Birthday Olympic Plate

Laver

Hi there fellow recipeians

Don't come in here much, but Laver Needs You! :rockout:

My 21st Birthday coming up and I have enlisted my mother and sister to make me a cake that looks like an Olympic plate, see below.

post-1681-14166819119888_thumb.jpg

I think we're doing a blue 20kg plate, rather than the red pictured.

General suggestions of the best way to do it would be great, but I need help about one area in particular!

At the moment its working like this, two rectangle ~7cm high banana cakes are being put side by side, a circle will then be cut out, about 35cm diameter. A hole of ~4cm will be cut in the middle.

We are using food coloring to get blue icing, what can we do the silver/grey area in the middle out of?!

We don't have many ideas at the moment, without going to huge trouble. Thoughts so far -

- Silver Balls (those little hard ones)

- Tin Foil to then be removed (not ideal...)

What else could be used?

Thanks for your help in advance

I think you guys are just jealous.

And rightly so. Cake jealousy is a powerful thing. My mum made a train cake for my fifth birthday. It was awesome - licorice tracks and everything. My sister wasn't even born then, but she saw the photos and demanded a train cake of her own. She eventually got one for her 21st. It was okay, but not as cool as mine. I like to think that proves Mum loves me more. :grin:

Anyway, congrats on the impending 21st, Laver. You'll have to post up a photo of the cake, just to show the others what they're missing out on.

• 2 weeks later...

dude, cakes are a piece of piss..

*you could use a solid round cake and use black icing on the center to create a fake hole

* easiest to cut this out of a square, but thats wasteful so just go sumwhere like eves pantry or decor cakes etc and hire a big-ass tin.

* icing is easy, make simple butter icing and use a piping bag to apply, use food colouring from supermarket to colour as you need it.

* if youre not confident with butter icing, look up a recipe for buttercream and use that - it doesnt tastre as good but is easy as f*ck to work with. some places even sell buttercream made up!

* if youre a fan of the icing thats used for xmas cakes, buy the plain RTU icing from the supermarket. it colours up really well, but its quite hard to use RIGHT.

Hope this helps

H

• 3 weeks later...