half human/half machine - downloading training data...

Android

yeah hard when you didn't see those guys in the flesh like I did. I was a very young guy back then.

We all know how Mike got so big, years of hardtraining and everything that every other big guy does!

I'll look forward to seeing how you go at this years nats. NZFBB I hope!

NZFBB :-)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news HarryB, my misses agreed last night to give me 12 weeks "space" before the comp...this means I'll be living and breathing the preparation away from home, probably get an apartment in the city close to work and the gym.

It's a bit hard on the family but I don't do anything by halves when my mind is set on something, this year's Nats are on and I'll be bringing the best game I can.

WOW you have every bodybuilders dream mrs.

Then again, wouldn't it be better if your partner/family get use to supporting you in the early stages of your bodybuilding goals..by the sounds of it you have big plans. I support'd my ex with his training/comp prep..the only part that was slightly "testing" was the week before comp, Tanning :roll: ..and trying to find where he park'd the car in Sky City underground parking grrr

Valid point but shes not into BB at all, and despises gym time so have to mindful of this.

We send our little girl back to china twice a year anyway while still young so the timings will not be like breaking up a family.

I reckon I just need last 6 weeks not 12 unless she's trying to give me the flick lol :-) will c closer to the date how much of the "plans" get implemented things always change

That's awesome news Android. I think you'll give the open 100+ a good run, be interesting to see if nato or Nolan Smith competes again this year. Dial in the conditioning and you'll be the one to beat!

Nolan went to Oz mate so u should see him competing over there.

Few people would say him and I have similar physiques except he's half a foot taller and so 10-15kg heavier...hope he does back to compete!

Btw you look in awesome shape mate, read your journal often and you can move some iron. Got quite a powerlifter/bodybuilder shape that would win shows as well, u competing?

Thanks man, really enjoy your journal too. I will be competing later this year, in Aus and NZ so might see u backstage.

Pushing heavy weights has actually made me look a little bit blockier than I would like, the muscle bellies get thicker but peaks are lacking, even as I get leaner, and upstairs/downstairs symmetry is way off still. I'm no Sanjeev that's for sure. I like your approach of lower weight, squeezing every rep out to get max value, and fascia stretchung. I am gonna start incorporating that a bit more into my trains.

You can work from home yeah? How about abroad? I hear 12 week training holidays in Thailand are cheap from July-September :wink:

LOL wish I had the time to take hols, I could work from home but prefer the office.

Today was Chest day after 2 days of rest.

Not sure about others but 2nd rest day in a row is less protein than usual not as important to me as training days and the following day.

Awesome workout, totally pumped up by 3rd exercise, I did 3 presses and 1 fly.

First up was flat bench...now I don't do bench for bodybuilding, never have done...I've benched before, but do not consider it for putting slabs of meat on the front of my body. So this would be my first flat bench in about 6 months.

I will do more of it as I am bigger and stronger now.

I warmed up with 60kg and did 30 reps.

Then 100kg for 15 reps.

Then 140kg for 8 reps.

I thought I could do 160kg but I need a few more sessions before strength in this exercise goes up, so backed off to 140kg and did 2 more sets just 6 reps each time.

No pumped chest but felt it deep within the chest pushing those heavy weights for first time in a while.

Next up was incline bench and I didn't really do this one justice. I warmed up on 42kg and then 2 sets of 50kg (max dumbbells at Anytime)...I got sidetracked reading a muscle magazine from 2005 when Dave Palumbo was going to prison. Shameful...that I distracted myself during a workout I know.

So next I put the mag away and jumped onto a seated press with the seat way down low. I warmed up on 1/3 stack and then did 5 sets on 2/3 stack. I was doing 15 rep sets but last 3 sets was too much and by 5th or 6th rep struggling so I did pathetic partial pushes up to 12 reps. I refused to stop pushing basically even though I had nothing in the tank. They really were small pushes from start position to about 3-4" forward...pathetic really but after each set I got up and the pump that followed in my chest was so priceless I took a photo. You can see the chest pumped enough and with reasonable traps so that the tanktop sits off my body, i love this look!

So then rather than end here I wanted to keep pumping the chest up and did cable flyes, from low position upwards...1/3 stack for each of the 3 sets and was 15, 12, 8 reps. not a light exercise but worth every rep imo. Cable flyes get me on the inner and outer chest and really helps me build a 3D chest, one that sticks out in front when flexed.

That was my workout today, tomorrow is Legs, then a rest day on Tuesday before Shoulders on Wednesday...that's the plan anyhoo.

post-2764-14166821845061_thumb.jpg

I have to ask why you even had a magazine with you while you trained? lol...

Is there a 100+ class in NZ? I know we have one here in Aus.

Doesn't everyone read while they train...?

LOL I saw the mag on the counter and wanted to take it home to read so kept it with me for rest of session so noone else could take it.

Yes there's a 100+ class here in NZFBB, the crowd loves the big fellas

Yeah I always find when I watch the shows over here that the best class in terms of depth is the 90-100, used to be the 80-90's but with the inception of the 100+ class the 90-100 was the most competitive.

Everyone likes watching the superheavies though, a 6'+ guy in shape is always a bit of a sight!

Big workout today, Legs as planned.

I use iSatori Morph as pre-workout and last meal before training at 5pm is at 3:30pm, it's a 200gm portion of chicken and sweet white rice today, plus a coke. Also had a Powerade during the workout it was super hot.

I drink a ton of water during a workout, more than 2 litres. My work coleague is a serious Ironman competitor, the kind that works 4 days a week so he can cycle his 150km, run his 20+km, and swim miles... every Wednesday. Then has 3-day Ironman camps in Taupo to live and breathe the training. Their studies show that you lose 22% muscle power with just 1% water loss. And I sweat lots lately in the heat and training hard so it's good to know I've never been lacking water I suppose. Would have continued anyway regardless...but the numbers are staggering, probably come from Aussie Inst. of Sport tbh

First up I did Lying Leg Curls, last time was a Quad-focused workout so this time I was doing more Hammies with some Quad work.

Warmed up with 30 reps at half stack weight, 2 more pins down for 15 reps, then 2 pins from the stack I did 4 sets of 8-10 reps. I felt like I had good muscle contraction power for such a heavy weight for me. Good start to the workout.

Next I did Leg Press and volume'd this with 6 sets of 25-30 reps each with just 100kg...or 5 plates. I had a wide stance at top of plate for inside Hammy emphasis and could feel it stretching as I went close to lockout. By end of sets they were well done!

Walking Lunges outside in the sun..I think I grabbed a heavier sandbag than last time...this one was 25kg.

I did 3 sets of up and down which meant I did like 12-rep sets. I know this is unlike usual high rep stuff when lunging but really felt Quads working hard and wasn't going to do Squats today. Was hot outside would have done another set until I dropped but needed to get out of the sun. Lesser man would have fallen over like in some photos I've seen posted of what looks like people slacking off and resting on the floor! LOL

Back inside and jumped on the Leg Extensions, quick warm up for 30 reps and then down the stack about 3/4 for 4 15 rep sets that really pumped up my Quads more than I expected. Won't be long and my Legs will fill out my shorts entirely. They creep up on the inside as I walk but little more required to fill them out...one more month like this workout I reckon

Finally, Seated hammy curl machine. I did 4 sets at a heavy weight straight off the bat. Last 6 reps was leaning forward to really get the squeeze of the rep going and complete the rep fully. Jumped off hobbling.

Really happy with the pump these got today and am feeding them well tonight. Tomorrow is a rest day, thankfully!

Hope your leg workout was fired up Gum rat

Awesome workout today with Shoulders. Made a plan early in the day what to do so walking into gym was already familiar with my action plan.

Usual ritual of presses first then raises, except today not doing side raises, just saving everything for my rear and front delts

First up was a HammerStrength press machine. Ive never done one arm press at a time so today I did. Ultra-light warmup of 10kg for 30 reps, 30kg for 15 reps, and 40kg for 12 reps. Working up I felt really strong and 40kg each arm is a good weight. Put another 20kg on and got out 2 sets of 7! They were slow deliberate and hard pushing without cheating up the weight. This I've never done before on this machine, rapt...stripped off 20 and did another set for 8 reps.

Next was dumbbell presses and warmed up 20kg for 30 reps. Previous exercise really hit front delts so rest needed some movement. Then 15 reps at 25kg, before picking up the 30kg. I did 5 good working sets of 10-12 reps and felt really good completing each one.

Next up were bent over side raises and used a 9kg for 5 sets, 15-20 reps. 

Finally front raises with plate/s. Warmed up with 20kg plate for 20 reps and I stopped before failure. Then added a 10kg plate and did 3 sets of 15 reps. Done!

Shoulders felt hard-as and solid and have the constant urge to squeeze the hell out of them all the time.

Legs feel worked today but any doms are dulled down, just feel like squeezing them constantly.

Tomorrow is another rest day, then it's Chest and Arms together with an emphasis on Arms. Plan to do my first ever chest workout of no presses, Will rely upon flyes instead, as well as close-grip press and dips for triceps to pump up the Chest.

Legs feel worked today but any doms are dulled down, just feel like squeezing them constantly.
thats a great feeling ... I'm missing it of late.

Hell yeah, am considering borrowing dumbbells so I can do arms at home cause they are feeling hard and in need of a squeeze too :-)

Trained today with my good friend Anapalon for the first time this year, he helped make it memorable

I didn't do as I had planned on Friday. Was supposed to be Chest and Arms but I changed this to Rows and Biceps.

Just felt I haven't ever done a row-only workout before and chest isn't high on my priority until I bring shoulders and arms up to speed. So Shoulders I am doing again this week on Sunday, and Friday the Bis got some attention.

First exercise I picked was a seated row. I did an average grip and the seat was mid-way down. Warm up was 25 reps at 1/2 stack, then 15 reps at 3/4 stack. Did 4 working sets of the stack for 10-12 reps, it's a shame the machine moves and almost tips over when you stack it otherwise I would have added more weight to the stack.

t-bar row next up, the basic setup where you lean against the pad and do the rows. there was 25 on the t-bar already so added a 20 and warmed up with 20 easy reps. The biceps were starting to fill up with the warm-up reps but can't help that.

Another 20 and 15 reps, then another 20 for 85kg. I stayed on this for 3 sets of 12 reps. This is a good weight I can control it up and down. In the mirror I notice when I am pressed against the pad and the arms are outstretched my chest just spreads out and that and shoulders look like a huge pile of muscle. When I pull back with my elbows and squeeze my lats my shoulders pull back and look small...I hate that. Happens to me on shrugs as well. nvm

Next up I did seat cable rows. This was a mainstay exercise for me for many years but now only do it on occasions. So today was that occasion! Picked an average weight of 1./2 stack and did 4 sets of high-reps which as I got tired became a normal rep range LOL. Guy on the other cable row machine was doing the stack and I so wanted to do that but was set on wearing my lats out not use my entire back and arms. Next time I'll probably do that...

Finally last row exercise was a steep incline bench that you lean on like the t-bar, except you have dumbbells in your hands and you row. I use this same equipment and position for lower trap shrugs so the only difference is instead of stiff arm and shrugging, it's bent arms and it's rowing. Warmed up with 20kg and picked 25 for 4 or 5 working sets I forget. I really got a lot from this and could have gone heavier but the 15-20 rep range was worth it I could actually squeeze at the top of the motion...with a heavy weight there's no ability to squeeze it's up and then before you know it it's on it's way down again. Loved this exercise and has the same effect as a bent-over barbell row except with barbell row you're forced to stop pulling back when the bar reached your stomach...with dumbbells you can pull back further and really squeeze.

Biceps were warmed up with that last row exercise so I did what I never do and started with concentration curls! I always supinate my curls, always...this time I picked a neutral grip that was slightly hammer'sh but definitely not. I was using 10kg dumbbells and with elbow against the knee couldn't quite reach 15 reps before lactic pain stopped me. Did other arm and couldn't feel where in my bicep I was hitting with this grip. Next set same again and this time I could feel the muscle soreness coming form the top outer part of the bicep. This grip was perfect for me I want my outer head to be larger.

I did 11 working sets on each arm! After the obligatory 4 working sets of 12 reps each arm I decided to not stop for a rest at all and just figured I could pyramid my way down. With every set I could get out 1 less rep than before so it was like 12,12,11,11,10,10,9,9,...etc.

They were well and truly blown up, on the final sets as I lowered the weight I could either feel the blood rushing into the bicep, or it was lactic acid I was feeling. Either way it was flowing into the lower part of the bicep.

Next up was my last exercise, cable bicep curl with a flat bar. I cant remember the weight it wasnt alot on the stack but I just repped out 20 reps for 2 sets, then just went all out on subsequent sets until exhaustion. Sometimes when I stopped I rest-paused and then did a few more reps. I avoided stalling at the top of the rep because of angle to the cable if you do then ALL the tension comes off. Couple of times I probably did a semi-squat or calf raise to get the curl up.

That left me pumped in my lats and walking out the gym with pretty swollen biceps == one happy dude

Progress in the last 4 weeks has been good for me, quick look at 2 of my largest body parts.

Back:

Quads:

Comments and your opinion on muscle improvements or posing is always welcome.

I'm doing something different in the Relaxed pose compared to the Lat pose because the Lats pop out much wider halfway through the vid...have to work that one out.

Great width and thickness to your back Android. Would be nice to see with no singlet next time, and a rear double bi's would be good too. You're right when u say your lats pop a bit mid pose, you're gonna want to practise that a bit more to hit it perfect on stage. Maybe convert one of your bedrooms to a pose room with mirrors on all 4 walls so you can see your back :grin:

Quads are showing more size and separation. Again more poses would be cool next time, throw in a abs n thigh pose, side chest so we can see those massive hammies. Keep squeezing those quads cos it's helping!

All in all looking good man! Have you decided on which will be your first comp of the year yet? How long you will give yourself to diet down?

Cheers soundsgood, I can't do an abs shot I'm 15% bf it'll look ... wrong. Can't wait to see the Leg Separation when I do start cutting I'm sold on the volume training that I did over the last 2 years, all that squeezing looks like it paid off but never know...that's the risk with 'bulking', you think you're growing everything and in proportion but unless you're lean when you do it you're just guessing a little, a little is common sense and feel but there's some guesswork in it for sure.

Am going to pick the show closest to the NZIFBB Nationals, might have to fly down to the South Island for the 8th Oct show.

Today was Shoulders with my training partner at Anytime Fitness. Walked out with sore-as shoulders, aching sore in a good way. Shoulders for me hurt differently to other muscles, the pain reminds me of standing on the parade ground in Waiouru for 3 hours, at attention, shoulders back no slouching allowed. Man after 3 hours they ache...that kind of aching, deep in the muscle.

We started on dumbbell presses. 20kg was the warm-up and I stopped repping at 20 it was way too light. 30kg next and stopped at 15 reps was a good 2nd warm-up weight. Then we picked the 40kg and I did 3 working sets of 12 good reps each. Really happy with that and could have done 45kg or more with assistance so will try that next time.

Next up we did rear delts with cables. Setting it down to the floor and crossing over the cables. No need to use hang grips we just grip the cable ends, bend-over, and rep out. We did 4 sets of 15 - 20 reps and not a heavy weight at all. First set was too heavy for me I could feel myself using arms to help me lift. Think it was just 3 plates on the stack!

Next up we did seated side lateral raises, I've never sat down to do these before. Warmed up with 8kg dumbbells and then did sets on the 10kg ones, always trying for 20 reps. Final 2 sets was 10kg until exhausted and then the 8kg until exhausted. 6 sets all up from memory was a good amount of work for shoulders.

Finally did dumbbell front raises with 12kg and repped out 30 first time each side. Then 20, then 15 reps.

That was 2nd Shoulder workout this week. My biceps from Fridays workout are very sore and i have to stretch out my arms every so often for relief. Didn't affect the Shoulder workout.

Tomorrow have Legs planned and aim to do Leg Ext, Leg Press, Smith Machine Squats, Hammy Curls in that order, and all with high volume...that's the plan.

Not really talking about food in this journal anymore, but today my protein meals were like this:

9am WPC shake (x2 scoops with milk)

10:30am 250gms steak

12:30pm 250gms steak

1:30pm 185gms tuna in oil

2:30pm WPC shake (1 scoop in water)

3:30pm ------- workout ---------

4:45pm WPC shake (x2 scoops in water)

5pm 185gms tuna in water

6:00pm 250gms steak

8:30pm 185gms tuna in oil

10pm WPC shake (x2 scoops with milk)

I don't normally eat so much tuna from the can, today my excuse was a little bit of laziness and convenience, once I'm in my new house I will settle in and 2 of those tunas would have been 500gms chicken instead

Today was Legs day and the start of volume training Legs again after a break.

Wouldn't say it was high high volume but was a start. Rest between sets was about 1 minute but not timed, just quicker than I do when im doing heavy weights.

I started on the Leg Extension and picked 1/4 stack weight and started extensions with the intention of doing as many as physically possible and ignore pain. I got out 30 reps easily and so picked 50 as my target, not stopping until I reached it. I had to stop at 30 and let the lactic acid pain subside before swinging up another 7, then pain again, rest, just another 5 and rest (its about 3-5 secs) then 5 more and a few more to get to 50. Cool 1 set done.

I set the weight at 1/2 stack and did 7 sets of 15 reps each. The first set gave me a clue of the weight and reps I could do so once my mind was set on doing 150 reps it was just a matter of going through the motions. Getting off the seat and walking around each time you can feel the quads pumping up in size.

I dont know how I did 115 reps about a year ago for first set but I'll work up to a number like that

Next up was Leg Press and I just put 2 plates each side and with feet high and as wide as possible on the plate I got out 50 reps. Last 10 I had my hands on my knees and helped slightly as the Legs were weakening.

Then added another plate each side and decided to get out 150 reps total, so it was 6 sets of 25 reps each. After 20 reps sometimes I had to lockout for a rest-pause and continue, or put hands on my knees just to assist.

Last set I went all out and got 30 reps in.

Smith Machines were taken and all squat racks as well so I did Lying Leg Curls instead of a squat movement...I was quietly relieved because 300 reps had blown up my Legs and exhausted my Quads.

I went down some stairs and had to balance myself as Legs at this point were very weak. A lesser man would be puking and rolling on the floor like some photos Ive seen on here...at least I think so, I hope so.

Leg Curls I picked just under 1/2 stack weight and repped out as much as i could. As much as I could turned out to be 20 reps. Felt just right I could squeeze the Leg up and feel the Hammy working without assistance from glutes, calves, or swinging. I did 7 sets to make it 140 reps total and a minute between sets. The last few sets on the last few reps I did swing it up and feel the calves coming into play but am happy with that.

Finally, seated calve raises my favourite machine for calves, and I started and finished with 40kg on it. Did 30 reps, then 20, 20, 20, 20, and lastly after a 2 minute break talking to someone about calf training, 30 reps.

Walked out of there and as I crossed the road I was conscious of the fact that I couldn't run to avoid traffic in case I fell. This was a great Leg workout.

My test for growth has never been the tape measure. I've always judged growth by standing with legs together and seeing the gap between the Legs get smaller. Now I can place my heels just over an inch apart and the calves are still touching each other on the inside diamond. And now I cannot get my Hammys to part fully unless I stand with Legs about 3 feet apart. I've always tested this way it's a little bit strange but it's easy to tell when I have grown. I find the day after Legs they must absorb alot of carbs after volume training and gain size, then as the week progresses they calm down a bit...until the next Leg workout.

Anyhoo...rest day tomorrow to eat and grow. Biceps still sore, shoulders not so

the pain reminds me of standing on the parade ground in Waiouru for 3 hours, at attention, shoulders back no slouching allowed. Man after 3 hours they ache...that kind of aching, deep in the muscle.

Yeah but it's better than the pain of hitting the ground half-way through the parade :lol: Never happened to me, but I witnessed it a couple of times on basic...man that parade ground was an unforgiving surface for those that fainted :doh: