Horse Meat

BodySculpt

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share some facts and my experience with Horse meat...

Can’t find any precise nutritional information on Horse meat but I know it’s leaner than chicken less fat cholesterol as well I think. Something due to horses being selective grazers. anyways..

I noticed while having three staple meals of horse a day, I became more vascular, leaner I guess and put on a good couple of kilo of lean muscle mass. I was very keen to continue eating horse, unfortunately I don’t have an iron stomach like others and soon got sick of the texture.

PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED (I believe due to the fact it was a Nag or maybe a put down race horse)

The meat had practically no fat (you’d think this was good) - but when cooking it didn’t.. Emulsify the meat it was lumpy and a bit watery.

I couldn’t seem to find a good recipe, tried curry, steak, cooking then blending.. It also had very tough strips of sinew that really had to be removed before consumption. One recipe mentioned chucking in half a block of lard but that defeats the purpose..

Anyway just wanted to mention this as I was really stoked with the results just a pity I couldn’t stomach it.

PROS:

$4.50 a kilo...

REALLY healthy

SOLUTION:

The horses need to be bred for consumption, grain fed etc.. And I can’t see that happening.

feel free to post any good recipes or ideas, still have some in the freezer..

PS: Horse lovers need not reply..

PSPS: slaughtering animals even humanely.. is still kinda sad..

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

where the heck are you going to get horse meat from, and who eats it?

I quite like horses and could never consume one.

On the other hand - give us some roo anyday, I reckon kangaroo is a very lean piece of meat and flavoursome too, perhaps Aussie butcher can sort you out. all about the taste for me!

http://www.calorieking.com.au/foods/calories-in-game-kangaroo-lean-raw_f-Y2lkPTUwNzg4JmJpZD0xJmZpZD0xMDA1NCZlaWQ9NDYzODg1NTkmcG9zPTEmcGFyPSZrZXk9a2FuZ2Fyb28.html

per 100grams

1g fat

22g protien

1g carbs

98 cals

On the other hand - give us some roo anyday, I reckon kangaroo is a very lean piece of meat and flavoursome too, perhaps Aussie butcher can sort you out. all about the taste for me!

But the smell of Roo cooking is revolting, tried it once...over in Perth it's sold as dog meat no-one eats it (except kiwi bodybuilders looking for that 'edge') LOL

Ive tried stewing it, tried mincing it.. still not very nice

I get mine from Whole Body meats in Mangere.

I have some left in deep freeze nicely packaged (bought 70 kilos...) if you really want to try it.

but let me know if its a good recipe :-D

would love to try Roo (Roo are cute too) they'll probably sell it as a speciality meat tho.. there goes the cheap price..

Crocs - Not pests, they act on instinct and I pity those poor bloody tourists that get too close.

But when it comes down to food, yes, even the coat of arms in Australia is not safe when Oats is looking for meat, I'm keen to try emu too, wonder if it tastes like Osterich. mmm, will hunt that one out.

Back to the horse situation, sorry to hijack.

Isn't mortadella from donkey?