half human/half machine - downloading training data...

Android

Hammies and Calves tonight, got 2 exercises done to death for each and happy with the strength I had.

Worked the standing leg curl machine first. I usually go up to 30 on the stack at the most. Started on 20 and did 2 sets of 20 reps, then a set at 30 for 15 reps. Then 40, then 50 (1/2 stack) for 8 reps. Final set was drop-setted as 7 reps just isn't enough workload.

After that I did lying leg curls and worked down to the stack! Did 2 sets at the stack and drop-setted this as well. Haven't done the stack for ages must be splitting Legs that helps.

Seated calf raises next for a few sets, then I wanted to get into standing calf raises mostly. I did 6 sets of calf raises at the weight where I could only manage 15 reps each set.

Overall happy with this workout, and yesterdays Chest workout is starting to hurt. There was a delay so I expect tomorrow is going to hurt more and that makes me so happy. Dumbbell pullovers have really hit the mid, lower, and outer chest but upper chest feels just fine so far.

Food-wie I have been on 1kg beef during the day and 1/2kg Hoki at night with plenty of shakes. On white rice again got tired of peeling kumara, and been adding another 200gms of oats after work and before the workout. Still no carbs after dark, bloated look has gone and I am sitting on 111kg.

Life is good!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious - how do you cook the kumara that you peel it? I just brush mine and grill them...saves that mess and fuss :)

I boil it TFB.

Kumara chips or grilled/baked like you say is delicious and great way to add oil to it too...what do you do with the skin, do you eat the inside of the grilled kumara?

sounds yum just reading about it I just happen to have some kumara here will let you know if I try it :-) cheers TFB

Yesterday was Back (lats)

Got this concept off a competitor of mine hope he doesn't mind but will see if splitting Back into 2 workouts works. There are so many different angles and exercises for Back that I think it has merit. Am now able to do about 8 exercises every week for Back this way...impossible to do in a single session.

Lat pulldowns first, I picked a reasonable weight I could just squeeze out 12 reps with and did 6 working sets, sitting upright pulling down with my lats and elbows. On my other back day (centre back) I will do pulldowns but lean back and use middle of back to squeeze the weight down...much lighter weight!

Next up was a seated machine, a seated row I guess the arms on it gave it a close grip feel. Did 6 sets and kept the lats 'turned on' on the pull and the release part of the exercise.

Then up to the Hammer Strength machines. A seated overhead pulldown machine which you can do with 1 arm or both. I did both and strict, this machine is so well made you can give your lats a proper stretching at the top of the movement.

Finally another seated row machine, can do 1 or 2 arms together I did 2 this time. Using 1 arm the body is inclined to twist and move weight off the lats and the middle back takes over ... I feel it does for me. This is another close-grip machine and perfect for lats.

Today is REST day. I have increased my carbs slightly as I want to grow a bit more. Will add carbs to one meal after dark and see what happens....

Last night was Shoulders and Biceps.

I have been eating more carbs over the weekend and the body feels filled out.

Now with every meal I drink sugar (Coke or Glucose in water) followed by complex carbs and protein, then I have a shake.

Monday at work several people commented on how I have grown - woah that was quick!

I just hope I can lose fat and stay looking this full. I missed taking a photo last night but the workout was so enjoyable I didn't think about it at the time.

My muscles were as tight as a drum, strong, and full of energy.

First up was rear delts on the pec deck. Warmed up with 30 reps, then more weight and 15 reps.

I felt strong enough to do 4 plates off the bottom of the stack for 8 reps and did this twice before trying the stack but I couldn't even lift the stack off the ground LOL so backed off and did 4-plates short, drop-setted and did another 10 reps at 1/2 stack.

Next up was machine shoulder press and we went quickly down to the stack. Got 3 good sets out for 10-12 reps. Hard work and was sweating but felt strong...did I mention I felt strong...? hehe

Side lat raises next with HUGE 10kg dumbbells, the sets were in the 20-range. Strict as but last few sets I struggled and swayed a bit to help, squeezed out 16 they were starting to really exhaust the delts.

Last shoulder exercise, front lat raises with plate/s.

I grabbed a 25kg and 15kg plate.

Started each set with 25kg and did 20+ reps. On the 3rd set I put both plates together (40kg) and did 6 good reps, dropped the 15kg and continued, then dropped that and picked up the 15kg for more.

I was sore, exhausted, sweating and happy! Big lift for me to hold and raise 2 big plates.

Biceps were warmed up already and the preacher curls first-up hurt like crazy.

I rest-paused after 12 reps and squeezed out another 4 to make it 16 reps for each set that we did.

Then we did seated incline dumbbell curls, supinating the wrist. The stretch was great and the biceps blew up for me and the lactic acid pain was starting to go.

Lastly I did single arm cable concentration curls. Lost count of the sets probably 7 or 8 for each arm some sets 12-15 reps, some heavier for just 6 reps.

I left the gym feeling bigger than when I walked in and really stoked at 8:00pm

Usual double-serve post-workout shake with glucose in the car.

Got home and had a tin of baked beans and a serving of beef straight away (8:30pm)

Later had another serving of beef and some kumara (10:00pm)

Before bed was double-serve of Caesin protein and an extra 10gms of BCAAs (10:30pm)

I have been putting the meat I take to work during the day into one big container rather than splitting it up.

I split it up so I could keep the rest of the meat sealed until I needed it but now am sick of doing so many dishes when I get home!

Nice workout Android. Next time as a final delt exercise try supersetting the front plate raises with dumbell side laterals - i've been doing this recently and after just two weeks has really brought out the seperation in front and side heads - also good vascularity across the front.

How's the body comp coming on now - current weight and bf % ?

Nice workout Android. Next time as a final delt exercise try supersetting the front plate raises with dumbell side laterals - i've been doing this recently and after just two weeks has really brought out the seperation in front and side heads - also good vascularity across the front.

Nice shoulder workout Android try supersetting Standing lateral raises with bent over lateral raises you will get a great pump in your delts.

2nd June (my last Shoulder workout) already did that combo so won't do it again for another few weeks but thanks anyway Pete_S

Weight is same, guess the b.f dropped a couple of % as bloated look has gone since. Feel I am on target and stoked with current shape, would say I've improved beyond what I thought was possible and will squeeze in more improvement over the coming month.

Got a trip to China next month for 11 days which will I lose some condition but will view it as a REST and come back hungrier and harder for the final 8 weeks. Probably do alot of my cardio over that period of time.

Yesterday was Quads, 3 basic exercises, perhaps 4 if you include the warmup but I don't.

Warmup before the Hack Squat was some Leg Extensions, get the knees warmed up and some blood into the muscle.

Hack Squats are known to put alot of pressure on the knees, I assume it's because you can load up more weight than you can with a bar on your back...don't know but I always take precautions.

I worked my way up to 4 plates each side and did a 2 sets at this weight for 10 and 12 reps. Each rep was deliberate, pause at the top to squeeze the Quads, and down again. Really paying attention to breathing as well I still hold my breath on the downward but I breath normally all other times.

Wore a weight belt and if I had my knee straps I would have done 5 plates each side. Next time will be Squats with a bar so def. use them then.

Leg Press next, worked up to 4 plates each side and pumped out 21 reps a set. Final set drop-setted, my training partner walks around and removes a plate while I am still pressing so final weight is 1 plate on 1 side of the machine and I am up to about 50 reps.

Exhausting, pumped, and training partner likes to embarass me out loud with the 1 plate I am having difficulty pressing, especially if people hadn't seen me press previous plates they do look a bit stunned :-) All a good joke and keeps our spirits high.

Finally Leg Extensions, I couldn't do the stack my Quads were poked but 3/4 stack was 8-12 reps. Got out 5 good sets with minimum rest in between and left the Gym with pumped-up Quads.

PO shake and got home 8:30pm and ate twice. Straight away a tin of baked beans with 250gms of chicken.

Then a tin of creamed rice and another 150gms chicken.

Then...a double-serve Caesin shake before bedtime at just on 11pm.

I had to stay up later than normal to eat and finish the food so I slept in an extra 30mins this morning.

Today is REST, but yesterday was a good inner Back workout.

I've split Back into 2 areas and this was the Inner Back day. This time I started at the top and worked down the centre of the Back.

First up was Traps. Shrugs machine of course and after a warmup got straight into 5 working sets of 15 - 20 reps to bring them up. I get more pump and height from Traps when I let the weight pull them downwards than when I shrug upwards.

Then incline shrugs, warmed up with 20kg dumbbells and then 4 working sets with 30kg dumbbells. Again trying to get 20 reps out but this was tough. Lying face down on an incline bench is hard and shrugging is hard work, it's tough getting the middle traps to do the work and you can feel shoulders trying to help.

Next one was a laugh, 3kg dumbbells! This you lie face down on a flat bench and arms outstretched lift them up just b y squeezing the inner back together. Tough work and 3kg was just the right weight for 15 reps per set. Looks funny walking around with 3kg dumbbells though.

Next was seated row machine with wide-grip. Really just about the movement and feeling the middle back doing the work for me. 5 working sets here.

Finally it was 3/4 deadlifts. Just kept adding 20kg each side and finished up with 5 plates for a 3 reps @ 220kg. Next time I will use a weight belt and my straps but was happy with how it felt not just the weight. This was instead of Hyper-extensions which I'll do next time instead.

cheers Optimass :-)

I uploaded a new video of my Back progress on YouTube.

I tipped the scales today 100gms short of 114kg so I'm catching ya!

I've switched to big eating this last week, no holds barred, carbs after dark, an extra tin of creamed rice during the day with usual food as well. There's very little fat in a tin of this and mostly sweet carbs and a little protein.

I also have the equivalent of between 7 and 9 single protein shakes a day on top of 1.5kg of meat.

Really happy with the progress made on my Back and filling in the middle traps. Splitting the Back into 2 areas has made a huge difference. There's a good layer of fat smoothing it all off but I think the size and width is pretty good so far and lats are coming down further for me too.

I'm pumped and ready in a few weeks to start cutting for the comp!

just caught you comment on triceps and neck on pull overs ...

I have both shoulders and head on bench - just about finding the right position. Shouldnt hurt your neck anyway.

Triceps will engage if you bend at the elbows during the movement - I lock my armss with a slight bend and do a slow eccentric to ensure I can hold the lock.

Keep doing them though - shouldn't take long to add another 10 - 20kg to the move.

just caught you comment on triceps and neck on pull overs ...

I have both shoulders and head on bench - just about finding the right position. Shouldnt hurt your neck anyway.

Triceps will engage if you bend at the elbows during the movement - I lock my armss with a slight bend and do a slow eccentric to ensure I can hold the lock.

Keep doing them though - shouldn't take long to add another 10 - 20kg to the move.

will do Optimass. I found after that workout my upper chest wasn't hurting like my mid and lower so it's probably not a staple exercise for me. Will try those positions next time and see how it goes, cheers!

missed posting yesterdays workout of Chest and Triceps. My food intake was more interesting though. Felt like I had a hole in my stomach after the workout at 8pm so I cooked and ate 750gms of chicken between 8:30pm and 11:pm LOL haven't felt like that before.

I have noticed since I split Back and Legs and workout 3 days on 1 day off I don't feel as tired or worn down. This might help appetite not sure yet.

Today was Hammies and Calves.

Did more sets of lying curls than I've ever done in a single workout - 11 of them 8)

Warmed up with 1/4 stack and did 2 sets of 20 reps, deliberately squeezing at the top and feeling the Hammy. Then it was 6 sets of 10 reps with 3/4 stack weight. 10 reps was all I could do and rest between sets was less than a minute. So after 100 reps in totoal I decided to do 3 more sets of 15 reps and used single leg curls (lighter weight of course!). I could really concentrate on the muscle and every time between sets that I stoood up I could feel my inner thighs touching each other more and more as the Legs pumped up.

Next up was standing leg curls, just 3 sets with a light weight and 15 reps each. Trying to feel the Hammy lft the weight again as always. Lower back was hurting (muscle tired feeling) but wasn't too bad.

Then I did a Hammy-Glute tie-in exercise where you push a leg behind you, supersetted with standing calve raises. Finished off with seated calf raises in the 20+ rep range with 50kg.

Walked out of there with pumped Legs and can feel them starting to seize up - sweet.

Mad Butcher today had $12/kg chicken breast no-skin so got x8 1kg packs for my meals at work and will go and buy x5 1/2kg Hoki fillet bags tomorrow for my night time meals next week.

Tomorrow is Back (lats only) so am looking forward to trashing my Lats over an hour-long period, heaven!

alright - Back today and just the Lats!

This hour wasn't long enough I could have done more. I did deviate from the plan slightly towards the end I admit it but still it rocked!

Lats, nothing but Lats....so had to start off with the mother of all exercises, the Lat pulldown. I don't do pullups btw, I'm getting too big and my biceps swell up after just one set which tells me it's too heavy. I will do them as I cut though I promise, no excuses.

Pulldowns, after a warmup set of 30 I picked a good weight where I could just get out 10-12 reps. Felt like stopping at 10 most times :-) I really concentrated on pulling down with my elbows, a slight pause at the bottom of the movement hardly noticeable, and controlled up again. Last few reps are always uncontrolled on the way back up...it happens. I did 4 working sets.

THen a seated row machine, like the cable row but with mechanical arms that allow you to pull back higher than normal. Close grip so can really use the lats on this one. 4 sets of these and they were swelling up on me under my arms - I love that feeling!

Next I was ready for a HammerStrength machine for lats. You sit in it and pull down on some metal arms and this one gives you a great stretch. I did alternating arms mostly, sometimes together then finish the set with alternating...whatever my arms could handle as they tired first.

Then I did 3 sets Dumbbell rows, this is imo still a lats exercise, it's mechanically still a close grip one if you look at it, you slide the weight past the side of your body. But usually as we get to the top of the movement squeeze the inner Back. I skipped the squeeze and just used it for keeping the Lats pumped, just 30kg dumbbells.

Then I decided to a middle back exercise I saw David Henry doing, and he has a wicked Back! It's a cable crossover thing and when i did it a little light went off in my head! This exercise for me pinpoints the middle and lower traps! The very muscle group I have tried to target, and although this wasn;t a Middle Back workout I am glad I tried it. Bingo here comes a wicked Back in the near future.

Finally (yeah got alot done today huh), I deviated again from 'the plan' and did some Shrugs, I feel in my heart my Traps are like my calves, strong already and can take a beating twice a week :-)

Best back workout I've had in a long while, left feeling bigger than when I walked in.

It's supposed to be a REST day for me tomorrow, will contemplate a Tricep workout followed by some Cardio...will think about it during the day and see how I feel. If my Hammies pull up or my Back starts aching I will REST, but if I am swimming in enough protein and carbs to starve off the recovery pain I'll take the opportunity to hit Triceps twice in a week 4 sure.

REST day yeah right! Went and did Arms today and finally I managed to remember to take x2 panadol first.

Watched a Levrone video (the 'old' Levrone, not the lamo new one) and just did the same exercises he did, this saved me dreaming up anything today and was a good break from 'thinking'.

Straight bar curls first up, worked up 20kg, 30kg to 40kg and did those for 3 sets and 8-10 reps. Nice long controlled ones, bit of pain but could handle it and the pumped up really easily. No pre-workout drinks but took a coke with me instead.

Standing alternate dumbbell curls next. Really squeezing each side, concentrating hard on the arm being worked and working 15kg, 17.5kg and then 20kg for 3 sets. By now the bicep was pumped and numb, no pain at all I could trash them all I want and nothing but muscle failure would stop me!

Hammer curls, still standing, still alternating arms. Little different I didn't pass them across my body, instead curled up to shoulder and squeezed. The squeeze felt extremely good, like an endorphine rush for me. This I can't achieve without panadol the squeezing brings on lactic acid. Awesome bicep workout.! Last set I didn't stop until i had done 15 reps each arm, I was doing more at the end of the workout than when I started LOL

Triceps next and overhead dumbbell extension is my fav exercise I'd dropped for a while but did again today. worked up to 22.5kg and got 8-12 reps out on each arm.

Then did close-grip barbell press (e-z-curl bar) and 50kg, sometimes supersetted with more extensions too.

Finally some dips, and my Triceps were just poked so bodyweight was only able to get 8 reps out, pathetic but still good they were poked that much.

Got home and my arms measure 19" now when pumped up.

I might get another 1/2" in 4 months which takes me so close to my ideal size of 20" for the show after all :-) this is one happy Android!

Quads last night and I hit a P.B and was totally done after just 2 exercises.

Squats were started with a 20 rep warm-up of 60kg, then 15 reps at 80kg. From there I did 8 reps at 100, 8 at 140kg, and finally 4 at 180kg!

Leg Press next and we warmed up with 120kg and then did 20-rep sets at 160kg. No record-breaking weight my Legs were like jelly already.

Was really surprised that Squats took nearly 30 minutes to do last night. Just big rests between the 5 sets obviously but that's alot of time

In all was a monumental effort and my head this morning is still cloudy just like when I over-train. I ate Hoki fillets when I got home and cooked 300gms of chicken to eat at 10:30pm. Slept in until after 8pm really need my rest more today than any other day.

I questioned to my training partner the use of going so heavy where I use every muscle in my body to push the weight up. Will not do that heavy again soon but think it is necessary to change it up and shock the system...I hope :-) in comparison I usually do 100kg squats for x4 15-20 rep sets for muscle growth.

I'm poked