Workout Journal

brock_solid

Heres the link to SLDL's

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html

This is the link to the the main directory so you can look up any other lifts you arent familiar with.

http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

As for not having any soreness, it may still be on its way, i often dont feel it untill two days after. I worked chest / tris yesterday, dont feel anything today, but tommorow i will have severe DOMS, if i just touch them they will be sore.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what you guys think, but when I was doing higher volume training I made sure I always started with a compund exercise that worked my stabilisers too. Then after I failed on that I would switch to an exercise where the range of motion was more fixed. For example, shoulder days I would go DB press, then Military press on the smith or something. This way I was still hitting the target muscle hard when the stabilisers might have been too taxed.

Tomorrow will be my cardio day which will consist of running 2.4kms at the gym and then working perhaps triceps and traps then going to the swimming pool and swimming for say 45 minutes. I haven't worked any muscles for over a week because of my meningitis injection.

What is a good ab workout? usually everyday i do like 60 sit ups maybe twice a day everyday just when im watching tv and when im at the gym i use the swiss balls and do a set of 60 maybe once or twice when i'm there.

What else should i do? tips?

I may not be the best person to talk about abs. I don't often work them, since for me they grow almost without trying... :oops:

However, when I DO work them, I train them just like every other body part - heavy weight, 6-12reps. One exercise I find really good is cable crunches. Get a cable machine, like you'd use for tricep pushdowns, kneel in front of it, and crunch away! Use a weight where you fail on 10-12 reps.

http://www.ast-ss.com/training/exercise ... bp=Ab&pn=9

Alright i will try to incorporate those cable crunches tomorrow.

Anway, so i have 2 weeks to be able to run 2.4kms in 10.15 seconds for the army, army tests it's usually 12.30 seconds but my trade requires extra fitness so last week i ran 2.4kms in 12.05 seconds so i should be able to do it considering thats the first time i've ran in over a year.

I've thought up the perfect setup which will both give me gains of muscle mass and cardio without mixing the two.

So for the next two weeks i will be going to the gym at between 12.30 - 1.30 during the day time to work on muscle building like triceps,chest,arms etc without cardio and it helps because the gym is almost deserted at this time which means no waiting for equipment.

Then at around 6 - 7 pm i will return to the gym and run on the treadmill for 2 .4ks and marking times, and i figure this will work very well because usually when i'm working on my body i'm too tired to do any cardio or when i do cardio i'm usually too tired to do my workout so i'm seperating them both.

Any thoughts?

Also on wednesdays i will be going to the swimming pools once a week as i have to be complete a Swimming certificate on competency for the New Zealand Police in a few months time to be accepted for training....wish me luck (i'm 17 btw, young wannabe policeman!!@)

That looks like a good plan, IMO. Just make sure you have plenty of good food to eat in between.

I'd also alternate between running on the treadmill, and running on the road. You could find they're very different, I think... But I don't really know - I don't do this running thing.

I'd also alternate between running on the treadmill, and running on the road. You could find they're very different, I think... But I don't really know - I don't do this running thing.

I hate running om the treadmill in comparison to the road. The road gives you more of a direct feel. Also i would say if the test is on road then training on the road should be where you spend most of your time.

Yeah i dislike running on the road for some reason....i always try to remind myself to switch on the KM meter when i go out for a cruise but i always forget, anyway off to the gym a little while after i've had lunch. Triceps time :P

you probably enjoy the treadmill more because the treadmill is easier :D

road is killer.. at least i think so..

I started running on a treadmill, I got to the stage where I was running good distance in good time. Then I went out for a couple of road runs and it was like I'd never run in my life. Completely different IMO. I don't think it matters how fast/far you can run on a treadmill, the road is always going to be harder coz you have to propel yourself instead of just lifting your legs and the belt moving underneath you...

Probably will be doing back tomorrow if i feel up to it.

Anyone recommend a good back workout? i worked back earlier this week but just workouts that involved back thinkness like the seated pull thing and this thing you lie on and pull up and this thing you pull backwards thing.

Sorry dunno the names lol

Please recommend a back workout that will make my back wider...you know those things under your armpits that can get real big. Cheers.

For Increasing Bad Width:

wide grip Chinups... theyll make you do em in the army !

wide grip lat pull downs.

wide grip rack chins.

narrow grip lat pull downs... use the v-bar from the cable row machine.. it targets the lat part unnder your armpits.

For thickness:

stuff the machines mate, stick to free weights :

bent over barbell rows

1 Arm dumbell rows

Incline bench db rows

T bar Rows

for overall back workout:

deadlifts,

rack deadlifts.

Thats once you can bang out 4 sets of 8 reps with no weight and good form right... god how i wish id see that day sooner for me !

I couldnt before i started doing weighted ones. Ive said this a million time. I used to be able to do about 6 reps, only BW. So i strapped a weight to myself, just 10 kilos, and i could do the same reps, a few weeks later i was doing 6 reps with 20 kilos.

Just try it! Youll be surprised, it feels heaps better, like theres some actual resistance to pull against.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have a problem gaining weight this week.

I'm not sure, i've gone from 84kgs on the 20th of August this year to 102kgs, so two months time.

But i've been 100 - 102kgs all week long!! Usually i would be expecting to atleast be 104 - 105 by the end of the week.

I assume it's because i just started back at work two days ago and i take lunch which consisted of a can of Tuna, 8 slices of bread with cheese and then another 8 slices of wheatmeal bread to eat and 1 cup cooked brown rice with brocoli and one protein shake in the morning along with 6 eggs, 1 cup oatmeal and 4 apples. As you can see, that's not alot of food.

It's been 3 days at the gym and i haven't gained anymore weight. Well i've got the weekend so hopefully i would have reached 105kgs over the weekend.

I would take pics if i had a digital camera but i don't unfortunetely.

Most of it, the fat seems to have pumped into my legs which is a good thing cause i keep getting leg compliments. Anyway off to the gym now, i've been to the gym everyday for the last 6 days in a row, doing one muscle at a time.

Well everyday is abs day at the end of each session, going to the gym for half an hour to just do abs today.

Better get there now, gym closes at 12:30, when is the best time to work abs? before i eat? after i eat? 20 minutes before i eat? 20 minutes after? let me know kthnx

I would take pics if i had a digital camera but i don't unfortunetely.

Most of it, the fat seems to have pumped into my legs which is a good thing cause i keep getting leg compliments. Anyway off to the gym now, i've been to the gym everyday for the last 6 days in a row, doing one muscle at a time.

Well everyday is abs day at the end of each session, going to the gym for half an hour to just do abs today.

Better get there now, gym closes at 12:30, when is the best time to work abs? before i eat? after i eat? 20 minutes before i eat? 20 minutes after? let me know kthnx

abs every day is overkill. so is going to the gym 6 days in a row