The best supplements you need for all your goals)

DeeDuub

Hi there everyone. :)

I thought about making this thread for all the pros out there and people who have used alot of supplements who can share with us what supplements to use to meet our goals .

Whats the best combo for good gains/fat burn/cutting up ..whatever!(gains being the dominant one Im guessing)

So like this..Which:

-powder

-creatine

-preworkout drink(If you use one)

-Postworkout protein/creatine /pills/glutamine powder etc whatever...

i.e whats your stash you use that gets you the results as most supplements today do the same thing but marketting tells us this products light years ahead of this ..or this gets you massive gains ..or this gives u massive pump........ alot of people are confused!!!! ( I am for starters!!)

Please list this in a easily understandable format and tell us everything!!!!

(assume we all noobs so explain well please :grin:

Oh and btw,If anyones at Auckland Uni,send me a message.Id love a training partner right now. :D

Thanks again

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a good diet is the most important part of achieving goals...equally and possibly more so than training

i have stopped taking creatine after quite a long time using it with protein powder. my weight has stayed steady, strength the same, no shits anymore

i am thinking that the current brand i have is chalk dust...i did lose a few kgs after swapping to it about 6 weeks ago

having tried a lot of other things i believe most of the gain is psychological....having spent a lot of money you expect a result. i wouldnt say dont try new things but also dont rely on them long term.....just like training routines mix things up.

one other thing is glucosamine....this gets a real good write up and i have used it a bit but over time i began to have minor knee pain....nothing major but twinges and discomfort say after walking down stairs...it was really annoying and i stopped taking the supplement and my knees are back to normal....again this stuff may really help if you have an injury...but for me im better off without it

before adding a new pill to your diet try to get it from real food...ie fish oil....this is a complete rip off....eat more oily fish

I feel asthough i get good gains and it's not until the last month i have started having protein regularly. I also have possibly the worst diet around (no breakfast, 2 large meals with no thought on protein vs carb etc)... I would be very interested to see what people are using/taking.This is what i have started in the last week:

-powder: Balance 100% Whey, Just about to run out and might try Horleys ICE or crossfire

-creatine: Nil

-preworkout drink: Nil (just lots of water during the day)

-Postworkout: Powder as above, 6g fish oil/day and a multi vitamin with minerals.

Roadie: Interesting view on the fish, a month of fish oil pills is $13, i would think that having a lot of oily fish would cost more than that a month and you would have to eat it every day?!?! With a pill, it's as easy as having it with some water and your done, then you can eat a variety of other foods instead of having fish everyday and getting sick of it? Just my thoughts...

hey, yeah ok was sort of meaning that by including fish as part of your diet you then wouldnt need to supplement.....the rip off is the pill not the cost so much

i am only beginning to full appreciate the need for good dietary fat.... but i would not have thought that you need to eat fish everyday to realize the benefits of the fat it contains, happy to be corrected though.

Supps in preferred order for me are:

Protein

Good Multivitamin (Iron as well as I tend to get clinically low levels)

Fish Oils

Creatine

Glutamine etc to follow - (Maxicrop is a good mix from the boys at High Performance Health in Chch).

Also use caffiene pre workout in any form. Post workout high GI carb & protein.

Have steered well clear of prohormones & test boosters - IMHO a lot of these products are probably a harder on the body than steroids and are illegal (and on WADA banned list) anyway, with little evidence to support results. Being objective I'd suggest if anyone is considering prohormones they might as well do the real deal! (not that I'd suggest anyone do either of course).

The key for me is good post-workout protein (currently ON 100% Whey) and good diet.

I'm currently also taking ON creatine mono - by after I finish this cycle I will drop it until I hit my next plateau.

I also use Metaphysics Red Demon - its relatively cheap (cost me $30 dollars for $30 servings) but is good sugarfree energy preworkout. I only use it if I'm feeling a little low before a workout and have already eaten what I'm allowed. I also reduce my three coffee a day habit to one (since I mainly train at night and want to be able to sleep).

Also use EatMe WPC to add to some meals to increase protein (e.g. strawberry shake over weetbix = awesome).

Thanks for the quick replies eveyrone.. :D

Another more specific question then.

Whats the best powder to use?

I have read so much about massgainers now (e, PVL)..e.g they do what they say but would get you slightly fater along the way.

So whats the no bullshit,no fancy talk..plain good protein powder?

What should one look for in a powder ?(BCCASS or that fancy stuff?)

Bodybuilding.com still has optimum %100 as its no1 for years now but some people say its rubbish?

I train hard so dont woryr I aint just talkin and not training.I just want to know whats the best ones out there (whey and casein).

Many thanks to everyone again :grin:

Similar to Nates.

1. Protein (all i've listed taste good and mix well with water or milk)

1a. Standard Protein: I use Whey Maxx, Twinlab is good too

1b.For mass gainer im using Mutant Mass, but cutting down on it a little at the mo because im starting to develop a little gut :) )

1c. As a high Glutamine (slow release good for sleeping) I've only taken mutant pro so far.

2. Multivitamin (though i take Vit A, Zinc, Omega 3 and Vit C separatly as well for other reasons)

3. Creatine (only tried 3-XL so far, but i had very good strength,size and weight gains.

Others:

Morph: Still undecided as a pre workout really, but it helps u absorb protein better as well. Will test it on its own in 2 weeks.

Isa-Test: This also helped with Strength and size gains, but it does make u stupid horney(which its supposed to i guess).

H-Blocker: First time i took this was for a run, worked perfectly, but it wont give you the 'energy' to breathe etc past your limit. But your muscles just dont give up. Worked very well during workouts too. (Id recommend taking this with an energy/strength booster though)

Most effective product I've tested so far is:

Isatori Energize Bullet. 1/2 of the vial works better than any other energy drink ive tried by a long shot. Tried this the day after the H-blockers 1st test, and was the best I had ever done at the run i was doing (of 50ish runs it was the 2nd time i ever completed the run without stopping)

Ill be trying new things soon. Will have some better reviews etc sorted eventually.

Yo,

Can recommend Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey.

Awesome protien. Good results, easy to mix and tastes like (I buy the choc flavour) Drinking Chocolate/Milo/ etc.

I'm keen to train with you at Auckland Uni.

This work for you?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7085

If not - we can work something out....

Hey there

Thanks ..according to your experience I rekon Id take the optimum %100.

I read so many articles everyday that I just want to change programs daily lol

But i mean its all the same in the end ,just the order of the exercises.

Ive recently just hit a massive wall on barbell bench and cant get past it for like 3 months or so...stuck at 65kg-70kg...real shit I Know but i was making gains before that ,Now plateued so switched to DB.

anyways my cell is 0211103260 .Names Ali.. 2nd year doing bcom and japanese(random I know lol-.Im fluent tho hehe)

I train with a mate whos about the same strenght as me now but would rather you or all of us since you pro :grin:

Im at uni tomorrow .Text me

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I prefer to use a combination protien e.g a powder that is a mixture of whey, albumin (egg protein), lactobumin,caseinate (milk protein) because it digests alot slower than pure whey. You get the instant hit of protein with the whey but also a constant supply over the next few hours as the other proteins take alot longer to be assimilated. There is even research from the american college of fitness that suggests that pure whey (isolate) overloads protein receptors within the muscle cell to such a large extent that they can shut down for up to 12 hours (thus not absorbing anymore protein during this time).

So I normally use Leppin pro 4 or recommend to my clients that they use some form of combination protein powder. I do believe whey is exellent for times when fast asorbtion is paramount i.e first thing in the morning when the body has been catabolic all night and of course directly after a workout. At all other times a combimation protein is better (IMO).

You can achieve this of course by using whey powder and just blending in a few tablespoons of cottage cheese, or making your whey shake in eggcel or egg whites.

A good multi vitamin and mineral tablet is usefull also just to make sure you are not deficiant in anything. I find creatine does amazing things for some people but almost nothing for others, so it is one of those things you have to experiment yourself with. I highly recommend L-Glutamine though, but to get the best results it is best to take at least 10g of it at a time, 10g after training and again before bed will give exellent results.

Fish oils as well are something I recommend to all my clients particularly if you are trying to lose weight, I usually take at least 15 or so fish oil caps a day, and for my clients that are getting ready for bodybuilding comp normally around 4 capsules or so with every meal (so 20 or more) a day.

I think weight gainer powders are a waste of money. Paying 80 or 90$ for what equates to 3kg of carbohydates (after subtracting the 1 kilo or less protein content) is just madness. You can get the same effect by adding some rolled oats, or honey or sugar (if you want an insulin spike ) for a hundreth of the price. Or just buy 3kg of rice or potatoes for a couple of bucks.

Adaptogenic herbs like siberian ginsing are exellent particularly if you are going through a heavy training cycle. They work by lowering cortisol levels in the body thus allowing the body to recover faster and more completly (we all know one of the main ways anabolic steroids work is as cortisol blockers). It may sound far fetched to some of you for me to suggest herbs but the bodybuilder world is slowly realizing there potential, Biotest is now selling a Rhodiola (an adaptogenic herb) supplement for muscle building and stamina and tribulus which you all know is also an adaptogenic herb.

The use of these type of herbs will become more prevalent over the next few years.

Main reason i take weight gainers is because they are so easy to 'eat' compared to normal foods and i never get sick of them (some are nice enough that i kinda crave them)

I still eat about 2-3 cups of oats a day but it takes forever to eat, when i can down a shake in a few minutes or 30 seconds.

Maybe i should be taking more omega 3 though, i only have 1 cap of omega 3 and 1 vit A a day. Have fish sometimes too.

all balance products simply because I can get them for around 25-30% off RRP through a friend

when massing i take:

100% whey - breakfast and pre workout with dextrose

ultimate recovery stack - bcaa, glut, hmb, creatine, Beta alanine - post workout

pure wpi and dextrose - post workout after 20 mins - lett ultimate stack settle in first

night time growth protein before bed

when cutting i take:

thermo ripped caps before cardio in morning

ultra ripped protien before workout

pure wpi after with dextrose

night time growth b4 bed or when i get hungry after dinner like 930pm

I have had pretty good results with these. definatly noticed an improvement when i started taking the ultimate stack from just taking protein and basic mono. apparently Beta alenine is shown to greatly improve the results of creatine. + the bcaa and hmg and glutamine was just stuff i couldnt be bothered with but now its easier all in one. \:D/

i figred out once i spend about $10 a training day on supplements which is the price of 2 coffes and a powerade so i think thats all good.

I don't use a lot.

- Creatine monohydrate powder, because it's about the only real supplement that actually works

- Beta-alanine, because I got some cheap from the States and I wanted to play with it; it might actually work too

- Generic multi

- Extra zinc, magnesium, and calcium, just to make sure I'm not deficient

- Alacen 450 whey, mainly taken pre/during and post-workout with milk; but I don't even consider this a supplement, it's just powdered food.

There is even research from the american college of fitness that suggests that pure whey (isolate) overloads protein receptors within the muscle cell to such a large extent that they can shut down for up to 12 hours (thus not absorbing anymore protein during this time).

Holy crap.

I got the Omega 3 from GNLD, was through a local person for the discount, but you can get it direct from them.(and get your own discount.)

I haven't compared their prices to anyone else really. But they have very strict standards on where they get all the ingredients from. e.g. for Omega 3 from a certian type of Salmon they breed and actual foods for vitamins rather than mould etc.

There is even research from the american college of fitness that suggests that pure whey (isolate) overloads protein receptors within the muscle cell to such a large extent that they can shut down for up to 12 hours (thus not absorbing anymore protein during this time).

Thats quite a large claim. Care to provide the research from the american college of fitness?

Thats quite a large claim. Care to provide the research from the american college of fitness?

I too am keen to read stated research.