half human/half machine - downloading training data...

Android

last night was Middle Back and Biceps and it turned out a bit weird at the end for me.

I still have a cold so workout is not as much as usual in terms of exercises and time in the gym.

We started off with Shrugs using the HammerStrength machine. Warmup was 30 reps with 20kg each side, then a set of 40kg, then up to 60kg each side then did 3 good working sets 20,15,12 reps

Next we started on bent-over barbell rows I used under-hand grip. Warmed up with 10s each side for 30 reps. Slapped a 20 on each side for 80kg and felt good for 12 reps, did this twice. Got some straps and slapped another 20 on each side for 120kg and did 2 more 8 rep sets and last set dropped down to 80kg and repped out another 6.

Incline shrugs were up next and we did 4 sets of these with 25kg dumbbells, really got some good middle trap work done. By the end it was impossible to squeeze the back to lift the weight anymore.

Biceps next I did the incline supinating curls where you lie face down on the incline to isolate the bicep. Worked up to 20kg and did 3 good working sets which hit the spot, hurt, and felt good afterwards. In between sets I stand about 2 foot away from a solid post in the gym and lean forward putting my hands out on the post. Then I do like press-up movements for about 20 times. This blows up the bicep after a heavy set of curls you can feel the blood just move towards the arm. I do it for the feeling it's like an endorphine rush in the bicep.

Once we'd done those it was time for preachers and so far everything seemed normal I was standing waiting for my training partner to do his set and I was pumping out hammer curls in the meantime.

Great he finished so I jumped on. Did about 5 sets while he chatted to someone I never got off the preacher curl machine then as I was doing a heavy set I leand into the pad a fraction more and tensed up and all of a sudden my lower abs cramped up on me. I don't mean "oo how uncomfortable, cramps" I mean "f*ck! I can't breathe, I can't stop the cramping pain, it isn't going away".

I leaned back slightly and just rode out the cramp for over a minute and I could feel hormones being drained from my body somehow, like when you get kicked in the nuts tbh. You get that limp feeling like you're drained.

The cramp subsided and I sat there to afraid to move and I started feeling ill, light-headed and my face went pale. Not a good trip.

I took a walk and we decided it was time to go. Probably the scariest gym moment for me. Right up there with the time blood dripped from my nose as I was doing a deadlift PB but this one was painful and I felt helpless to ease the 1 minute of pain.

I know Optimass will read this and think "harden' up Princess"...I laugh now and say that's my abs done for the week :-)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breakfast everyday is 200gms of oats and a double-serve shake, I'm adding 10gms of glutamine at the moment too.

My day time food today and every day going forward look just like this....

post-2764-14166819536965_thumb.jpg

1kg of meat (beef or chicken) and a 1kg kumara (just brought more they each weight 1kg)

Nighttime is 1/2 kg of fish and green veges in two meals. With the last meal of fish I have a single-serve shake with another 10gms Glutamine then bedtime.

post-2764-1416681953711_thumb.jpg

I then only have to adjust two things when tweaking carbs, the oats or the kumara...simple enough. I usually change the time I stop eating it in the day first, and adjust quantities last as quantities affect body size am I not one for restricting too much food.

I have stopped taking any additional fats since getting the rash but will buy some peanut butter today.

:clap: mate i wish i cud find the coin to eat as well as u. althought then id need a personal cheif to follow me round and cook all my meals( cus i dnt cook) :shifty:

funny just had this conversation with my mate last night, he won Novice Mens at the Auckland show last weekend.

I told him to use bodybuilding as a way to better his and his families own life by striving as hard as he does for a comp, in his work life.

Always look for better opportunities but more importantly prepare yourself for them. It's great if a position higher up becomes available but no-one gives better positions to people who aren't prepared for them. Personally I get more out of changing jobs than promotions. It's less stressful to look for better jobs while you are still employed and earning coin, you're less desparate and you can tell them you want heaps $$, if they says no sweet, if they say yes even sweeter.

Anyway this guy is going to go and do a Business Diploma next year, work after hours part-time and study during the day at Tech.

I did the same thing, left a 30k job to go back to study, went to Uni, and earning more than 5 times that this last tax year as a software developer.

For those 4 years of study (1 polytech, 3 auckland uni) I stayed between 84kg and 88kg but grew a good shape. Supplements was $100/mth budget so protein powder one month, NO-Xplode or Trib/ZMA the next month, but never together :-(

I would buy 14 cans of tuna and a tray of eggs a week with shopping and that was my 'extra' protein.

Now I wipe my ass with $20 bills and ..... LOL kidding it's a joke my training partner says about me, he'll be reading this

seriously, if you have the ability to train and diet for bodybuilding then you already have shown you have the skills that can take you higher in a job, take you and your family to a new level, just try it.

:clap: mate i wish i cud find the coin to eat as well as u. althought then id need a personal cheif to follow me round and cook all my meals( cus i dnt cook) :shifty:

his meals look always look so nice huh? im glad i still live at home tho :pfft: otherwise it would just be canned tuna eggs and probly mince or something fried :P

funny just had this conversation with my mate last night, he won Novice Mens at the Auckland show last weekend.

I told him to use bodybuilding as a way to better his and his families own life by striving as hard as he does for a comp, in his work life.

Always look for better opportunities but more importantly prepare yourself for them. It's great if a position higher up becomes available but no-one gives better positions to people who aren't prepared for them. Personally I get more out of changing jobs than promotions. It's less stressful to look for better jobs while you are still employed and earning coin, you're less desparate and you can tell them you want heaps $$, if they says no sweet, if they say yes even sweeter.

Anyway this guy is going to go and do a Business Diploma next year, work after hours part-time and study during the day at Tech.

I did the same thing, left a 30k job to go back to study, went to Uni, and earning more than 5 times that this last tax year as a software developer.

For those 4 years of study (1 polytech, 3 auckland uni) I stayed between 84kg and 88kg but grew a good shape. Supplements was $100/mth budget so protein powder one month, NO-Xplode or Trib/ZMA the next month, but never together :-(

I would buy 14 cans of tuna and a tray of eggs a week with shopping and that was my 'extra' protein.

Now I wipe my ass with $20 bills and ..... LOL kidding it's a joke my training partner says about me, he'll be reading this

seriously, if you have the ability to train and diet for bodybuilding then you already have shown you have the skills that can take you higher in a job, take you and your family to a new level, just try it.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Good on you Android, this post actually motivated me...

Money has always been the speed bump in my way to progress more in bodybuilding, but now bodybuilding is also making me to wanna do better financialy so i can continue bodybuilding and be able to do it properly, not half arsed. And in turn i be making life easier for my family and be able to give them more :)

Keep up the good work brother...

Training coming along nicely Andriod - good strength gains to recently. Time to up my dose :pfft:

LOL cheers - you competing at the NZFBB Nats too?

No not this year - comp season starts again 2010

:nod: We are setting up the over 110kg class ... :D (And I'm bringing my 4.5 pack to the party :lol: )

After a 2-day break over the weekend I am still getting over the cold. Still got a sore throat and tonight have the urge to cough all the time. Nothing bad just a dry cough but the stupid urge I just can't stop *cough cough* ... see!

After work I got home and downed a can of baked beans and a protein shake as my pre-workout nutrients. My weight was 114.5kg tonight and I expect that to steadily drop from this point on...slowly.

Legs tonight and I was amped to do a 10 set 10 rep squat routine with bodyweight but I fell short. Squats are below parallel.

I warmed up with 2 sets of 60kg 20 reps in preparation of the onslaught.

The following sets were all 100kg, 10 reps, short rest period (as long as it takes training partner to do his 10 reps).

I made it through 7 sets! It was tough after 4 sets and the Legs were not used to the constant barrage of stress in the same parts of the Leg, same weight etc.

Could have done more but I was a bit bored and not to diss the weight or the concept as my Legs were wobbly afterwards. Next time I'll use a belt as my lower back needed support in the last few sets.

I seriously found it hard to bend over and pick up my things (we left the squat rack with a mess of weights around it which I rarely do, I'm pretty conscientious with weights).

Next up we did Leg Extensions and just aimed to drain the Quads completely. Took 4 sets to do that: 20, 15, 12, 12 reps

Finally we did 4 sets of standing leg curls: 25, 15, 12 12 reps. Last 2 sets were heavier and really poked my Hammies which the Squats had already started doing.

Post workout was the usual 50gms glucose and double-serve protein shake.

Chicken breasts have just cooked and I will have 200gms now and 200gms before 10:30 bedtime.

Was one of my greatest days in a while, apart from my aching Legs....well because of my aching Legs.

Yesterday's 7 set Squats followed by exhausting them on Leg Extension and Lying Leg curls really had an impact. I ate as promised my 2 chicken meals last night before bed and had my usual high protein diet all day with Kumara and some shakes but still got the DOMS coming so very very happy! :-D

Tonight was Chest and Triceps. Gym was way to busy and hindered my options just a little but we got by.

Chest machine first, a seated press and I did what I did with Squats....7 sets. I squeezed the hell out of the chest and after 8 reps even with an average weight the pain made me stop. My training partner reps them out and found it too light even getting 10-12 reps out just to give an indication of the difference between squeezing and not. I think there's a famous bodybuilder who just used his own muscles and squeezing to build his physique, well I think you still need weight but I truly believe you can back off the weight, squeeze harder, and still only manage no more than 8 r so reps. Those 8 reps will be better quality than 8 reps of super heavy.

Next up was another machine, sill no benches available to use! Seated slightly incline press, slightly front delts too. We did 4 working sets of good weight here, less squeezing more heavy.

Triceps next, a seated tricep pushdown machine and got a good 25 rep warmup. I like this exercise you lock your elbows in and just push those handles down...again....and again....and again. 4 sets later and they're actually pumping up fast tonight.

Cable pushdowns next with the bent bar. I always stand upright and do what people call strict pushdown, PTs tell their clients keep the back straight and do full range of motion. Well in the weekend I watched a ShawnRay and Kevin Levrone video and they say lean into the cable and let the elbows stick out, pressing downward. Really got a big pump on and the triceps merged into a blob on my arm, that's the way I'll do them for a while now. Bad form? Yeah right

Skullcrushers next with the e-z-curl bar. Straight up 15kg plates each side for 12 reps. Then slapped another 10kg each side for 60kg skullcrushers, was a bit heavy as I only got 7 reps out so back to 15kg plates and repped out another couple of sets.

Finally, cable kickbacks high rep (25 per set) set after set. Must have done 5 sets last one I did until failure. Left the gym feeling great usual PO and downed a 200gm chicken breast, got a tine of tuna in oil lined up for 10pm and a scoop of glutamine before bed.

Have found out some interesting things about myself today. Kind of had the feeling but am quite sure now after happening to me several times now.

When I go heavy my recovery takes longer and affects my CNS. I get a cloudy head the following day/s. I have to eat well for several days before I feel growth happens.

Whereas when I do more workload/ higher intensity or higher volume training my CNS is fine, recovery is shorter, and the next day as I eat carbs I can feel the muscles soaking it up and expanding. I know this since my trousers are now getting too tight for me. Today as I got through the day eating they got tighter and tighter and I'm sure I'm not imagining it.

Conclusion: stick with high volume training for now

Found out something else today.

The big guy at the Auckland champs in the red tshirt 3 sizes to small for him (is he Darren?) is going for the NZFBB Nationals perhaps. He's 130kg+ and probably about 12% bf wow hard to keep that size a secret!

This is going to be the biggest line-up of heavyweight competitors for sure and at least 3 are hoping for a chance at a pro card I'd say.

If Darren (I think that's his name), Mark Anderson, Nato, van Lent and any others turn up on stage the Open class is going to be full of the biggest guys in the sport.

I just hope the smaller natural guys aren't put off by this and start to entertain the thought of trying to win in NABBA since the big guys are moving to NZFBB.

just chuck 500grams of tuna in you blender with a few scoops of protein.

i think hes trying to get food in him not out of him :pfft:

LOL part of me wants to try it...but the other part says nah ah

I tried this.... and.... never again :puke: :puke:

The big guy at the Auckland champs in the red tshirt 3 sizes to small for him (is he Darren?) is going for the NZFBB Nationals perhaps. He's 130kg+ and probably about 12% bf wow hard to keep that size a secret!

This is going to be the biggest line-up of heavyweight competitors for sure and at least 3 are hoping for a chance at a pro card I'd say.

If Darren (I think that's his name), Mark Anderson, Nato, van Lent and any others turn up on stage the Open class is going to be full of the biggest guys in the sport.

I just hope the smaller natural guys aren't put off by this and start to entertain the thought of trying to win in NABBA since the big guys are moving to NZFBB.

Darren made Grant look small. Couldnt believe it :shock: Grant is huge himself

IMO Andriod - you are going to have to rely on your proportion and symmetry to take out a title this year. You will be out-massed by a couple BUT there are lagging bodyparts of note from the photos i've seen of your likely competitors. Let's not forget conditioning. You better have the best pharmacy in your back pocket as you will need to come in "ultra sliced" to counter your lack of mass. If you can come in with the best conditioning and the best proportion you will do very well i think (depends what's flavour of the year with the judges)

IMO Andriod - you are going to have to rely on your proportion and symmetry to take out a title this year. You will be out-massed by a couple BUT there are lagging bodyparts of note from the photos i've seen of your likely competitors. Let's not forget conditioning. You better have the best pharmacy in your back pocket as you will need to come in "ultra sliced" to counter your lack of mass. If you can come in with the best conditioning and the best proportion you will do very well i think (depends what's flavour of the year with the judges)

It's what I hear quite often and have to agree with you. Can't beat them on size and will fail trying. Best condition, best symmetry.

I guess everyone is trying to build best symmetry unless they've just come from trying to get as big as possible (then they're leaving it up to the gods).

I've stopped trying to get bigger overall for a little while now and switched to contest-mode where I work harder on the parts which will hopefully make my overall package look better.

Have to agree Pete from what I've seen as well there's still room to sneak in and capture the gold.

That would be wicked to watch also including some great match ups as well Mark Anderson and Nato,Van lent and that 130kg plus dude as well

Tonight was Lats, just Lats.

I totally pwned this workout and love splitting the Back into 2 workouts. A whole hour on just Lats gives you an incredible feeling.

I had 1kg of prime beef mince today for my daytime meat intake and it may have helped, along with the redbull at the start of the workout ;-)

First up was a HammerStrength machine, it's a lat pulldown (no cables) and you can pull the arms down independently or together. After 2 warmup sets of 20 and 40kg, 30 and 20 reps, I stacked 60kg each side and did 4 good working sets of 8-10 reps. Last set was rest-pause and do each arm at a time to squeeze out every last rep. This machine with alot of weight on it really pulls on the Lats which is good to build up the Lat tie-ins and make them look wider and longer.

Off to the obligatory cable lat pulldown machine we're ll familiar with. After a warmup set of 20 reps I picked a good average weight and did 4 working sets of 12-15 reps, sitting quite upright and pulling down with my elbows to really try and get the outer lats doing the work.

Next up was bent-over dumbbell rows. 30kg sets and partial rows really. The bent-over rows can really work the inner back when you lift it up high and squeeze. I skipped this part and just worked the weight up to my chest with the lats. (Think I did the right thing, this is instinctive training and was an unplanned exercise, it felt right so am happy with it).

Next up and it's a seated row with a funny angle of arms and cables. Did them one arm at a time and pulled back just far enough but not so far back that I used my middle back/ lower traps, that's for the other Back workout later in the week.

Felt really good and wide tonight so switched to shoulder shrugs. I'm getting these done in both Back workouts so in poses like Lat spread and bicep shot they still rise above and are well and truly visible. My traps are like my calves they can take a beating and respond well to it with growth. I did 6 working sets on a shrug machine.

Lastly as I was leaving I jumped on a lat pulldown machine that has arms instead of cables and I did these leaning forward, so kind of like doing them with the bar behind your head (a big no-no these days) but with no bar and just grips to hold this one seemed right for me.

That was it, Lats done and really happy with my look in the mirror. Did a double-bicep shot for a friend and I like the width that I still have when I lift my arms up,. With average Lats they seem to disappear when you lift your arms up...not anymore :-)

Was Arms tonight.

My Legs are still sore from 4 days ago when I did the 7-sets of Squats - oh yeah! Also sore has been my outer lats and triceps/ biceps too.

I've been eating just under my 1kg of meat (beef mince 4 days, chicken 1 day) for work hours (still another 1/2kg fish at night) and less carbs so likely to be combination of stepping up the volume of training and lowering the food slightly. I'm not 'dieting' but I am reducing the excess food that helped me to bulk up.

Anyway Arms and I remembered to pop two panadols :-) Had a Redbull as I walked in the gym and halfway through I grabbed a MiZone, plus my water bottle.

Started the workout with a 110 rep set of tricep cable pushdowns with the v-bar. I thought this would be a warm-up but I liked the weight and did 2 more 25 rep sets, and lastly a 50-rep set. Same weight just different rest periods hence why the amount varies. First 3 sets it is lactic acid pain that stops me, last set it was muscle exhaustion.

Switched over to single-arm cable curls. 1 plate on the stack (no kidding!).

First set I got 30 reps out before pain stopped me going further. The rest between sets was just how long it took me to work the other arm. Reps for the following sets went down to 15 eventually and I think I did 6 sets in total with the last set being just 10 reps.

The less reps you can do the shorter the rest period so the quicker you hit the muscle again. This concept works for me when doing single-arm anythings.

Next up was cable kickbacks, just 3 sets of 20 reps for each arm.

Quick go at skullcrushers with a mate, x2 40kg and x1 50kg and x1 40kg sets, 15+ reps each set.

Then 4 sets of dips, and I haven't done these for like 6 months so...just 10 reps a set :oops:

Seated dumbbell curls next with 10kg, did these simultaneously and got like an endorphine rush in the bicep where with every curl it felt amazing! no lactic acid pain, just numbness! I love it when this happens my sets were 15-20 reps and gradually dropped to 10 reps, same weight the bicep exhausted completely.

Back to tricep kickbacks and just 5kg dumbbells. Did 3 sets each arm and called it a successful workout. Lasted a whole hour :-)

Legs tomorrow where I hit Hammies and calves and glute tie-ins, then Shoulders on Sunday, going to be freak'n awesome!