115 members have voted

1. 1. which depth do you squat to

• ass to ground
    • below parallel
    • to parallel
    • above parallel
    • 1/2 squats - gym rat style
    • all of the above

Im with Nate on this one and question if the masses who responded to the survey do actually go ATG. I rarely see this happen unless lifters are training for something specific like Oly weightlifting, powerlifting or bodybuilding (experienced/old school BB'ers being the key). Being taught how to squat correctly is another important factor to consider and I think knowledge and practical understanding on this very technical lift is limited.

Squats (along with deadlifts) would also rank as the least liked (and performed) exercise in many gyms around the world because they are quite simply, hard!!. Why would a casual trainer bust his/her ass trying to squat ATG when there is a leg press and hack squat machine available. Hell, most of the top pro BB'ers dont even squat anymore and when they do its normally to parallel.

Powerlifting is in a terrible state of affairs with the number of other world feds and the different rulings on available equipment used and drug testing. Here in NZ we only have the NZPF and they are affiliated with the International Powerlifting Fed - basically should PL go to the Olympics, the IPF would be the world body representative. Mike Millers 1220lbs was done under the IPA, known for there lax laws on equipment (suits etc), NO drug testing, high squats, unlocked bench presses, and unlocked deadlifts. His 1220lbs was, quite simply above parallel.

Squat Bot, I think we dont have to go far from our own shores as NZ's very own Derek Pomana who is a 3 time IPF open 110kg world champ would rate in my books as one of the all time great powerlifters. Derek is so highly respected around the world and was notorious for his RAW strength ability. Training stories of him and his brother Wayne in the Hawkes Bay are legendary in the strength world - Im sure nate could back this up.

Big Mac, you need to squat deeper mate! look at you man with that 300kg, you're as high as a kite...bwwaaaahahahahahahahaha

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But seriously,

I'm with Nate on this one. I'd say the people in this thread who called their squats parallel were well above and those who called their's ATG (as lame as that term is) were maybe just on par. There needs to be another option in this pole "ass below the floor" to represent those who actually squat deep.

This is Taken from the 'Bodybuilding Truth' from Nelson Montana.

Some principles in which I've used, and have found to be really effective. I now dont have problem with the Upper Thigh anymore, it's more my "Match-Stick" Calves that are the Prob now!

Im not too sure if anyone has mentioned these, but they are Awesome!!!

"One and a Half Squats".

Start with a slightly lighter weight than you would normally use for squats until you get the hang of this movement. Descend in the normal fashion, but on the way up, stop at the midway point. Hold this position for four seconds. Now, return to the bottom position. Come up through a full range of motion to a standing position. This movement puts tremendous stress on all the muscles of the legs as well as the glutes. As mentioned, you won't be able to use quite as much weight as with standard squatting, but what do you want... to impress the other guys/girls at the gym with how much you can lift, or bigger legs?

And the other exercise that I don't see being used that Often is

"20 Rep Squats".

Also referred to as "breathing" squats, 20 rep squats are thought by many to be the most "anabolic" of all exercises. Most people think of high reps as a defining technique, but when it comes to squats, make no mistake--the stress to the quads can get mighty intense by the time you hit that fifteenth rep! High rep squatting is also excellent for inducing the natural release of growth hormone.

Take as long as you need between sets. You may also need to take in a few deep gulps of air in between reps. (hence the term "breathing" squats) This is a movement that should be performed as the sole leg exercise. Six sets of twenty reps with a moderate weight is a lot tougher than it sounds. No doubt about it. These are hard. But they work.

IMO with the 'Breathing Squats', it doesnt really matter about depth of squat. Its a Killer Workout!

TOM PLATZ himself Taught ME and LEEPRIEST this in GOLDS in Venice LA .

SQUATS FOR QUAD GROWTH and SHAPE :

Heals elevated apx 2 inches of Floor .

Motion . Toes staight ahead not splayed . Width just slightly narrower than shoulder width , Squat Kness over toes to Parelle no Further with Head looking up .

Slow the squat down on descend and Power up to Verticle .

One may have to drop present weight back to achive the above in Proper form but the results are far far better for Quad Growth and shape :D

TOM PLATZ himself Taught ME and LEEPRIEST this in GOLDS in Venice LA .

SQUATS FOR QUAD GROWTH and SHAPE :

Heals elevated apx 2 inches of Floor .

Motion . Toes staight ahead not splayed . Width just slightly narrower than shoulder width , Squat Kness over toes to Parelle no Further with Head looking up .

Slow the squat down on descend and Power up to Verticle .

One may have to drop present weight back to achive the above in Proper form but the results are far far better for Quad Growth and shape :D

not to disagree with you..coz your a pro and im not even close to one,but he is going a2g in this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca0RKSZJTs4

why do pro's always do this ,do something else on their videos and do something else in reality.

either way thanks for the advice,especially about the elevating heels part,i couldnt for the life of me squat below parralel without elevating my heels.