :?

Also got a hold of some old school routines Jon Kuc, wade hooper squat, larry pacifico bench pluss a whole bunch of others may give them ago in the future.

For now some dave tate brilliance

The Oreo

Finally, this is NOT a meal or snack.

It is just another way to add some JACK.

Sometimes you have to do things to live your dream.

And yes, this may mean eating some cream.

This may not be the best habit to keep,

but remember when the rest of the world is asleep

you will be the one paying the price

as they wake to another day of chicken and rice.

Sometimes you need to eat healthy to stay clean,

but I am here to say you may have to eat like shit to be a machine.

This may be contrary to fact,

but skinny NOT—let's get JACKED.

If you want to grow up to be like the great King Kong,

then mark my words, you may need some Ding Dongs.

Listen up and make sure to get this right.

It all comes down to calories per bite.

Some of you may be saying, "Dave, you are whacked."

This is okay because I’m almost JACKED.

I have done what I needed to do.

And yes, I remember the picture at the zoo.

To keep from getting decked,

you should get your blood work checked.

A glass, ice cream, and root beer make a float—

just what is needed for a monster bloat.

Please don't get trapped.

You need to eat big to get JACKED.

There will be times when you’ll want to quit.

Walk to the mirror and look through your slits.

Your face is bloated and looks like dread,

but your arms are JACKED, you can't shave your head.

Eating in class once led to after school detention,

but a must this was to gain water retention.

Go to the store and hit the cookie isle.

Load the cart up with a big giant pile.

When you check out, you will pay the toll.

Never mind, this is the way to get ‘swole.’

The point I am trying to make

is really as simple as eating cake.

Candy bars, subs, and chips are the right track.

A great daily lunch this is to get JACKED.

It has to do with more than getting big.

For some of us, this may mean being a pig.

You see getting lean is a piece of cake.

It is getting big that makes most shake.

The thought of losing their abs

has them all taking jabs.

They need to get in the kitchen and crank up “back in black.”

Tear open a box of pop tarts and get JACKED.

They buzz­buzz­buzz like mosquitoes

when all they need is a bag of Doritos.

I will say this one more time.

What they say and do is such a crime.

They have their ass tied and bound.

Here is a clue — fudge round.

Dieting is easy when you set your way.

Adding mass is without a doubt a different day.

They have their way, and I have mine,

but please remember, I walk the line.

They might have been the head of the class,

but they can kiss my JACKED up ass!

You gotta love Dave Tate for being upfront 8)

Dave Tates my hero :D

OH+shoulders

Millitary press

barx10x2

30x5

40x5

50x1

57.5x5x3

Side laterals

10x10x2PB

5x10x2

Hi pulls

57x15

77x10

97x15PB

drop

57x25

Machine press

80x10

100x10PB

100x8

drop

60x10

Push jerk

40x1x5

50x1

60x1

70x1

Feeling strong today. MPs felt good slowly building up the strength. Pleased with the pbs. Thot Id try some push jerks the weights felt heavy but they exploded up i think fresh I may be good for 80-90kgs. Definetley good for the log press in the event that i try it.

Chur bro :P

Thought Id post my eats for yesterday

meal1: 4 whole eggs, 2slices wholemeal toast, 1 banana,300ml yoghurt, creatine

PWO: 300ml milk 2scoops whey creatine, banana

meal2: 300g beef mince, yoghurt, glass of milk

meal3: 300ml milk 2 scoops of whey, pear

meal4: 300g beef mince glass of milk

meal5: half chicken

meal6: 300ml milk 2scoops of whey.

Not overly high carbs, higher protein and fat old school styles. Im actually alot leaner(less fat) using this kinda diet than low fat.

Time to pull up your chairs kiddies schools in session 8)

Why you should Box squat

louie simmons

At Westside Barbell we have about 24 lifters. Seven of them have squatted 900 or more. In the 220 class, Chuck Vogelpohl has made 900. Mike Ruggiera, SHW, has gone from a meager 780 to join the elusive 1000 pound club, along with the late, great Matt Dimel. Mary Phillips set many world records by box squatting, as did the late Lee Moran. There is nothing new about box squatting.

The original Westside Barbell Club in Culver City, CA, was years ahead of its time in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Their Muscle Power Builder articles were my foundation in training. Roger Estep traveled from West Virginia to Culver City, and his squat jumped from a low 600 to a world record 765 at 198 due to box squatting. I noticed he was not only much stronger but also much more explosive.

I started doing box squats in the late 1960's. In 1973 I entered a meet that was what they now call raw: no power equipment, even to the point that I wore an Olympic weight belt backwards, so that the narrow side was in the back. Box squats mad it possible for me to squat 630 in the 181's and deadlift 670 to total 1655 in that meet. I made a 920 squat 27 years later at 235. The only man on the planet to do more in 2001 was Eddie Coan.

That's enough history. Let's get to why one should box squat.

Box squatting is the easiest way to learn to squat properly. Most everyone will start descending correctly, but at some point problems occur. To fix this, start on a box several inches above parallel. Squat down to the box. Then have a training partner take out a ½ or 1 inch mat or board. Again sit back, not down, on the box. When this feels right, take out a mat or board again until you are breaking parallel. Anyone can squat correctly if your coach or training partner is smart. You can't teach what you don't know.

You can squat very deep when using a box. Angelo Berardinelli has used a 6 inch box, and Amy Weisberger has squatted on a 4 inch box. Olympic lifters squat very deep, but they bounce out of the bottom. We flex.

Because one sits on a box and then flexes to overcome the resistance, box squats will quickly improve your pulling strength for deadlifts or Olympic pulls.

Box squats are much less taxing on the lifter, and by training at 50-60% of a 1 rep max for 10-12 sets of 2 reps, you can easily break your squat record. The muscular soreness is much less than with regular squatting. One of my former training partners, the No. 1 198 in 1984, could full squat only every 10 days due to the extreme soreness. However, learning to box squat, he found he could squat twice a week, once for speed day and once for max effort day, without any difficulty.

Many trainers have found that a great deal of flexibility can be developed while box squatting: by going lower than normally possible, and by using a wider stance.

You can isolate all the correct squatting muscles by sitting extremely far back on the box. By sitting back on the box to the extent that your shins are positioned past vertical, the glutes, hips, hamstrings, spinal erectors, and abs are totally pre-stretched and overloaded simultaneously, producing a tremendous stretch reflex.

When squatting on a box just below parallel, all your squats will be just below parallel. When doing regular squats, when the weight gets heavier, one will invariably squat higher and higher.

Doing static-overcome-by-dynamic work will build a great amount of explosive and absolute strength. Going from relaxed to dynamic work will also build tremendous explosive and absolute strength. Both types of work occur when box squatting. Some muscles are held statically, while others are actually relaxed.

Safety is always important. In powerlifting as in all other sports, injuries occur. I suffered a complete rupture of the patella tendon in 1991. At that time my best squat was 821 at 242. Rehabbing myself, I gained full range of motion and came back to squat 900 in two meets at 52 years old. I have never used knee wraps in training. I have used bands and bar weight combined at the top to equal over a grand with the weight on the box around 800 with no knee problems at all. How? I sit back for enough on the box where there is no pressure on my patella tendons.

Box squatting has made it possible for me to make a Top 10 total in 1972 without gear and to be no. 3 in 2001 in the open division at 242.

Let's finish with how and how not to box squat. First, how not to. The term rocking box squat has confused many, and this is understandable. At Culver City Westside Barbell Club, Bill West invented a method referred to as a "rocking box squat". First they would place a squat bar on safety rack pins at a level that would allow the lifter to sit on a box and by just arching the back the bar would clear the pins. A spotter from behind would place his arms around the lifter and by rocking him backward and then forward, the lifter could stand up with a large load assisted on the first rep and unassisted on a rep or two more. That is a rocking box squat, 60's style. They may or may not have slammed their feet down in a shock method. Here is the more modern, Columbus Westside method. First, use as wide a stance as possible. Wear groove briefs or a suit with the straps down. Position your feet so they point straight ahead and sit back, never down, until you are sitting on the box. The back is arched, the chest is held high, and the knees are pushed out to the sides. Use a wide hand grip to prevent biciptial tendonitis, and pull the elbows up and under to utilize the lats. When you are on the box, relax the hip muscles for an instant, then forcefully flex them by pushing against the bar. This will cause the spinal erectors to instantly flex, which activates the hips and then the hamstrings. The action is like doing a jerk in Olympic lifting. Try to flex on the box strong enough to stand up in one motion.

We are not trying to build muscles, but rather a huge squat. Your quads will sometimes get smaller, but your hamstrings and hips will grow greatly.

Remember to raise the traps into the bar first to ascend. If you push the feet into the floor first, you will find yourself in a semi good-morning position, which is wrong and dangerous.

I know someone out there will say there have been great squatters who never box squat. Well, are you one of those greats, or one of those who can't squat off the toilet with the Sunday paper?

Give it a try. I've given many reasons why you should try box squatting, and I can't think of one reason not to.

Louie simmons IMO has done more for strength training in the west than anyone else, just like uncle boris in the east :P

Lockout tris/Bis

Rack lockouts 4"

barx5

60x5x2

70x5

80x5

90x1

100x1

110x1

120x3PB

Vbar pushdowns

pin10x10

pin13x10x2PB

felt a lil niggle in right elbow

pin8x15x2

Skull crusher to nose

20x10

30x10

40x6

30x10

BB curls

20x5

30x5

40x5

55x5PB

Hammer curls

20x10PB

10x20

Full of PBs today feeling strong(er) the first rep on 120 was a real grind but focused on driving hard through the feet and the other 2 went up. New way of doing skulls to the nose great stretch on the tris harder than to the head for me will stick with these for the time being. Doing the novice comp at gillies ave next sunday so will do my sq opener mon bench opener tues, may decide to lift in my 48f6 which will be relatively loose. will give it a try and if I cant get it sorted ill lift raw. Going for 165/125(110)/190-200

More gold from west side

How to Bench Press 500 Easy

By: Louie Simmons

Everyone strives for a goal, one of which may be a 500 bench. The problem is how do you achieve it? For me it was a mystery until I discovered a method of training known as the conjugate method. This is done along with the dynamic method with submaximal weights on a second day, 72 hours later. Today we have 29 people who have done at least 500, four who have done over 600, and the youngest person ever to bench 700. Here's how.

On Sunday we use the dynamic method. The weight is 55% of a contest max with a shirt. If for some reason you compete without a shirt, 60% is used. We do 8-10 sets of 3 reps. It's best to use three or more grips In a workout. Most of the sets are done with a grip inside the power rings on the bar, that is, with the little finger inside the ring. Using grips inside the rings will aid greatly in triceps and anterior delt development.

The reps must be very explosive. Lower the bar quickly, but under control. Lowering contributes to raising, or concentric, strength. Lowering a bar slowly will

build muscle mass but not strength. Please, I beg you, stop reading bodybuilding magazines. They have contributed greatly to ruining strength training in the United

States. After all, plyometrics is the energy gained by the body dropping and then responding to that dropping with reversal, or explosive, strength.

The bar should be pushed back up in a straight line, not back over the face. This requires strong triceps. This path is a shorter distance and requires no shoulder rotation,

which is also much safer. The barbell will always seek the strongest muscle group; that's why most push the bar over the face. Their delts are stronger than their triceps. But it should be the reverse. One sees a lot of shoulder and pec injuries, but seldom do you see a triceps injury. Why? The triceps have never been pushed to their maximum, potential.

We do approximately 20 reps out of 200 above our training weight. We may add only 30-50 pounds to the bar, mainly to check that bar speed remains high. If your bar

speed, or reversal strength slows, you have a problem. After all, this would still be a very submaximal weight if you bench press 500 and train with 275, or 55%. You could

also do a few singles, but not with more than 90% and not very often. We found this interferes with the max effort day three days later.

After bench pressing, go first to triceps work. Basically 60 total reps are done with dumbbells, broken down into 5 sets of 10 reps or possibly 7 sets of 8 reps. The palms should be facing inward, toward the body, when dumbbells are used for extensions. When a barbell is used, 40 reps should be done, bringing the bar to the forehead, chin or throat.

Paul Dicks presses with a regular bar or a Safety Squat Bar can be done.

We do a lot of J.M. presses, named after J. M. Blakely: with a close grip, lower the bar to 4-5 inches off the chest above the nipples, hold for a split second, and press back up. This is a very effective exercise.

After triceps, do front raises with a bar, plate, or dumbbells. Heavy weights used. Also do side delts with dumbbells or a cable, rear delts, 4 or 5 sets of lats, a few hammer curls. Do delt and lat work by feel, but continuously do more and heavier weight.

Openers 1/3/10

Squat

barx5

60x3x2

70x3

80x1

90x1

add belt

100x1

add thp wraps

120x1

140x1

150x1

Deadlift (roundback)

60x1x2

70x1

80x1

90x1

Bench(paused)

barx3

40x3

50x1

60x1

70x1

add ww

80x1

90x1

100x1

Pec deck flye

2x10

Rope pushdown

2x15

Started a new job today labouring. Got the chance to do some stone lifting heaviest was about 110 and picked it pretty easily. Pretty draining lifting all day but im sure itll build some good GPP :nod: On to training. Squats felt awesome nice and fast depth was just there on track for a not suck squat come sunday. Tried some round back deads for speed felt good depending on how fried my back is come sunday will pull this way. Bench: sucked ass. Felt unstable bench was lower than im use too had trouble getting push off the bottom. The decents were sloppy had issues with getting tight. Real slow off the chest had a feeling things would get this way but Ive come up with a way to (hopefully) fix it. Not a good end to a decent build up :evil:

loving the volume bro \:D/

Bench: sucked ass. Felt unstable bench was lower than im use too had trouble getting push off the bottom. The decents were sloppy had issues with getting tight. Real slow off the chest had a feeling things would get this way but Ive come up with a way to (hopefully) fix it. Not a good end to a decent build up :evil:

keep working at it bro, everyone hits snags, just hit that setup

Nice train man.

Just trying to you freaks :pfft:

loving the volume bro \:D/
Bench: sucked ass. Felt unstable bench was lower than im use too had trouble getting push off the bottom. The decents were sloppy had issues with getting tight. Real slow off the chest had a feeling things would get this way but Ive come up with a way to (hopefully) fix it. Not a good end to a decent build up :evil:

keep working at it bro, everyone hits snags, just hit that setup

My bench has actually gone backwards within the last month although all my ME lifts are increasing. Going back to a powerlifting focused programme and ditching the hi rep stuff. Also splitting up Squats and deads to be fresh for both.

OH+ all sorts

Millitary press

20x10x2

50x5

60x5x3

Log press

70x1xmx3

70x1( used jerk)

Lat pull downs

2x10

Bench

barx5x2

40x5

50x5

60x3

Powercleans

60x1x2

70x1

80x1

90x1PB

Had a train at the akoranga au gym today, basically had the platform to myself haha. Tried the log today getting it up was easy enuf but had trouble getting it over head it would stall at about nose level. Used the jerk and pushed my head right through and it flew up easy as. Need to do some more work with the lof and oh work to not embarass myself at otahuhu sm in april.

Muck around 4/3/10

Squats

60x1x10

Farmers holds

40+handlesx30s

80+handlesx30s

Pushdowns

3x10

Appolons axle

40+barx1x5

80+barxmiss

60+barx3

40xbarxlots of singles

EDIT: had a 45min conditioning session for a uni class today consisted of lots of stuff I suck at especially running and bw stuff, absolutley knakkered by the end

Just mucking around with all the strongman equipment at the AUT gym looking at joining up there. Grip wasnt an issue with the farmers or the axle. Need to work on some of my oly technique to help with this, looking at adding in some strongman training with my powerlifting.