Fat loss? Help!

tiny

should she be eating more often

Heh! 'She' is the cat's mother! :pfft: But yes women do need to eat :haha:

I did have a steak pie though

At least it wasn't KFC! Glad to hear you're not dying Tiny. Hope the training is going OK? Had a wee giggle re how you sprained your ankle 8)

• 9 months later...

Yes, I am a girl, hence putting this in the ladies room.

Okay! Here's my diet.

I always use low/no fat or low sodium options where applicable...

Breakfast:

A protein shake with banana and maybe a piece of wholegrain toast with half a teaspoon of margarine. I might pick up a medium latte twice a week.

Lunch:

*Grilled chicken/salmon on ciabatta/wholegrain bread,

*thin slices of cheese on bread

*tuna and mayo always with salad and water with juice of half a lemon (apparently it reduces GI or something... meh, it tastes good) and I might have a cup of tea afterwards too.

Dinner: I only have dinner 2-3 times a week so I'll have a protein shake (only if it's after a workout) and grilled red meat or marinated chicken of some sort and salad and a slice of bread, followed by a cup of tea.

On the weekends I might have a Wendy's frozen yogurt and some eggs on toast. And of course my KFC 2 piece quarter pack every three weeks which usually cancels out lunch and dinner for that day... usually because I'm too busy.

Yeah, likewise, we have common fast food. We have, Mcdonald, Wendy's, Jollibee, KFC, Inasal, Burger king, and also chow king. However, most of them are really good but Wendy's and McDonald, I like most. online

• 8 months later...

I've found reading this page is very helpful as you more or less have the same diet and training regime as I do. The only difference is that I'm 22, I'm 61 kgs and about 171cms tall (5ft 7).

I really try not to skip meals as I know it's a really unhealthy eating habit so if I'm in a hurry I'll just have either a protein shake or a meal replacement shake.

Hi tiny and welcome

do you drink at all

i know a lot of women have a few wines in the weekends and this is excess calories that can be avoided as well.

a few drinks might not seem much but can hamper progress

also like someone else suggested try changing your routines around a bit might kick start weight loss

why are you hinting to take her out for a wine?!!!! lol sorry, couldn't help that comment.

Hi Tiny, hope you are starting to feel like you are making progress. Here is a basic nutrition plan that I follow now and then. I am 5ft4 63kg.

Breakfast: 1/3 cup rolled oats (cook them then add)

1 serving whey protein powder

1 small banana

Morning Tea: Protein shake and apple

Lunch: Large salad with small tin sundried tomatoe salmon

Afternoon Tea: Tub trim yoghurt

1/4 cup almonds

Dinner: Serving chicken or beef (150g) stir fry veg (no spuds, pasta, rice)

I drink tea, decaf, water. If you want a treat meal, have a subway wrap, I get teriyaki chicken no dressing or cheese.

Definately ditch the bread out of your diet and cheese. Do some research on the nutrition site for ideas.

Hey Tiny,

Welcome !

You might this article helpful

that article will change my life!!! I hate cardio at the best of times but I find doing HIIT heaps better - but what are these kettle ball circuits and weights circuits she's talking about? I always do my weights sorta circuit-like, reasonably hard with not much rest in between sets - is this what she means or am I missing something?? Anymore help would be great!!

My personal 2c worth - fundamentally, they're just ultra-high reps at light weight. Not so much three sets of 10-12, but sets lasting between 2-5 minutes per movement (e.g. squatting at varying tempos nonstop for five minutes, brutally short rest then into a complementary or opposing muscle group).

It's about duration, and intensity - and trust me, I've seen bodybuilders who can squat 200kg for a half-dozen reps, left pale and shaking after squatting 40 kg for 5 minutes of non stop reps.

You can vary tempo - for legs, imagine squatting "down for two, up for two" ten times, ten singles, repeat... then "down for four, up for one" ten times, ten singles, repeat... then moving to lunges, exact same pattern but caning hamstrings instead of quads. Once hams are toast, it's back to quads.... and after only sixty seconds rest to get set-up, it's straight into e.g. chest-triceps, back-biceps..... for chest, do the same pattern in press-ups, then roll-over and do close-grip press...

In terms of group classes at a gym, Pump's probably the closest - the basic idea's using weights for resistance for hi reps.

Alternatively, this is an idea..

That article is freakin amazing!!!! I am totally sold on weight lifting for sculpting a lean hard body. When I was running 6 ks a day, I would lose weight but I was still "skinny fat" which is quite depressing when you are trying so hard. Now I am still the same weight but have lost inches off my back, tummy, and butt. Just from weightlifting and cutting down on carbs. It is possible, that my body would probably benefit from running again, but not too the extent I was doing it thats for sure. Awesome article Katie. :clap:

Good stuff, I'd think you should eat more small meals during day (fruit tuna, small amounts of wholefoods) at least 4 servings per day. Carbs only in the morning, maybe a liitle for lunch. change a weight session or two for more cardio and you should be well on track!

Hi Tiny. I have just started on Horleys Ripped and seem to be dropping weight, I am 174 cm and currently 76.4 kgs so as you can see I have approx 10 kgs to lose but I seem to be dropping quickly sticking to two horleys drinks, one for breakfast and one for lunch, with a 1/2 banana in the breakfast one and 5 strawberries in the lunch one. I also use almond or rice milk to dairy milk, purely ethical decision although I know horleys contains milk products. I then have a proper dinner but stick to 1200 calorie intake each day. On mondays I do 60 mins of pump, 60 mins of zumba, tuesday pump or a low impact class. Swim 1 km on wednesday and free weight training, thursday a body combat class which burns 450 + calories, Friday 30 interval training on the treadmill and free weights (which I am just getting the hang of so only doing 30 kg on the bench press and whining about it). Weekends are just what ever I can fit it. Seems to be working ok but Horleys I think is what has really made the diff and severely restricting my intake x

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tiny :D

I'm also new to the site! I am 26 and also 5'1. When I first started my fitness program I was 60kg. I was looking to lose about 5 kg and get stronger and fitter.

It's now been 9 months since I started and I've lost about 9kgs of body fat and have started muscle sculpting. I am stronger than ever and it shows.

I wanted to share with you the nutrition advice I was given, as it may be of some use to you with your goals.

Micro-nutrients

Small but powerful! Micro-nutrients are vitamins and minerals your body needs to function everyday. Exercise increases your body's requirements for micro-nutrients. If just one is missing, it could make a huge difference to your results. For example, your body uses iodine to make thyroid hormones that drive your metabolism. You only need a little iodine each day, but without it your exercise will be worthless. Don't think for a minute that another 1/2 hour on the cross-trainer will fix it, short changing your body on micro-nutrients can slam the door shut on your fat cells.

Hunger

Sure, you'll burn lots of calories running or spinning. Problem is, your body can't burn 800 calories of body fat in an hour. Carbs or muscle glycogen will fuel your exercise. This is going to ramp up your appetite hormones, just the thing you don't want when your goal is to lose kilos. Exercising like this, without replenishing your body will leave you feeling tired and hungry.

Metabolism

If your priority is to lose weight (body-fat) then your priority should be your eating plan. If you increase your exercise without increasing your nutritional status you will mess up your metabolic rate and slow down fat burning. If you are exercising regularly and not getting results, its usually because you are undernourished.

So, in short after reading this article given to me by a trainer at my gym (I have just given a few main points here for you) I have learnt how nutrition really is the key to weight loss (my trainer says it's 80% about food!) and I have really seen some great results from making sure that I am eating enough of the right foods, to fuel my body through the work I make it do.

Don't skip meals, drink lots of water and get lots of proper rest in-between.

As for KFC, once every 3 weeks? I say do it if you love it. We all still need to have a little treat now and then, treats can be helpful to your goals, if you try to cut out ALL the fun stuff entirely you are more likely to "relapse" more often.

Hope this helps! :pfft:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey wow. Didn't know this thread was still going!

Good to read all your articles re: weight training. In the interim, I did start doing some weights (started squatting around 115-120 at one stage), but got a bit lazy with a knee injury. Sucks. Got a PT who sucked a reasonable amount of ass - it happens.

Getting back into it as of a few weeks ago. Cleaned up my diet heapppppsss (no more KFC, yuck) but a bit too sheepish to post pics yet and also too tired to write anymore.

Cool to see Hazel posting on here. Lookin good!

EDIT: wtf? 45min HIIT? I think I was probably burning muscle at that point. Dick.