what do you all do with left over egg yokes?

Sunshine

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nothings "wrong" with them.. some people use just the egg white cause they dont want to injest the fat content. Maybe they are doing a calorie deficit diet and need to stick to a certain macro nutrient intake. If your not then eat them all i think they are great.

nothings "wrong" with them.. some people use just the egg white cause they dont want to injest the fat content. Maybe they are doing a calorie deficit diet and need to stick to a certain macro nutrient intake. If your not then eat them all i think they are great.

jst watch ur cholesterol cus egg yolks hav a shitload of it :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Custard is the classic egg yolk use. Custards squares if you like to bake. I don't. Custard is easy enough. During a high cal diet of course. Yeah, I'm fairly careful on the cholesterol but it's in all animal products so you don't have much choice but to consume in your beef, chicken breast etc... so, I usually bin them. The f'n weird dog where I stay doesn't touch 'em; it's time for him to move to Wellsford.

Yeah, I'm fairly careful on the cholesterol but it's in all animal products so you don't have much choice but to consume in your beef, chicken breast etc... so, I usually bin them.

Cholesterol in egg yolks isn't bad. Use them fresh and raw, egg yolks are one of the few sources of lipase. Lipase helps your body utilise cholesterol, thereby lowering cholesterol levels. Cooking destroys the lipase. But still, egg yolks contain choline, fat soluble vitamins (one of the few foods naturally containing Vitamin D)... These nutrients and others found in the yolk (and not the white) are mucho importento.

Yeah, I'm fairly careful on the cholesterol but it's in all animal products so you don't have much choice but to consume in your beef, chicken breast etc... so, I usually bin them.

Cholesterol in egg yolks isn't bad. Use them fresh and raw, egg yolks are one of the few sources of lipase. Lipase helps your body utilise cholesterol, thereby lowering cholesterol levels. Cooking destroys the lipase. But still, egg yolks contain choline, fat soluble vitamins (one of the few foods naturally containing Vitamin D)... These nutrients and others found in the yolk (and not the white) are mucho importento.

I think the jury is still out on that one. It also really depends how many eggs one is eating per day. Egg yolks are high in fat and cholesterol both of which have been found to increase the risk of heart disease but there is also debatable evidence like Rose posted above. I like to keep things safe and knowing what other foods I am ingesting through out the day I choose on occasion to remove the yolk based on the fact it contains much cholesterol and fat. It is a bit like salt, it is needed and it is in or added to most foods. What I am saying is to be pragmatic rather than blanket everything in a yes or no category. If one ate no fats, cholesterol or salt it would lead to very poor health but to over consume any of these things will lead to very poor health also. This is one reason why modern western society is struggling with heart disease; over consumption and lack of exercise.

You guys heard of those Omega-3 eggs up in Canada? Interesting stuff. They feed the chickens with flax seeds which increase the omega-3 fatty acids which in turn can also reduce cholesterol. Why is no one in NZ doing this? Is there?

Egg yolks are high in fat and cholesterol both of which have been found to increase the risk of heart disease but there is also debatable evidence like Rose posted above.

Debatable evidence that lipase is the fat-splitting enzyme your body uses to break down fats in food so that they can be absorbed/utilised? If a fat, i.e. cholesterol, is not fully utilised, then it's going to end up somewhere, likely unhealthy. Very few foods contain lipase, raw egg yolk is one.

Among others, choline is also an essential vitamin that I'd bet money is vastly under-rated when it comes to ensuring ADI.

Research shows that only 1 out of every 10 Americans gets enough choline.

No we're not Amercians specifically, but comparable.

Not suggesting that everyone eat all their egg yolks, but as a source of nutrients you're doing yourself a disservice if you dismiss them.

The research done on fat and cholesterol, who is it conducted on? And do they differentiate between sources of cholesterol and trans-fats? Not usually, that I've seen.

Rose, I agree that you can debate your points successfully.

I totally agree eggs are good as a food and have never dismissed them. But like anything I am sure they can be overdone. In the case of an egg we can choose to eat the yolk or white. It's a bit like choosing cassein or whey for different reasons. Pragmatism is the secret to most things.

Egg are good, aside from the missguided facts about their cholesterol, my trainig partner eats about 20 whole eaggs a week and I envy his muscular development!!!! He grows like a freak!!!!!! Eggs would be his main source of protein too.

I eat at least 20 whole eggs a week and haven't had a problem with cholesterol. Like any other food, eggs should be eaten in moderation- it's no different

The whole cholesterol debate is flawed, all about drug companies making money from pills.

I don't think anyone debates whether high blood LDL levels or similar is a major cause of heart disease any more.

The question isn't so much about is cholesterol bad but what causes cholesterol to be bad in the form of high levels of LDL in the blood stream. Saturated fats can be a cause like those found in egg yolks and other animal products. Whether lipase is in eggs or not is beside the point as it has been shown to increase as well as decrease hardening of the arteries. There are very many factors that are totally outside of most people on this forum including me. Genetics might be the biggest influence to which we have no control accept through drugs and eating habits.

The drugs you talk about do lower blood LDL levels which can benefit many people and probably both of us in another 50yrs. Reducing my cholesterol intake along with saturated fats by choosing not to eat egg yolks all the time can not be a bad thing especially if they are being consumed in another part of my diet. That does not mean I don't eat egg yolks or think they are bad but whether I do or don't is just another way of manipulating my diet. This might be even more pertinent when there is a family history of high cholesterol levels and heart disease.

Yes, I do eat custard, I think it's f'n great!

Whether lipase is in eggs or not is beside the point

I disagree. Many people are quick to presume that eggs contribute to high cholesterol based on research that I personally (and many others) consider irrelevant. Yet few people take the time to extol the virtues of egg yolks.

People all too readily state they don't eat egg yolks because they're bad. I prefer to counter this with reasons why it's good to include egg yolks in a balanced diet, and remind people that studies used to back up claims are not necessarily relevant to the view being presented.

It's not about being right or wrong but showing that both arguments are debatable.

Yes a history of heart disease would make you more wary, of all types of cholesterol and other contributing factors. I feel egg yolks get a bad run here, and in the cholesterol debate in general. Egg yolks contain an array of nutrients that assist cholesterol synthesis, among other functions. More so than other sources of protein and fat. To dismiss this as beside the point is ignorant.

I'm of the opinion that so many people neglect foods (like egg yolks), based on incomplete or irrelevant 'science', thus contributing to a world of unhealthy people who then turn to modern science for 'medication' in order to become 'well'.

If the people at risk of heart disease had in general lived more healthily, then consuming cholesterol likely wouldn't be a concern. The fact they have high cholesterol, and by that I mean low HDL and high triglycerides, the indication there is a problem, probably stems from the fact that they didn't look after their machine and it's paying them back.

Awareness is the key.

Whether lipase is in eggs or not is beside the point

I disagree. Many people are quick to presume that eggs contribute to high cholesterol based on research that I personally (and many others) consider irrelevant. Yet few people take the time to extol the virtues of egg yolks.

People all too readily state they don't eat egg yolks because they're bad. I prefer to counter this with reasons why it's good to include egg yolks in a balanced diet, and remind people that studies used to back up claims are not necessarily relevant to the view being presented.

It's not about being right or wrong but showing that both arguments are debatable.

Yes a history of heart disease would make you more wary, of all types of cholesterol and other contributing factors. I feel egg yolks get a bad run here, and in the cholesterol debate in general. Egg yolks contain an array of nutrients that assist cholesterol synthesis, among other functions. More so than other sources of protein and fat. To dismiss this as beside the point is ignorant.

I'm of the opinion that so many people neglect foods (like egg yolks), based on incomplete or irrelevant 'science', thus contributing to a world of unhealthy people who then turn to modern science for 'medication' in order to become 'well'.

If the people at risk of heart disease had in general lived more healthily, then consuming cholesterol likely wouldn't be a concern. The fact they have high cholesterol, and by that I mean low HDL and high triglycerides, the indication there is a problem, probably stems from the fact that they didn't look after their machine and it's paying them back.

Awareness is the key.

I totally agree with you and I should probably look at the glass and say it is half full (like yourself Rose) rather than half empty. Yep, egg yolks are a good food and should be part of a healthy and balanced diet.

On lipase it has shown to be beneficial in reducing artery hardening but it has also been shown to increase it. It is one of those things we know stuff all about. It forms LDL from lesser density lipoproteins rather than breaking it down and that's about all we know for sure. What can be said about lipase is that it seems to almost regulate artery hardening rather than reducing or increasing it.

On lipase it has shown to be beneficial in reducing artery hardening but it has also been shown to increase it. It is one of those things we know stuff all about. It forms LDL from lesser density lipoproteins rather than breaking it down and that's about all we know for sure. What can be said about lipase is that it seems to almost regulate artery hardening rather than reducing or increasing it.

Re lipase studies:

- What was the purpose of the study

- Who was the study conducted on

- Did their diet exclude trans-fats

- Did the study involve dietary lipase or supplemental lipase

Regardless of the answers re the studies, this comes back to my point about using studies to confirm a point of view. From what I can find, studies on lipase used supplemental lipase. As you know correlation does not imply causation, so in order to apply the results of any studies they need to be studies conducted on dietary lipase, and if being used to back up any claims made about eggs, then raw egg yolks. Not supplemental lipase grown in a petri dish.

The reason I bring this up is that so often people read something then repeat it. Thus starts a new instalment of purple monkey dishwasher. Someone might read this and now think eggs are bad because they contain lipase and there's a possibility lipase increases risk of artery hardening. They tell someone, who tells someone else, etc.

Lipase becomes moot when eggs are cooked anyway. Heat destroys lipase, and most people would cook their eggs.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Nik, I'm finding this interesting :shifty:

I'm not sure if that is tongue in cheek or not?! But I find any discussion good whether it's between me and someone else or two other monkeys. It's probably why I'm on the forum in the first place.

As I said on lipase, I do believe the jury is still out and I'm not about to try and box it up and sell it as beneficial or otherwise. Rightly said that no specific study on lipase in eggs has been carried out. All I know is that infants, and I am broadly going to say growing animals, do need much cholesterol and probably therefore need transport and other mechanisms for it, here one being lipase. Just because an infant does require much cholesterol and therefore probably lipase does not mean a mature human does. Egg yolks, being what they are, probably need cholesterol and lipase and other goodies for this reason.

But BB does have it's special place especially since growth is the goal. I am not about to reject cholesterol as part of a healthy diet nor mechanisms for it's use. But you can have to much of a good thing like Easter eggs and hot cross buns. Yes I eat ALL of my Easter egg yolks.

I'm not sure if that is tongue in cheek or not?! But I find any discussion good whether it's between me and someone else or two other monkeys. It's probably why I'm on the forum in the first place.

As I said on lipase, I do believe the jury is still out and I'm not about to try and box it up and sell it as beneficial or otherwise. Rightly said that no specific study on lipase in eggs has been carried out. All I know is that infants, and I am broadly going to say growing animals, do need much cholesterol and probably therefore need transport and other mechanisms for it, here one being lipase. Just because an infant does require much cholesterol and therefore probably lipase does not mean a mature human does. Egg yolks, being what they are, probably need cholesterol and lipase and other goodies for this reason.

But BB does have it's special place especially since growth is the goal. I am not about to reject cholesterol as part of a healthy diet nor mechanisms for it's use. But you can have to much of a good thing like Easter eggs and hot cross buns. Yes I eat ALL of my Easter egg yolks.

you seem to know your stuff nick :nod: do you work in the fitness industry or is it just a hobby?

Ummm, I was serious Nik, I was/am enjoying the discussion, not picking at you, but throwing ideas around. It's probably why I'm on the fourm in the first place etc :doh: :(