Chillicat's journal

Chillicat

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'm struggling with the 'no drinking' politics myself. I got the, "I miss the old you", last weekend cause I said I wasn't drinking anymore. Not cool.

Oh well, at least we have our priorities straight!

My priorities are becoming straighter, but are still a wee bit crooked!

But I'm determined to lay off the alcohol this month, and probably the first half of next month - right up til my birthday/holiday, then I might relax the rules a bit for a couple of weeks. But by then I'll have zero tolerance anyway, so a half a glass of wine will be all I'll be able to manage anyway! Keeping this journal will help keep me on the straight and narrow though.

Yeah I'm struggling with the 'no drinking' politics myself. I got the, "I miss the old you", last weekend cause I said I wasn't drinking anymore. Not cool.

Ouch. I find it extremely sad how people put that pressure on - "I miss the old you" is classic. True friends would encourage you to achieve your goals and be happy that you're doing something good for yourself. f*ck that sounds a bit new age but I've struck a similar situation myself recently so it's been on my mind.

A lady at work invited me over to play poker last weekend. She mentioned drinking, I said I don't drink. She then said something along the lines of "we'll see about that".

In a work meeting later that day she bought it up again and proceeded to say similar things re getting me to drink, in front of about 20 work colleagues who were all drinking, and threw in some comments about spiking my drink.

So I didn't go. On Monday she approached me in a confrontational manner demanding to know why I didn't go. I calmly explained that I'm training and don't want to hinder my progress at this point. And that I felt unnecessarily pressured to drink, that I wasn't sure they'd let it drop on the night. She walked away.

Five minutes later I got a message of apology saying she never would've pressured me to drink. But all indications prior to that were the opposite.

It happens a lot, you don't drink, go to someone's place, the pub, whatever, and someone will pressure you, in some way, to conform to the social norm (and get slaughtered :pfft: )

Oh well, at least we have our priorities straight!

My priorities are becoming straighter, but are still a wee bit crooked!

But I'm determined to lay off the alcohol this month, and probably the first half of next month - right up til my birthday/holiday, then I might relax the rules a bit for a couple of weeks. But by then I'll have zero tolerance anyway, so a half a glass of wine will be all I'll be able to manage anyway! Keeping this journal will help keep me on the straight and narrow though.

You can justify getting boozed as your high carb day for the week.

Right, I'm leaving work shortly to go meet my friend, so I'll do a quick update of today's progress.

At the gym I didn't do a great deal, I have to admit - just 20 mins of cardio and 15 mins of abs - very much bits and pieces, some of these and a few of those. Not very structured, so I guess I should maybe try to list some excercises to do on abs days (I'm the kind of person who forgets everything if it's not written down - couldn't do supermarket shopping to save my life without a list).

As for food:

1. Oats, yogurt and PP (less than yesterday, but still super filling - about half a cup, just under)

2. Apple

3. Protein shake

4. Half tin of tuna with 3 ryvitas

5. I'm about to have some leftovers from last night's dinner even though I'm not hungry at all. Early dinner tonight so that I don't get hungry while out.

6. I've got a little tin of tuna in my bag (and a fork) for if I get hungry before I get home.

7. Will have something before bed, probably a yogurt and protein powder

I was (and I quote) 'a bad influence on the younger girls'. I'm very proud of that!

So I went out and met my friend with 6 others last night. Had a soda water which was very nice. Another of the guys there was a non-drinker, so I wasn't alone. They all needed food so ended up going across to a kebab place. I was feeling very pleased I'd already had my early dinner, and didn't touch a single thing, not even one chip from my husband's chips at the bar or a bit of pita or a piece of lamb at the kebab place. We left early as neither of us wanted a late night, got the 8pm bus home, and that gave me enough time to gobble down my tin of tuna to keep me going til yogurt and PP before bed snack.

So that's my first pub trip with unexpected restaurant trip survived!

Today's workout:

Arm curl machine 15kg 4x5, 20kg 1x5

Bicep curl EZ bar 5kg 8-5-8-5-5

Bent over rows 12.5kg 1x5, 15kg 1x5, 17.5kg 1x8, 20kg 2x8 (I've only done these in pump before, not in the main gym, so it took a while to work out what weight I should be using!)

Lat pulldown 35kg 3x5, 40kg 2x5

Seated cable rows 35kg 4x5, 42kg 1x5

Bicep curls with 7kg dbs 5x5

One arm row 9kg 3x5, 10kg 2x5

I'm not going to bother writing my food today, as it's pretty much the same as the last few days. I'm fine with keeping to my good(ish) eating during the week, it's weekends where I fall down, so I'll make sure I'm honest and update food at the weekend.

My Tanita bodyfat scale arrived yesterday, so I've had a few weighs (last night, in the middle of the night, and first thing in the morning). The booklet said that you were likely to show higher bodyfat first thing in the morning when you're most dehydrated, so I was a bit worried when I jumped on last night and it showed 30% :( but it was actually slightly lower in the morning, 29% (but still :( )

Lots of work to do then!

Not to worry Chillicat, remember it might not be accurate. You're actually quite light too so I doubt you're that high.

Scales are teh devil. Don't worry about the actual BF reading. Just focus on whether it's reducing, if you intend to carry on using them.

Because you could jump on another set and they might give you a completely different reading.

Or the BF reading might not change even though you can *see* and *feel* results. This happened to me a while ago. So I threw the stupid things out :pfft:

2cents.

Not to worry Chillicat, remember it might not be accurate. You're actually quite light too so I doubt you're that high.

Was the bodyfat measurement you put up on your journal taken with a scale? I'm definitely not as lean as you, so I expected to have a higher measure than you via scales (assuming that's how yours was measured).

So from a comparative point of view (comparing me with your photos - unfair I know since I'm nowhere near brave enough yet to put pics up!), it seems about right.

Scales are teh devil. Don't worry about the actual BF reading. Just focus on whether it's reducing, if you intend to carry on using them.

Because you could jump on another set and they might give you a completely different reading.

Or the BF reading might not change even though you can *see* and *feel* results. This happened to me a while ago. So I threw the stupid things out :pfft:

2cents.

Fair call!

I've avoided having any type of scales at home for a very long time, as people can get a bit obsessed with them and their numbers. I really just want them as an indicative measure, not an absolute measure, and since I seem to go to the gym at different times of the day depending on work commitments, whenever I do get on them my weight can be very different from day to day (not that I weigh every day, but you know what I mean).

But I do know that I need to lose bodyfat - I knew that before yesterday, so I think it'll be good just to get an idea of how I'm going. I'm only going to use them first thing in the morning, so it'll be consistent from a time point of view.

My husband is happy - he has no desire to get on them himself, but like that we can now weigh our baggage before we travel anywhere :lol:

I've had a bit of a mare with my bf reading to be honest. The scales told me 30%, whereas skin folds told me 25% (morning), but then the next day in the afternoon another skinfold test said 28% (with a new trainer).

So even though I'm pretty sure I'm not 28%, I'm just going to use that as my base and see if it reduces over time. I am probably leaning towards 25% though.

we can now weigh our baggage before we travel anywhere

Heh!

Hey can you do me a scientific favour and put a cooked chicken breast on them and tell me what the reading is? Seeing as I threw mine out I cannot do eit myself :pfft:

And well I'm just curious. Cos I'm a spaz etc :shifty:

we can now weigh our baggage before we travel anywhere

Heh!

Hey can you do me a scientific favour and put a cooked chicken breast on them and tell me what the reading is? Seeing as I threw mine out I cannot do eit myself :pfft:

And well I'm just curious. Cos I'm a spaz etc :shifty:

:lol: I honestly don't know if you're joking or not!! I don't think it would work anyway - I tried getting on with socks on and it wouldn't read the body fat and would only do it with bare feet. I could do what I do with luggage and jump on first, get my own reading, then jump on again with the chicky breast and see what the difference is!

My 2c worth... having your own set of scales only means that you can rule out one source of inaccuracies...

Weigh yourself infrequently - once a week at best, and don't let the numbers mess with your head.

For consistency, do it at the same time of day, each time... first thing in the morning, last thing at night, but at the same point each time. Issues like "did you train that day"/ "Did you drink as much fluid?"/ "Which workout was it - big muscle groups or small ones"...

These scales tend to work on various simple mathematics calculations, and on a minuscule electrical connection to get the basic data (I want to say it's "impedance" that's being measured, but wtf wud I know?) so a lot depends on accurate estimate of height, age, etc. That can explain some inaccuracies between various measurements.

And then, remember that the only thing that really matters is not the number, but the trend. As long as it's going the right way for your goals, that's all that matters.

I've had a bit of a mare with my bf reading to be honest. The scales told me 30%, whereas skin folds told me 25% (morning), but then the next day in the afternoon another skinfold test said 28% (with a new trainer).

So even though I'm pretty sure I'm not 28%, I'm just going to use that as my base and see if it reduces over time. I am probably leaning towards 25% though.

Oh that is odd.

I'm the same, just using it as a baseline number to work with and to give me an idea of where I am and how much work I need to do. I can get a fair idea of that just by looking in the mirror, but hey, I'm a data analyst, I kind of like to have a number or two to play with!

These scales tend to work on various simple mathematics calculations, and on a minuscule electrical connection to get the basic data (I want to say it's "impedance" that's being measured, but wtf wud I know?)

The electrical current also depends on how much water your body has sloshing about. So if you haven't had much that day, the reading will be higher.

As TFB has said though, if you're using the scales try to keep the conditions the same each time. The BF reading may not be accurate, but it will be consistent. If it keeps dropping, you're on the right target.

Today was shoulders:

Dumbell presses - 9kg 1x5, 10kg 4x5

Dumbell upright rows - 7kg 1x5, 8kg 4x5

Lat raises - 6kg 4x5, 7kg 1x5

Shoulder press machine 25kg 5x5

Press ups with legs raised on small swiss ball - 3x10 (ouch!)

Then I did a bit of cardio on a bike for 20 mins

Food, pretty much same as all week:

1. Oats with yogurt and PP

2. 95g tuna

3. Protein shake

4. Half a peanut butter tortilla

5. 95g tuna and one ryvita (as only one left at work!)

6. Dinner will be beef rendang, made from a packet mix but with low fat coconut milk. I'll only have the teensiest bit of rice with it and lots of veges.

7. Yogurt and protein powder

Things I have done that are good this week

So this is the end of my first week of taking food seriously. I've been reasonably cleanish with my eating habits before this week (well, from a normal person's point of view, not so much someone training), but with alcohol at weekends (I was down to one bottle of wine per week) and then that tends to lead to unnecessary snackage due to a complete loss of control.

This week I have improved my eating in a several ways:

I've ditched cereal for brekkie and replaced it with oats.

I've ditched flavoured yogurts for a plain yogurt, which is fine with oats, and as a snack I just add choc protein powder.

I've made a concious effort to lower the amount of bad carb that goes with my dinner in favour of more of the good carbs - so less couscous, rice, etc, and more veges.

I've added a protein snack before bed.

I've survived a social occasion without drinking.

Also, over the weekend I won't be drinking, and I'll do my best to maintain good eating without my normal work routine to keep me on the straight and narrow.

My food goal for next week is to include more regular tuna and less Thai chilli tuna!

With gym work, I've switched from 2 x general upper body workouts and 2 lower to 4 more targeted workouts. I've also included about 5-6 more excercises into my workouts, and will add more as I go on to keep things fresh.

I'm really pleased with how things have gone and am feeling great.1