How to get a flat stomach/abs?

PageantGirl

Hi all!

I am very new to the whole fitness gym thing! I have started a body for life type diet and basically want to get really toned! I have a small frame (about a size 8) but i am sooooo flabby!!!

I have had spinal surgery which also prevents me from doing crunches; probably why my stomach is so yuck, so i am trying leg lifts to tone my abs. is this right?

I would also like to know how to get small thighs and gluts?!

Would appreciate any help i could get!!!!!

:-)

Hi all!

I am very new to the whole fitness gym thing! I have started a body for life type diet and basically want to get really toned! I have a small frame (about a size but i am sooooo flabby!!!

I have had spinal surgery which also prevents me from doing crunches; probably why my stomach is so yuck, so i am trying leg lifts to tone my abs. is this right?

Hi all!

I am very new to the whole fitness gym thing! I have started a body for life type diet and basically want to get really toned! I have a small frame (about a size but i am sooooo flabby!!!

Sadly you can't lose weight just off your tummy or thighs. It'a whole body weight loss but your combination of diet, exercise and time will get you there.

Your exercise request is out of my depth as I'm not familiar with your type of spinal issues.

crunches arent really going to make your stomach toned.. yes your abs will get worked.. if you are trying to strengthen/ grow your abs then all good.. but i imagine your main priority is loosing the flab off your stomach..

you will acheive this by eating right and doing cardio ie, running,walking,swimming,cycling

4 sessions of cardio a week and keep that diet in check and the fat will peel off you..

good luck!!

Yep - one of the worst myths of all time is "spot reduction" - there is no such thing...to uncover abs, you've got to reduce overall bodyfat with diet and exercise. Same for 'small thighs and glutes' - reduce overall bodyfat and you'll be amazed at what can happen.

In view of your spinal surgery, however, I'd recommend you get good medical or other professional advice at an early stage.

I am with the others on this one. Spines and any injury around this area need to be taken with caution. Possibly you could under professional guidance try pilates which will strengthen your core area. Further keep a good diet in conjunction with cardio to reduce BF.

On reflection, my earlier post might have sounded negative - it wasn't meant to be.

Trained professional help will be important in managing the impact on your spine, especially in the early stages of any diet-and-exercise programme, but one of the key benefits of a properly designed programme will be greatly improved muscle tone, strength and resilience. So not only will you end up with a flat tummy and shapely thighs et cetera, but also much improved mobility and flexibility.

PG - Like i said, if you truely want to succeed at your chosen goal i would strongly suggest you recruit the help of someone who has already made it to where you want to be. You'll then benefit from inside knowledge of the industry and what the demands are, along with correct nutrition and training advice. ;)

• 3 months later...

Crunches are lame anyway but the spinal thing does limit your options i guess

• swimming as cardio, also works core, next up boxing

• gymnastic type static holds, you should be able to work up to the 'L-Sit'

• Sloooow chin-ups, nobody seems to ever say this but they were the first thing to work my core really hard, like just pausing at various points in the negative phase... if you can only do negatives, that's fine.

• 3 months later...