half human/half machine - downloading training data...

Android

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woke up this morning and hobbled out of bed to the bathroom.

My calves are too tight and my Legs are aching. Wasn't my best night of food I had a tin of tuna in oil when I got home at 5pm and a roast for dinner (beef), then a tin of tuna in water at 10pm (185gm tins of course).

Yesterday I had a mishap...I dropped some rice on the floor at work and bent down to pick it up and my trousers split open :oops: They're really loose around the waist but not loose enough in the legs - sweet!

Left work earlier than normal discreetly LOL

Today is Chest day and I'll do Triceps as well.

Have set myself an unsurmountable goal of incline dumbbell pressing 60kg today. Don't know if I can do it have only gone as far as 55kg a few exceptional times but it's something I will try.

Have replayed the effort in my mind a bit and I think it's going to be like this: 25kg, 35kg, 50kg, 60kg

First 2 are warm-ups, then I need to get up a big enough weight to be close to 60kg but not too big that it exhausts me. That's the plan anyway

Do you put any sauce or seasoning on it mate :shock: lol do you not find it hard to eat it if its plain?

Nothing but plain food during the day for me mate.

I get asked that question on a daily basis at work and the answer is the same, its not hard to eat it plain.

I have tried seasoning things but then 4 meals at work each day and you get sick of the seasoning soon enough.

Other reason is I don't want to cook 4 meals in the morning, I want to get the chicken and rice done, packed, and out the door. I have a family and other stuff going on so the luxury of planning 4 nice meals, or even standing over the oven to sprinkle shit on the chicken...nah.

Chicken, rice, water to chug it all down with that's how I do it.

I have a normal meal at night time, beautiful flavours, all kinds of veges and things so I look forward to that each day.

Tonight's dinner....

post-2764-14166821783755_thumb.jpg

Chest workout today was mammoth, I haven't done a heavy session like that in a long time on chest. I went to the gym early was started by 3:30pm just left work it was too hot there.

My goal was to do 60 kg dumbbells and I surpassed that!

I warmed up on a seated press and did 25 rep sets and then another 2 sets a bit heavier to get the feel of things and get the blood pumping through my chesticles.

Over to the incline benches and I set it middle of the road high, but not low, def an incline. Got the 25kg dumbbells and repped out 15 easily, then grabbed the 35kg ones as I had predicted I would. These felt a bit heavier than normal but I got 12 out without too much effort.

Then the 50kg ones and these felt like lead to me. I always swing my own weights up and rule of thumb is if I can't then I don't bother pressing with them. I rest them on my knees and kick them up into position.

Anyway the 50kg felt heavy and I had doubt in my mind, or at least thought I would struggle with 60kg....I did 8 reps of 50kg and stopped.

Went to find the 60kg and what do you know, they don't have them. They've got 57.kg and 62kg! wtf

So I got the 62kg ones out and asked a random guy I've seen before in the gym to spot me. I got them up on my knees and clenched them real tight ready to kick them up into position but my feeling was I wouldn't be able to do it, and people were starting to watch me.

So I asked him to lift one up for me. I got the right one up in the air myself and could feel the blood draining from my head already LOL. He fumbled a bit and finally we got the 2nd one up. I repped out 5 with him under my elbows and I was done.

Exhausted as I put the big weights away and went back to the 50kg. But even after a couple of minutes break these were heavy my arms were totally poked. I repped out 4 50s before failing.

I had a rest and got another 4 reps out and put them away. I felt drained of energy to be honest.

So 2nd exercise was seated chest thing, I can't think what it's called right now. Whatever...I did set after set lowering the weight to 4 plates before the stack and did another 3 sets. My chest was popping out so I was done and my arms were weak.

I then worked on my triceps. Did the seated tricep pushdown machine, another seated machine so i could rest. Worked 4 sets and then cable pushdowns with the v-bar. This one I did 6 sets of for 12-15 reps.

Finally I did a custom exercise I personally like. Imagine a tricep kickback, but standing upright, and then cross that with a shoulder side lat raise but don't use your shoulders.

I learnt this from a chinese PT, and it gets the absolute outer part of the short tricep head so that when you stand front on your triceps pop out the side. Usually triceps are behind your arm and side on they look great, but I like them popping out the sides and this exercise feels like it works that.

Will photo the result oneday when I get body fat down and show you what I mean.

I am physically and mentally drained tonight, need rest, need food

Cheers both,

Def full range def hard work, def not every time :-)

Today was Shoulders and I was dreading it after a chest workout. My Legs still ache and calves too, Back has recovered well.

I started on smith machine and warmed up with 20 each side, 25 reps and another set at 20 reps.

Put a 10 on each side and did 2 sets before I felt warmed up and my chest stopped hurting from being stretched. Added another 10 each side and did 3 good sets, all to the front of body, right in front of my face.

Next was a plate loaded HammerStrength machine for front press. Warm up and then 40kg each side for 3 sets.

Pressing movements done.

Did a side lat raise machine to warm up and went heavy for last 3 sets and 10 reps each. Next dumbbell side raises I did 5 working sets of 12.5kg quite strict. Then seated bent over ones for rear delts.

Finally front raises with 15kg plate telling out 15-20 reps 5 times.

Feel like my next workout should be Back with a focus on dead lifts and trap exercises based on my previous Back workout. Likely to be Sunday, 6 days after the last one.

That sounds brilliantly brutal bro!

Do you prefer the Smith to barbell press or is it just changing it up?

Changing it up, arms got a hiding yesterday so figured free weights wasn't going to let me work the shoulder press movements very well. Will probably work Shoulders before Chest next time and do same, trash the Shoulders with heavier weight and have to go slightly easy on Chest.

That's pretty much how I do things

Today was Back, it's recovered nicely from the Back workout 6 days ago. Last time I did alot of Lats work so this time was lower and inner back right up to the traps.

An hour before training had consumed 200gms chicken and 150gms oats. Then 30 mins before had a glass of coke and 3 scoops of Jack3d, ready to go!

Started off with deadlifts and at Anytime there is no way to keep the bar off the floor without using a platform to stand on and get the bar to come to just under the knees. The rack supports are too high.

So deadlifts off the floor, but I don't drop it or bounce it off the ground.

Warmed up on 60kg, then 100kg, then 2 sets at 140kg, and finally 2 sets at 180kg.

Next exercise was to hit inner back. 2 cables are 1m apart and you face it, bend over a bit and pull back, keeping your elbows up. This can't be done heavy and you only want to use the inner back to pull the cables back.

We did 6 sets of 20 reps each where we could and the last 2 sets were like an endorphine rush for me. The back squeezing feels sooo good when you get volume in there.

Finally shrugs using the hammerstrength shrug machine. Got pretty heavy was doing minimum of 15 reps each set starting on 2 20kg plates each side, then 3, then 4, then ... 5 each side. Did that last weight twice and that was enough. I put the plates on the lower spikes first this is heavier than loading the top spike. The last plate had to go on the top spike cause the bottom one only holds 4 plates. My training partner tells me if I am using Legs to help, so consider these strict shoulder shrugs.

That was it. Felt different doing NO lat work for Back but really happy I hit the other areas today.

Feel like doing Legs tomorrow, will have to do Squats as last time was mainly Leg Press and Lunges.

Food is good this weekend, yesterday ate 6 chicken breasts plus a tuna at night. Today was chicken, steak, and tuna

Finally I did a custom exercise I personally like. Imagine a tricep kickback, but standing upright, and then cross that with a shoulder side lat raise but don't use your shoulders.

I need to work the short head on my tris more, so I pricked up my ears here. Is this the one where you do a cable kickback across the front of your body? I'm trying to picture your description, but the "shoulder side lat raise with no shoulders" is throwing me a little.

I was reading some of your older posts, and came across this..."the severity of the DOMS will be a good indication of how well I have fed my body today"

I was just wondering what the relation is between DOMS and feeding your body?

Thanks.

Lee

Sure

Firstly I gotta emphasise...the DOMS are not food related.

But during my time at uni as a natural I found a direct correlation between being anabolic and the bite that the DOMS can have.

As a student meat meals were less frequent, food was more restricted and supplements were a luxury, literally! I had $100 a month to spend on supps and chose protein powder or pre-workout supps. My DOMS were killers. I would spend 3 days where it was totally uncomfortable to bend my arms. I would straighten them and bear the pain of the stretch for just a few seconds relief before the bicep would pull tight again.

I managed to offset this pain on months that I brought Glutamine as my monthly supplement. It dulled the amount of pain but of course didn't stop the DOMS.

My DOMS are predictable when I get them. If they arrive the very next day then I know they are not going to be too severe. But if there is a days delay before they come on then I'm in for a good 4-5 days worth. A 2 day delay happened after my very first volume squat session and I was crippled for a week.

I have learnt that if I eat well in the following days after a session that induces a good amount of the DOMS I am spared excessive pain. And if I take a rest day and eat well then even more is spared.

Don't really know the science behind it I just know the correlation between the severity of my DOMS and either Glutamine supplementation or continuous supplies of food over the days following the workout.

I need to work the short head on my tris more, so I pricked up my ears here. Is this the one where you do a cable kickback across the front of your body? I'm trying to picture your description, but the "shoulder side lat raise with no shoulders" is throwing me a little.

Oh cool, will try and describe without pics.

There's two ways and both hit it the same.

Try a side lat raise with one dumbbell, palms facing inward, elbows slightly bent, without using or allowing your shoulder to move at all. You won't get the dumbbell up very high because you're not using your shoulder, but you should feel a small amount of tension on the short tricep head. Now as you raise the arm up to the side do the kickback action squeezing the tricep head that you can feel is slightly tensioned. You can squeeze the hell out of it, lower and repeat. Kicking backwards slightly is normal and fine but the more backwards you go the less tension goes on that small outer tricep head. It's the sideways action without using the shoulder that does it.

Let me know how it goes, my training partner doesn't "get it" so don't worry if you don't either

I was reading some of your older posts, and came across this..."the severity of the DOMS will be a good indication of how well I have fed my body today"

I was just wondering what the relation is between DOMS and feeding your body?

Thanks.

Lee

Sure

Firstly I gotta emphasise...the DOMS are not food related.

But during my time at uni as a natural I found a direct correlation between being anabolic and the bite that the DOMS can have.

As a student meat meals were less frequent, food was more restricted and supplements were a luxury, literally! I had $100 a month to spend on supps and chose protein powder or pre-workout supps. My DOMS were killers. I would spend 3 days where it was totally uncomfortable to bend my arms. I would straighten them and bear the pain of the stretch for just a few seconds relief before the bicep would pull tight again.

I managed to offset this pain on months that I brought Glutamine as my monthly supplement. It dulled the amount of pain but of course didn't stop the DOMS.

My DOMS are predictable when I get them. If they arrive the very next day then I know they are not going to be too severe. But if there is a days delay before they come on then I'm in for a good 4-5 days worth. A 2 day delay happened after my very first volume squat session and I was crippled for a week.

I have learnt that if I eat well in the following days after a session that induces a good amount of the DOMS I am spared excessive pain. And if I take a rest day and eat well then even more is spared.

Don't really know the science behind it I just know the correlation between the severity of my DOMS and either Glutamine supplementation or continuous supplies of food over the days following the workout.

That is great to read as I have found the same thing - my diet directly effects how bad I get DOMS (and of course how well I can work out). I made a thread about DOMS and had someone tell me it can't be related, so I wasn't sure if I was just imagining it!!

Awesome journal by the way, its inspiring to read and all the little details you have been posting are really appreciated - it really helps to see how those who know go about training/diet.

Reverse one arm tricep pulldown :nod: > done straight after chair dips. The supine grip pulls the whole muscle around to the back of your arm during contraction. Need to make sure you lock your elbow by your side and stand close to the pulley so you get a full range of motion.

Great back Android - when you look at the floor during a lat spread you lose a bit of thickness in the traps (may just be the angle of the camera) - If you do the opposite it will excentuate your traps when fully flexed - also when relaxed stance. It's a great muscle group to have with your kind of thickness.

I managed to offset this pain on months that I brought Glutamine as my monthly supplement. It dulled the amount of pain but of course didn't stop the DOMS....................................

Very interesting, thanks for that, i too suffer from bad DOMS, 2-3 days it lasts, the worst is after legs, sitting down is a killer!

Ive never supplimented Glutamine as i figured the amount in my protien shakes would be enough, for instance ON 100% Whey has "Over 4 grams of Glutamine & Precursors" so having 3+ shakes a day i should be getting about 12+ grams of glutamine.

How much were you supplimenting and when?

Thanks again.

fuking impressive bro. back is looking mint!

cheers :-)

Great back Android - when you look at the floor during a lat spread you lose a bit of thickness in the traps (may just be the angle of the camera) - If you do the opposite it will excentuate your traps when fully flexed - also when relaxed stance. It's a great muscle group to have with your kind of thickness.

Will give it a go and see if I have traps :-)

Very interesting, thanks for that, i too suffer from bad DOMS, 2-3 days it lasts, the worst is after legs, sitting down is a killer!

Ive never supplimented Glutamine as i figured the amount in my protien shakes would be enough, for instance ON 100% Whey has "Over 4 grams of Glutamine & Precursors" so having 3+ shakes a day i should be getting about 12+ grams of glutamine.

How much were you supplimenting and when?

Thanks again.

Following a hard workout then 50gms a day in addition to the amount already in your protein powder for the next few days. Don't have to take 50gms every single day unless you're a monster in the gym and induce DOMS for every body part every single day.

Did Legs today and my intention was to Squat but all racks were taken so I changed things up. I concentrated on Hammies.

Started on the Lying Leg Curls and warmed up with 35 reps at 1/3 stack weight. I just took it easy and got into the zone here, wasn't too heavy and squeezed at the top.

Went down to half stack and did a good 20 reps.

3rd set bit heavier and stayed on that for 4 sets, last set I felt tired of squeezing and stopped at 8 reps, must have been enough for that exercise.

Squat racks all gone so I went on a horizontal hack squat machine, like a lying leg press but in the lying squat position.

Half stack weight and did 36 reps first off and stopped when lactic acid was kicking in, I changed feet positions at 20 reps to closer space between them.

Dropped the weight and did 2 sets of 20 reps, then down to 3 plates from the bottom for 4 sets of 15 with good rest between sets and changing feet positions each set. The difference in feeling between this and free squats if that the outside quad doesn't get worked on this. I moved my feet around with every set

With a bar on your back and pushing up the last few inches up you can really feel the outside quad working, on this machine I couldn't get that part of the leg firing. I squeezed at the top but with no real weight/ gravity in a lying position I couldn't quite make it work. Nvm I got the inside of the leg working and the tear drop as well.

Next up did the standing leg curl and did 4 good sets working down to a good weight for me. Nothing flash about this one.

Next up did 5 sets of standing calf raises with the same weight. Les Mills has a big stack on this machine and I just use about 1/4 stack. My calves are pretty good, based on years of just doing seated calf raises and changing the feet positions with every set so standing calf raises are new'sh for me but essential for overall development.

Finally, did the seated leg curl machine for a cool down you just sit there relaxed, do your reps, rest, more reps, rest...good last exercise to do.

Nothing great here but I did set the machine up so I didn't go from fully extended legs I just wanted to curl/ squeeze the reps out kinda like doing a bicep curl without fully extending your arms at the end I suppose.

Brought some good WPI powder yesterday was Gaspari and filtered Isolate not Ion-exchange Isolate. Had the usual 2 scoops and 50gms glucose in a PWO shake in the car.

Dinner was chicken, potatoes, carrots, avocado, kumara, and tomato. Having beef at 9pm for my final meal. Lately most of my final meals have been tuna at 9:30pm but I want good food after a Leg workout.

Tomorrow is going to be Shoulders