Optimass

Optimass

... Consistancy ....

The last few weeks demands on work and balancing family have been my biggest challenge. It's all about planning and banking the time well ahead, so this is my plan this week.

Last weeks session were done mainly in the high rep ranges for me to give a little break from the heavy. This week is a base strength week and I will be looking to build intensity through the next 3.

Moderate weight - so looking for failure on last rep/sets at about 8 to 10 reps.

Mon (today) - Chest / Bicep ...

Tuesday - Legs

Wednesday - rest

Thursday - Shoulders Tricep (this is the workout that has eluded me over the last few weeks - My shoulders and triceps grow pretty easy and are not a lagging b/part but I should be aimimng to hit it at least on alternate weeks - with the bulk of my routines being compunds I am easily maintaining these areas.

Friday - Back

Saturday - light Legs / Resistance Cardio

Sunday - rest

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chest + Biceps (45 minutes)

Flat D/b Press 4 sets last set failure @ 12 reps 50kgs

Incline D/b Press 2 sets last set failure @ 8 reps 50kgs

Dips (Legs Tucked) - sets 12 reps each

D/b Pec Flyes - 4 sets last set failure @ 8 reps 30kgs

D/b Pullover superset with D/b Bicep curl / 2 sets .... 12 easy reps @ 30kg + 12 easy reps @ 20kg (strict form - maximum range of motion)

END

Food today

Oatmeal + Yogurt + Whey Protein

1/2 Chicken (skinned) / 2 x kiwi fruit

Shake in milk post training ....

Wendys Chicken Burger combo 45 min later

Chicken Tika + Rice

Shake to finish later tonight.

END

Chest feels good tonight - have taken to sleeping in my thermals the last two nights which is definately reducing DOMS over the last few weeks. My elbows had been aching but have since eased as a result.

Weight has changed from last week, which is surprising as I haven't tappered yet :) 116.2kg :nod:

You dont eat much for your weight... Are you holding a lot of water? I eat nearly double what you do, maybe my metabolism is fucked?

Don't think I'm holding that much water than normal - still quite vasular arms - shoulders - and legs / particularly after training.

My body fat is high at the moment though - estimate around 16% which is good as it buffers my shoulder joints and allows me to train heavy. Start to feel them just as I hit 12% as a rule.

My wet rate is quite slow - and I don't want to go over 118 max - as my %s will blow out.

well ... skipped a day but caught legs tonight.

Will be hitting off shoulders tomorrow morning before work.

Legs was a bit distraccted as I stood up from under the leg press retreiving the safety bolts that a significantly shorter, almost pro female athlete had dropped under the main bar. Resulted in a small lump on the back of my head that has been throbbing for the last few hours.

Workout was right on 50 minutes :clap: ..... perfect timing :nod:

Took it easy tonight on squats - focused on getting the full eccentric phase - went all the way which was my goal. (Focus on technique)

Squats - 6 sets > last set drop set 4 reps at 180kg + 6 reps at 140kg.

Leg press - 3 sets > last set 8 reps at 420kg. (All the way down :nod: )

Leg curl concentration 3 sets > last set about 110lbs i think. Could have gone heavier but my head was in pain :evil:

Calf raises standing > 3 sets last set 12 reps @ full stack with 20 pulses at peak contraction.

Decline situps - 2 sets max reps.

END

Appetite is still going strong .......

oatmeal - yogurt 300g approx + 2 kiwi fruit and Protein serve

2 wraps (350g Cottage cheese / 200g Tuna /tomato / Avocado)

(Sleep for 2 hours :pfft: )

Shake with a banana

4x Tasty choc/nut muesli bars (3.5 actually as my 2 year old daughter insisted I had to share)

Training + Shake n Bake

350g Beef + 2 med potatoes + 1/4 Pumpkin

END

Left knee a bit tight after workout but should come right by tomorrow - will look to do a Lunge session on Saturday with a resistance track on a spin bike for 20 minutes to finish my legs.

Looking forward to shoulders tomorrow inspite of tightness in my left rotator. Looking forward to sleep tonight as work is of the hook at the moment. (2am finsh this morning!)

I remember when I got my first job in a gym ... used to work in the morning when the gym openned until 10.30am go home have a meal sleep for 2 -3 hours and then eat again then train an hour later ..... I miss the mid day nap !!! :(

Shoulders and Triceps today ....

My arms grow pretty quick so I tend to pay more attention to the majors as I have already stated before - compund movements give your arms a good train when done heavy and controlled.

Warmed up my shoulders doing some front and side raise 15 reps @ 5kg / supre setted ..... 4 sets with about 30 seonds rest between ech double.

Hammer strength Shoulder press: 4 sets Final set 10 reps @ 50kg

Upright row high rep sets / 20 reps at 20kg x 3 sets

Bent over lat raise D/b 4 sets final set 12 reps @ 20kg.

Shrugs B/B 4 sets final set 12 reps @ 160kg > taking it easy as have had a niggle in my neck the last few days. Will be going a bit harder next week for sure.

Reverse grip tricep pulldown > 3 sets final set 12 reps 40lb

over head tricep extension rope 3 sets > final set 12 reps 100lb - strict form with slow eccentric. (Could have gone heavier but easy goes as its my first Tricep workout since the restart).

Leg raises - 12 reps slow and controlled > 3 sets

Weigh in at 116.9kg tonight .... not sure this is right as I haven't done too well on the water today. Will refocus efforts tomorrow. Shoulders feel good at the moment - no hassles with my elbows.

Getting good separation across the shoulders and traps now .... starting to notice my weight gathering around the waist though so cardio day will be good for me.

Food much the same as yesterday except evenig meal was approx 400g chicken + Kumara and pumpkin.

Just going through my calendar and next week will be approx 12 weeks till my trip to bali. So will be starting my cut on the 6th of July.

This should give me plenty of time to bed down the training routine enough to cover the nutrition.

I have got till the 29th June to hit my goal of 118kg which should be right on. I'll do a carb taper that week and introduce two more cardio sessions AM. Then from the 6th July I'll switch to ketones and see what happens.

Has been a while since I used ketone so will be challenging I'm sure.

Back today ....

Lat Pulldowns (still to soft to do chins just yet :pfft: )

5 sets prone and wide / final set 190lbs 12 reps - Strict

2 sets supine and narrow / final set stack 10 reps - strict

Seated row 3 sets narrow / final set 12 reps 190lbs (last few were cheat reps :nod: )

Rear Delt machine / 2 sets final set 12 reps 2/3stack ??

DEADLIFTS =P~

5 sets / final 2 sets @ 180kg 12 reps and 10 on final.

(I have a 220 in there just need my confidence to kick in - 200 next week 220 in 2 weeks :pray: )

END

Post training meal was the fabulous Wendy crispy chicken and a Crossfire protein shake - just like a power lifter aparently :pfft:

Food all good today - body in good nick - weigh in at 116.4 so holding strong -

Chest tomorrow - :clap:

Chest and Biceps today ....

Good strength increase this week - shoulders performing better today having done the extra day last week.

D/b Press Flat: 4 sets / final set failure 6 reps @ 57.5kg d/b (pushed out a very clean 8 reps @ 52kg d/b set 3)

Incline Press Smith Machine: 3 sets / Final set 6 reps @ 100kg -rest pause 10seconds then 4 more reps (A bit dissapointing but was definatly feeling it after flat bench)

D/b Flyes: 4 sets / final set failure 8 reps @ 30kg - 1 second pause and stretch at bottom of movement on each rep.

D/b Pullover 2 sets 52.5kg 8 reps each set - fully poked after that.

D/b Curl 4 sets / final set 12 reps 25kg d/b nice and strict.

25 minutes low intensity cardio to finish walk on treadmill speed 6.5km incline 8.

Solid workout - will be eyeing up the 60kg d/b in a few weeks hopefully. As you can tell I'm a big fan of free weights but will use machines when working on high rep workouts.

Weigh in today 118.4kg ..... I am officially a fat bugger and are primed to start my drop on the 29th - yesterday was a cheat day so cals were out of control - cardio added this week will stablise weight and bring it down a bit for friday - 117.5kg probably.

I'm looking forward to going to the show on Saturday - will be good for my motivation levels and will probably result in a firm date set to come back to competition. (Not this year but more than likely 2010). I have a lot of work to do until then so I need to keep things in perspective having had a full year off training.

Hopefully there will be some good deals on protein at the show as my Visa is screaming for a stretch session :x

Tomorrow may hold off training as two days in a row could over fatigue me and I want to put a good leg session in this week.

8/10 workout today :)

yes I also enjoy using free weights as well.

:-)

Good dumbbell weights there mate, you only have 62.5kgs left on the rack at Te Atatu from memory?

I see the pullover weight is heavy, I was way off that weight with 25kg then!

yes I also enjoy using free weights as well.

:-)

Good dumbbell weights there mate, you only have 62.5kgs left on the rack at Te Atatu from memory?

I see the pullover weight is heavy, I was way off that weight with 25kg then!

I have had a bit more practice than tou mate ---- a lot of it is technique. My old training partner was 85kg and 55 years old ... could comfortably move 40 - 45 kg for pullovers. Just need to teach your body to move properly.

Yeah 62.5kg ... may not get the chance this time around - getting into some serious bulking from Oct/Nov onwards ... may be then. :)

Chest and Biceps today ....

Good strength increase this week - shoulders performing better today having done the extra day last week.

D/b Press Flat: 4 sets / final set failure 6 reps @ 57.5kg d/b (pushed out a very clean 8 reps @ 52kg d/b set 3)

Incline Press Smith Machine: 3 sets / Final set 6 reps @ 100kg -rest pause 10seconds then 4 more reps (A bit dissapointing but was definatly feeling it after flat bench)

D/b Flyes: 4 sets / final set failure 8 reps @ 30kg - 1 second pause and stretch at bottom of movement on each rep.

D/b Pullover 2 sets 52.5kg 8 reps each set - fully poked after that.

D/b Curl 4 sets / final set 12 reps 25kg d/b nice and strict.

25 minutes low intensity cardio to finish walk on treadmill speed 6.5km incline 8.

Solid workout - will be eyeing up the 60kg d/b in a few weeks hopefully. As you can tell I'm a big fan of free weights but will use machines when working on high rep workouts.

Weigh in today 118.4kg ..... I am officially a fat bugger and are primed to start my drop on the 29th - yesterday was a cheat day so cals were out of control - cardio added this week will stablise weight and bring it down a bit for friday - 117.5kg probably.

I'm looking forward to going to the show on Saturday - will be good for my motivation levels and will probably result in a firm date set to come back to competition. (Not this year but more than likely 2010). I have a lot of work to do until then so I need to keep things in perspective having had a full year off training.

Hopefully there will be some good deals on protein at the show as my Visa is screaming for a stretch session :x

Tomorrow may hold off training as two days in a row could over fatigue me and I want to put a good leg session in this week.

8/10 workout today :)

Nothing like a show to bring on the thought of competition. Assume you will be in the Open heavy Optimass. Will see you on stage in 2010 all going well :)

Nothing like a show to bring on the thought of competition. Assume you will be in the Open heavy Optimass. Will see you on stage in 2010 all going well :)

:nod: :)

.... Normally my wife is apprehensive about me competing but is encouraging it at the moment. Acknowledges I have been all about business etc over the last few years and need an outlet. So it should all go to plan.

LEGS :twisted:

Squats: 4 sets / final set 4 reps @180kg

Leg Press: 4 sets / Final set failure @ 8 reps @ 440kg

Reverse Lunges: 2 sets / Final set 12 reps @ 60kg

Concentration leg curl: 4 sets / Final set 12 reps @120lbs

Standing calf raise: 3 sets / Final set 12 long reps with 30 pulse at top of contraction.

Hoist Leg Raise: 2 sets 20 long reps with 1 sec hold at peak.

Shake n bake

END

Meals

Oat meal + 200g lite yogurt

Protein Shake + 2 x wholemeal toast with peanut butter and jam.

The Other Whopper combo - BK (peperoni and chilli :clap: )

Banana

Training

Shake

Tuna bake (Rice and green vegie baked - similar to tuna pasta bake)

Shake

END

Leg humming at the moment. No niggles tonight leg press is gaining momentum now and should benfit the squats for next week. Looking to master 8 reps @ 180kg on squats before progressing as technique on 4 th rep was a little off at the bottom of the push. Calfs are definately hammered - love the pulse reps.

Looking forward to the show tomorrow and seeing who shows up. :clap:

4 reps of 180kg, my nemesis :twisted: damn you I'll have to 5 next week!

Nah just kidding they really fried my CNS for 2 days tbh, how were you the next day?

about 85% .... nice and tight still - normally takes 2 days for DOMS to kick in. Will be feeling the lunges tomorrow for sure.

Start cutting carbs a little next week and increasing fats - so may effect recovery from next week.

You dont eat much for your weight... Are you holding a lot of water? I eat nearly double what you do, maybe my metabolism is fucked?

Don't think I'm holding that much water than normal - still quite vasular arms - shoulders - and legs / particularly after training.

My body fat is high at the moment though - estimate around 16% which is good as it buffers my shoulder joints and allows me to train heavy. Start to feel them just as I hit 12% as a rule.

My wet rate is quite slow - and I don't want to go over 118 max - as my %s will blow out.

Brother, You must be well above 16% Bf with a close to 40 inch waist and 17inch arms. I'm the same height with 34inch waist, 19.7inch arms and would guess I'm sitting around 12% currently at close to 120kg.

Looks like strength is going well for you, but dude those burgers can't be doing you much good!

Brother, You must be well above 16% Bf with a close to 40 inch waist and 17inch arms. I'm the same height with 34inch waist, 19.7inch arms and would guess I'm sitting around 12% currently at close to 120kg.

Looks like strength is going well for you, but dude those burgers can't be doing you much good!

:pfft: Can't say i have had a 34' waist for some time - my jeans are 38' :oops: ...

You're right .. burgers shouldn't be the norm ... I like high calorie on the big days when not working to a strict plan. - my waist is expanding now so time to switch my nutrient intake.

I'm switching tomorrow to a new plan > 60% protein / 25% Carb / 25% fat (All clean ones - Fish mainly).

target weight is 110kg in 8 weeks. Should bring me in to the slightly high side of 12%.

Shoulders Tricep today ...

Usual warm ups - rotator etc.

Shoulder Press / Smith Machine: Behind head 4 sets / last set 12 reps 80kg.

Upright Roz B/B / 3 sets final set 12 reps @ 40kg

Bent over d/b Raises / 3 sets final set 12 reps @ 20kg

Shrugs D/b seated / 4 sets finals set 12 reps 45kg

Dips : legs rear 2 sets Max reps

Close grip bench on machine: 3 sets / final set 12 reps with the stack.

Leg raises 3 sets super with ab crunch machine.

END