Gyms in New Plymouth

Jenga

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If Rampage was good, can anyone provide feedback on City Fitness in New Plymouth?

Thanks

John

forget about city fitness, that place is sh*t, $18 for a casual is ridiculous for old crappy equipment that they try to say is state of the art - lol

either rampage on gill st or world gym (hardcore old school) in borrell ave

city fitness is run by a bunch of clowns, that is why there are so many people leaving once their contracts are up

Wound up at City Fitness as you get free entry if you stay at the Quest. Yes, not the best 5/10.

Weirdest setup I've seen. Only 2 flat benches, no seated row machines, only 1 lat pulldown, so if it gets busy there's a lot of waiting. No dead lift area, you have to use the squat rack.

Guy I trained with had his t-shirt on an incline bench, walked away for a sec and a couple chicks came up and just chucked his shirt on the floor and took over the bench. Wouldn't have been too bad but they weren't even good looking. Too busy flapping their gums.

Will try Rampage next time.

Wound up at City Fitness as you get free entry if you stay at the Quest. Yes, not the best 5/10.

Weirdest setup I've seen. Only 2 flat benches, no seated row machines, only 1 lat pulldown, so if it gets busy there's a lot of waiting. No dead lift area, you have to use the squat rack.

Guy I trained with had his t-shirt on an incline bench, walked away for a sec and a couple chicks came up and just chucked his shirt on the floor and took over the bench. Wouldn't have been too bad but they weren't even good looking. Too busy flapping their gums.

Will try Rampage next time.

that's just the tip of the ice berg at city sh*tness,

the pt's take over peoples benches and weights all the time

the city fitness promo flyers always say "more machines and eqipment so no waiting whatsoever" - what a joke!!

even the ymca is better than city fitness

• 2 months later...

I've just been up in New Plymouth for a couple of weeks and took you advice and checked out World and Rampage, World was basic so I went to Rampage next, I had to find the receptionist who wasn't interested in directing me to much so I had my workout and didn't go back again - had to wait to get on the cardio gear and some of the weights, the cafe was nice though.

Against your advice I ended up getting a free 7 days pass off the cityfitness website and was much more impressed, the receptionist said hello before I even got to the desk, I was shown around and they made me feel welcome. Heaps of cardio gear and the gym has a nice open feel, the gear and changing rooms were really clean. I stayed mainly in the weights and cardio area but ended up doing RPM and Pump classes as well, those instructors were awesome - lots of personality - it was pumping.

So check out the 7 day free pass, I found it on their website instead of paying $18 for a visit - Mike are you onto something we don't know as I thought $15-$25 was the norm for casual visits :)

Was thankful to the guys from Shotgun who gave me a free pass to Rampage. Its a little more hardcore than City Fitness.

I don't think anyone there uses barbells at all. Went to find some and found they were stacked against a roller door round the back of a machine. Due to the effort of getting a couple out to use I took it no-one there uses them so they just put them out of the way.

Was that at Rampage, I thought it was the big boys gym or is that World? I think its the same guy who owns Rampage owns the supplement store up there.

Was thankful to the guys from Shotgun who gave me a free pass to Rampage. Its a little more hardcore than City Fitness.

I don't think anyone there uses barbells at all. Went to find some and found they were stacked against a roller door round the back of a machine. Due to the effort of getting a couple out to use I took it no-one there uses them so they just put them out of the way.

I picked up a 7 day pass at Rampage reception and trained there tonight. Real cool place with very helpful staff. Seemed to have a good mixture of males and females of all ages not just big boys. Good equipment and heaps of classes, Will probably join as it has a daytime and evening crèche...so i can take the kids along while I train. Finished up with a protein shake, sushi and coffee in their cafe....very nice...seems to be the gym in N.P.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I just signed me and the mrs up at cityfitness we had our first workout last night, thought it was awsome heaps of cardio machines very freindly staff

cant really say much on the weight's just yet i am only a begginer so im not sure of any weights at the moment- still need to do some research on work out gear.

going back today to do some work out.

Ben

• 3 months later...

i trained at cityfitness new plymouth for a year. The cardio gear and there aerobice classes are good but there weights area and weights equipment are complete crap( the worst out of all the gyms iv trained in) and way overcrowded.. I was told by management that cityfitness isnt really a bodybuilding gym. I also found that cityfitness was all about the money and how much they could get out of you. I also thought most of there trainers didnt have a clue and didnt have bodies that reflect what they were preaching. All in all if you serous about getting in shape then Rampage fittness is a much better option. Better equipment, better facilities and heaps better staff( you not a number but a person at rampage)

I have trained at rampage, world & cityfitness. Rampage and world are great I prefer world - great gear a little older but nice to use. World is a bit quieter than rampage. I mostly train in Inglewood (10 min drive from New Plymouth) at the Inglewood Fitness and Weightlifting Centre cost $130 for a year and you get a swipe card so you can train when ever you want 24-7, awesome range of gear (not much cardio though) and it is never too busy. If anyone is ever in the Naki sing out I would be happy to get you a free train somewhere.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

I am a newbie thats just starting back in the gym after 15 years of total neglect.

I am seriously out of shape but still remember what it felt like to press good weight.

I am keen to find some people who are training in Taranaki, who wouldn't mind helping me get back into the groove, and even giving me a kick in the butt to get through the tough part of getting back into the build.

I am serious about rebuilding my body, and know how much works involved, and also know that I wont be able to do this without a good training partner or two, that can help me get back on track, and keep me on-track.

If there is anyone out there that wants a pet project :) contact me.

I haven't chosen a gym but it sounds like Rampage, or World is for me.

(Old school and real people)

Hey - welcome back to training. Last year I too got back into training after a 15 year break - trained at the "Y", rebuilt my muscle, and won 3 bodybuilding comps last year.

The YMCA is the best little gym in New Plymouth. Its cheap, you can pay weekly so are not trapped into a long contract. And its looking really smart after a revamp of the fitness equipment. Open till 3pm weekends.

Come and check it out.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies :)

I will have a look at the Y, I live in New Plymouth so thought Inglewood might be a bit out of the way, but have heard really good things about it, so will give them a call.

I went and had a look at Rampage, friendly people, and a cave like RPM room they call the sweatbox, thought that rocked.

They are talking about going 24 hour as well.

With that and the Cafe there making shakes and stuff, it looks pretty good.