Help advice needed!

Sunshine

Hi ya's :D

I'm hoping someone can help me out please I'm so confused! Please help :-(

First off I have been going to the gym and working out for a year and a half...normally 6 days a week depending and sometimes I get a long break in the school holidays.

Here's the thing a year and a half ago I did a body challenge and did real well this was done over a three period.My diet during this time was 5 meals a day consisting of protein and carbs.I not only lost weight but gained muscle and lost body fat..GREAT!

Thing is since then I have kept up the gym and changed to different programms (3 day split with the weights then gone back to a full body) to try and suss out a balance that works.My diet is ok I still try and eat good but have a few cheats days (nothing like when I was on my challenge my diet was real strict then and to be honest that's all very well for 3 months but not how I want to be forever).

I have nice defined biceps and a toned upper body but my thighs and butt is just to BIG for my liking ,when I first finished my challenge I had a nice butt and legs defined muscle and not to big and bulky....now my legs and butt are just to big yes there is muscle and I realize I must be holding more fat but how can I change this????????? Is lifting going to make it worse?

I do a full body workout at present every second day and then a RPM/spin class the days in between I try and do body pump once a week but so far nothing is helping? Some have said to drop the weights and just do cardio? HELP!!!!!!!!!

The question is have I got to big from weight lifting? I am a very strong athletic person

Um, my 2c worth.

There's no such thing as spot reduction, so your challenge will be overall bodyfat reduction. The good thing about that is your whole body will eventually look better.

So, the challenge is for you to look at your diet - maybe post it up, along with age - and then it can be dialled-in to help with the fat burning. Small things like protein/carb/fat ratios, along with quantities and meal timings, will be key. So, what's an average day's food look like?

If you have built bigger legs and glutes (which often comes from doing lots of lunges and squats), you can probably look at what leg exercises you're doing. Can you give us a little detail there?

No, you don't have to drop the weights work-outs - after all, if the intensity of a weights session is up there, that helps burn calories. Doing RPM, particularly if it's towards the high intensity end of the spectrum, will still be good.

Excellent a reply :grin:

Thanks so much :)

Yes I must say I guess not having a meal plan is where I'm failing...plus it's only been the last two months where I have really tried pushing myself so before that when I did weights I just did them if you know what I mean...I guess that's why I'm frustrated with myself.

Ok so a simple day is

Breakfast-Protein shake(with a banana and skim milk) or eggs on brown bread or cereal with greek yogurt.

Mid snack...oops I do try but this does not always happen normally it would be protein shake with a banana and trim milk(normally are back from the gym at this time) or nuts about a handful

Coffee with skim milk and sugar substitute(splenda)

lunch-tuna and rice (sometimes I do this myself or buy tuna and rice meal).

Or Fat free ham sandwich(brown bread) lettuce.

coffee

Afternoon snack-again I must admit to failing to eat here and this is where I am hungry the most :oops: If I"m good it will be a protein shake with a banana and berries and skim milk.

Dinner... :oops: I really try here but making dinner for the kids and hubby sometimes tempts me to pick (especially mash potatoes or lasagna)...but I don't actually have it I try and have chicken or lately I admit to weight watchers meal :oops: I know

Cup of tea

** forgot to mention.Then there is the 3 clock got to have a lollie or piece of chocolate( I am a carb lover for sure ) :shock: ...yikes looking at what I eat has made me realize how bad I have been....the thing is I get lost with what to cook that is healthy but taste good and is easy to prepare.

Also have been trying really hard to drink water..I find it hard to drink even one bottle I know its sounds werid but I have always been like this :roll:

My exercise programme goes like this

Monday-full body work out (I do about 12 to 15 reps on each exercise)

Legs- LEG PRESS (sorry not sure of the correct name but there are two at my gym which I use).

SQUARTS- I just started including the squart rack(hmm the machine where you have pads on your shoulders and you squart...hope that makes sense).

LEG CURLS

CHEST-bench press(this is in the mens section this is machine where the two arms move indvidually)

CHEST- bench press free weights with barbell.

BACK-(this is a machine where I lay on it and it's quite high and I lift it up and pull back) sorry guys I don't have any idea what some of these machines are called.

BACK-Pull ups

BICEPS -Arm curl

BICEPS- barbell curls.

TRICEPS-machine which is like dips

TRICPES.-Where I use a rope?

Abs-I lay on a bench a decline bench and life up etc.

SHOULDERS...hmmm sometimes I do these :oops:

So as you can see it's a little up and down and I confess I'm really a bit lost I have just incorporated things from past programms

Oh then body pump which I love for especially for my legs and I do try and go heavy.

I hope I have explained everything ok it's hard putting into words. Can't wait to hear your feedbacks.

Um.... sounds like you knew what you had to do, and just got a bit lost :? I get the feeling you've gotten accustomed to the cheat meals, maybe ?

I'm not as familiar with things as some of the others, but in general, barring portion sizes, and the lack of adequate water, the things I'd be looking at are the ham (salted) and the evening meal - by then, you might well have had adequate carbs for the day and could probably stand to skip the pasta or spuds :) Oh, and a protein shake last thing would help.

You really should aim to at least double the water intake - that will help.

Your exercise programme, for a full-body workout repeated, covers the major muscle groups. If I read it right, you're doing 1 set each of 12-15 reps on leg press/ squat (I think the machine you're using is a Vee-squat machine) - so that's 2x12-15 for quads/glutes, 1x12-15 for hamstrings on leg curls; 2 sets of pressing for chest, 2 sets of curls for biceps and two triceps exercises, along with one each for shoulders and abs.

That's a total of ten sets - How long does that take you?

How long do you rest between sets ? Cutting rest to no more than 60s will help with calorie burn. On the other hand, 3-5 minutes is getting to the point where it's counter-productive.

It;s good that you're not scale-obsessed - numbers aren't as good a gauge as the magic test-pants. How're they doing ? [You do have the magic test pants, the ones you always use as a gauge of how they fit, right :D ]

You could study some of the other women's journals - Chillicat, VampireChick, Becbec, Emmzies and BarBelle all post their workouts regularly, and you'd likely gain some ideas :nod:

Thanks so much..your right I was soo lost but your advice is great and I will be putting it all into action!

With the sets I only do 3 sets (12 to 15 reps) for each exercise and I'm not totally sure how long I rest in between but it's not 5 mins that's for sure I like to make good use of my time it normally takes an hour to an hour and half.

Hope you don't mind but I have some questions you maybe able to help me with please.

QUESTIONS:

*Do you think I need to do cardio after this? I used to but found it made it so much longer.

*Do you think I should drop doing weights and just do body pump for a while? more cardio and still using my muscles?

*Is one cheat DAY ok?

*With the shake at night is it ok to have that with trim milk? I hate the taste of protein shake with water.

* Should I quit the carbs at night?

*Also when looking at fat and carbs on food packets what is a good level for both? this will sure help me pick the better choices.

With meals size I use to use the rule of thumb a fist size of protein and the same with carbs.

Yer I have my old faithful skinny pants (LOL) I wore after my challenge just can't fit them at the mo :oops:

I will have a read of the women's journals - Chillicat, VampireChick, Becbec, Emmzies and BarBelle sounds real interesting and I soooo need the info and help...Might also check out and see if there are any recieps on this forum I really need some ideas.

Thanks again for your info and thoughts it has really helped me focus again and get on track.Thanks :)

QUESTIONS:

*Do you think I need to do cardio after this? I used to but found it made it so much longer.

We're all different with this but I like to keep my cardio sessions separate so I have more energy. So at the mo I'm doing 3 days of weights plus 3/4 sessions of cardio.

*Do you think I should drop doing weights and just do body pump for a while? more cardio and still using my muscles?

Nope I'd keep the weights and perhaps count a pump class as one of your cardio sessions.

*Is one cheat DAY ok?

Depends what cheating for you is. Personally I'd keep it to one or two cheat meals per week. My typical cheat meal is either sushi, homemade pizza or thai chicken noodle soup.

*With the shake at night is it ok to have that with trim milk? I hate the taste of protein shake with water.

Ditch the milk. There are a couple of protein shakes that taste awesome with water. Try Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion.

Yes you should :) No carbs after 3pm unless its a cheat meal.

*Also when looking at fat and carbs on food packets what is a good level for both? this will sure help me pick the better choices.

Not sure about this one - TFB may be able to help with this. I'm generally on low carb and fat anyway.

With meals size I use to use the rule of thumb a fist size of protein and the same with carbs.

Yep - with meat I usually go about 200g and fill the rest of the plate with green vegs (esp on non weights days)

Good luck with this - you'll be fine!

I only do 3 sets (12 to 15 reps) for each exercise and I'm not totally sure how long I rest in between but it's not 5 mins that's for sure I like to make good use of my time it normally takes an hour to an hour and half.

Try to keep the rest between sets down to a minute, no more than two - and likewise between exercises.

QUESTIONS:

If the intensity on weights day is such that you CAN'T do cardio, that you're already worked-out then no, there's no need for additional cardio... and if you're enjoying the weights, stick with it rather than do Pump, but give yourself a little push.

You should start logging the weights you lift - do you occasionally try to go up one plate, or one size on the dumbbells?

Remember tho, that one of the keys to success is that you enjoy the workouts...not that you feel you cope easy, but that you look forward to doing them, and feel you achieved something afterwards

*Is one cheat DAY ok?
VC's right :nod: I'd try to avoid a lot of cheats on the same day - most of us on here would probably only have one cheat MEAL
Yes - the lowest-carb (not fat) milk won't hurt, the important thing is that you do it, and a little milk won't matter. Also,as VC suggests, when the budget allows, try other brands/ flavours. Heck, there's even reviews of protein powders on here!
Yes :nod:
*Also when looking at fat and carbs on food packets what is a good level for both? this will sure help me pick the better choices. With meals size I use to use the rule of thumb a fist size of protein and the same with carbs.
You've got the rough idea for a start. There are guidelines (although every body is different) for the amount of protein, but you could usefully start by aiming for six serves a day, using that rule (and counting a shake as 1 serve, where each serve is around 25g of net protein, not raw food weight). Most of the guidelines rely on a number of grams of nett protein per kg of bodyweight, but that's just a starting point. As the adverts say in the small print "your results may vary" :grin:

Again, have a look at the other journals - many of these women really have their diet 'dialled-in' :nod:

Might also check out and see if there are any recipes on this forum I really need some ideas.
Oh, we've got recipes, for sure - try here =P~

Also check out the overall diet/nutrition page here

Remember, your diet/ training routine has to work for you - making it too hard will just drive you off it. Making it too easy won't get results - so what you need to do is aim for that 'sweet spot' where you get results but don't grow to loath it. It won't necessarily be easy, but nothing worthwhile ever is. Consider starting a journal, whether at home in a notebook, or on here. Especially, start tracking the weights you lift, and keep an eye on the magic pants!

Hiya, and welcome! I'm not sure I can answer your questions with any degree of authority, but I can give you my opinion and perspective, which might or might not be of help!

About your butt and thighs - hmmm, not really sure how to help with that one. Personally my butt and thighs are also too big for my liking, but sadly that's the way I was built, and it's not due to me working super hard and building lots of muscle in that area. As TFB says, you can't spot reduce, and so my way of working around this is to work those bits harder so that at least if they're going to be big (proportionally and relatively speaking), they can at least be firm and muscly! But if you're bigger there because of working out, I guess maybe not go so hard in that area? I've started doing a spin class a week on top of my regular weights workouts to work the legs and glutes more (as well as to burn off some fat!).

People on here have helped me loads with eating, and with their help I've modified my diet greatly and have had very good results this year, and particulary in the last few months since I've been on this forum. My standard daily eats are:

1. Oats (40g) with a scoop of protein powder and about 25ml skim milk

2. Protein shake, or sludge (see the diet/nutrition forum for this recipe!)

3. Protein shake

4. Lunch (which is post workout) - either a 185 gram tin of tuna or salmon. I'm on low carbs at the mo and reducing calories by 500 to drop a couple of kilos, so I normally have a protein shake with it, but normally if I'm not dieting I'd have it wrapped in a tortilla or on a few ryvitas

5. Protein shake or sludge

6. Dinner - I don't do special food for myself, generally speaking - I eat the same as my husband, but I just omit the starchy carbs that he has (rice, pasta, potatos or whatever) and instead eat whatever meat I have on a bed of spinach and with maybe some brocolli or something like that as well. If we have hamburgers, I have it without the bun and with extra salad. Sometimes I'll have something more carby, like a quesadilla, but I try to do that on a day when I've done both weights and cardio so that I feel like I've earned it!

7. Either sludge or a half a protein shake with milk before bed.

As for pump or weights - personally I'd say stick to the weights, but maybe do one pump class a week. I was a total pump junkie until this year when I started doing my own weights, and in that 8 months that I've been doing my own weights I've had far better improvement to my body than in 8 years of doing pump. I've kept a note of everything I've done this year weights-wise, and it's amazing how far I've come with what I can lift, and how much better I look (well, I think so anyway!), so I'm a bit advocate of weights over pump.

Having said that, I still really love doing pump, and in the last couple of weeks have started making time to go again, and I'm hoping to make it a regular once a week thing, as it's really fun to do a quick all over body workout, which includes an element of cardio - but only if I'm happy that I've worked all my muscle groups in a more focused way that week.

Thanks so much everyone for all the help what a great forum :grin:

I'm gonna go and check some of your your journals now cause to tell you the truth I'm finding the full body work out real hard to keep up. It's just that it takes a while to do and it's daughting sometimes thinking of how much I have to do in an hour.I wanted to do the full body cause I thought it was the best for losing weight??

Thanks again and I'm sure I 'll have more questions and need more advice on my journey :pfft:

There's a couple of good reasons to keep training legs:

a. when you shed the bodyfat, you want them to be toned and developed; and

b. Anyone's legs are big muscle groups (quads, hams, glutes) and so are capable of more work (moving weight over distance), therefore burning more calories. If you're concerned about causing the muscles to grow even more, go for more reps, lighter weights. Sets of 20 reps with a lighter weight, for instance :shock:

How many times a week do you do weights? If the full-body workout's getting a bit old, you could look at a multi-day split, doing legs once, and various upper-body/abs combinations on the others.

Hi,

Well my new journey starts today and having a huge pig out over the weekend will now keep me happy in knowing what it all taste like and I'm not missing much...gonna try out some of those yummy meals that people have posted

I think I will do what you suggested teamfatboy,higher reps and lower weights for my legs...that's why I find body pump good when it comes to my legs lots and lots of reps with like 15kg.I guess as I start to lose the weight I'll have more of an idea on how my legs really look.

I do full body work out every second day at the moment.

I used to do a split lower body one day then cardio the next then upper body the following day and then cardio the next then lower again.

I'm just not sure of what muscle to work together (eg) on my upper body workout day do I do chest and back only? then the next upper body workout day do I do arms and shoulders and abs?

Perhaps you could give me an idea :-)

Also should I be trying to go up in weight every time I workout? I do try to add more weight on my last rep if poss. I Find biceps real hard to get more weight on I find when I do bicep curls with a barbell I have the problem of getting real sore forearms I get this a lot in pump when there are lots of reps I was told it might be the way I'm holing the bar with my wrist being bent? What ever it is my forearms get more sore then my bicpes?

Well I better go and get my first shake in for the morning..gonna go to the gym tonight...due to a house inspection and my day being consumed with house cleaning AGR.

Thanks again for all the amazing advice.

Heya Sunshine

For a split, assuming you treat legs as one day in their own right, that leaves you with biceps, triceps, back, chest, shoulders and abs.

Three days for upper body might go: back-biceps, chest-triceps (or back/triceps and chest/biceps) shoulders (deltoids and trapezius) and abs.

If you only had two days you could go back/arms, chest/arms - and add one abs exercise to each day. Oh, and don't forget that one or two days per week should be complete rest (from workouts, not life as in general :( :grin: )

Things to avoid include doing chest-back on the same day, and omitting muscle groups, like abs or shoulders.

In terms of increasing weights, what I personally try to do is (after warming up, of course!) on eg a 3x15 plan is to increase the weights so that I can comfortably do 15 the first set of three, struggle with 15 the second time and fail before reaching 15 the last time. But you'll soon get a gauge on how intense the workouts are for you, and I'm sure some of the others can comment from a female perspective too.

That issue with a barbell curl could be solved by doing dumbbell curls, or if your gym has the EZ-bar (what someone once called the 'wiggly one') that can often ease the issue.

Hi ya,

Thanks for the reply..With shoulders (deltoids and trapezius) what kinda exercises work the deltoids and which the trapezius?

Could I do a split like this

Monday-upper (back-biceps,one abb workout )

Tuesday-cardio (rpm)

Wed-lower(legs and shoulders)

Thursday-Cardio and abb workout(rpm)

Friday-Upper (chest-tricep)

Sat-rest

Sunday -body pump (abb work included)

I do you use the curly bar and I must say it helps..I also use that sit down machine where you sit and place your arms on top of a small padded bench and do bicep curls...Hope you can work out what I mean,it's just with that I find it hard to increase my weight so I figure if I can at least do 3 reps on my last set of a heavy load I'm getting somewhere (least I hope LOL).

Looking forward to the split routine tonight and not being at the gym forever haha

Cheers teamfatboy once again :grin:

Hi ya,

Thanks for the reply..With shoulders (deltoids and trapezius) what kinda exercises work the deltoids and which the trapezius?

Could I do a split like this

Monday-upper (back-biceps,one abb workout )

Tuesday-cardio (rpm)

Wed-lower(legs and shoulders)

Thursday-Cardio and abb workout(rpm)

Friday-Upper (chest-tricep)

Sat-rest

Sunday -body pump (abb work included)

Sounds good, but you might want to rest your legs before doing another rpm class, as that's 3 leg workouts in a row. I find it's ok to do rpm the day before a leg workout, but after a leg workout I reckon you should give your legs a good day or two to recover. Does your gym have rpm on a Friday so you could maybe switch?

I normally do this split, which works pretty well for me:

Mon - Chest/triceps

Tue - Legs

Wed - Back/biceps

Thur - Shoulders/abs

Friday - Try to fit in a pump class if I've done all my weights for the week. Prefer to do this on a Friday, as I generally don't go to the gym on a Sat or Sun, so the full body workout means that none of my bits are sore for my dedicated workouts.

I also fit in a spin/rpm class on either a Tuesday or Thursday after work (my other sessions are lunchtime sessions) - on a Tuesday it's a total leg blasting day, but with 4 hours rest after weights and before getting on the bike. If I do it on a Thursday, I'll sometimes switch my Monday and Tuesday workouts, so my legs have had a good chance to recover.

I do you use the curly bar and I must say it helps..I also use that sit down machine where you sit and place your arms on top of a small padded bench and do bicep curls...Hope you can work out what I mean,it's just with that I find it hard to increase my weight so I figure if I can at least do 3 reps on my last set of a heavy load I'm getting somewhere (least I hope LOL).

Sounds like a preacher bench. I like them and must remember to use them more.

Teamfatboy...I just replied to your message but I'm not sure if you got it? I done it twice first as a reply and then composed my own..when I check messages I sent it says 0 Let me know if you got it :)

Yep, I got 'em... with this forum software, it sits in your outbox 'til the addressee logs in again.. so now it should be in your outbox!

Hi ya,

CC's advice on the split is great.

Like CC says, that's a preacher bench. My gym's got two - one for an EZ bar, and one with a stack of weights. The stack one is good for short rests, or "drop-sets" where you do 'n' reps, go one increment lighter, and so on. So, I do a 30-rep drop-set with two drops, about 10-reps per drop.

For Delts, you're looking at a lot of options. Most common are the various raises (side lat raise, front lat raise) - or compound moves like the shoulder press - your gym might have a machine for these, they're quite common.

For traps, it's upright rows and shrugs.

You might find this website helpful.

Hi,

Thanks for that.The thing with the RPM classes for me is I can only do them in the morning and only on a Tuesday and Thursday sometimes a Friday,the evening classes are on to early like at 6.00 clock and that's a bad time for me cause of kids dinners etc.

Is this a better choice?

Mon - Chest/triceps

Tues- Cardio (RPM)

Wed- Back/biceps

Thurs- Cardio(RPM)

Friday-Legs-Shoulders/abs

Sunday-Body pump or Rpm depending

Hi ya,

CC's advice on the split is great.

Like CC says, that's a preacher bench. My gym's got two - one for an EZ bar, and one with a stack of weights. The stack one is good for short rests, or "drop-sets" where you do 'n' reps, go one increment lighter, and so on. So, I do a 30-rep drop-set with two drops, about 10-reps per drop.

For Delts, you're looking at a lot of options. Most common are the various raises (side lat raise, front lat raise) - or compound moves like the shoulder press - your gym might have a machine for these, they're quite common.

For traps, it's upright rows and shrugs.

You might find this website helpful.

Cool will check the link out

What do you mean by a stack weight?

The whole drop set is confusing to me,sorry I'm not sure what "n" means and I understand the thing about going lighter but what do you mean by "So, I do a 30-rep drop-set with two drops, about 10-reps per drop".???

Sorry if I'm a wee bit slow with picking this all up it's all new to me :oops:

The whole drop set is confusing to me,sorry I'm not sure what "n" means and I understand the thing about going lighter but what do you mean by "So, I do a 30-rep drop-set with two drops, about 10-reps per drop".???

No worries... a drop-set is where you start heavy, lift for as many reps as possible at that weight, then immediately (no rest) drop the weight down one dumbbell, or whatever, and do as many, and repeat, until you've achieved the required number of reps.

So, if my PT specified a 30-rep dropset for db curls - I would pick up maybe a 17kg dumbbell, curl 10 or 11 - as many as I can do with good form, then 'drop down' to the next size (15), do 10 or 11, drop down again to 12 kg, and finish the 30.

A 'stack machine' is what I call the single station machines where you don't use individual round plates or dumbbells, but move a lever connected by cables to a stack of steel plates.. you adjust the weight you're lifting by moving a pin to a different plate... some people count their weights by the number of plates. There are several different brands, Hammer Strength and Nautilus are common.

Hi,

Thanks for that.The thing with the RPM classes for me is I can only do them in the morning and only on a Tuesday and Thursday sometimes a Friday,the evening classes are on to early like at 6.00 clock and that's a bad time for me cause of kids dinners etc.

Is this a better choice?

Mon - Chest/triceps

Tues- Cardio (RPM)

Wed- Back/biceps

Thurs- Cardio(RPM)

Friday-Legs-Shoulders/abs

Sunday-Body pump or Rpm depending

Yeah, it's a pain to be constrained by timetables - I have the same problems with trying to schedule a pump class - if I'm going to do one, I don't want to waste my time with a rubbish instructor, but it can be difficult to find a class that fits my needs in terms of a great instructor and on a day that doesn't bugger up my other training!

I think this looks good and balanced, with good alternation between upper and lower body. And just remember - it's flexible and doesn't have to be set in stone.

You should start a journal and let us know how you go with it!

No worries... a drop-set is where you start heavy, lift for as many reps as possible at that weight, then immediately (no rest) drop the weight down one dumbbell, or whatever, and do as many, and repeat, until you've achieved the required number of reps.

So, if my PT specified a 30-rep dropset for db curls - I would pick up maybe a 17kg dumbbell, curl 10 or 11 - as many as I can do with good form, then 'drop down' to the next size (15), do 10 or 11, drop down again to 12 kg, and finish the 30.

A 'stack machine' is what I call the single station machines where you don't use individual round plates or dumbbells, but move a lever connected by cables to a stack of steel plates.. you adjust the weight you're lifting by moving a pin to a different plate... some people count their weights by the number of plates. There are several different brands, Hammer Strength and Nautilus are common.

Excellent I actually get it haha...sounds like a great way to increase your strength.

Yep the bicep curl machine I use is a stack machine.

Thanks again. :grin: