NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
Pseudonym

Anabolic vs CKD vs Atkins diets?

So Spring has sprung, the grass has ris, and I'm wondering where my abs is. About this time every year, the sun starts shining and I think, "Oh shit! Summer's on it's way, and I'm not ready!"

Normally I just do a half-hearted cut. Ease up on the carbs, do a few token cardio sessions, that sort of thing. It's enough to get me down to ~10% BF, but this year I'd like to go a bit further. And preferably without too much more effort. So....

What do we all think about the Anabolic Diet? Do we like it? Does it manipulate muscle-building hormone levels like it claims? Is it better than the other keto diets? Is there something better still?

Ive currently just started the Ultimate Diet 2.0 . From the book ultimate diet 2.0 by lyle mcdonald. hes basically the guy who developed helped develop CKD diets. Have read both the anabolic diet and this and imo this looks superior. They are Similar but the anabolic diet is fairly unstructured and does not give much detail into the training that should be used like lyle does in his book. pm me if u want more info.

He offers different ways to modify it to suit your needs. this is what im following

Monday: Depletion Full Body Workout - Half maintenace cals / low carb

Tuesday: Depletion Full Body Workout - Half maintenance cals / low carb

Wednesday: Cardio - Half maintenance cals / low carb

Thursday: Cardio - Half maintenance cals / low carb

Friday AM - Tension Workout - Begin Carb load

Satuday - Power workout - Diet variable dependant on goals

Sunday - possible cardio at night - diet variable dependant on goals

There is alot of science behind it he explains in the book but waaay to detailed for me to go into!

So Spring has sprung, the grass has ris, and I'm wondering where my abs is. About this time every year, the sun starts shining and I think, "Oh shit! Summer's on it's way, and I'm not ready!"

Normally I just do a half-hearted cut. Ease up on the carbs, do a few token cardio sessions, that sort of thing. It's enough to get me down to ~10% BF, but this year I'd like to go a bit further. And preferably without too much more effort. So....

What do we all think about the Anabolic Diet? Do we like it? Does it manipulate muscle-building hormone levels like it claims? Is it better than the other keto diets? Is there something better still?

very interesting pseudo! im planning on trying a keto approach for next cut (ages away :pfft: ), this looks like a good plan. i did a basic carb cycling diet, and got fast fatloss, but that was losing 'easy' fat, i expect this type of diet would work well for your intentions (rippped). I say do it! sl is a good site, id trust it...

The anabolic diet does work well. I think it would be perfect for as well bacause your bodyfat is naturaly low allready you dont really require something as drastic as a full on ketogenic diet. This is exactly the type of diet I prescribe for clients who dont struggle with fat loss and need to maintain muscle tissue while losing. If you read Dan Duchaines Bodyopus book (the best book on dieting ever written) you will see has fine tuned the anabolic diet down to an exact science. It definately does manipulate ones hormone levels as you can feel the testosterone surges (reported to me from numerous clients who didnt know this would happen) when you start to bring back in the carbs. Normally when preparing clients for competition I will have them on a modified anabolic diet where they are basically on a ketogenic diet ( or close to a ketogenic state) and if they havent lost any bodyfat for a week or ten day straight I will get them do a high carb to re set thier thyroid,start secreating leptin again ect... this seems to work every time. One or two days on high carbs and then they start losing again straight away. It gives them a nice break psychologicaly as well.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jake - I've heard of the Ultimate Diet. It looks pretty complicated though, and I'm having enough trouble finding time to organise tomorrow's meals as it is! Maybe one day I'll have the time and mental energy to devote to the Ultimate Diet, but there's no way I could make it work right now.

Cheers guys. I might start playing with the Anabolic diet on Monday and see what happens. Prepare for one grumpy, carb-depleted admin! :D

no worries mate. its not as labour intensive as it seems to setup. im abit ocd haha. so something thats quite strucutred vs more loose like the anabolic diet should work better for me imo. Flick me a pm with ur email and ill email you a copy of the book when i get the time if u want

Anabolic Diet seems awesome to me - if it works that is (which according to reports, it does). What lifter wouldnt want to smash meat and oils for 5 days then get to carb up on the weekends.. sounds like a fun diet to me!

Are you going to try it Psuedo?

Anabolic Diet seems awesome to me - if it works that is (which according to reports, it does). What lifter wouldnt want to smash meat and oils for 5 days then get to carb up on the weekends.. sounds like a fun diet to me!

Im contemplating giving it a go the only reservation I have is that with the way its designed you have to follow it to the letter, one slip up with the carbs durring the week and you ruin the effect of the diet?. If you dont stay carb depleted durring the week the diet will make you fat wont it :-s

Im contemplating giving it a go the only reservation I have is that with the way its designed you have to follow it to the letter, one slip up with the carbs durring the week and you ruin the effect of the diet?. If you dont stay carb depleted durring the week the diet will make you fat wont it :-s

Nah I don't think its that tough - controlling carbs wouldnt be that hard (possible understatement) and people are reporting over 30g intake without too much problem. You can also exclude the fibrous carbs as they dont count apparently.

The tough thing to handle is apparently the feeling of... well, feeling sh!t. I can imagine those solid carb up days and high fat meals can make you feel a bit yuck after a while given it pretty much goes against everything you've ever stuck to.

Ive currently just started the Ultimate Diet 2.0 . From the book ultimate diet 2.0 by lyle mcdonald. hes basically the guy who developed helped develop CKD diets. Have read both the anabolic diet and this and imo this looks superior. They are Similar but the anabolic diet is fairly unstructured and does not give much detail into the training that should be used like lyle does in his book. pm me if u want more info.

He offers different ways to modify it to suit your needs. this is what im following

Monday: Depletion Full Body Workout - Half maintenace cals / low carb

Tuesday: Depletion Full Body Workout - Half maintenance cals / low carb

Wednesday: Cardio - Half maintenance cals / low carb

Thursday: Cardio - Half maintenance cals / low carb

Friday AM - Tension Workout - Begin Carb load

Satuday - Power workout - Diet variable dependant on goals

Sunday - possible cardio at night - diet variable dependant on goals

There is alot of science behind it he explains in the book but waaay to detailed for me to go into!

Carb loads ftw! How are you finding UD 2.0? Have you ever tried PSMF'ing?

Got off to a great start yesterday when I left my carefully-measured blocks of cheese at home. :doh:

So I popped across the road, picked up a round of camembert, and sat at my desk eating it like a sandwich - much to my colleagues' amusement. One of them even took a photo to show his kids. :?

I'm already wondering whether it's necessary to go the full 12 days before the first carb-load. Surely 5 would be enough?