Bench Press

weighttraining

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'll post up an intro in the intro section if that makes everyone happy.

I'd have to get on tonka's bandwagon here. I spent many years training in one of Auckland's powerlifting/olympic lifting gyms, and very rarely saw those guys getting over 200kg, unless it was Steve Lousich or Simon (i forget his surname, but he lifted at the worlds). The observation I made of bodybuilders/weekend warriors was that there was always some guy practising his upright rows while spotting the bencher.

Me, I'm happy with a couple of unspotted reps on 115. Then again, I am a grizzled old man who is very cycnical on life in general.

This thread reminds me of that scene in boogie nights: How much do you bench man?

All these stats and figures....doesnt equate to the closet lifters out there who have no interest in strongman or breaking records...end of the day..some peeps just like to lift iron for there own personal reasons..not to show boat or settle some peeps argument that it aint possible....

All these stats and figures...some peeps just like to lift iron for there own personal reasons..not to show boat or settle some peeps argument that it aint possible...

Bingo! 8) "The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver"

(AKA my cock ego will never be as big as yours :pfft: )

All these stats and figures....doesnt equate to the closet lifters out there who have no interest in strongman or breaking records...end of the day..some peeps just like to lift iron for there own personal reasons..not to show boat or settle some peeps argument that it aint possible....

Does this mean you won't be posting a video?

All these stats and figures...some peeps just like to lift iron for there own personal reasons..not to show boat or settle some peeps argument that it aint possible...

Bingo! 8) "The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver"

(AKA my cock ego will never be as big as yours :pfft: )

The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. (Henry Rollins)

Times have changed & technology has caught up, Henry might like to add: The only time two hundered pounds aint two hunderd pounds is when some internet warrior claims to have benched it for ten reps! :grin:

If you go on a public forum pronouncing how much you can lift expect to be called on it! I can't recall how many years I've had to listen to dipshits stating they could break this or that record, or beat this PLing champ or win this Strongman comp easily! Man up & actually do it!

Closet lifter = Bullshit artist IMO :nod:

Eeeeew that kid looks creepy :shock: :pfft:

wheres the vids at

I'm only posting my oly bar effort if Specter posts his vid! :grin: Or should I post mine first? To get the ball rolling etc :-s Any suggestions for a mask? Or should I just paper bag it? :pfft:

Where's the VIDEO?! Every 2nd person has an iPhone and access to a camera. Uploading to youtube and posting the link to a forum is easy enough for a grandmother.

So many people can't back up what they say. In this day and age there is no excuse.

Im 89kg...and can get 2x sets of 140kg at 8-10reps each...but then the rest of my chestworkout fails as my chest is screwed after that...

dont get me wrong bro..but after I did those last time which was just over a month ago, I was 89kg then.....my chest was screwed..I couldnt carry on doing inclines, flyes or declines...that was it..my session was over...and that was the one time..

well trained biceps today..just for a practice run at 1032am this morning I attempted 10reps of 140kg and only managed 5 clean reps and a 6th spotted rep.....and no i didnt take footage of it....and I hadnt eaten anything before hand either...only had a black coffee....make ur own judgement.. :wink:
soooo...when Im at peak levels again and post up vid then what? Maybe NZMM will post up something when he is out of comp phase and show us a lift?

BS-Meter.gif

Specter, NZMM, you both live in Wellington right?

Wander down to Powerhouse and get OB to load a legit 140 and film the reps? I'm sure he wont mind help clear this up?

good idea nate..actually Im up in Hastings now and got my job here that I applied for...so here full time. Was about to message you guys and ask what time and when and where u guys train? I know Ironhyde trains at Aspyre and I went in there today to look at membeship prices etc...not bloody cheap..shesh!

I don't intend to get into heavy lifting for another few months.

I've got vids that are 2 months old. But I never claimed to be anything amazing. 5 reps on 140 at 98kg is nothing. I'd much rather see other people's vids.

No one on here has claimed to be anything amazing...well..not that I have read..

I don't intend to get into heavy lifting for another few months.

I've got vids that are 2 months old. But I never claimed to be anything amazing. 5 reps on 140 at 98kg is nothing. I'd much rather see other people's vids.

QFT. I saw you posted those on getbig a while ago.

Always wondered what happened to Mariusz. Super smooth bench presser and came out of no where to take a bronze medal at the 2003 world bench press champs in the 125kg class. He got a two year ban later that year for jungle juice then disappeared. Good to see him still smashing the iron...hes alot bigger now from when I last saw him.

Always wondered what happened to Mariusz. Super smooth bench presser and came out of no where to take a bronze medal at the 2003 world bench press champs in the 125kg class. He got a two year ban later that year for jungle juice then disappeared. Good to see him still smashing the iron...hes alot bigger now from when I last saw him.

His suspension expired last year, seems he's not keen to do IPF anymore?

Wonder how you'd go with full length arm wraps Tonka?! :grin: Just don't go tearing both tricep tendons like Dariusz to find out!