2009: TFB's Road to Buff

teamfatboy

...no, not Bluff, BUFF :-)

2009's going to see me change-up the game...starting now:

Monday 25th Back (biceps to follow after work)

Bentover row [warm-up 15x 60kg] 12x 80kg 12x 100kg 12x 100kg

WG Pulldown 12x 56kg 12x 63kg 12x 70kg (1s hold at bottom, ow!)

Seated row CG 12x 49kg 12x 63kg 12x 77kg

SB DB Row 12x 30kg 12x 38kg 12x 45kg PB

Upright Row 12x 40kg 12x 50kg 12x 50kg - nothing left in the tank at this point.

Was motivational watching the guy next to me doing off-the-floor clean-and-press at 60kg - one day, one day soon!

I'll post training split and diet later.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swiss Ball - I'm told doing db rows that way, rather than off a bench, causes you to tap into the core to maintain stability. I've done them off the bench too - but the gym's getting busier.

I'll be getting a form-check on the actual row, in case I'm cheating, but yep, I'm quite happy with them. My back's a weak point, so I'm going to be hitting it hard, consistently.

Monday 25 Jan continued

Biceps

Standing BB curls [warm-up 20x 15kg] 12x 20kg, 12x 27.5kg, 12x 35kg

Seated concent. curls 12x 12kg e/s, 12x 15kg, 12x 15kg

ISO Preacher curls 12x 25kg, 12x 30kg, 12x 35kg

Lo-pulley curls 12x 20kg, 12x 30kg, 12x 40kg - wondered why it was so easy at 20kg, then realised the pulleys make for half the gross weight :doh:

Cardio - 20m on one of the old-generation X-trainers (but no hands, just legs working), 3.6km, 360 cal.

Tuesday 27th was a rest day...

I'm on a 4-day/ twice daily split:

Back-Biceps, Chest-Triceps, Quads-Hams-Calves, and Shoulders-Abs. I might look at tweaking that - going Quads-Abs, Shoulders-Hams or something, to separate the two leg sessions so's each leg session can be a bit bigger.

There's no cardio at all at the moment, but I'll be looking to feed it back in as I get a gauge on how the fat's coming off. Right now, it could be measured with a builder's tape measure, never mind calipers!

Wednesday 28th Part 1 - Quads

SM Squat [warm-up 12x 60kg] 12x 100kg 12x 110kg 12x 120kg

Horizontal Press 12x 107kg 12x 116kg 12x 116kg (tried 125kg, no way...yet!)

HS Extensions 12x 70kg 12x 77kg 12x 84 kg

Incline Press 21s - 200kg, 240kg, 240kg

Incidentally, I LOVE Orange juice...I could barely walk back to the office, no energy at all, but my Post WO meal is 300ml of OJ, a banana and a shake, and I feel comparatively human. Still can't walk, mind you, but now I can sit down and stay awake!

Wednesday 28th part 2 - Hams

Lying leg curls [warm-up 20 at 35kg] 12x 55kg, 12x 60kg, 12x 65kg - found a note from my PT saying 3s up, 3s down, so duly obeyed....that last set really set them afire!

Stifflegs 12x 100kg, 12x 110kg, 12x 120kg

Seated HS curls 12x 77kg, 12x 84kg, 12x 91kg. Like this one, can watch the cardio floor sitting down! But why did they put the weights room upstairs :shock:

But then got stuck in traffic for an hour sitting in the car, practically needed a towtruck to get me out :oops:

Nice goals TFB, good luck with your training plan :grin:
Great to see you start another journal TFB. Whats your BF at now and whats the short and long term goal for that?

Keep up the good work :nod:

go teamfatboy go :dancing:
Hey man, have you fulled stopped doing free squats now? You're getting really strong tho bro, compare this to your lifts last year. What do you weigh in at now bro?
nice looking forward to the new journal! are you planning on any comps this year?

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys n gals

I foolishly thought, before the traditional Xmas blow-out, that 2009 would be the year of the comp...but now, at 25% bf, I've got a hard road to run.

It's made harder by a lot of work travel coming up, crappy hotel food etc.

But, PT and I are teaming up on a fiendish, cunning plan...

So, the goals are two-fold. Regular hard attack on the bodyfat (third consecutive day of eating ABSOFREAKINLUTELY the diet \:D/ ), and forcing myself to ratchet the weights up, regularly, not when I felt strong, 'cos I think I was being too easy on myself...

So, I've got my Harden-up supps, and a plan. Rightnow, for instance, the 12x 120 SM squats is a bit of a task, so I'll stick to that 'til I only turn red, not blue...then I'll pop on maybe 10kg, and expect to fail early in the last set. Do that til I don't fail, up the weights and repeat. It seems to be working - the DOMS is back, and she brought her friends! I'm not sure how it'll go, but that's the plan.

Ideally, goals would include, for example, a 100kg bench for "three white lights" from the PT - clean form, all the way to sternum, no sissy office-boy presses. I'll be nominating set lifts (flat bench, bb squat, sumo dead, and clean-and-press) and using them as yardsticks for each major muscle group.

No, I'll still do BB squats, but the racks were in use...I don't mind the smith, it gives me a chance to hit things slightly differently. Same for mixing incline/ flat press, sumo or regular deads, that kinda thing.

PT and I will be aiming for regular, consistent, reductions in bf - some will come off quick, but once I'm back to pre-xmas weight, then we hit the jurassic pork, stuff that's been around for decades, which will be slower. But I will persist, and I will kick its saggy ass! :nod:

Only if I'm ready - and if there's a Southwest Fiordland regional comp where no-one I know will be there:grin:

Seriously, there will be a comp in my future, but it may not be 2009.

Hell, it may not be a bb comp...someone (where's SS when you need him) keeps saying I should head for the dark side. Maybe that's the comp I'll end up doing.

Life was so much easier when I was a roadie cyclist...one lap of lake Taupo, and it's over...

Life was so much easier when I was a roadie cyclist...one lap of lake Taupo, and it's over...
yes and now you want to commit to 16weeks dieting and 5hundredand54million hours in front of a damn mirror [that i swear make you look fatter!] :evil: :lol: hahaha great choice :lol:

Sixteen weeks and then some... I've got work travel roughly every four weeks from now 'til June, so it's four-week diet, travel, four-week-diet, travel, all the way 'til at least the 4th of July. And then it gets serious!

As for the mirror...no, please don't make me stand in front of the mirror :pale:

Don't mind using them for training, but when you stand in front of the mirror in a pair of budgie-smugglers in the harsh light of day, there's an awful lot of TFB out there :oops:

Thursday...should have been shoulders/abs, one of my favorites, but work got in the freakin' way :evil: so I treated it as a rest day...just means I'll have shoulders/abs tomorrow, chest/triceps on Saturday or Sunday.

Ah well, at least eating was clean...the diet doesn't change much on training/ non training days, just gets re-sequenced. One of these days I'll get around to cut-and-pasting it.

Friday 30th - Shoulders

Standing clean and-press [warm-up 15x 20kg] 12x 25kg 12x 30kg 12x 35kg

Seated db side raise 12x 7kg 12x 8kg 12x 9kg

Lying rear delt raise 12x 7kg 12x 8kg 12x 9kg

Chek Press 12x 7kg 12x 9kg 12x 9kg

DB shrug 12x 25kg 12x 35kg 2 lots of 6x 45kg pb (well it would have been if I'd done th dozen. Lame-oh newbie excuse, left my lifting straps behind and ran out of grip strength :evil: