Cardio Crazy

Croix

Hello again folks,

Here's a question for the fat loss and cardio experts...

Since starting my new training regimine (my main goals being to cut bodyfat from 20% to 10% over 18 weeks while putting on as much "beginner" muscle gains as possible) I've been really getting into the cardio over the last 3 weeks.

I do my cardio at lunch time, (about 2 hours after my mid-morning meal) for 45-50 minutes. I purchased a Polar heart rate monitor to help me out with my 'fat burning zone' - but this is exactly where I am stuck.

At 90kg, age 24, apparently my max HR is supposed to be 196bpm. The 'fat burning zone' then lies somewhere between 138 - 157bpm.

Now that sounds all well and good to someone who has never really done an ounce of exercise in his life, but after measuring my resting heart rate, I found it to be rather high (around 90bpm whille sifting around in the office) with my morning resting heart rate being between 75-80bpm. (Maybe fair play for a heavy caffeine drinker who is very unfit probaly with high colesterol)

So, after doing a few cardio workouts I've found myself really getting into it and enjoying it a lot! so much so that my heart rate when I exercise fluctuates from around 155 - 167bpm after about 10 minutes, and maintains there until the end of the 50 minute session averaging about 162bpm.

So my major concern here is that I maybe going too 'hard out' and starting to burn precious muscle and not doing much for fat burning. Though, I enjoy working out at that level and don't feel like I'm going to pass out or anything, nor do I feel it's THAT hard out (about a 7.5 - 8 out of 10 in activity level).

How can I tell if I'm working out just right or maybe going a bit over the top?

Thanks a lot for any light you can shed on this dilemma :)