• to parallel
    • above parallel
    • 1/2 squats - gym rat style
    • all of the above

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all of them have their own aplication, depending on your training routine and goals.

I do my squats mostly ass to grass but definitly there is a place for doing squats to paralel and also partial squats.

I consider a full deep squat a different exercise to say a sqaut to parallel with different outcomes

I'd say judging by the poll results, some of the respondants are telling fibs.

Go to any gym at a busy time at look at squat depth, it varies from quarter to full, deep squats. All have there uses, altough I do tend to agree that 1/4 squats are pretty limited ulness you are specifically looking to bust a plateau which IMO most guys are not performing them to do!

Personally I try to hit parallel or just above on back squats, go deep on front squats and to 90 degrees on leg press, these range of motions are goal specific for me and feel most natural.

As my glutes and hammies tend to grow faster than my quads, I dont go ass to ground on back squats because I wish to limit the gluteal involvement or atleast down play it.

With front squats I really feel them hitting the vatus groups and rectus femoris so I go deeper and with leg press, if I go much below 90 degrees, my lumbar spine begins to round off the pad.

With power lifting it is crucial to achieve a certain depth to obtain a legal lift but with bodybuilding it is less imporatnt, especially if your flexibility is such that you cannot maintain a neutral spine through your ROM.

Even the pro's depth varies, Branch Warren goes below parallel, Gustavo above parallel, both have amazing wheels. On Ronnie Colemans video he appears to just hit paralle or just above and goes relatively shallow on his leg press, as does Flex Wheeler wheras guys like Kevin And Shawn goe a little deeper, all have or had great legs, so theres more than one way to skin a cat IMO.

If you don't go arse to the grass or at least below parallel, you're not doing a squat. You're doing a partial and not working all the muscles and internal bits you should be. So what's the point? I'd rather squat less weight properly than more weight like a clown.

Partial != full range of motion/good form. Isn't the essence of strength training and bodybuilding about doing full range of motion with good form?

It's like going fast in a straight line. Anyone can twist the throttle. But you find out who has teh skillz when you get to the twisty stuff.

Learn to squat properly and you won't get sore knees. And learn how to get past sticking points.

2cents.

good advice rose

ive always gone fairly deep but the last few weeks ive tried even deeper al the way down and with less weight and it feels better too.

its not about the weight as much sometimes obviously the heavier the better

but some guys say they can squat certain amounts and when you see them they dont even go parallel

to some guys squats are a ego exercize and think partials with so much weight is impressive

i admire people that have great form all the way down with lesser weight.

I have just started to vary my range from deep squats to just below parallel. I find with the deeper squats as the weight gets heavy I find the negative portion of the rep tends to gain a bit of momoentum where it almost feels like Im bouncing my glutes off the back of my knee/calf area as Im ascending. I do feel it good on the outer sweep but because of injury I started doing below parallel which I find I cant go as heavy but the blood pump is both amazing and sickening at the same time.

Although I feel there is no room for partial squats only because I feel my quads dont seem to activate much ubntil I get 90 degrees, only my thoughts :nod:

I've always been a 'parralleler' in all honesty... but I think I may start looking at adjusting a few sets, lighten the weight and try a deeper squat to get more stim and include the glutes more..

Interesting secondary question to Luigi's OP - would be interesting to know Squat Width, or feet placement people prefer for the varying depths..

I have always tried to Squat parallel. I do it with feet wide spread.

I have just done legs yesterday and i did ass to ground squats first time ofcourse with less than half of the weight i generally do. Also did high reps. My legs are killing me today :pfft: :pfft: :pfft:.

I just like to know how the foot, feet arrangements makes difference to which parts of the legs it has effects on.

If you don't go arse to the grass or at least below parallel, you're not doing a squat. You're doing a partial and not working all the muscles and internal bits you should be. So what's the point? I'd rather squat less weight properly than more weight like a clown.

quote]

Any one who cant see the obvious benfits of partial squats is a clown.

we had a thread about this titled something along the line or benefits of parital squats.

but just a quick summary... core strength.... targeting muscle groups... specific for sports... hormone stimulation just to name a few.

:D

Any one who cant see the obvious benfits of partial squats is a clown.

we had a thread about this titled something along the line or benefits of parital squats.

but just a quick summary... core strength.... targeting muscle groups... specific for sports... hormone stimulation just to name a few.

But I do see the benefits, getting past a sticking point is one example, thus my comment at the end of that post.

However, limiting yourself to partials (at the expense of never doing full squats, which lets face it is what a lot of people are guilty of), is, IMHO, lame.

I don't believe anywhere in my post did I say never do partials. I think I only stated the obvious. That partial squats are not really squats :haha:

:D

Edit: And to be honest, some of the benefits you've noted sound like sad excuses dreamt up by people who need justification for copping out of manning up and doing decent squats.

Go as deep as possible without losing your core stability or you are just asking from a back injury. This means don't up your weights until you are doing at very least below parallel squat with good technique, then up your weights.

Personally it is ass to the floor as much as possible and at worst when the weight is rite up well below parallel :grin:

i usually warm up , so first 4-5 sets, well below parallel then when i start going heavy i go to, or just below parallel, i find if i go deeper with heavy weight my glutes grow like crazy(something i dont need help with :oops: ) and get no added size on my legs.

to be honest, some of the benefits you've noted sound like sad excuses dreamt up by people who need justification for copping out of manning up and doing decent squats.

I agree....

i usually warm up , so first 4-5 sets, well below parallel then when i start going heavy i go to, or just below parallel, i find if i go deeper with heavy weight my glutes grow like crazy(something i dont need help with :oops: ) and get no added size on my legs.

and we all know who excuses are for...

the weak (Lugi)

:pfft:

Go as deep as possible without losing your core stability or you are just asking from a back injury. This means don't up your weights until you are doing at very least below parallel squat with good technique, then up your weights.

Personally it is ass to the floor as much as possible and at worst when the weight is rite up well below parallel :grin:

I think that WL has got this pretty bang on. ATG style is liable to cause lower lumber problems as it it very hard to set the hard arch in your lower back down on the floor although short legged individuals might be able to. Its generally regarded what's bad for the knees is squatting with a limited range of motion. Partial squats put ALL the emphasis on the quadriceps and knees, totally neglecting the hamstrings and glutes. Squats below parallel recruit the hammies, glutes & hip flexors & tensors taking the tension off the knee joint. This is a much stronger & safer option but can only be performed with weights that can be used in a full ROM & thus does not look so impressive to the "gym audience" :lol:

I think that WL has got this pretty bang on. ATG style is liable to cause lower lumber problems as it it very hard to set the hard arch in your lower back down on the floor although short legged individuals might be able to. Its generally regarded what's bad for the knees is squatting with a limited range of motion. Partial squats put ALL the emphasis on the quadriceps and knees, totally neglecting the hamstrings and glutes. Squats below parallel recruit the hammies, glutes & hip flexors & tensors taking the tension off the knee joint. This is a much stronger & safer option but can only be performed with weights that can be used in a full ROM & thus does not look so impressive to the "gym audience" :lol:

Is this your excuse for still only squating the bar? :clap:

Is this your excuse for still only squating the bar? :clap:

Haven't you noticed I can do the bar + 2 5kg plates now \:D/