How to cook red meat

Varven

How do you guys cook red meat ? I traditionally have stuck only to poultry and seafood, redmeat usualy consumed when purchased externally.

I use the george foreman grill a fair bit, makes my life easier.

Furthermore when cooking poultry i trim off visible fats, teh gooey icky sticky white bits. I see huge chunks of "white" in the lamb cuts as well.

Is this bad fat ? Should I cut it off?

Lastly I purchase all my red meat ( only lamb at the moment ) from pak n save or woolworths in those prestored packages , not from the butchers.

Any easy fast cheap recipes welcome.

I sorta suck at cooking, in case you havent noticed from my descriptions so design the instructions for a retard. Please please please give me some good recipes, Im so bored of chicken and tuna.

15 mins a side?! Surely that's beyond "well done", and getting into "dehydrated, tough-as-old-boot" territory! :D

I've been churning out a lot of stews this winter. They're pretty easy, especially when you use pasta sauce as your base! Goes well with rice/pasta/potatos too, so it's versatile.

First, work out how many serves your amount of meat is going to last you.

Cube your meat, chuck it in a saucepan with a bit of oil in the bottom to stop it sticking, and just brown the edges a bit. (Well, we say "brown" - actually they usually go grey).

Cover with pasta sauce (or make your own with tomato puree and onion). Add veges if you want - carrots, celery, capsicum, mushrooms, etc are all good.

Cover pot, and simmer for 30-60mins, depending on what meat you've used - however long it takes go tender, and start falling apart. You'll need to stir it every now and then, and you may want to top it up with water if it starts looking dry.

Once it's cooked, weigh and divide into the required number of serves.

For variations try adding spices, curry, chilli, red wine, anything really. Or, if you're feeling lazy, just use a different pasta sauce. :D

My better half does most (ok, nearly all) of the cooking :wink:

Sirloin steak; --- (fat removed) into a non stick pan with a teaspoon of olive oil.

Start on high heat, then once cooking turn down to medium heat.

Flip regularly.

Takes about 10 minutes give or take a couple of minutes depending on your preference.

She uses a splatter screen on top, as it can spit a little bit of fine spray.

Probably only any good for your higher priced tender meats, as the tougher ones take a lot slower gentler cooking times.

Crock pots set on low and left all day are good for the tough meats.

You can stick all your veges in at the same time with the meat.

Put your veges in first with the meat on top, then pour a cup of soup mix or similar over.

jono's grilling is good if you want even less fat though :)

15 mins a side?! Surely that's beyond "well done", and getting into "dehydrated, tough-as-old-boot" territory! :D

I've been churning out a lot of stews this winter. They're pretty easy, especially when you use pasta sauce as your base! Goes well with rice/pasta/potatos too, so it's versatile.

First, work out how many serves your amount of meat is going to last you.

Cube your meat, chuck it in a saucepan with a bit of oil in the bottom to stop it sticking, and just brown the edges a bit. (Well, we say "brown" - actually they usually go grey).

Cover with pasta sauce (or make your own with tomato puree and onion). Add veges if you want - carrots, celery, capsicum, mushrooms, etc are all good.

Cover pot, and simmer for 30-60mins, depending on what meat you've used - however long it takes go tender, and start falling apart. You'll need to stir it every now and then, and you may want to top it up with water if it starts looking dry.

Once it's cooked, weigh and divide into the required number of serves.

For variations try adding spices, curry, chilli, red wine, anything really. Or, if you're feeling lazy, just use a different pasta sauce. :D

actually its not well done at all. its only just totally cooked. prolly my oven is different than urs

I grill just about everyting, but when I do you a pan to fry or bbq I will leave the fat on till cooked then I cut it off when its on my plate.

I have found cutting the fat off first especialy when grilling seems to dry the meat out too much for me.

Yes the white bits are fat - no blood in them which differentiates them from muscle. Any fat that is solid or semi solid at room temperature is saturated or hydrogentaed so best to be avoided. It should be removed before cooking.

I love my George Forman grill - actually seeing the fat you're not eating is so great!!!

When it comes to fat I've heard the external fat - like the huge bit running round the outside of a rump steak is really bad but the "intra-muscular" fat isn't quite so bad?!?

• 4 months later...

I always buy my red meat in bulk... it actually saves me $$$ in the long run :nod:

Butcher shops have these huge slabs of meat vacuum packed (usually around $20-$40 depending on the quality of the meat) and just ask them to cut it into steak sized pieces for you. Its free and all you need to do is let them know how thick you want the pieces.