Hi New body builder, any advice. Stuck on 65kg Bench.

Gino

Hi

I started training in January this year for the first time ever after continuously losing to my Girl mates at arm wrestling I thought something isn’t right here. Having made quite what I think are decent gains. Gained about 6kgs of muscle and fat % has gone down and sits between 9 and 11%.

At the start I was making fast gains and strength was increasing and each 2 weeks I would be lifting more and more on each exercise. I could only bench 30 now I can do 65.

I am 64kgs and 5.7ft.

I am now finding it harder to make gains, especially for my chest, it is getting more cut but my weight limits have barely changed for about 2-3 months and I am getting quite unmotivated.

My usual chest workout would be Bench 50kg 15-20times. Then 60/10 65/8 65/8.

Then incline dumbbell press with

20kg/15 reps then

24/10

26/8

28/6

30/4

31.5s/2

At this stage I don’t have much left and do some fly’s with 8-14kg dumbbells.

I would then follow by training my biceps.

My usual program is Monday/chest/biceps

Tuesday back/triceps

Wedensday legs

Thursday,shoulders,abs.

My diet is very good, I eat about 6 meals a day. I created my diet with help from bodybuilding.com and reading through 100s of articles. I also get between 8-10 hours of sleep a night which is defiantly more than I need. But this platue is tough any advice?

I brought testosterone boosters from Extreme nutrition in Takapuna and not sure if I should take them. I also brought Dymatize High protein mass gainer. Maybe that will do the trick. I want to compete next year, but I don’t know what I have to do from here. Its just becoming all to ordinary?

Any help please would be great.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a change in program is in order, it could be somthing as simple as reducing the volume a bit, especialy if you want to keep getting stronger.

Also look into your diet, if you're still eating exactly what you were eating when you 1st started (I don't know if you are or are'nt) well that could be the problem. You have 6kg more muscle now and therefore your nutritional needs are different, you need to adjust that accordingly if you want to keep growing.

I don't think this persons a chick. Not at that body fat. I really doubt any "Natural test boosters" will do jack shit for a female or for that matter a male.

Even if they do effect lh/fsh production in some minor way. Test boosters in guys supposedly work either by preventing test from aromatizing or by increasing natural test production in the testicles by stimulating luteinizing hormone which stimulates leydig cells. News flash none of that shit will work, the body is like oh negative feed back loop has been fucked with, reduce natural production of said hormones.

Maybe anti aromatase like that nolvedex xt or whatever it is called might work a bit. But what effect will it have on the body in terms of homeostasis? whenever something works well there is a trade off. Honestly you should probably save the small fortune those shitty supps cost and buy a weeks worth of steak.

Use a spotter and go past failure

As above, also if you are doing 31.5 kg DBs your BB flat should be in the 70s to 80 kg I would have thought? Maybe its a mental barrier, I had one of these when I reached BW on the bench.

Maybe take a break from BB bench for a week or two then go back to it and see how it goes :-s

Use a spotter and go past failure

As above, also if you are doing 31.5 kg DBs your BB flat should be in the 70s to 80 kg I would have thought? Maybe its a mental barrier, I had one of these when I reached BW on the bench.

Maybe take a break from BB bench for a week or two then go back to it and see how it goes :-s

I think alot is to do with a my head, i get spotted to failur usually, even on the 31kg dumbbells. Maybe he does all the lifting he is a big guy,. I can bench 65 without a spotter.

Last week i broke through the 300kg barrier on the leg press which did wonders for my mind, even on the squat i could comfortably do 70 and 80, 90 found hard as hard as it should be to make gains. But the whole chest thing is going backwards, I might just lay of the bench altogether for one month or so, just stick to flat and incline dumbbells press and maybe cabel flys and some decline. then start fresh on the bench later on......

If you're wanting to increase strength on the bench why are you doing so many reps - you don't need to do 15-20 reps to warmup.

Try doing a 10 rep warmup on 50, then 4-6 reps on 60, 4-6 on 65, 4-6 on 70 and 4-6 on 75. If you can do 2 sets of 8 on 65 you should be able to do a few reps on 75 easy. Unless of course your spotter is doing all the work on your 65's? Your spotter should be there to help on maybe the last rep or two if needed - not to do his upright row workout.

And then you go and do 15 reps on incline for your first set? You've already warmed your chest up on the flat bench, just stick with low reps if you want to increase your bench.

And you don't need test boosters, maybe creatine mono would help you out but you sure as shit don't need test boosters at 64kg. Arm wrestling chicks - I take it you're in your late teens/early 20's?

Yeah im 22,

Yeah i think i over train to many reps indeed. I will do what you said and just to 10 as a warm up etc...

I'm seeing My mentor helper mate on friday, Neria Johnson if you guys no her, she won mrs universive under 50kg, she helps me with my diet and checks my fat/muscle every so often.

The dreaded plateau.....

I took 6 weeks off flat bench and did incline dbs and bbs only with db and cable flys, then when I went back to bb flat it was to find my 1rm, then 3 days later started strength training for flat bb, 3 warm up sets pyramiding (moderate reps), then did 4x4-6 with a weight you can only just finish the set with, by the time you get to the end of the 3rd & 4th set you should need a spotter for piece of mind, you will be sore, then 3-4 days later do the same but this time add 5kg and aim for 4x4-6 again, repeat and get a spotter, be honest and go hard!!!

Eating right is the key, without the nutrients your body wouldn't be able to sufficently mend itself for the next thrashing, if 5kg is too much then use the 1.25kg on each side, whatever, just keep adding.

Don't worry about the weight of your bench, its the progress that matters. Keep making it!!

Good luck :)

The dreaded plateau.....

I took 6 weeks off flat bench and did incline dbs and bbs only with db and cable flys, then when I went back to bb flat it was to find my 1rm, then 3 days later started strength training for flat bb, 3 warm up sets pyramiding (moderate reps), then did 4x4-6 with a weight you can only just finish the set with, by the time you get to the end of the 3rd & 4th set you should need a spotter for piece of mind, you will be sore, then 3-4 days later do the same but this time add 5kg and aim for 4x4-6 again, repeat and get a spotter, be honest and go hard!!!

Eating right is the key, without the nutrients your body wouldn't be able to sufficently mend itself for the next thrashing, if 5kg is too much then use the 1.25kg on each side, whatever, just keep adding.

Don't worry about the weight of your bench, its the progress that matters. Keep making it!!

sounds good man i think i will give that a try, for sure. Got legs today will try simlar, ill get a spotter for the leg press.

I know Neara, she is a good friend of mine. we both are trainers for club physical. She is a good trainer she will sort you out. Just tell her you want to increase your bench press and wahtever other goals you want to acheive. Where are you seing Neara? At club physical?

As for the testosterone boosters you dont need them. You are young so your body is allready cranking out huge amonuts of test and a test booster wont make any difference.

I do think my euthasmism gets the best of me and i buy/waste money on supplements that i really dont need.

Focus on food, good good food :pray: Don't line the coffers of zee unproven supplement company execs. Shut all crappy supplement claims out of your brain and just eat :nod:

I know Neara, she is a good friend of mine. we both are trainers for club physical. She is a good trainer she will sort you out. Just tell her you want to increase your bench press and wahtever other goals you want to acheive. Where are you seing Neara? At club physical?

As for the testosterone boosters you dont need them. You are young so your body is allready cranking out huge amonuts of test and a test booster wont make any difference.

I know who you are, i am also a chess player im about 2200fide got a current nzcf rating of 2100. I play northshore and auckland central. I am seeing neria on friday. At 1:30.

The dreaded plateau.....

sounds good man i think i will give that a try, for sure. Got legs today will try simlar, ill get a spotter for the leg press.

I tried what you said today but with my legs, did wonders. Warmed up squat 60x10, then 80x6 but it felt a bit easy so i went 110kg 3/6 reps but could get to 8 on 2 of them. WOnders what the brain can do when you push ur max. Then did leg press 200/10reps 240/8reps. 300/4 340/4. then i was smashed and my hamstrigs and glutes were on fire.

I know who you are, i am also a chess player im about 2200fide got a current nzcf rating of 2100. I play northshore and auckland central. I am seeing neria on friday. At 1:30.

Oh shit, thats an awesome rating. I used to play at auckland chess centre quite often. Is Fuatai still playing for north shore?

Oh shit, thats an awesome rating. I used to play at auckland chess centre quite often. Is Fuatai still playing for north shore?

Yeah Futai still plays a bit, i havent actully been to the northshore chess club for a while, But futai plays most of the weekend tournaments. I play more at ACC.

I am male,

I do think my euthasmism gets the best of me and i buy/waste money on supplements that i really dont need.

I will try a new diet, search around for new workout programs. It's all so complicated!

hey bro !

muscleandbrawn.com

or stronglifts.com

read the second one

best site ever

u can gain 25lbs of muscle btw in one month via milk.

Mr universe got his title 3x str8 before steroids were made using this.

and also change ur program up..ur muscles are used to ur program by the looks of it,

member..... to gain mass..forget about keepin the six pack....bulkin up is only a few months..so eat like a monster everyday (in a controlled manner tho).

5-6 meals.... with the magic ones being post workout... and pre-bed...

the milk routine is called 'squats and milk'. GOMAD

read it on stronglifts.com

go to that site and trust me you wont have a single question left after youve read it .. and also..even BETTER... google ' reg park 5 x5 '.

That man was the person arnold trained under :D

hope you enjoy!

Peace

alz

Great sites man,

So much info so much, Almost feel like im going backwards. I wil eat like crazy i think until the end of the year and train hard, just keep adding resistence each week. This will naturally force growth. First year is always the easiest.

Next year Jan i will choose a new type of workout/program.