Plate loaded incline chest press - your opinions

iwilson

Time for an update on this thread. The Technogym gear arrived last week. Feedback so far has been great. There's a lot of sore bodies floating around. The decline is particularly good, the arc of motion brings the handles inwards giving a massive squeeze that you can't replicate using a bar and no way can you go as heavy with dumb bells. It can take 100kg on each side and being plate loaded you can really fine tune it with 1.25kg increments. Turns out we're the only Club in NZ with this particular machine since Les Mills for some reason didn't buy one.

Here's a shot of it in action.

Decline-1.jpg

The match off between the Hoist line and Technogym never happened after the Hoist distributor decided it wasn't worth bringing in the specific pieces when a sale wasn't certain. It made my decision easy and given the top service I've had from the Hoist distributor I have no problem with their decision.

The Club is having an Open day this Saturday so if anyone wants to have a play then feel free. In addition I just bought a line of Russian kettle bells from Mr. Kettle bell Mike Capper. Don't know why most Clubs don't have them but I reckon they're the missing link in strength training. The common thinking is novices start on machines then work there way up to free-weights where technique is important. Kettle bells are the next step from free-weights where technique is even more important. The range of exercises is huge, but there is a real lack of information out there on how to get the best from them. Mike has been trained in the States and I was pretty impressed with his knowledge when he popped out a few weeks ago. I showed him a Kettle bell poster I was going to buy for the Club and he completely rubbished it, he's promised to make his own one up showing the "correct technique".

Here's a vid from Mike's site.

Mike runs workshops from time to time at Fitness Plus in Manukau, but he'll be at the Club on Saturday from 10am to 12pm running an informal technique session. He normally charges $150 per head for a workshop but will be giving his time for free on Saturday, so if anyone wants to pop down the motorway for a free workout and Kettle bell session you're welcome. If that wasn't good enough you can see some real iron in action at the Glenbrook Vintage railway, they're having a Thomas the Tank engine day on Saturday. My three year old is counting down the hours!

Picture%20049.jpg 8)

Address is:

Counties Fitness

151 Manukau Rd

Pukekohe

iwilson, i couldnt agree more, especially about the decline loaded plate press. I tried it the other day and the pump i got was phenominal. its like a cross between crossover, flies and decline bench feeling, without the blood rush to my head :pfft: . its a pitty you got rid of the old incline bench (the one with the low seating),loved that machine. the incline plate loaded is also really good too. saw the kettle bells today, think i'll do some research into kettle bell training before making a complete fool of myself :pfft:

cheers Nick

Hi Nick, the old incline bench was leased so had to go when all the new gear arrived. If you want to find out more about Kettle bells then turn up at 10am on Saturday for a free technique session from an expert. Bear in mind Kettle bells aren't generally used for Bodybuilding they're more about pure strength and endurance. In saying that I just found an article HERE that reckons there is a place for Kettle bells in a Body building training regime.

Over the last few years, kettlebell training has grown by leaps and bounds in the US and overseas. Thousands of people have experienced the cardio and muscular endurance benefits of kettlebell training. However, not too many people realize that kettlebell training is a great way to pack on some functional size and strength. In other words, be as strong as you look with the strength and size that you build via kettlebell training.