Skinny wrists and forearms

Progress

Hey everyone, a little background first... I'm naturally tall and skinny (as most people on both sides of family are).

6'1 (185cm) and started working out march 2007, so almost dead on 2 years ago.

I weighed 69kg at that stage, and looked bony and not well.

Since then I've got to a pretty steady 85kg, which I'm much happier with, but I'm wanting to get to 100 (within the next couple of years if possible). Eating more than I used to, and working out more intensely than I used to as well, so thats all going ok I guess.

But one thing I just can't seem to do much for is my SKINNY wrists, and forearms.

I do wrist curls and wrist flexes (think thats what they're called? Upside down wrist curls), till failure. 3-5 sets, as heavy as I can manage to get to 10-12reps. I eat protein foods after my workouts.

But the skinny wrists and forearms (wrists in particular) just refuse to grow!

Any thoughts on how to get them growing?

Yeah deadlifts I've been meaning to get into actually. Thanks for the reminder. Do they have a reputation for building wrists as well as forearms, or is it mainly going to be the thicker part of the forearm getting thrashed?

Yup 1day I wouldn't stress so much except that they're just SO thin :oops: I'm much happier with my overall body shape and strength these days, except for this main sticking point - thin twig forearms that look like I haven't lifted a weight in my life! lol :doh:

Yeah I do a fair amount of barbell benching these days, both close and wide grip. Mainly flat bench, some incline.

I've never used straps for anything, though I suppose I haven't reached the weights where they are used. I also regularly handle a couple of dumbbells up to 40kg for my shrugs, and from holding tight on those I do notice a bit of forearm pump from exercises like that.

Not sure what wrist/forearm measurements are, don't have a measuring tape, but yeah, very thin. :nod:

Maybe I'm just being impatient with it, but I swear they're lagging behind.

yeah, you can't increase the size of your wrist.

as for your forearms they get used all the time so you might want to consider not doing all those forearm curls etc.

instead - on bicep day try some hands-facing-down BB or EZ bar curls, and DB hammer curls are good too

Your forearms will always get a secondary workout on Back & Biceps days.

I.e. If your forearms are small my first thoughts are you aren't going heavy enough on those exercises.

I have trained others on my back and biceps routines and their forearms have burned and fatigued before being able to go to failure on said exercises. I don't train forearms separately yet they are well developed.

My advice, go heavy on back and biceps.

=iZ.

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone. Lots to think about. I'll have to change some of my routines around a bit I think.

I did use to do reverse curls, but stopped for some reason, so I'll be adding those again.

InZane you mention going heavy on back and biceps - will do - any specific exercises here that are likely to do the most?

I do widegrip pullups fairly regularly too, but maybe I need to do more close grip and chins too?

Good point Pseudonym. I probably won't mind so much once forearms have a bit more meat on them.

Wrists are bone so you wont change those, as for your forearms they will grow as long as you stay away from straps. Just keep smashing yourself the way you always have and keep upping your weights. Your forearms will grow eventually.

PS. flag any forearm exercise they are just not neccesary because your forearms are always getting a workout. By doing specific forearm excercise you are effectively over training them.

Happy lifting \:D/

InZane you mention going heavy on back and biceps - will do - any specific exercises here that are likely to do the most?

I do widegrip pullups fairly regularly too, but maybe I need to do more close grip and chins too?

Biceps - Heavy barbell curls (straight or EZ bar)/Dumbbell curls

Back - One arm dumbbell rows/medium grip barbell rows

Pullups/Pulldowns don't focus on the part of the forearm you want to improve. They put an bigger emphasis on forearm tendons, the brachioradialis (elbow flexor) and biceps brachii muscle.

The most important thing is strict form, don't jerk or you will damage the aforementioned brachioradialis. Go heavy to your limit (as low as 6 reps on last set).

=iZ.

Awesome, thanks guys. This is great info.

I never would have guessed that my wrist curls / flexes were actually overtraining and not doing me any good!

Going to try and go heavier on bicep curls, mainly do barbell these days, so going to add some DB curls as well.

Also I have been getting into preacher barbell curls, though with lighter weight than i can do standing barbell curls.... thoughts?

I also haven't been doing one-arm dumbbell rows at all! Added.

**edit** Hmm turns out I already have been doing lots of one-arm dumbbell rows, using 20-30kg dumbbells... just knew them by a different name.

Hammer curls fo sho.

One thing I used to do in high school (not since because I haven't seen it any where else) was they had this piece of wood, with a string through the middle and tied to a weight (say, 2 1/2 to 5kg). What you do then is hold your arms out parallel to the floor, and roll the weight up by turning the pole and the cord rolls around the wood, then back down again.

They'd be pretty easy to make, and I'd use an old jumprope for the rope because the don't break easily and boom - instant forearm workout.

If those don't burn your forearms, I don't know what will haha.

Yeah hehe I guess much of my muscle building is lagging in general 1day, but I suppose I'm most conscious of the forearms as they're whats visible most of the time. A bit shy to go posting pics just yet :oops:

Still being hampered by not eating enough every day I think too. I would eat a lot more if I could afford it - being poor really sucks.

Thanks again for the help everyone, I'm going to see what I can change up and improve on.