BEST BB GYM IN CHRISTCHURCH?

nicksmith3

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motivation was never in the equation mate. Les Mills is NOT bodybuilder friendly at all. They are more focused on telling you not to drop the weights, move equipment around, and dont be so agro on the iron.

In other words ' you can train here, you've just gotta be a pansy and wear leatards while you do it'

:D

why do u drop the weights?

Apparently because it makes too much noise and its disturbing to other members. LMAO

You drop weights because it makes noise? Sweet as... :)

The closest gym to concrete & mirrors is probably Gravity Gym in St Asaph St. Yeah its attached to the PLers Gym but they do have some different equipment. Its pretty raw but worth a look. Talk to Craig. Next might be Fitness Canterbury in Wairaikei Rd. The gym is quite spread out between several rooms which can make for personal space & they have the best leg press in CHC. A number of prominent CHC BBers train there. Next would be Criton Cobbers. The gear is pretty old in some cases new cardio area & cheap but attracts the beginner to the game. Plenty of brick & concrete here & attached MA area. I train at Pro Fitness in Moorhouse. A big cross section of members. Good cardio area & huge number of classes, circuit & boxing. Some of the gear is needing to be upgraded but generally its still a big open warehouse with good facilities. Some top BBers train there & it has a good training atmosphere except as GF said its fucking hot in the summer & shit cold in the winter. The new Quest Gym in Ferrymead is one to watch but I am not sure what their gear is going to look like but they are advertising 100 pieces of cardio equipment. Opens mid January.

but worth a look. Talk to Craig. Next might be Fitness Canterbury in Wairaikei Rd. The gym is quite spread out between several rooms which can make for personal space & they have the best leg press in CHC. A .

i disagree, there leg press sucks

Whats wrong with it?

too much friction, its like your pushing up twice the weight and the movement isnt nice and smooth

but worth a look. Talk to Craig. Next might be Fitness Canterbury in Wairaikei Rd. The gym is quite spread out between several rooms which can make for personal space & they have the best leg press in CHC. A .

I used the Leg Press at FC on Saturday, it's great :?

I used the Leg Press at FC on Saturday, it's great :?

i used it ages ago so dunno.... but anyway its a good gym ay although i find there plate sizes quite funny.smaller and fatter

I train out at Lincoln Uni gym, I don't know how it compares to some of the more established bbuilding gyms but it definately more than adequate for trainin for comps and is pretty cheap too (100$ joining then 11.90 per week DD).

During the times I train there aren't too many BBuilders around and from my experience this can either be a help or a hinderance depending on how you are motivated and whether you train alone or with partners.

The parking is free and ample, its 100kmph driving zones with very little traffic to get there and it's gear includes:

2 x BP Benches

3 x Variable Incline Benches

1 x Decline Bench

1 x Hi Quality Pec Dec/ Rev Flye Machine

2 x BP Machines (1 horizontal and 1 seated)

2 x Power Racks

1 x Counter Balanced Smiths Machine

1 x 4 way cross over machine

2 x Lat Pulldowns (1 normal and 1 unilateral)

1 x Cable Row

1 x Tricep and Bicep Cable station

1 x Plate Loaded 45 deg Leg Press

1 x Pin Loaded Leg Press

1 x Leg Extn

2 x Ham Curl Machines( 1 lying and 1 seated)

1 x Calf Raise

1 x Assisted Chin/Dip MAchine

1 x Machine Row

1 x Inner Thigh Machine

1x Outer Thigh Machine

1 x Hip Flexion/Extension MAchine

1 x Butt Blaster MAchine

1x Preacher Bench

1 x Plate Loaded Shoulder Press MAchine

1 x Pin loaded Shoulder Press

DB's up to 65kg's

5 Rowing Machines, 5 Treadmills, 5 Exercycles, 2 Versa Climbers, Spin Studio and a seperate upstairs weights and Boxing Room.

I dont work there so this is just my own opinion of the place, I'm pretty happy with the facilities.

Thats always the way Luigi, The gym you want to train at always seems to be too far away eh.

I'm living in Rolleston so the Uni gym was the second one that I checked out and so far it's been all good. If i'm training early mornings then I dont have any trouble getting resistance training gear as its mostly a cardio/older type dynamic at that time and if i'm training weekends it's fairly quiet anyways so no probs with bench/rack availability.

There are plenty of good gyms in Christchurch but most are 30-40mins away so for me time wise and financially they just dont stack up, However I wouldnt mind paying for the occasional casual visit to Pro Fitness and Chricton just to check out the atmosphere and as a reality check for how hard i'm training versus how hard other BBuilders are.

I currently train alone and have done since my training partner left for the UK about a year and a half ago, so it's occasionally good to check out what other guys and girls are training like and how hard they are going, just to keep up the motivation and keep myself honest. Also for the safety of having experienced spotters around which can make a big difference when going for a PB.

Is that a Fitness Works leg press machine, and it travels on little black rubber wheels? Sometimes those wheels wear unevenly and grip the runners causing friction and sticking...

No its a big Hammer Strength machine. There is little friction in the movement even under maximum loading which is about 16 plates a side.

Is that a Fitness Works leg press machine, and it travels on little black rubber wheels? Sometimes those wheels wear unevenly and grip the runners causing friction and sticking...

No its a big Hammer Strength machine. There is little friction in the movement even under maximum loading which is about 16 plates a side.

well il be going there 2mo so ill check it out maybe i was thinking of another gym :?

Also, Pro-Fitness on moorehouse Ave needs:

1. Later closing times-I mean, 9pm during the week? How shit is that? And they close at 8pm on a Friday!? Whats so special about a Friday? THey close even earlier on Sat and Sun-5:30pm!. It just sucks really. Especially as I pay $23 a week! (I know, I'm a mug!)

2. Air conditioning for summer/heating for winter

2. Some sort of air freshner for the guys toilets, they stink real bad.

3. Mixed changing rooms

Last one was a joke.

1. Later closing times-I mean, 9pm during the week? How shit is that? And they close at 8pm on a Friday!? Whats so special about a Friday? THey close even earlier on Sat and Sun-5:30pm!. It just sucks really. Especially as I pay $23 a week! (I know, I'm a mug!)

3. Mixed changing rooms

Last one was a joke.

Opening times are reasonable. 14hour or so open not to bad

Yes def needs air con!

And f*ck does it smell in the toilets!

3. Mixed changing rooms

Last one was a joke.

Opening times are reasonable. 14hour or so open not to bad

Yes def needs air con!

And f*ck does it smell in the toilets!

Christchurch really does need a decent 24 hour gym.

There is the rugby training gym out in hornby a buddy of mine went to, that was open 24.7...