Anti-cardio?

Peachy

WTF is wrong with people? Grrrrr I am so sick of people at my gym coming up to me and telling me that I do alot of cardio. :roll:

AND WHAT!!!?? :evil:

Does anyone else notice that people are sometimes anti-cardio? The instructors at the gym tell me that I don't need to do that much cardio blah blah blah but do you ever see them teling people they do not need to lift that much weight?? Of course bloody not.

I am soo angry this morning i was running on the treadmill and one of the instructors came up to me and said he wanted to show me some kettle bell exercises. I said why. He said you will get better results. I said im on a maintenance program i already have the results I want. He said you don't need to do that much cardio to maintain. I said I like cardio and the ummm endorphins?? it gives me. Anyways I let him show me some kettle bell exercises. they were good and i might include them in my workout. But im not doing less cardio. thats the funnest part for me atm.

Why do they even have cardio equipment there if they are going to tell people not to use it? :evil:

I've been ranting all day to my work mates but no one understands :cry:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most people that aren't endurance athletes do tend to over-emphasize cardio (and to the exclusion of other equally important targets) because they think it's more important than it is, and most people have the idea that cardio equals 'fitness'.

But the other side of that coin is that I'm not a douchebag about people doing what they want to do. If you didn't come ask me my thoughts on the matter, I'm not about to come tell you what you "should" be doing, either. That's lame.

I don't know your goals or why you're doing it to begin with, so it's a bit presumptuous to show up and just say you're wrong, like that trainer did.

I'm anti cardio because I just don't enjoy it, but if you like it and it's the funnest bit for you and you get a great endorphin rush, then bugger what anyone else thinks!

Pretty rude coming up sticking their nose in, like others have said, without knowing you or your goals. They probably mean well, but so does everyone.

I'm with Hans

Tell them to piss off?

Do as much cardio as you want - its your body. Some trainers - sheeze! :roll:

Personally - I hate cardio but only do it so I don't turn into a fat bastard - I love my food. I'm gonna' have to learn to love cardio for the next 14 to 16 odd weeks - bloody precontest diets! :crazy:

Nup Im small but Im not too thin.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6721&start=200

Anyways they are not going up to the big boys and telling them to do less weights and more cardio :roll: Lol I think some of them can't do cardio anyways they walk with their legs too far apart they would need two treadmills.

Oh my heck my arse is so sore today from those bloody kettle bell exercises.

Well what are your goals?

Not that I want to defend the guy, cause that was a dick-move, but it may not be a matter of telling people, randomly, that they're doing too much of X - like telling the guys they're lifting too much, as in your example.

There's a lot to be said for goal specificity in training, in that what you do should ideally be moving you towards your goal, and it could be that he thinks you're doing too much cardio for your goals.

There are many tools in the chest to get the right results Peachy. The trainer was certainly in the wrong to approach you and try and give you advice. As mentioned in the post previously, he was more than likely touting for business.

There is a lot of research done into short intense metabolic conditioning circuits verses long drawn out cardio and the results are topical to say the least.

The bottom line is what works for you, works for you.