where do you buy your supplements from?

swimmer23

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've read on here, and what I've heard from folks who do use bodybuilding.com, it does work out cheaper, but sometimes things get held up in the shipping process...probably just "minor nuisances".

For me, I guess I like to support the local guys - including local companies like Metaphysics. I've found that you can get relatively affordable good quality whey, casein and egg protein in NZ if you do a bit of research.

I thought I'd read on here (but can't find the post) that larger quantities of whey get expensive to bring in due to the freight cost; and that if whey's shipped with other supps, the whole shipment can get held up at importation while the legitimacy of the other supps is checked.

for example lipotropic protein

on the nutratech website it costs $88.50

on bodybuilding.com it costs $42.18(converted from US dollars) + $9.99 = $52.17

biiiiiig difference in price

is it worth the hassle with waiting for postage/customs etc?

I'm not so sure about your calculations, on BB.com the lipotropic protein is US$29.99 and the postage to NZ is US$39.99 totalling US$69.98.

Converting this to NZ dollars comes to NZ$132. It's the shipping that blows the price out.

With our dollar at around US 53 cents, we aren't getting the savings we were getting at between US 70-80 cents a short time ago. Buying nationally has become far more attractive these days.

I'm not so sure about your calculations, on BB.com the lipotropic protein is US$29.99 and the postage to NZ is US$39.99 totalling US$69.98.

Converting this to NZ dollars comes to NZ$132. It's the shipping that blows the price out.

With our dollar at around US 53 cents, we aren't getting the savings we were getting at between US 70-80 cents a short time ago. Buying nationally has become far more attractive these days.

hmm that is true, i forgot about the postage for large things like that

but say i was buying something small - it works out a lot cheaper

There's a few ways to get a good discount mate.

If you see something cheaper elsewhere in NZ let me know and you get 15% off the competitors price.

Members get a standard 5% off, subscribers get 7% off, and if you give me your photo and some competitive goals you'll get 10% off all the freak'n time!

Don't have to be a bodybuilder, looking for cyclists, runners too so any good sporting photo (of you).

Or if you're a PT you....just have a look at the Discounts page ay be much easier :-)

http://www.sportstrition.co.nz/about/discounts.php

There's a few ways to get a good discount mate.

If you see something cheaper elsewhere in NZ let me know and you get 15% off the competitors price.

Oh and pls don't think I'll put the price down just below a competitor just cause someone points out a cheaper price elsewhere and I want to save 15% discounts...unless it's unbelieveably cheaper I leave the prices as they are cause I know people get a kick out of a good bargain.

hmm that is true, i forgot about the postage for large things like that

but say i was buying something small - it works out a lot cheaper

Even with smaller items, I think you'd be very lucky to find things working out "a lot cheaper". Places like nutratech would most likely be cheaper after practically doubling the price of both the item and the shipping, even with a US$10 shipping charge.

Perhaps you'd come off better if you bought quite a few items and combined shipping, I think that's probably the only way to make savings now, just make sure you check the NZ prices first and use a current currency converter like on http://www.xe.com to see if it actually is cheaper, or worth the hassle.

Some of these NZ sites have some decent prices. So Android will always have an extra 15% off the price if you find it cheaper it seems. That's a great deal.

Yeah I grew up on Musashi and had a love/hate relationship with their 'bricks' - that protein bar that was like an old piece of christmas cake and u couldn't eat it without water or you'd gag.

We're just talking to ProActive and Horleys to showcase NZ Products, you'll see the rest of the MuscleTech products stocked, then Musashi could be next, so that could be as late as Feb/Mar next year mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Another dreamer with a website!

the problem with setting up these discount online shops selling protein is that there are no barriers new entrants and inevitably the person who is prepared to make the least money wins so there is cut throat price competition.

TBH its a bit pathetic every man and his dog setting up a website...

android you are wasting your time NZ is too small to operate with your business model - there is no volume to make up for the low margin. besides there are already established competitiors such as punch - what makes you think you can do better then them. People can shop around with a few clicks easily find best deal.

+ you are up against people who get good deals operate from home and dont pay gst (like me) - i buy for myself and top up a few to sell on - get the volume discount from the manufacturers. - android id love to know what discount off wholesale are you getting 7.5% 15% max maybe?? that sort of notional manufacturer discount makes me laugh. no wonder the manufacturers love you guys.

I had a guy come round few days ago took 20kgs of mass gainer thats the sort of volume and buyer i deal with. no piddling around with courier and admin like you internet guys.

anyway thats my rant. as for your being the low price hero with 15% off if someone finds a better price - mate if you took 15% off what i charge people youd be losing money with your tiny margin and discounts.

prove me wrong

give me a quote for 20kgs of mass gain - with at least 26gprotein per serve. then il post mine up so any1 who wants 20kgs of the stuff knows who to see

TBH modandm its a bit pathetic some posting a pointless whinge like you just did. Your comparing a legitimate business venture to your backdoor, "I'll pawn off my extra" bullshit scheme.

Isn't that the beauty of the internet, that any man and his dog CAN set up their own website selling products?

The reason he can compete with punch is that he is offering 15% off OR it will be cheaper anyway. So thats how he would be competing. The profit margin and whether its worth it is irrelevant - the website is still running.

+ you are up against people who get good deals operate from home and dont pay gst (like me) - i buy for myself and top up a few to sell on - get the volume discount from the manufacturers.

Haha, we're you drunk when you wrote this post.

I see you've got a good head for business. GST registered retailers claim the gst back on purchases so it works out the same profit margin whether you're paying gst or not. Plus they get to claim the GST back on all other business expenses - so if Android happens to need a 40" plasma TV for the office he gets the gst back on that plus writes it off at the end of the year as a business expense. If he's operating out of home he probably claims back home office expenses from his tax so claims back a percentage of his mortgage interest, plus he's probably writing off all his phone, internet, power bills etc as business expenses.

android id love to know what discount off wholesale are you getting 7.5% 15% max maybe??

You might only be getting 7.5 to 15% off wholesale because of your pathetic volume but decent retailers can get bigger discounts than that from wholesalers.

I had a guy come round few days ago took 20kgs of mass gainer thats the sort of volume and buyer i deal with. no piddling around with courier and admin like you internet guys.
Whoopdy shit so you sold a few buckets of Horleys or Balance mass gainer - that's not volume. Volume is 20, 30, or 40 guys regularly buying 5kgs protein each plus creatine plus bcaa's plus glutamine. Do that each day and then you're starting to talk a bit about volume.
android you are wasting your time NZ is too small to operate with your business model
Dude, you're the one wasting your time. Android most likely has a business plan and unlike yourself, I would imagine isn't just in it for a quick buck or a fly by nighter. He'll learn soon enough if his business model works or not and then adapt it to suit. At least he's giving it a go and not just sitting at home stroking his own ego.