Workout Journal

brock_solid

Now i used to go to the gym frequently from around March last year until around october of last year, i was a gym freak at the time and everything used to evolve around gym/school until i got to a good muscular physique and summer came around and one day i was doing incline dumbell flys and wrenched my arm backwards dropping the weights and fucking my arm up and took weeks to heal then when i got back to going to the gym i soon found myself just going to the gym for 10 minutes and pumping my arms up then leaving and going to the beach until i finally just stopped going.

For this whole year i had only been eating like two minute noodles and junk and doing party pills and getting pissed haha well thats not cool but i felt shit about myself until about 2 months ago i was wondering why i felt that way then i got down and did 50 push ups then knew what i had been missing out on, the pump and workout i realised i had to get back to the gym and get into a good lifestyle.

I've noticed the changes already with smooth skin, warmer body (i used to get so cold all the time) fitter and bigger with healthier foods and my clothes look mint again when i'm wearing them, anyway enough of the heart to heart emotional shit onto my journal!

I was one of those, i want teh big chest and big arms, legs are for girls!! and the more i worked out the bigger i would get but now i'm older i now realise i was completely wrong that less is more and more is less.

Oh yea, when i started training last year i was 16 and 6"1 weighing 79kgs and being rather lanky then after the 6 - 8 months i had training i weighed a solid 87kgs so i put on 8kgs of muscle and i was at school with no job so i only got protein shakes when mum did the shopping and i wasn't eating heaps.

Now that i'm back in the gym i'm 17 almost 18 and weigh a solid 88 - 89kgs so all i want is to get bigger and bigger so i'll start you off with some of last years workout routine that i found in one of my drawers i had written down.

WORKOUT 1

CHEST

Peck deck 3 X 12

Bench press warm up 1 X 20

Bench press 3 X 8

Cable crossover 3 X 12

Incline bench press warm up 1 X 20

Incline bench press 3 X 12

Decline bench press warm up 1 X 20

Decline bench press 3 X 12

TRICEPS

Press down 3 X 12

Dumbbell kickback 3 X 12

Reverse Grip pulldown 3 x 12

Rope pressdown 3 x 12

BACK

Seated bacle row 3 x 12

Reverse grip lateral pull down 3 x 12

Wide grip lateral pull down 3 x 12

ABS

Weight machine 3 x 15

Leg raises 3 x 15

Abs machine 3 x 15

Crossover crunch

WORKOUT 2

BICEPS

Modified preacher curls 3 x 12

Incline dumbbell curls 3 x 12

Concentration curls 3 x 12

SHOULDERS

Side shoulder raises 3 x 12

Seated rear shoulder raises 3 x 12

Cable pulley 3 x 12

Rear lateral raises 3 x 12

This is pretty much it but i would never stick to it and just drift around equipment and the workout 1 would be done on like monday, wednesday and saturday and workout 2 would be done tuesday thursday and sunday so i was in there 6 days a week for like an hour or more at the gym which now i know is too much.I got pretty strong on my benching though, started at 40kgs which was relatively easy then managed 110kgs for one rep and usually 90kgs for 3 - 5 reps and now a year later last week i managed 80kgs for 6 reps on bench press so i can still handle a fair bit more than i thought i would.

Now that i am back i will give you the main journal of what i do now, i go mondays, tuesdays, wednesdays are day off and then i will either go on thursday or friday not both i will pick one of the days then i will go on saturday so 4 days a week seems like enough.

Mondays

CHEST

Decline bench press 3 x 14,12,10 of 70kgs

Incline bench press 2 x 14 of 40kgs

TRICEPS

Cable pressdowns 4 x 14

Rope pressdowns 4 x 14,12,10,8 (each set i put more weight on)

Then i encorepate my workout with a 1.2km run since i'm training for the army and going to the army in January so each workout i run one KM and then i go over and do like 60 sit ups then 60 swiss ball sit ups then leave

TUESDAY

BICEPS

AZ bar standing curls 4 x 12 of 15 - 20kgs

AZ seated preacher curls 3 x 12, 10 8

Dumbbell preacher curls 3 x 12

TRAPS

Dumbell shrugs 3 x 10 of 35kgs

Barbell pull ups (name?) 3 x 12

Barbell shrugs 3 x 12

WEDNESDAY DAY OFF

THURSDAY

(I've only just started to incorperate this into my weekly routine, usually i would do mondays and tuesdays muscles in seperate days so i would be working one muscle part once a week) It's the routine Varven

quads/halmstrings

squats 4x 6-8

seated leg presses 3x 6-8

front squats 3x 6-8

Lying leg curl 4x6-8 (alternate this excercise with stiff legged deadlifts, dont perform stiff legged deadlifts and full deadlifts on same week. when you perform full deads, use machine excercises. When you perform rack deads, perform Stiff legged deads on same week).

Any other halmstring machine 4x 6-8

FRIDAY DAY OFF

SATURDAY

Also tips from Varven

back and biceps

deadlift 4x 6-8 (alternate this excericse with rack deadlifts. This is related to leg day. For example this week if you perform full deadlifts on back day, then DONT perform stiff legged deadlifts on leg day as it will overtax your lower back)

lat pull downs / weighted pullups - 4x 6-8

bent over bb rows 4x 6-8

standing bicep curls 3x 6-8

seated db curls 3x 6-8

Although after finishing these, i noticed it added to the thickness of my back rather than widening which i could use some tips on so i might alternate with a few other excercises for widening.

For a few months i'm just goint to concentrate on my weak points rather than my strong points which my weak points would be back and legs and my strong points being chest and triceps so weak points come first so most need a bit of help on back/legs. cheers!!

My diet would was consisting of this

Wake up 6:30am

Big bowl of oatmeal with one egg in it + Apple

7:30am

2 x Mint flavour bluebirds snack bar + 3 apples and banana

I usually eat most of my lunch before i get to work lol

10:30am

Mince and cheese pie

12:00pm

Can of tuna in granery brown bread with sliced cheese and mayonaise

2:00pm

Another pie

4:45pm

Go home and have a feed of cornflakes or 3 packets of 2 minute noodles or something

6:00pm

Whatever mum makes for tea

9:00pm

Another bowl of oatmeal or 5 egg whites and cheese and an apple or something then i hit the sack

I will keep updating.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its good to see you have started a journal. Its also go to see you fessing up on your bad bodybuilding habits, poor diet, poor routine etc. For the age you are at now you should be looking to maximise both of these areas as you will get awesome gains if you get them right.

Good to see youve ditched your old workout regime, i would think from what you said that your new approach still isnt spot on but its getting there, no doubt youll be able to tweak it along the way.

As for the diet, yeah its fairly poor, you need more protein like the others have suggested. If you planned out your food the day before then youd be sweet. I would say looking at that list that the food your mum makes for tea will probabley be the best meal of the lot :grin:

On the plus side at least eating fairly regularly, even if its pies, its better than nothing.

Keep updating your journal and im sure youll be packing on the weight in no time, if you have any questions just ask away, if you want someone to help you write up a starter diet then there are more than enough educated members on this board, someone will help you out.

Heres a diet that worked wonders for me :

meal 1

3 whole eggs.

3 egg whites

4 toast

1 banana

glass of milk

multivitamin

meal 2

500G of chicken before cooked, I usually grill it. Eat with Rice or pasta

Meal 3

185g can of Tuna with Pasta or Rice and Greens

Protein shake + roast potatoes/kumara or even a banana for carbs.

Workout

Protein Shake

Peanut butter Sandwich

Meal 4

A HUGE load of Meat/poultry/seafood with carbs

Meal 5

Cottage Cheese or protein shake.

Use Flax seed oil, about a tablespoon or 2 a day.

Drink at least 4 - 6 ltrs of water a day.

Sleep enough.... I found you need that to keep you alive when you have heavy workouts ;)

My diet would was consisting of this

Wake up 6:30am

Big bowl of oatmeal with one egg in it + Apple

7:30am

2 x Mint flavour bluebirds snack bar + 3 apples and banana

I usually eat most of my lunch before i get to work lol

10:30am

Mince and cheese pie

12:00pm

Can of tuna in granery brown bread with sliced cheese and mayonaise

2:00pm

Another pie

4:45pm

Go home and have a feed of cornflakes or 3 packets of 2 minute noodles or something

6:00pm

Whatever mum makes for tea

9:00pm

Another bowl of oatmeal or 5 egg whites and cheese and an apple or something then i hit the sack

Hey brock_solid. Following is a meal plan for you. Some of the guys will probably think there's still not enough protein in it, but it might be a good transition for you from your old diet (and it uses mostly normal food you can get from a supermarket or dairy).

Breakfast

1 piece of fruit

2 cups cereal (eg puffed wheat, weetbix) with reduced fat milk

2 slices toast (no butter) with spread (eg honey)

1 glass fruit juice

Maybe add some yoghurt, eggs or baked beans to this meal if you want more protein.

Morning Tea

1 sandwich (no butter) with lean meat filling

1 piece of fruit

1 low fat yoghurt

Lunch

three salad sandwiches or rolls filled with any of the following: lean meat, chicken, reduced fat cheese, egg, canned tuna in spring water or canned salmon

2 pieces of fruit

600ml reduced fat flavoured milk

Afternoon Tea

Fruit smoothie or a liquid meal (eg Sustagen)

After Training

sports/electrolyte drink (High GI for recovery) or your cornflakes (also high GI)

Dinner

Whatever mum makes for tea, but something along the following lines would be good:

large serving of lean meat, skinless chicken or fish, grilled or cooked with minimum oil

large serving of rice, pasta or potato

medium serving of vegetables or salad (no-oil dressing)

Supper

2 pieces fresh fruit in a smoothie or fruit and yoghurt

Hope you find this useful.

Char K, call me over critical but if he desperately wants to gain weight , he's gotta be injesting more protein than that Id say. I like your diet but would chuck in a can of Tuna, at least 6 eggs and some meat so protein content is spiked by about another 100g. Oh and a couple of protein shakes to push it through to another 50g of protein.

Brock, you gotta eat BIG , CLEAN meals.

emphasis here on BIG, CLEAN and OFTEN.

ok maybe i shouldn't of put my diet in because i hate eating and eating all that shit is to much for me i have to work up to it and not waste all my mums food, theres always heaps of food in the cupboard and fridge but hardly any of it usefull.

Char_ks one sounds alright i might give most of those foods a go but i dont want this thread to turn into a food thread i know that i need to eat heaps of shit but im not going to make myself feel sick to get it down.

I want this thread to help me with leg/back in gym exercises, thanks.

First workout is rediculous.

Second workout, I think there're far too many isolation sets that are not needed and very possibly far too much overall volume. Exercise choice isn't great either.

You're training legs one day a week, your upper body on the other three.

It looks like you're just generating more fatigue than tension, which in a way is possibly a good thing considering you're training for Army. I think muscular endurance would be quite useful but my comments on volume still stand.

I won't bash your diet, because others did it for me. :grin:

Protein - 1 - 1.5g/lb of bodyweight. (If you have slow metabolism stay on the lower end/likewise if you have a faster metabolism stay on the upper end.)

Fat - Set it to about 20-25% of total calorie intake. EFA's.

Carbohydrates - The rest. Lower GI dominating, High GI after workout.

Track your progress. Record weight on a certain day when you're CHO/water depleted, something like Sunday morning. Record bodyfat if possible. Take pictures.

First workout is rediculous.

Second workout, I think there're far too many isolation sets that are not needed and very possibly far too much overall volume. Exercise choice isn't great either.

You're training legs one day a week, your upper body on the other three.

It looks like you're just generating more fatigue than tension, which in a way is possibly a good thing considering you're training for Army. I think muscular endurance would be quite useful but my comments on volume still stand.

What would you recommend for the second workout? as i have now realised i want to encorporate even more time to work on my wearknesses, so i would like to have two leg days a week and two back days and other parts can be done slightly maybe on leg days aswell i dont know but i would like two days a week for both leg and two for back to help me get back on track.

I sort of keep having second thoughts about the army because i will run and eat very little and thus loosing alot of weight which i dont want i want to bulk up and be real big not skinny and ripped but i probably will go to the army anyway, tomorrow is my medical test and recruitment interview so wish me luck :D

So today i worked on my legs and i did.

Squats 2 x 8 of 60kgs then 70kgs

Hack squats 3 x 8 of 60kgs

Leg Press 3 x 8 of 40kgs, 80kgs then 120kgs

Leg extension 3 x 8

Squats 2 x 8 of 60kg

Is this a good leg workout?

not bad i would drop the last 2 things and do 2 hammie ex's

Good too see you getting in there with the leg workouts, You might have wanted to throw in some hamstring work, maybe sldl.

Perhaps an improved w/o might be

squats

hacks

legpress

sldl

In that order, i dont really see the point of doing squats again at the end, you should be buggered by then. Good too see your giving your legs a reason to grow though.

Brock if you wanna get gorilla big and strong first, its all about food. Workouts are relatively easy. Anyone witha a bit of dedication can get the work done, nailing the diets the big one, as it will give you most rewards. Also, working your legs and back twice a week will NOT mean more or better gains. If you give one leg work out all that youve got , it will often take upto 3 days to walk normally, and then another day or two to stretch the soreness away. Thus you often need upto 7 days rest. This is the case with me at least, and I should think Jono as well as growth and a few others on high volume training.

Good too see you getting in there with the leg workouts, You might have wanted to throw in some hamstring work, maybe sldl.

Perhaps an improved w/o might be

squats

hacks

legpress

sldl

In that order, i dont really see the point of doing squats again at the end, you should be buggered by then. Good too see your giving your legs a reason to grow though.

Well my legs weren't that sore today for some reason i tried but ive felt my legs feel like jelly and today they were weren't like that.....i almost fell over though when i was walking out of the gym cause i couldn't walk properly afterwards so tahts good.

What are sldl?