23yr old gets Pro card?

Paul Ross

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you cant get up on stage and win with out the gear then you are not good enough to think about a pro card. im not saying that it is my personal opinion on how the NZFBB should run there Testing policys. but if you are goodenough and you want it bad enough you will just bite the bullit and go clean and win the NZFBB nats.

Mike "doing the damage" Debenham

lol, nigga plz!!!!!!

I dont see willy nilly cards handed out! the applicant still has to have the support of the NZFBB committee

Before Mike K earned his pro card who was the last person to gain their card from winning the Nationals, straight up, passed whatever they had too if they needed too (no testing in the early mid and lat 90s) Mark Stewart in 96 Kevin Ogready in 95 and before that BJ Johns in 94. lets not leave it one or two cards every 10yrs.

For those that will say what about Moe, he got his through lebanon, and justin was given a wild card entry into the NZ GP in 2001. so nether of them gained it from their national wins.

if we had a run of our national overall champ (eg for 5yr) not being interested in going pro but instead just wanted to do worlds or even if they didnt do anything internationally it would mean that NZ wont have any new pros gaining experence. and what if these possible pros were loosing by 1point, why let them miss out.

Grant is definatly not a "willy nilly" applicant for his card he did not win the NZ's but ist not as if he was not of standard to be the winner.

As long as the NZFBB committee ensure that any applicant is of standard then i think the card to grant is well deserved. And if this is how the NZFBB wish to grant cards then we should look fwd too the future selection and not on selections of the past.

i think it seem very easy for those that have no aspirations or dont have the genetics of dont even compete to make comment on wether others goet there pro card of not. hey at the olympics we dont just send 1 athlete of each disapline (unless internationally restriceted to 1) if we are allowed to send 2 or 3 and we have the depth of athletes to do that.

Lets show some support instead of showing our good Old NZ tall poppy syndrome.

Are you saying that unless someone is competing, their opinions on bodybuilding are invalid? So people like Peter McGough, Lonny Tepper, Hany Rambod and Chad Nicholls would know nothing about bodybuilding because they don't compete?

And rather than labelling people as being in the tall poppy mould, try and look at it from a different angle that they are wanting to preserve the integrity of the national champs and not see a watered down version because all of our best competitors are away overseas. And yes, on paper there hasn't been all that many pro cards awarded in the last 10 years, but there has certainly been a shift in the last few years with a view to award a couple a year.

Congratulations to those who have received their pro-cards - good luck to you all.

The question - it's going to cost a hell of a lot of money to compete in one show - how are ya' going to pay the bills? Because we all know that bodybuilding doesn't pay it. Something to think about.:think:

Ive seen footage of when you were at your biggest and best and think you looked great, wicked thick legs and back, ripped and complete. Applying for your pro card looking like you did then I would definitlty back you.
A very good insterting debate also some good points as well plus it would be great to see more Kiwi pro's on stage along with are current Kiwi pro's for the likes of Moe,Mike K ,Mike D, Salah,Big Kiwi.

The more pros you add to that list the weaker the list looks. On that list above I see two names that can do damage. The others all have the potential but you can say that about anyone.

So if you have everything required to be a pro, sho it on stage. So far on two people on that list have done that.

Seems like a big contridiction, on one hand he hasn't "done that" in your eyes (if winning NABBA and NZFBB nats isn't enough.....please elaborate on what is), and on the other hand you've seen him in a form where you would back him. Not too sure where your coming from there.

The common thread here is that we all want the integrity of the awarding of Pro cards maintained, it's just an agreement of how that standard is held... I believe that if there was a system in place that everyone knew about (ie win the overall, or their class twice- as Jackie did) then we'd have no argument.

The standard though, Bluto, cannot be determined by who turns up, if noone from NABBA shows up, those that do can't be held back because of it.

oh who gives a rats if you compete mostly as a NABBA, your still a body builder, you can compete in either federation as far as NABBA is concerned,its only IFBB rules that state you must repay your membership if you compete in another federation.

And Mr Natural.... I care,

as I said before, it's not NZFBB's place to offer a stepping stone to NABBA athletes. If NABBA athletes don't rate their own international level thats not NZFBB or IFBB problem.

Just as to get in the All Blacks, playing for the Warriors isn't going to get you there.

Remember this is a business as much as a sport, when you step on an NZFBB stage you are contributing to the federation, the spectators and sponsors and therefore should be eligible for the benefits of such, just as I have an agreement with my gym I train at (certain perks I am privy too) those should not transfer to your gym just because I walk in your door....I have to show loyalty to you and your business through paying my dues...fees...success under your banner, or bringing business to you.

To prove this point, I'm an NZFBB Mr NZ and IFBB Pro, NABBA have never invited me to attend any Elite or International show of these based on these credentials, (like the invites extended to NABBA athletes to attend the Elite show, where Pro cards WERE available if the winner was from NZ- NABBA or NZFBB). And it was Peter Hardwick that first got me involved in bodybuilding with the NZFBB and his gym and has known me for over 20years!!

So it seems NABBA care too!

Thats all I have to say on this subject, it's been discussed on many threads previously, if you support me- fantastic and I do appreciate the HUGE amount of positive support I have recieved from members of this site, especially those texts on the morning of the Aus Pro) - you are the people I represent up there. If you don't support me and think I haven't bought it onstage yet (and the other pros were very respectful of me being there), well, I'm pretty sure I'll live too:)

love the use of willy nilly on this thread, keep it up and use it willy nilly

post-259-14166819006531_thumb.jpg

How can having lots of pro's from NZ be a bad thing? Who gives a shit if we're only a small country, we always punch above our weight in sports and we should be damn proud that we have competitors good enough to compete at an international level.

Bluto, why be such a hater of what Grants trying to achieve, just cos you dont have the balls to step up to the plate like he has. When you're good enough, you're good enough, regardless of age or experience.

And Grant is good enough, you'll be eating humble pie when he places top ten at the ironman :doh:

Well said Soundsgood who gives a shit if were country of four million people we always punch above are weight when it comes to any sport what ever that may be and were dam bloody proud of that plus we have athlets who do well on the world stage for the likes of Moe,Mike D,Jo Stewart etc.If Grant is doing the Ironman in January Grant would be my pick for top ten at the Ironman.

It would be good experience.... but top 10?

This is who has confirmed so far...

Competitor List of Ironman Pro 2009

(updated 12/10/08)

Gustavo Badell, USA

Mohamad Bannout, Lebanon

Mark Dugdale, USA

Daron Lytle, USA

Cesar Mendible-Baptista, Venezuela

Silvio Samuel, USA

Hidetada Yamagishi, Japan

Daniele Seccarecci, Italy

Marc LaVoie, Canada

Ahmad Haidar

How can having lots of pro's from NZ be a bad thing? Who gives a shit if we're only a small country, we always punch above our weight in sports and we should be damn proud that we have competitors good enough to compete at an international level.

Bluto, why be such a hater of what Grants trying to achieve, just cos you dont have the balls to step up to the plate like he has. When you're good enough, you're good enough, regardless of age or experience.

And Grant is good enough, you'll be eating humble pie when he places top ten at the ironman :doh:

yes in 2012 :pfft:

yes in 2012 :pfft:

An what, good things take time, especially in this sport. :nod: An if any ones going to be doing anything fast, it'll be Grant, considering his achievements at only 23.

Although I applaud Grants achievements at such a young age - I'm being honest. Get realistic guys, he is a long way away from becoming a pro bodybuilder. Yes, he's only 23, but hell there's a guy over in Aussie, by the name of Lucky, the freakiest looking physique for a junior, and he even admits that he is not ready yet. Moreover, Lee Priest has added that this young fella isn't ready either - and I do believe, Lee knows his stuff when it comes to professional bodybuilding. Saying that, I do hope he does well in this sport - but top 10 at the Ironman next year!! Umm - he's going to have take some serious supplementation for that to happen. I'm not disrespecting him at all, that's the reality - so if he's prepared for that - more power to him.

yea optimass trey brwere has gone downhilla lot since that video.....

and i agree with bluto, sure grant has potential (so does everyone right ?) and even though he does seem promising... if he was in america or even australia theres no way the judges would even take a second look at him for taking out one of the top 3 in a national/state competition..... yea hes got promise but lets be honest, that no reason to hand him a pro card, how is he a pro when he would look out of place alongside pros on stage?

I think every year you are going to make serious improvement as a pro. Mike D is already substancially thicker than when he last showed. It may take a few years to find your feed but IMO if people only entered shows to win and not to measure themselves against peers, seeking to improve on their last show, then I'm not sure the competitive sport would attract many athletes.

Body building is a sport yes but also a lifestyle .. and a journey. I have always wanted to be pro but my genetics may never allow it. At 6'4 I'm a pretty solid bean pole but in order to be competitive at that level I'd have to be ripped on stage at 120kg+ (My biggest off season 132kg - biggest show 99kg) ....... But if I had the opportunity to even experience a small part of my dream --- I'd take it. Any one that didn't want me to have that experience after the amount of effort had gone in can chew their own tongue out. Life is full of people that tell you, you can't. I prefer to to be the you can type - may be if I applied myself there is a small possibility for me?

If grant has a pro card its not a question of his integrity or credibility - if there is a flaw in the selection process it's not his problem. Everyone should be able to live their dream and not be cut down for it.

Well put Optimass. Can I ask how old you are? Is a pro card definately out of reach for you now?

21 and swole! Trey Brewwer :clap:

Has anyone else noticed Trey appears to be a drumstick short of a Quarter Pack? He may have gained body mass genes, but they definately came at the expense of IQ lol