Last minute journal...

waxmistress

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the posing tip- will try it tonight!

California press is lying on a bench with a barbell/ez bar or whatever and lowering bar to chin level keeping arms close to the body - essentially a tricep press thing.

My trainer is away this week so I won't have an update on the body fat % till next tues or so... :pray:

You mean a close grip bench press on an EZ bar?.. those are good, save your joints from damage .

Yeah, I have just started doing them with this programme (although I'm sure it'll change again very soon given how close the comp is getting!)

Yesterday was ok. Should have done more cardio though...

Military press - 4 x 8 @ 25kg - I can't seem to up my weight on this without not being able to finish the 4 sets of 8.

Iron Cross Squats - 2 x 25 @ 3kg - these kill my shoulders even if they look puny...

Lean away lateral raises - 3 x 12 @ 6kg - could maybe up these to 7

Reverse flyes - 3 x 10 @ 5 - could def raise these next time...

Helicopters (sometimes I think my trainer just makes this shit up to mock me) 4 x 10 @ 3, had to do the last few reps of each set at 2kg. pathetic.

Supine flying circles (see what I mean!) 4 x 12 @ 3kg

Crunches - just did a single set of as many of these as I could as I was running out of time.

30 mins on the new fangled crosstrainerystepperythings.

Eating was good, although I missed morning tea, which isn't good...

3 scoops protein powder plus kiwifruit for breakfast

4 egg whites and salad for lunch

3 scoops protein for afternoon tea

3 scoops R3 for post workout. I much prefer the taste of Chocolate Aussie bodies weight gainer for post workout, but the old trainer helped invent R3 and it's supposedly a 'better product'. Pity it tastes like crap...

Dinner was tofu, broccoli and salad (I miss meat).

More weight watchers jelly. Is there anything that I'm not aware of with the jelly thing that I should be (other than the artificial sweetner). Like I'm assuming that eating it won't affect my insulin levels as there's no sugar in it, but hopefully it's not affecting me in other ways... Let me know if I'm missing anything!

Helicopters (sometimes I think my trainer just makes this shit up to mock me)

:lol:

Yeah, I haven't heard of those or Iron Cross Squats or Supine flying circles! Although it sounds like you're getting lots of variation, which is good.

Dinner was tofu, broccoli and salad (I miss meat).

You said earlier you're only eating fish. Are you a vegetarian?

More weight watchers jelly. Is there anything that I'm not aware of with the jelly thing that I should be (other than the artificial sweetner). Like I'm assuming that eating it won't affect my insulin levels as there's no sugar in it, but hopefully it's not affecting me in other ways... Let me know if I'm missing anything!

I'm not sure about the jelly, although I have read about other competitors using it, see http://www.nzfbb.org.nz/Profiles/leanneGifford.htm

Yeah, I am kinda vegetarian. I eat what I feel like I could kill (or in the case of fish, what I have once killed in the past - you gotta eat something!) I had a traumatic (read: pathetic/stupid) episode in January involving some live crayfish and the end of their lives. I haven't eaten meat since. Didn't help that I dive and had seen the little critters in their natural environment, I think I had a tenuous grip on meat eating anyway, but that pushed me over the edge. Still miss it sometimes though, especially at times like this, when it might actually add some taste to a meal! haha.

Anyway. I'm a geek, that's fine.

Good news that someone else is into the whole jelly thing. I am going to try and limit my intake, but it's so yummy!

Thanks for that - interesting read. I will have to try nutmeat and casserole mince although might have to wait until after the comp depending on how many carbs are in them...

I must admit I'm not very strict - my main problem is chewing flesh - and jelly must be the worst thing in the world for gelatin! :oops: I don't ask too many questions - ie if I think something might be made in chicken stock I don't ask. Ostrich syndrome. In fact, I was the biggest meat-eater in the world until I couldn't kill something...

That's what butchers are for! :grin:

Haha, I know, it's pretty dumb. :oops:

Anyways, nothing to report fom yesterday - I had a rest day, and actually rested. No weights, no cardio. Back into it today though....

I have been really really tired this week. Last week I had heaps of energy and stuff, but have hit the wall a bit this week. Can't really face raising my heart rate at all! Still, not long to go now, so I might as well quit moaning and get off my arse!!

Yeah, I am kinda vegetarian. I eat what I feel like I could kill (or in the case of fish, what I have once killed in the past - you gotta eat something!) I had a traumatic (read: pathetic/stupid) episode in January involving some live crayfish and the end of their lives. I haven't eaten meat since. Didn't help that I dive and had seen the little critters in their natural environment, I think I had a tenuous grip on meat eating anyway, but that pushed me over the edge. Still miss it sometimes though, especially at times like this, when it might actually add some taste to a meal! haha.

Anyway. I'm a geek, that's fine.

Good news that someone else is into the whole jelly thing. I am going to try and limit my intake, but it's so yummy!

Nice to meet another diver on here :), theres a few of us freaks on board now. Im curious about the crayfish tale. Please share it with us :grin:

You're gonna think I'm a real loser, but we got given some live crays (which I was distressed about to begin with - I liked my meat to bear no resemblance to the animal it used to be, let alone still be moving!) and I felt terrible, but I've heard that once they're out of the water they're blind because of the increased UV, so couldn't even put them back somewhere. So they were butchered (we also heard that the most humane way to kill them for a quick eat was to put a knife through their carapace), but i had a little girly meltdown and couldn't do it/help/watch and then haven't wanted to eat meat since.

Just dumb really!

Anyways, yesterday I got back into the cardio - had a 47ish minute run with the girls and ran around 8km. I'm not much of a runner, so that's a bit of an achievement. Then did an hours walk in the evening.

food was ok (apart from the anzac cookie I had with my morning coffee :oops:

Protein + kiwifruit

more protein

Run

Salad and squid

more protein

Walk

Salad, asparagus, broccoli and fish for dinner

ww jelly :pfft:

Still feeling really lethargic, maybe because I have come off the thermos for a week, but wouldn't have expected this much of an effect...

:pfft:

I'd say the reason you're feeling lethargic is because you aren't having any complex carbs (apart from that Anzac!) to keep your energy up. Did you find out if you were going to be cycling your carbs? I think if you were able to occasionally have some carbs you'd be less likely to have cravings for sweet things and also have more energy.

Hmm, the trainer is away this week, but I am definitely going to find out about it. I'm not much of an expert on carb cycling, but I think it's probably worth a go. I had my last 'bad' weekend 2 weeks ago and I felt great for two weeks after. I had some bread at lunch, a few carbs at dinner (pumpkin cannelloni or something) and a small piece of citron tart (I went to a company ball) and can't remember what I had on Sunday, but it wasn't in the plan! I had kinda decided to put the competition on hold until next year, but I got so much motivation and was feeling so good after that weekend that I just decided to go for it and see how I go. But anyway, I see it as a bit of a positive for eating a few carbs now and then!

Doesn't help that the boy is making me get up early to drive him to work and then waking me up when he comes home at night :x Mind you, today I went and did a leg workout and some cardio before coming to work.

But, if you guys could give me an idea of what sort of carb cycling you'd do in the lead up to a comp I might get a bit more of an idea how it works, and would other people are doing?

Ta :D

I haven't tried a carb-cycling diet yet but I probably will in the future as the last low-carb diet I was on made me feel like crap (I was only working part time and if I wasn't working, training or eating I'd be sleeping as I had no energy).

There's some info about carb cycling here

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par30.htm

and some other ideas here

http://www.leeapperson.com/figure/dieting.html

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info - I discovered the bodybuilding.com website the other day, but hadn't seen the carb cycling info. Just wading my way through it now. I have brought it up with the trainer and he's going to see where we are on tues before he decides anything. He said we're basically trying to elicit pure fat loss at the moment and that carb cycling would depend on condition and time left to comp... Seeing as I have neither of those things I might be out of luck, but he thinks it may help depending on what my bf is... I did some posing practise yesterday and it seems to me like everything is more visible (I could almost see abs this morning too). I need to do some more running I think to reduce my leg size a bit. If I'm feeling good next week I'll post some more pics.

Tried to order a bikini last night, but they didn't take amex and I hadn't quite decided on colour/adornment yet. Any votes on material/colour/adornment? I can't decide....

Yesterday was good - diet was the same as usual, except I had tofu and salad for lunch and salad and egg whites for afternoon tea (instead of yet another protein shake, which was great!) Had carrot salad w. prawns for dinner.

Did a leg workout at the gym yesterday morning:

~Lying hamstring curls - 4 x 8 @ 120lb (I wasn't sure last time when I wrote it down so left the units out - only about 55kg) but it's an increase and it felt pretty good.

~Back squats - 4 x 10 @ 50 - need to up this but I couldn't find small enough plates - didn't want to add too much without someone to help me!

~Swiss ball leg curls 3 x 12

~Hip pushes 3 x 10 (these really burn after the other leg stuff)

~Swiss ball crunches

Then sat on an exercycle for 25 mins.

In the evening I sat on the bike for an hour and did some posing practice. I think things are moving along, but the proof is in the % (as the saying goes)!

Have done 30 mins cycling already this morning. I'm feeling a bit better today - adjusting to the early mornings a bit more. :nod:

Thanks for the info - I discovered the bodybuilding.com website the other day, but hadn't seen the carb cycling info. Just wading my way through it now. :

Yeah, sorry about that. It's a bit dense, isn't it! Think the second link is a bit more straightforward (though it seems to have a slightly different method for carb cycling).

Tried to order a bikini last night, but they didn't take amex and I hadn't quite decided on colour/adornment yet. Any votes on material/colour/adornment? I can't decide....:

No luck with getting the one you originally wanted?

Your leg curls are strong. Be interested to see what your legs look like.

Sounds like you're getting into the swing of things with your cardio and posing practice.

Keep it up!

I think for my first comp the one from the US is just going to be too expensive. A second hand bikini is between USD 274 and 400 plus about USD 95 for courier and bank fees their side (compared with NZD140 to get one from bodybuildingbikinis.com). :cry: I can't really justify that at this stage especially if there's a possibility I won't be lean enough to compete! If I do another comp next year I might save up for one.

I think my legs will look ok once they're a bit leaner. I seem to have strong legs, I guess thanks to all the compound lifting/power lifting that the trainer has had me doing over the last year (he's a power lifter). However I need to get them a bit more ripped. Maybe some leg extensions would be good for the fronts. Any ideas on getting legs cut? There's plenty of muscle in there!

I'm seeing the trainer and posing instructor next week, so I'll see what they both say and keep y'all informed.

I think for my first comp the one from the US is just going to be too expensive. A second hand bikini is between USD 274 and 400 plus about USD 95 for courier and bank fees their side (compared with NZD140 to get one from bodybuildingbikinis.com). :cry: I can't really justify that at this stage especially if there's a possibility I won't be lean enough to compete! If I do another comp next year I might save up for one.

I think my legs will look ok once they're a bit leaner. I seem to have strong legs, I guess thanks to all the compound lifting/power lifting that the trainer has had me doing over the last year (he's a power lifter). However I need to get them a bit more ripped. Maybe some leg extensions would be good for the fronts. Any ideas on getting legs cut? There's plenty of muscle in there!

I'm seeing the trainer and posing instructor next week, so I'll see what they both say and keep y'all informed.

400$???!!!! what a scam!!!!!!

keep up all the work your doing you will get ther in the end