waste of money????!!!!

1day

I figure bodybuilding costs me an additional $600-$700 per month with extra food, supps, gym fees and new clothes :wink:

My mates spend this amount in booze, fags and maccas every month instead,

They piss it up against the wall, I wake up and piss excellence, who's the crazier one here??????

Well, there certainly are other expensive sports out there!! I never add up what I spend on any of my sports/hobbies - it ony acts as a deterrent! The only person I deprive of anything of course is me & the poines!

However -

Estimate on last 2 seasons competing (BB) - approx $3000 over 5 months (probably conservative)

Horses on the other hand:

Grazing $35 per week (x2)

Feed apprx $70 per month

Horse truck - COF, registration, maintenence, deseil miles....

Event entry $45 - 50 (x2)

Covers, gear....$300-400 a year on replacing damaged/lost items

Shoeing $100 every 6 weeks (x2)

Lessons/coaching - $75 a pop

In other words - a licence to burn cash!!

well was bored last night and so i was forced to think for once, and the thing that came to me was $$$$$$. im pretty sure i am down at the cheaper end of bodybuiding(as far as trying to limit supps to a 'must' ,more than a 'should' use ) so i dont take to much coin away from family. and so i worked out that i spend $60 on supps p/wk and $15 p/wk on gym membership, now correct me if im wrong ,but that works out $75 a week spent on me, that means thats $3,900 a yr(so rounded $4,000). now for that $4,000 a yr what am i really getting out of this sport??

the negitives

-pain (as the mrs says, 'dnt come moaning to me wen u sore , u do it to urself') :shifty:

-loose time (an hr or more a day)

-eat boring food that really arnt honestly your favorite foods

and the positives

-becoming stronger (helps in everyday life and cool to show off :wink: )

-staying healthy (eating the right foods to help u get threw the day with more energy etc)

-slooowly looking better ,trying to achieve that body that uve always wanted, (but more so to please urself as most others couldnt care less what u looked like)

Thank you, this made me really laugh!

It is all so true and your wife sounds just like mine with the line about being sore. I do wish just once she would give me some sympathy though, just cos it's self inflicted doesn't mean it hurts any less, right?! hahaha

This sport can be a little expensive, but like someone else pointed out, the benefits can be unmeasurable! Has anyone else noticed that there's not too many successful body builders who aren't successful people in general. To be good at this sport you have to learn / develop some valuable skills that carry through to alot of other important aspects of life. Those who are good will know what skills I mean without pointing them out and i reakon those who are struggling with an aspect of bb will also recognise it's due to being weak in one area that I am willing to bet they are also weak in that aspect with life.

ie, if you can't make yourself go to the gym when it's too cold, you probably don't have the commitment either to push yourself through a bad day at work. or if you can't organise your 6 meals for the day you probably need to develop your organisation skills. probably bad examples but ya know what i mean.

well if youre concerned about the environment then bodybuilding isnt conducive to conservation.. i.e consuming more resources. Im not proud of the fact that I eat tuna when some tuna species are endangered.

but then that applies to all sports, I think the Zen Buhddists for example focus on conserving energy not expending it.

you could use the excuse of "well everyone over consumes" but its down to the individuals own responsibility at the end of the day.

oh well im guilty as sin.. aint given up bodybuilding tho!

• 2 weeks later...
A lot of posts here refer to being aware of the cost of eating 6 meals a day and trying to do it as chaep as possible...

Any examples of a budget 6 meal a day diet?

One fortnight last year I had a budget blowout so I tried substituting mince in order to make the funds last til next pay.

It was good mince but I fucking hated mince before that and I fucking hate it even more now, heh :pale: :puke:

Scuse the french, ooops :shock:

I think childood trauma was clouding my opinion, you know, force fed it too many times etc :pfft:

I gave it a good run. Really nice burger patties, 1001 ways with mince etc.

But I ended up borrowing $20 off a colleague the day before payday and buying some eye fillet cos I just couldn't look at the mince anymore, heh :shifty: