Does fruit at night put on fat?

carve

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a very simplistic question. It all depends on the total calorie intake for the day and your metabolism. At night I eat a plate of rice and chicken followed by mandarins, prunes, couple of bananas, fruit juice and I dont put on fat.

For me even when I am dieting I eat a couple of bananas before bed.

This is another myth that people subscribe to that eating carbs at night puts on fat.

I find it hard to see how fructose is a complex sugar. It is a monosaccharide, the most simplest of sugars, and is itself a pentose.

Without backing myself up I am going to say that fructose has in at least one experiment, peer reviewed but without being confirmed, to be a bigger contributor to fat than other simple sugars including other common monosaccharides (glucose) and disaccharides (sucrose).

Whether the science is there or not about fructose specifically we have to all use a bit of common sense and just ensure a balanced diet through out the day. I can't see anything horribly wrong with eating a piece of fruit before bed but as agent86 points out it depends on many other factors. Have you written any sort of meal plan? How are you training? Are you training? The question needs to be a little more specific.

It's a bit like saying "I am trying to bulk and am having a protein shake before bed, will this make me massive?" If that's your only source of protein all day then I'd say categorically no!

How does this fruit tie in with other parts of your diet? Do you want to be 2%BF or just want to lose weight to a healthy 12%?

Fructose sugar and the glycemic index

The natural fruit sugar fructose has one of the lowest glycemic indexes of any food - with a rating of only 20, compared to 31 for skim milk, 59 for sucrose (ordinary table sugar), and 98 for an equal weight of mashed potatoes. This means that 1 ounce of fructose raises your blood sugar only about 1/3 as much as an ounce of sucrose, and it releases only about 1/3 as much insulin. And a mashed potato raises your blood sugar almost 5 times higher than a comparable amount of fructose! High glycemic index carbohydrates can cause major problems for your body's fat control program.

Saying certain foods make you fat is not quite right. eating excess calories makes you fat. Certain foods will spike Insulin and promote fat storage but only if excess calories are consumed. Also excess insulin will inhibit fat burning.

It is false to say eating fruit will make you fat. It is just too simplistic. Also insulin response can be altered by combining with low GI foods at the same meal.

This is another myth that people subscribe to that eating carbs at night puts on fat.

:roll: just another myth- people believe anything they're told these days. Did you know that you can get as big as a pro bodybuilder without taking steroids? :pfft:

It's a bit like saying "I am trying to bulk and am having a protein shake before bed, will this make me massive?" If that's your only source of protein all day then I'd say categorically no!

How does this fruit tie in with other parts of your diet? Do you want to be 2%BF or just want to lose weight to a healthy 12%?

good post :clap:

Without backing myself up I am going to say that fructose has in at least one experiment, peer reviewed but without being confirmed, to be a bigger contributor to fat than other simple sugars including other common monosaccharides (glucose) and disaccharides (sucrose).

Yeah I'm not falling for the fruit makes you fat thing. I read somewhere that studies on fructose used high-fructose corn syrup not fruit. It's possible some people might have a propensity to store fat from sugar more easily. If that worries you eat low sugar fruit like berries. 100g raspberries has 2.3g fructose. Big deal! The 6g of fibre will probably stop it being absorbed. More likely to get fat looking at a big mac poster or eating more calories than you burn.

Yeah I'm not falling for the fruit makes you fat thing. I read somewhere that studies on fructose used high-fructose corn syrup not fruit. It's possible some people might have a propensity to store fat from sugar more easily. If that worries you eat low sugar fruit like berries. 100g raspberries has 2.3g fructose. Big deal! The 6g of fibre will probably stop it being absorbed. More likely to get fat looking at a big mac poster or eating more calories than you burn.

I totally agree with you. Most of it comes down to common sense. Diet is so complex it will be sometime before we know what does what. We know there are more calories in a Big Mac than a handful of berries. In saying that trying to lose weight by healthy means calls for strict control of diet and sufficient exercise. If you were to only eat one big mac a day you'd lose weight. Could be an interesting diet for those addicted to junk food...

Right on the money there spector, also the amount of fructose you would find in a piece of fruit is far less than what there is in say a can of coke for example which is packed full of high fructose corn syrup.

From what Ive seen all the worries come from the fact that fructose has to be metabolised in the liver so it is easy to overload this metabolic pathway and potentially send the fructose into a storage/fat path.

Just factor it into your daily cal budget and worry about more important things :grin:

:roll: just another myth- people believe anything they're told these days. Did you know that you can get as big as a pro bodybuilder without taking steroids? :pfft:

not sure what your getting at "it is a myth that eating carbs at night will incur more fat storage" excess calories will make you gain weight. some long distance runners eat all their calories at night without gaining weight its basic science less calories than u need will cause weight loss no matter what you eat or when you eat it.

but with bodybuilding we get the timings right and balance of carbs fats and protiens right to ensure less muscle loss when dieting.

you will loose weight if you eat 2 pies before bed if you are getting not enough calories during the day.

I think there is two arguments here

1. Does fruit make you fat

2. Does eating late at night make you fat

I think neither makes you fat.

Like everyone says its the total calories you consume. But in saying that i definately think not all carloies are created equal and timing does make a difference. The fruit might have the same amount of sugar as a lolly or something but the extra fibre in the fruit will require more energy to digest/process. Also the fibre is going to slow down the absorbtion into the blood stream so its like drip feeding the muscles rather than binge/starve. The cells in the muscles will then use a more constant amount of energy rather than try to conserve.

Same goes with eating all your calories late at night. Your body functions best when it maintains its blood suger levels within a certain range. Eating 2 pies at night is going to f*ck that up.

But then it begs the question 'what's the time between your last meal and bed?' I am somewhere around 1/2hr-1hr. There is no way I can sleep 15mins after eating, my metabolism won't let me. I feel that much longer than 1/2hr-1hr and your loosing out over night.

I would rather eat a complex carb before bed and a more complex protein source than WPI. Casein has it's case put forward if you have to have a shake.

But then it begs the question 'what's the time between your last meal and bed?' I am somewhere around 1/2hr-1hr. There is no way I can sleep 15mins after eating, my metabolism won't let me. I feel that much longer than 1/2hr-1hr and your loosing out over night.

I would rather eat a complex carb before bed and a more complex protein source than WPI. Casein has it's case put forward if you have to have a shake.

yeah i find that if i eat right before bed i can't sleep. TBH as long as you're eating roughly 6 meals per day and spacing them out over 2-3 hours it doesn't matter too much when you eat them

EMC wrote:

1000 calorie shakes before you go to bed is going to put on fat

This is not true unless other factors are specified.

This is where people make a statement that without quantifying other factors

1000 calorie shake before bed will not make you fat if this replaces dinner. Ypu did not say what this person ate the rest of the day. This is the problem with many people on this site. They make a statement in isolation but forget to mention the whole picture. How much food did they consume throughout the day, how much exercise, what sort of food etc etc?

Think before you make a blanket statement!

i agree totally with you agent 86

some people can only consume their calories late at night and will still loose weight if their calorie deficient

its not the best way for body builders and maybe not the healthiest for the average person but it will still acheive results

Jarod the subway man would still have gotten skinny with his 3 subway sandwiches eaten all at the same time before bed or even if he ate them at 3am if he didnt eat them for breakfast lunch and tea.

people should be more specific and give more information if making a broad statement about weight loss or fat gain as so many factors come into play.

I have a meal of oven chips and chicken fried in olive oil followed by prunes,mandarins,bananas,maybe rice wafers with either cheese or honey all just before I go to bed. In fact I am still eating bananas as I get into bed.

I have a true mass shake with a banana probably about 600-700 calories during the night. I don't get fat.

In fact I have trouble putting on weight. Mind you I have a metabolism of a hummingbird.

Team Fatboy wrote:

OK, I admit it... my earlier response was lousy in many respects... but jeez 86, can I have your metabolism ?

For normal people it is probably a good idea to avoid too many carbs before bed.I wouldn't advise everyone to eat like me. It's hard work trying to get the calories in when bulking but the metabolism comes in handy when dieting. However miss a few meals and lose muscle mass.

Team fatboy can I have your calves?

TeamFatboy wrote:

fructose is a complex sugar.. so like any other carb it should really be avoided last thing at night.

This is true according to many people when dieting. Many limit carbs after a certain time and I do limit fruit when dieting, I just wanted to point out that there are different ideas and metabolisms out there.

I need carbs at night when dieting to help me sleep. Carbs release seratonin and help sleep. Many bodybuilders who don't eat carbs at night find it hard to sleep. So do we limit carbs and then not sleep and limit recovery or have carbs and limit fat loss.

I'm just picking but...

...I still fail to see what is complex about fructose. It is not a complex sugar. It enters the metabolic pathway different to glucose but it is a simple sugar, you can't get a more simple sugar than a monosaccharide. Bio availabilty is different among simple sugars, and this is perhaps why it is being referred to as complex; complex sugars or carbohydrates are long chain sugars not simple monosaccharides like fructose. Just because something takes longer to digest doesn't make it more complex. In reference to sugars(carbo's) complex is in regards to the chain length rather than digestibility.

Please excuse my anal nature but it is not a complex sugar.

None the less I've had my bed time meal, including an evil plum. I let you all know if the plum gets fat or I get fat with it.