steroids/supplements/prohormones???

grogiedog

Hi grogiedog -

Both steroids and prohormones are illegal in NZ.

As for other supplements - what are you wanting to achieve? Honestly, you usually don't need much more than a protein powder. (In fact, you don't even NEED that - but it does make it much easier to get the extra protein that bodybuilders require)

Tell us a bit more about your training and experience and goals, perhaps...

8)

thanks for your reply-I've been ordering protein for a while now from bodybuilding.com - even with postage expenses it works out significantly cheaper than any shop i've brought from in NZ. They have a huge range of products and I wanted to know what I could or couldn't get. Right, no prohormones and no steroids - that makes it easier. I'm looking for something that will speed up recovery time (i've got glutamine and creatine). I'm an ectomorph 6'2'' with long limbs, have been training for 15 months-was about 80kg am now 93- want to be 100 by the new year. Have been hovering around 92 for the last two months which has been frustrating. However I have changed my diet in the last week to five meals a day plus protein drinks and have felt a lot better(more pumped). Still, i'm looking for some effective supplements (that work), and if they're legal and the right price will give them a go. Any suggestions?

hey grogiedog,i know the feeling,i've been working out for 4 years and 2 years serious,i take 4 good quality protein shakes a day,slow releasing and fast and i have gained weight but not alot,i have comprehended using pro hormones as i've heard they dont have many side effects,and guys have gained atleast 3 kgs in 2 weeks!but i researched it and they do have side effects so it ruled those out,and plus i wanna do it the natural way,all i can say is keep the trainin regular,make sure u are getting at least 1.5-2 grams of protein per pound of bdyweight and more calories eaten than r consumed in your day,so in otherwords see a good pt or nutritionist and they will help you out,hope i helped a lil bit

Other things you could try include ZMA (it seems to be coming back into favour now :P), or HMB.

NFS make a good multivitamin with ZMA included in it. I think it's called "Sports Multi", and it's reasonably priced. I use that one, more as insurance than anything else. I almost think I can see the difference when I'm taking it, but it may just be placebo...

But jerume's right - nothing can beat real food. Do you know your daily protein total? I'm guessing it should be somewhere between the 300g-400g mark for you...

Also, if you're really an ectomorph (but I suspect most of us tall, lean bodybuilders jump to that conclusion too quickly :D) you'll need to get in a lot of carbs as well.

yeh i took zma and i really liked it,i didnt take it long enough too see major results but i've heard it's worth while taking it,i used kaizen zma,it's a good price and highly recommended,i was gonna take hmb but i read about it in muscular development and they said there arent alot of studies saying that it actually produces results,so i thought i'd save my money until there is solid proof that it works,if u got alot of $ id recommend using something like sterone by nfs,it's zma and their own formula called pmz or sumthing like that :P ,it's quite expensive but i've heard aot of good stuff bout it

hey guys, intersting thread, and i think its a common prob, i started training seriously over 2 years ago and have taken long breaks out between trainings, the best thing i have found is to keep the carbos high, as they have a positive effect in sparing protein consumption for the body.

creatine works well, although don't take it with any citrus mix, and you gota cycle it otherwise you'll just pump up with water (also have to raise h2o intake while loading)

tribulus can also be used, dunno if its placebo effect, but i definitely fealt more 'energised' while using it, and made sum impressive gains.

but the most important thing is to load those carbos, and to snack/eat regularly.Trib is supposed to 'naturally' raise lutenizing hormone levels, thus intern raising testosterone levels....have read on the net, that it doesn't really raise serum levels of test.but i certainly 'fealt' more pumped from it, and it seems to be the next best thing to taking pro-hormones, which i also looked at, yep they got side effects.....zma is a good product, and is very pop. with athlets now-a-days.

i've found it important to take a good supplement maybe up to4- 5 shakes a day, to help fill in those balank spots when you cant get to the fridge.....i don't eat raw eggs no more..

i was 82 kg's, at 6ft and after 1 month of training put on 13 k'gs, so was 95, not bad but i learnt a lot from my 'early' years of training....eat more carbs, in fact you can eat just about anything while bulking....

cheers and good luck, hope that helps.... :)

• 2 months later...

Hey Guy

Thought I would add my favorites

I keep it simple I have 2 Mass shakes 60% protien 30 % Carbs in the morning between meals, 100 gms per serve. Then 3 whey shakes in the afternoon between meals 60 gm serves.

I use 'The whey' and 'The Mass' by Musashi and I use shakes because it is cheap and convienent.

I then use a Creatine / Glucose drink during and after training called Creatine Recovery Stack. I mix up 125 gm to 2 litres sipping it thought my work out then skulling the last 1/2 litre at the end. 125 gm serve get you 15 gm creatine 10 gm glutimine 6 gms of BCAAs 2 gm hmb 6 gm of taurne , and obviously about 80 gm of carbs. Like Nik mentions carbs can keep you anabolic and allow the protien you take through the day and the Aminos you take after training to do what you want them to ...build muscle.

I take this stack because again its cheap and the most comprehensive when it comes to ingredients.

Apart from that I take Omega 3,6,9 and Glucosimine for joints. and that just about dose it in the of season.

All the best

Jonathan Davie

• 3 weeks later...

RE: Supplments and training, as Arnold once said there is no such thing as over training only under eating and under sleeping!

To eat lots of good quality food is hard which is why Jon Davies post is so true, to eat lots you need supplements. Often a good whey or protein blend and some good complex carbo powder will do. Creatine, HMB, L-Glutamine are all good but dont sacrifice eating enough calories to take some fancy creatine transport formula. It starts with good protein and carbs and some EFAs. The rest are not essential. Also i have tried every powder there is - ok well almost all and by NZ made is all i say. We hav ethe best diary industry in the world and great flavours too so dont belive the american hype!