What has your gym done for you lately????

Lowfat

A bit of a long winded grizzle here folks........

As we are all aware, member retention is a HUGE part of any decent gyms' business plan and, ultimately, financial survival, with prize draws, giveaways and special deals, free this and free that, and so on to attract new members. And fair enough, after all they gotta do what they can to survive a tough marketplace out there.

However, with all this attention being thrown at attracting new members, its the current crop of loyal, long-term members that have been almost totally overlooked and forgotten.

I myself have been a member of my current gym for 4yrs now, and while I'm happy to stick with it for now, I gotta be honest and say I'm looking around. If it wasnt for the fantastic staff there, I'd be looking a lot harder. I get pissed off when every mth another promo comes out to hook new members, and we as existing members might be lucky to get a choc bikkie if we refer friends to join (exaggeration, but you get the point). This is industry wide of course, not limited to my gym by any means. Now I dont expect a new car every year, but come on, its about time the loyal were adequately rewarded for their continued support.

What you guys think?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gym is great. While they shag around lining the ceiling to retain some warmth, they're roping off a lot of the gear so no-one can use it. Everyday you have to hunt around for the new location of machines that keep getting shifted to allow for the scaffolding.

I'm not really bitching but why not line the ceiling earlier before the winter sets in, not during it. Its a cold hole during winter and a sweat box in summer.

Have noticed that the numbers are steadily dropping. I think the new gyms starting up are not only taking the members they're also attracting the staff.

For loyal members you get ........................................invited to the pictures so they can promote something new.

Mine's currently offering a free pair of trainers if you get someone to join - but sadly in the 3 years I've been going I've never managed to convince a single one of my friends or colleagues to join, so no shoes for me :lol:

I really don't know what else my gym does for loyal members. Nothing as far as I can see. Though I do recall hearing some girls talking a couple of years ago talking about the gym Christmas party they'd been to - but it seems that it's only for people with PTs, not just people like me who go 5 times a week but don't have a PT. Only a certain type of loyal member who pays more I guess.

Mine's currently offering a free pair of trainers if you get someone to join - but sadly in the 3 years I've been going I've never managed to convince a single one of my friends or colleagues to join, so no shoes for me :lol:

I really don't know what else my gym does for loyal members. Nothing as far as I can see. Though I do recall hearing some girls talking a couple of years ago talking about the gym Christmas party they'd been to - but it seems that it's only for people with PTs, not just people like me who go 5 times a week but don't have a PT. Only a certain type of loyal member who pays more I guess.

Its just a gym..I go there to train and dont expect anything for long serving loyal members. I dont rate it or advertise its appeal when friends ask me about it. Yeah, they need to work alot on satisfying some of the loyal members. Cant remember anything that the gym has done actually.

Its just a gym..I go there to train and dont expect anything for long serving loyal members. I dont rate it or advertise its appeal when friends ask me about it. Yeah, they need to work alot on satisfying some of the loyal members. Cant remember anything that the gym has done actually.

Oh I agree, I don't expect anything either. Though I have enjoyed a few free tickets to the rugby in the past through their newsletter. That was when I first joined though, haven't won anything lately!

Oh I agree, I don't expect anything either. Though I have enjoyed a few free tickets to the rugby in the past through their newsletter. That was when I first joined though, haven't won anything lately!

They've not done much to rave about, I admit. Once upon a time, there were gifts to 5- and 10-year members, but I rocked over the 5yr mark, not a thing! Sure, they sometimes run themed (Xmas, Halloween, etc) cardio and give out chocolate frogs n Easter eggs, but I think the most I got was a free t-shirt three or four years ago for answering a survey.

Unfortunately, some of the staff are very clique-y, and if you're just a plain old low-maintenance customer, you don't seem to feature on their radar.

my gym is awesome. hold competitions all the time, biggest lsoer, tour de gym, gym triathalon... friendly-ish atmosphere... mainly clean... plenty of gear :pfft:

have to agree with laura here. the gym i train at is frequently doing this type of thing, 12 week challenge, indoor triathalons,they were giving mountain bikes away to new members at one stage!!

they have the obvious themed xmas classes and give away i-pods etc. provide some discount on supplements to some longer serving memebers or package deals(though no where near the prices of online stores).

upgraded the gear recently and when i'm only paying $8.95 p/w i definatly can't complain.

most of the staff are great, obviously have a bit of clique going but what gym or work place doesn't? :clap: :clap:

Try and look on positive side, at least you have a choice.

Only have a choice of 3 gyms

1 is mainly focused on aerobics and a few weights- no equipment with electronics ie treadmills, cross trainers, rowers, cycles (only old style)

no TV

None have any staff working in them to help you, PT's (only 3 in counrty that are working) are hard to get when you want them.

Showers are all cold (but its hot here so thats not a real negative)

All closed on Sundays and public holidays

And a years membership is approx $500 NZD!

1 is mainly focused on aerobics and a few weights- no equipment with electronics ie treadmills, cross trainers, rowers, cycles (only old style)

no TV

None have any staff working in them to help you, PT's (only 3 in counrty that are working) are hard to get when you want them.

no TV

Fark...are you in a foreign prison? :pfft:

As much as I pay my membership/s to go and train it would be good if long standing members could make use of some of those specials from time to time.

Over the years I have had up to 3 different memberships on the go, lived in Masterton and worked in Wellington so was a member of City Fitness back home so I could train in the weekends and Les Mills so I could go when I was at work. Then towards the end there I was lucky enough to go to Waiweight (which is the best gym out and I miss it immensely), but still had a few months left on my City Shitness.

Les Mills is expensive for a new member, pretty sure if you sign up for 1 year it is $30 a week and gets cheaper the longer the contract. Thankfully I picked mine up on trademe several years back and paid a lot less, the cool factor is I can go into any Les Mills in the country and that made my migration north to Auckland seamless.... 8 weeks later and I have never been stopped or questioned.

But back to topic, yeah I want some free stuff too, free food taste better so I can only imagine how good free gear is.

Its an interesting question, and one that my clients often bring up. No new equipment for 2 years, so where does all the income go?

Advertising at the mo seems to be where most of the funds go, and a dynamite sales team. Get them in, then leave 'em to it seems to be the motto for a lot of gyms.

Theres a suggestion box, but as far as I am aware, the suggestions are ignored.

I often give small gifts to clients, a massage voucher, supplements, food/training diaries etc. I also have a massive xmas party at the end of the year for my cleints. Prezzies, food galore and too many bottles of bubbly. A small gesture for showing my appreciation.

PT's are a different thing altogether... but the're 'self-employed contractors' running their own businesses and paying rent. I'd never begrudge PT fees - but gym fee increases for no new investment... 'nother story.

That boxing ring down at the gym..who is that benefiting? Cramped as it is already...

Nothing....all I want them to do is make sure that the equipment works and that everything is as clean as they can make it....perhaps my expectations are low, but I just don't care about promos...I get pissed if things don't work, or like everybody else some prick is hogging a machine...other than that... :pray: :pray: ,..nadda