Spin bike v exercycle

Rag the Dog

I am looking at updating my 10 year old magnetic exercycle. I am using it in my studio to thrash clients on when I run out of ideas. Its a great time filler and gets them all sweaty and knackered for their drive home. :pfft: So I was wondering about a dodgey old spin bike instead. I dont fully understand the whole 22kg fly wheel etc. Any one used these things?? I make my clients really work when they are on the exercycle, its all at a high intensity. So I figure maybe a spin bike will be better for that purpose??

I prefer the spin bike to a regular exercycle, it's easier (quicker) to alter the level with a quick spin of the dial rather than pushing buttons (if you've got an electric exercycle). Also I think it's a bit more versatile as far as getting hill climbs in/out of the seat done etc. Some exercycles are only designed to be cycled on sitting down so if you get out of the seat to try and climb, it feels weird and puts you in an un-natural position.

Truds is spot on - the variety of riding positions is a key plus over most electric bikes. I've yet to find one that really lets you get out of the saddle - which is important for shifting emphasis around from quads to hams etc.

Plus, most spin bikes have no 'freewheel' - so you have to keep moving, you can't stop pedalling. That constant tension is a plus for effective workouts.

Additionally, most spin bikes are mechanical, no electrics to go wrong - and any bike shop could replace worn-out chains and stuff.

thanx for the feedback, I am too lazy to head down the shops and try one out. Can get some cheaper spin bikes now, in the hundreds rather than thousands.... mmmm hundreds and thousands..... so I might have to invest. Heaps of people have got exercycles at home too so to come and use a spin bike will be a bit of variety for them. Go the canes

There is no comparison!!! Spin bikes are the way to go My $900 spin bike gives me way more of a workout than the $6000 stationary bikes at the gym. on a spin you can do true hill climbs i havent found a stationary bike that would allow me to get up out of the saddle and climb like that.

something like this showed up easy in a google search... never mind the computer and HRM, they're just "nice to have", what you're looking for is ease of adjustability (moving seat up and down, bars in/out and up/down) for different clients.

Nice result for the 'Canes last night :)

Hmmm. I didn't realise they were that inexpensive :think:

I was thinking of getting something to do cardio at home for when it rains outside or I don't feel like going out. I was thinking of a bike or a rower. Maybe both \:D/

A spin bike's really great for clients in particular, since they normally adjust quickly for height, reach, et cetera. For best results, look for one where the brake pushes straight down on the flywheel, not where two pads clamp the sides - less parts to replace!.

I got great results from a windtrainer, which is great if it's just one person using it, who already has a bike. Ideally it'd be a roadbike, but an MTB with a slick on the back works just as well. Most windtrainers give more than enough resistance (adjusted using the bike gears and magnetic resistance levels), and once you're set up, you're good to go.

Like BigMD, the other benefit of a spin bike is stability - most Spin classes teach three or four riding positions, moving emphasis around the body, which is good for variety as well as for overall development.

Hell, I might just have to spring for one myself!

the wallet came out an there is a spin bike on its way. Who am I to argue with a man with Big MDs credentials :clap: I will give some feedback on any injuries I can inflict on clients in the coming fortnight. You should buy one TFB, we can have virtual races :pfft:

something like this showed up easy in a google search... never mind the computer and HRM, they're just "nice to have", what you're looking for is ease of adjustability (moving seat up and down, bars in/out and up/down) for different clients.

Nice result for the 'Canes last night :)

wow thats cheap and looks good. Im also looking for a spin bike or exercycle around this price. Has anyone seen this model up close? does it look ok or is it cheap looking?

I have ridden this sucka. its what you'd expect for 6 hundy. the only probs though is the seat doesnt go extremely high, so anyone over 6 ft may struggle to get a good positioning when seated. and at the other end of the scale a shorter person may struggle to reach the handle bars when the bars and seat are positioned closest together. Mind you I am new to spin bikes so it may be just me getting used to it. It rides ok and the delivery was within a couple of days. The HRM is slow to respond though and to hold it for any length of time is uncomfortable at best (30 seconds plus to get an accurate reading). The latch to hold the seat is also pretty lame and the seat tends to drift south when sitting, it needs to be tightened pretty hard out. but hey, 600 fish!! and the seat shouldnt be an issue when riding thoe hills, bottom line is it goes ok, if you want one that goes better than ok, then fork out the thousands and get the extra spokey dokies that come with it, 6/10 from raggy :shrug: