Protein for women

Lil Miss

I am wanting to start taking protein and am looking for a good one (and yummy) that is suitable for women.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am currently going to the gym 5 mornings a week but am a little bit disappointed with the results so far. I want shape and definition but it doesnt seem to be happening. My program is reviewed every 6-8 weeks and i am doing weights every second day, with cardio in the middle.

Any ideas?

Welcome to the forums :D

I am yet to see a protien powder that is not suitable for women.

Try:

http://www.eatme.net.nz/

Some more information would allow better help from everyone.

What is your diet like? Post up what you would eat in a normal day.

What are your stats? (Age, weight, height etc.)

How long have you been going to the gym?

How long do you spend at the gym?

Thanks for your speedy response!

I will check out that website.

My stats:

Age 26

Weigh 52kg

Height is approx 151cm

I have been going to the gym for over a year now but have only really got into it seriously over the past few months. I am spending approx 45 minutes doing weights and on my cardio days i am spending approx 20 minutes on the treadmill.

My normal daily diet would be:

5.15am black coffee

6.45am Cereal with yoghurt of scrambled eggs on toast

10am Piece of fruit and 10 almonds

1pm Tuna and rice or tuna sandwich

3pm 3 x rice crackers

6.30pm Dinner which generally consists of meat and salad - sometimes kumara.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions :nod:

I don't know how much effort you put in at the gym but a quote I like is:

"You get out what you put in"

What are your goals?

How much water do you drink a day?

I don't know much about diets sorry. I just eat heaps of good food and my large amount of exercise takes care of the rest :pfft:

Many of the other members on here will be able to help you with that though.

Hey there. Re disappointing results, I'm presuming fat loss? Have you worked out whether your daily calorie intake meets/exceeds your requirements? That'd be the first place to start. Plenty of formulas for calculating requirements around, as well as calorie counters online. Some good places to start would be:

Calorie requirements:

http://cordianet.com/calculator.htm

Note regarding that site, I disagree with their extreme reduction of 500 calories for fat loss. I think this is too much and contributes to people falling off the wagon. In my opinion, a calorie deficit of 300 calories will yeild the same, if not better, results.

I plugged in your info and got 2027 calories for maintenance. I'd suggest 1727 calories a day for fat loss, eating at maintenance calories every few days.

Calorie counters:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3066/2

http://www.fitday.com/

Yep it's boring and it sucks but if you don't have any idea re the calories you're eating it's just guess work. Once you start it becomes easier to gauge things.

So you're happy with your current weight but looking to add more muscle to get "toned and shaped"? Sorry, it's still not clear. I presumed fat loss.

If you want to add a bit of muscle, you don't want a calorie deficit. But you still need to work out how many calories you're eating to establish a baseline, a starting point. After that, you can look at making sure you're eating for your goals. More calories for growth, less calories for fat loss.

There's also the whole protein/carbs/fats thing to consider after working out your calorie requirements.

Page two of this thread has some ideas re how to eat for muscle gain while minimising fat gain (for a woman).

You still need to work out how many calories you're eating though, so you can make sure you're eating enough. And as previously noted, you might want to also look at protein/carb/fat ratios after you've had a look at your actual food calories. I think Fitday does that for you. I haven't used it but others on here do.

Maybe also try searching the forums on here (e.g. diet/nutrition) for some meal/diet plans to give you an idea of recommendations people have made in the past re meal composition. It may not suit you exactly but you can modify/add food to suit your requirements.

I know you're looking for advice re a protein powder, I'm not suggesting don't get one, I just think taking some time now to look at how much and what you eat is going to benefit you more in the short and long term, especially if you haven't until now. You could always just buy a protein powder and carry on trying to wing it :grin:

P.S. Re meal comp, you may not care too much, in fact many would say just eat big. But as a female, whacky hormones and other crap make it that bit harder to get rid of fat, so eating for muscle gain while minimising fat gain, can be a bit of a balancing act. It's why I prefer the slow and steady approach discussed in that link over the eat big route guys are generally more able to get away with.

If you've been going to the gym for over a year but are disappointed with your results, I'd also look at what you're doing in the gym. More than 12 months is a very long time to not get the results you want, especially if your program is being reviewed every 6-8 weeks, even with inadequate diet.

Kinda weird how Chris C replied for you yesterday, what's up with that? :wink:

I use Balance Whey Protein Powder, im a little fussy and need the sweetness and flavour, its not a gluggy one so makes nice shakes and is good in oats for breakfast. Why don't you ditch the 3 rice crackers and add a protein shake, I find with those little crackers that 3 doesn't cut it, I end up having a whole row.

• 4 months later...

Hey

A friend recommended Red 8 to me about a year ago, and I have eaten it ever since, it's made in NZ and all natural ingredients, sweetened with stevia, so nothing artificial.They have whey,soy,rice,and pea protein.They have the usual vanilla,strawberry,banana,and choc.I stick with vanilla and add cinnamon,2-3 cups of water and blend with some physillium and or guar gum, it thickens it into something like instant pudding, sometimes grate a bit of lemon or orange zest into it-it is very filling,and tricks you into thinking you have had alot of dessert with no carbs and very few calories!