what do you all do with left over egg yokes?

Sunshine

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I freeze the separated yolks, give them to my sister-in-law the chef.... my reward: beautiful Xmas treats when the time comes!

Here some firms sell frozen liquid egg-whites, which come in 1l jugs. They store in the freezer, keep quite well in the fridge, and make a nice shake when whizzed up in the blender with some Weight-watchers jelly mix for flavouring.

I've never tried egg-white powder, figured I had enough powder with all the whey I was going through.

The supplier I used, Eggcel has a website with a good Frequently-Asked-Questions page.

I freeze the separated yolks, give them to my sister-in-law the chef.... my reward: beautiful Xmas treats when the time comes!

Here some firms sell frozen liquid egg-whites, which come in 1l jugs. They store in the freezer, keep quite well in the fridge, and make a nice shake when whizzed up in the blender with some Weight-watchers jelly mix for flavouring.

I've never tried egg-white powder, figured I had enough powder with all the whey I was going through.

The supplier I used, Eggcel has a website with a good Frequently-Asked-Questions page.

Yay they have egg white liquid here in Perth yippy however its frozen..not sure how this will work I guess I can half it if it comes in a container so it does not go off to fast...I wonder how long it can last? hmm

Yay they have egg white liquid here in Perth yippy however its frozen..not sure how this will work I guess I can half it if it comes in a container so it does not go off to fast...I wonder how long it can last? hmm

From the Eggcel FAQ page:

Is it safe to freeze Eggcelâ„¢?

Absolutely! You can even put a previously opened, partially used bottle of Eggcel™ in the freezer. They will last indefinitely while frozen (2 years to be exact but we doubt you’ll keep them for that long!). We do not recommend that you re-freeze Eggcel™ if it's not necessary. To defrost, put the bottle in the kitchen sink and leave it overnight. Once defrosted, you must keep them in the fridge. When EggcelTM freeze, the water separates from the egg and settles on top. Therefore, it may be necessary to shake the bottle before using. If the eggs tend to cook up watery, simply blend in a blender for a few seconds to make sure that the water mixes back into the egg.

What is the "shelf life" of Eggcelâ„¢?

When chilled, four weeks. Heaps of time to use up a bottle! If you freeze them, they will last for 2 years.

• 2 weeks later...

You're right, big waste of money. I too give my dogs the yolks but in moderation, pretty fatty so don't want to clog their arteries as well. I know you can make cheese straws and its a recipe in the Edmonds cook book. Probably a good time of the year to make up a few batches if summer weather ever arrives, great with the cheese and dips out on the deck.

I eat whole eggs I don't think they are bad for you! I read somewhere most of the protein is in the yolk (don't quote me on that I have no proof to back it up!)

I eat 6 a day-ish :D

Yup most of the protein is in the yolk it was on that 'Whats in Your Food' programme. And most of the vitamins and minerals are in the yolk too.

I eat whole eggs I don't think they are bad for you! I read somewhere most of the protein is in the yolk (don't quote me on that I have no proof to back it up!)

I eat 6 a day-ish :D

Yup most of the protein is in the yolk it was on that 'Whats in Your Food' programme. And most of the vitamins and minerals are in the yolk too.

Ummmm....now I don't know which is which regarding the york. Some publications say it's not good, it's fat and some say that's where the protein is.

Anyone on here with a more balanced argument regarding egg york?

The white of a large egg has 16 calories, 3 g of protein, 2 mg of calcium, 4 mg of phosphorus, 55 mg of sodium, 45 mg of potassium, the weensiest little bit of riboflavin, and no fat, cholesterol, or carbohydrates.

The yolk of that egg has 59 calories, 3 g of protein, 5 g of fat (2 of which are saturated), 212 mg of cholesterol, 23 mg of calcium, 81 mg of phosphorus, 7 mg of sodium, 16 mg of potassium, very small amounts of iron, thiamin, and riboflavin, and no carbohydrates.

If you're going to be daring and eat the whole egg, you're looking at 75 calories, 6 g or protein, 5 g of fat (2 of which are saturated), 212 mg of cholesterol, 1 g of carbohydrate, 25 mg of calcium, 89 mg of phosphorus, 63 mg of sodium, 61 mg of potassium, trace amounts of iron, thiamin, and riboflavin.

So if you chuck out the yolks you chuck out half the protein.

The white of a large egg has 16 calories, 3 g of protein, 2 mg of calcium, 4 mg of phosphorus, 55 mg of sodium, 45 mg of potassium, the weensiest little bit of riboflavin, and no fat, cholesterol, or carbohydrates.

The yolk of that egg has 59 calories, 3 g of protein, 5 g of fat (2 of which are saturated), 212 mg of cholesterol, 23 mg of calcium, 81 mg of phosphorus, 7 mg of sodium, 16 mg of potassium, very small amounts of iron, thiamin, and riboflavin, and no carbohydrates.

If you're going to be daring and eat the whole egg, you're looking at 75 calories, 6 g or protein, 5 g of fat (2 of which are saturated), 212 mg of cholesterol, 1 g of carbohydrate, 25 mg of calcium, 89 mg of phosphorus, 63 mg of sodium, 61 mg of potassium, trace amounts of iron, thiamin, and riboflavin.

So if you chuck out the yolks you chuck out half the protein.

Thanks for that, thats some good info.