Eastside Barbell Club Open

Dr Squat

Wilks formula - ala Robert Wilks, PL Australia & IPF Official, formula using body weight coefficient to compare lifters of different BWs. Replaced Schwartz formula.

Tell me Nate, what are your thoughts on the Wilkes formula? Then I will tell you mine! :wink:

Formula, who needs one - biggest total equals strongest lifter! I don't care what you weigh, if you're complaining 'cos I got 20kg on you try STFU and eat something! :pfft:

Seriously though I think it's the best PLing's got.... which is a pretty non committal answer!

From my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong, just going of what I was told) the Wilkes coefficient is calculated for different BWs based on historic lifter totals. How this stacks up with the new equipment I don't know (depends on if all BW's gain equal advantage from new equip?).

In reality I never really paid much attention to it - Derek Pomana always had the best open mens lifter won anyway! :grin:

Seems to work better for powerlifting than bench. Never understood why a separate forumla was not made for bench given the advantages that increasing bodyweight gives to bench that it does not give overall to a total.

In the Christchurch 2001 bench worlds, Midote at SHW and lifting 305 kg somehow beat the Russian 82.5 kg lifter who did 255 kg. Did not sit well with me at the time and seemed very biased in favour of the heavy lifter. Formula has probably got worse over time for bench as greater bodyweight = less distance = tigher bench shirt and more carryover.

Simbo

Seems to work better for powerlifting than bench. Never understood why a separate forumla was not made for bench given the advantages that increasing bodyweight gives to bench that it does not give overall to a total.

In the Christchurch 2001 bench worlds, Midote at SHW and lifting 305 kg somehow beat the Russian 82.5 kg lifter who did 255 kg. Did not sit well with me at the time and seemed very biased in favour of the heavy lifter. Formula has probably got worse over time for bench as greater bodyweight = less distance = tigher bench shirt and more carryover.

Simbo

I agree, the formula doesn't work for single lifts. I have never been a fan of the formula and for me it's another example of the powerlifting "powers" being out of touch.

• 3 weeks later...

Dag nam it!! To quick on the copy and paste. You can work out that his best was 230kg and GF is right he got 240kg on his fourth attempt. Fourth attempts have been left off the results. From Memory there were 3 other succesful fourth attempts Grant made 100kg Bench and 180kg Deadlift and I had a 200kg bench. GF missed fourth attemt 300kg deadlift, 287.5kg would have given him the Gold but for some trickery from the Doc.

Dag nam it!! To quick on the copy and paste. You can work out that his best was 230kg and GF is right he got 240kg on his fourth attempt. Fourth attempts have been left off the results. From Memory there were 3 other succesful fourth attempts Grant made 100kg Bench and 180kg Deadlift and I had a 200kg bench. GF missed fourth attemt 300kg deadlift, 287.5kg would have given him the Gold but for some trickery from the Doc.

Still spewing! f*ck he got me good! I will do 285kg for 3 reps on friday just to show the doc who is boss (but not on paper lol)

GF missed fourth attemt 300kg deadlift, 287.5kg would have given him the Gold but for some trickery from the Doc.

Still spewing! f*ck he got me good! I will do 285kg for 3 reps on friday just to show the doc who is boss (but not on paper lol)

Got beaten by a man using the top two inches huh?

Not many people consider it but strategy is important when PL / SM comps are tightly contested.

Sounds like you'll meet again & we will see if age or wisdom prevails!