Hawkes Bay's Strongest Man - Easter Highland Games

nate225

The inaugural "Hawkes Bay's Strongest Man" is confirmed for Sun 12 April 2009 (implements available on Sat 11 for inspection).

Weigh in for both classes (Open Heavyweight and Under 105kg Lightweight) on Sunday at 10.00 a.m., lifting starting at 11.30.

Events are:

1) 80 kg Farmers Walk for 50 metres

2) 56lb weight for height

3) Tyre Flip - 250kg over 25m

4) Steel Log Press for maximum weight

5) Caledonian Stones - 75, 80, 90, 95, 120kg

Have managed to pull together some modest prize money for 1st place in each event, 1st & 2nd in heavy and lightweight classes (U105kg), as well as overall HB Strongest Man. Event rules as per NZSM.

Should be an awesome opportunity to see some of NZ's Strongest Men compete (2008 & 2007 NZ's Strongest Men Nick Hansen & Jono MacFarlane confirmed) as well as a great first competition for novice entrants. On top of that there's a beer tent! :clap:

Nate

post-2696-14166819206346_thumb.jpg

Would be good to see some BBers stepping up for this, the first Strongman show I watched had Steve Lynch competing (who was current Mr NZ at the time?). I remember seeing him flipping a car and thinking "Holy shit, look at the size of those calves".

Hasn't been many BBers lately, probably since Matt Ashworth (NZFBB Novice Nats winner) placed second in his first NZ Strongest Man in 1999. Big Eddie from Chch has also competed although not for a while I believe.

Anyone gonna man up?! :wink:

Nate

Thought it might be useful to post the competition rules in advance for anyone looking to man up for the challenge! :D

Rules are taken from NZ Strongest Man Comp.

Farmers walk (80kg/side, lighter than NZSM 100kgs)

· 50 meter course, 25m up turn then 25m back

· 60 sec time limit

· Competitor may drop the weights and lift again to continue until the 60 sec time expires

· Runs that do not complete the distance within the time limit are measured for distance.

56lbs for height

· 3 attempts at each height, competitor must succeed before progressing to the next height.

· 3 misses on a height means elimination

· In the event of a tie the athlete who clears the bar first takes the higher position, if both clear on the same attempt the a countback to the previous height decides the higher placing, if its still a tie then the higher starting attempt takes the higher position. If its still a tie the bodyweight rule applies as per powerlifting.

Tyre flip (250kg, lighter than NZSM 300kg)

· 25 meter course

· 60 sec time limit, most distance or fastest time wins

· Ties decided on bodyweight.

Log lift for max (Min start weight = 72.5kg)

· 5 attempts

· 60 sec time limit for each attempt, athlete may take multiple attempts at the nominated weight within the time limit

· The log must be at arms length and feet in line for a good lift

· The log can not be supported on the head during the lockout

· Failure to lift the nominated weight within the time limit means elimination from the log lift.

· Ties decided by bodyweight, if still tied countback.

Caledonian stones (80, 90, 95, 120, 155; NZSM use 80-139kg)

· Fastest time wins

· Then fastest to 4, fastest to 3 etc

· In the event of a tie bodyweight decides

Just out of interest I've listed the NZ Strongest Man Records

Farmers walk (@100kg) – HW Mick Cottrel 18.40, LW Richard Kilgour 24.28

56lbs Weight for Height – HW Pat Hellier 16’ 6”, LW Ryan Hewitt 13’

Tyre flip (@300kg) Cain Green 33.97

Log Lift – HW Nick Mcnamee 157.5kg, LW Andrew Soutar 120kg

Caledonian Stones (80-139kg) – HW Reuben Dejong 16.79, LW Richard Kilgour 23.10

Anyone going to step up for the BBing world and come and throw some heavy stuff around?!!

All I've heard is a few 'gonnas' and 'maybes' which seem to turn into "I could'ves" after the event! :^o

Nate

I really wana go! I rekon it'd be sweet, doubt I'd compete cos I'm sick as a dog at the moment. But just to watch! Will have to see if I end up being free and feel like a drive that weekend!

Hit up Trapfat at PH (or any of the others there) to see if he's coming across - could meet in Palmy on the way thru to save $$.

You should have a go Laver, its a blast and you'd probably do quite well as a LW.

I'd do it if they let girls compete :(

Feel free Sportsgirl - Valerie Vili did a highland games here one year & placed 2nd from memory to Pat Hellier!!

If you're in the bay come try out the equipment and see if it's worth doing?

I've tried Strongman once and it was pretty fun. I trained one day with the Strongman Team in Sydney. I am moving back to NZ though (not soon enough for the comp) so I will be interested in future comps!

I'd do it if they let girls compete :(

Feel free Sportsgirl - Valerie Vili did a highland games here one year & placed 2nd from memory to Pat Hellier!!

If you're in the bay come try out the equipment and see if it's worth doing?

I've tried Strongman once and it was pretty fun. I trained one day with the Strongman Team in Sydney. I am moving back to NZ though (not soon enough for the comp) so I will be interested in future comps!

The Powerhouse Gym forum's probably the best place to keep up to date with Strongman Comps - there's a lighter event in Auckland this weekend http://powerhousegym.co.nz/gymforum/vie ... p?tid=1332