Diet confusion

nkf

At the moment I am training with a PT three times a week with weights and three times a week cardio for at least an hour.

I am not eating carbs after 4 and dinner is protein and vegetables (non starchy variety).

However I am gaining weight. Any ideas how to get rid of it? Do I need to change diet or increase training to include more cardio?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you're gaining weight you're eating more energy than you expend. Have you worked out how many calories you're eating or are you just winging it? Presuming you're aiming for fat loss and the weight you're gaining is unwanted fat (as opposed to muscle), even if you don't plant to calorie count forever, for fat loss you really need an idea of what you're ingesting in order to figure out how much exercise you need to do.

Speak with your PT about the fact that you gaining weight. Thats what you pay him/her for. Tell them your not happy with the things are going.

You should not even have to come on here for advice, your PT should be able to answer any questions or sort any problems that you have.

If they cant then yeah as the others have said, get a different one.

Typical day is:

Weetbix (2), banana, low fat youghurt

Apple (play time - I am a teacher so easier to break into school times).

Lunch - Salad, protein (fish or chicken usually), carrot, potato or bread

Dinner - vegetables and fish

My PT is not doing my nutrition plan, just tells me to stop eating so much. I work out serving sizes for meat etc based on Weight Watchers serving sizes.

This is why I need help. It was working but now it coming back on. I assume that it is fat, not muscle.

I have told PT about diet and weight but I just keep a food diary and there are no changes to it, just told that it is good.

For my 2 cents (take it or leave it):

Way low on the protein. I see best results with at least 1g/lb of LBM, sometimes more depending on the deficit and if the carbs are really low.

Calories do need to be in a deficit, though looking at that you already seem to be unless you're just tiny.

Throw in some healthy fats (maybe 20-30% of total calories, and include say 10g of fish oils).

I don't think specifics matter a ton beyond that, but those are some quick fixes you can make that may help out.

Are you being honest about your portion sizes (to yourself), because that looks like stuff all. Yoghurt, how much, low fat maybe, but how much sugar is in it (i.e. even plain yoghurt has natural milk sugar/lactose in it and flavoured yoghurts always have added sugar).

I'd also suggest the same as Pman, more protein, especially at breakfast and throughout the day (i.e. apple is not enough), and at least 5 small meals a day to get your metabolism amped. 3 larger meals a day is less than ideal.

P.S. Your PT sounds like a retard.

More protein throughout the day! 100g of fish or chicken twice a day is only about 40g of protein. That's way too low. Yoghurt isn't high in protein. Try adding some protein powder to it or eat eggs or something else. Try to get 5 meals a day, with a good source of protein at each meal.

Good luck.

Rose it right (as usual). You need more protein, and more good fats as well. If you dont take in enogh protein your body thinks it is malnourished and will only hold on to your bodyfat stores for self preservation.

If your pT dosent provide nutrition plans for his clients he should at least have a regular nutritionist whom he sends his clients to, or at least recommends.

Find yourself a nutritionist and go and see them. I myself provide nutrition programs for all my clients (and non clients) I charge 130$ for this service, (there are cheaper nutritionists around if you look for them). It may seem like alot of money but if you add up over a month the amount you are spending to see the pT (and not getting the results you want) it is quite cheap really.

P.S. Your PT sounds like a retard.

Looks like the others covered it.

Eat more often, eat more protein, drink around 2 liters of water a day.

For when at work, if you find it hard to get the food get some protein powder.

Training that often, your probably building some muscle, so not losing weight like you thought.

I agree with everyone about this one. Your PT should be doing body composition measurements so you know whats happening. Your diet is very low in everything. Don't think you need to eat less to lose weight, next thing you'll be knocking off meals to lose weight. You should be having more carbs after all they are powering your workouts. My clients who compete in bodybuilding, eat carbs and plenty of up until the week before competing. I think your body has come to a standstill, time for a change.

:ditto: Yep, what they said. Your PT is not doing you any favours.

Also, don't confuse food weight with actual protein weight etc... to get eg 25g of net protein from whole foods, you need to eat many times that. For example, 100g of baked snapper is 25g of protein. this site and others can help, but right now you need someone who can give you proper advice.

You could usefully have some protein in your breakfast - yoghurt and weetbix aren't going to cut it. Apart from anything else, the excess salt/ sodium's a killer in the weetbix.

Can you give us an idea of height/weight/age?

• 1 month later...
Rose it right (as usual).

:nod: :pfft:

the only aditional advice I would recommend is to get a second opinion - re: your training. Second opinions in the medical profession are very common. Perhaps someone more experienced can offer a few more options - I try not to knock the competition but sometimes PTs can favour specific training principles that are not always aligned with their clients goals > this is more common to 1st and 2nd year trainers as they are still expanding their skills.

In your case it would have been beneficial to get some practical advice on nutrition as the benefits from the workouts you are paying for are not occuring due to very poor dietry intake. (Hate to say it .... but the upside is hopefully you have learned some good workout technique and gained motivation through the experience).

More protein throughout the day! 100g of fish or chicken twice a day is only about 40g of protein. That's way too low. Yoghurt isn't high in protein. Try adding some protein powder to it or eat eggs or something else. Try to get 5 meals a day, with a good source of protein at each meal.

Good luck.

couldnt agree more :)