Hi New body builder, any advice. Stuck on 65kg Bench.

Gino

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i had the same prob but overcame it by adding an extra 5kgs and went to failure done wonders and see come around next time you do your bench try another 5kg. dont be like these other heros out there that straight away put another 20kg plate on. hence the term body building. your building your body up from sctratch it takes mana and hard work but you will get there

Guys...NEGATIVES! Whenever I strike a platue, I give that bodypart an absolute hammering on the negative portion of the exercise.

It's very taxing on the body so don;t overuse it & make sure you have a decent spotter. I've drove my bench up from 110RM to 125kg using this method (I weigh 84kg in single digit bodyfat).

For Chest, I'd suggest warming up with 50% of your 1 rep max (1RM) for 10 reps x 1 or 2 sets.

Then get started with some partial working sets to fire up the motor units- approx' 75% of 1RM for 4-5 reps (what you can lift 10 reps to failure).

Rest 1 minute: Then approx' 85% of 1RM for 3-4 reps (what you can lift 8 reps to failure).

Then it's overload time baby...grab a decent, confident spotter and add weight up to 120% of your 1RM. You wanna lower the bar as slow as poss- maybe 4-6 seconds on the decent...really fight that bar, especially halfway down. Your spotter should recognise the bar gaining momentum as you fail- they take all the weight and lift it back to the starting position- you shouldn't be doing stuff all on the positive part- focus on the negative only.

Knock out 3-4 reps then rest 3 minutes to recharge the batteries.

Pull off a little weight- maybe 100-110% 1RM and go again.

Finish with some pump and squeeze sets of incline DBs to finish with no regard for the weight- just feel the burn and spike your Growth Hormone (GH) and Test through the roof.

Also consider adding an "intra" workout product like Gaspari SizeOn or BSN Volumaize to refuel between sets and effeciently as poss' for maximum perfromance.

And be sure to down a quality protein, preferably half whey, half casein like Inner Armour Superquad or Gaspari MyoFusion to kick-start the repair process.

Go hard!

Did it!,

Did 70kg unspotted x6 twice, don't what it was but i warmed up with 60x10 then 65x8 then 70x6 twice. Was thrilled took 3 months to get out of the 60s.

Here is my first pic i will put one up in one year when i reach 73kg if i can do it!.

When i saw my trainer on friday i was gutterd as she said i was years away befor going on stage. :( She just made me so motivated i going to go crazy on the diet,sleep, eating, traning!. So i can enter under 70kg north islands or classic? i saw the heaviest i can be is 78kg for my hight in the classic divison, Would this be a first goal?

Nice work \:D/ like the other guys said eat like a machine and train hard and heavy upping weights each week and pack on some size

Litte update

Now can bench 70 easily go alway down basically right on my chest without getting crushed :), can do about 6-8 reps, do 2 sets. Now doing my last set around 75kg will push to 80 next week.

Diet is going well, a tad inconsisdent im sure though. All is good, looking forward to 1 year from now when im close to 75kg. 10 kgs more i can do it.

Litte update

Now can bench 70 easily go alway down basically right on my chest without getting crushed :), can do about 6-8 reps, do 2 sets. Now doing my last set around 75kg will push to 80 next week.

Diet is going well, a tad inconsisdent im sure though. All is good, looking forward to 1 year from now when im close to 75kg. 10 kgs more i can do it.

Well done Gino, great progress. :)

One of the things that has helped my bench is using a variety of pressing movements. I will generally alternate between flat barbell bench, incline barbell bench and decline barbell bench as my main compound movement. About every three weeks I will try to achieve a 5-6 rep PB on the particular movement. As soon as I feel as though I have hit my max and I am unlikely to be able to go up the next week, I will change to another movement. This is as much a mental change as a physical one. Then repeat the process. Aim for a new PB. I would avoid dropping my reps below the 5-6 at this stage.

Another key is to hammer the triceps, shoulders and upper back. These link muscles will hold you back if you have weak points. For triceps I focus on getting stronger on close grip bench press. When my close grip is strong, my bench press goes up. :)

Craig