Shin Splintsss

vracula

Yo man ive just got shin splints. I play soccer and do alot of running.

Go see a physiotherapist (physio south for example). I'm seeing them now.

Buy some anti-flammatory gel and pills. Stop playing basketball for a month or so. Wait for those damn shin splint pains to subside.

Anyway, the therapist will tell you all this. How are they now anyway?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The physio won't tell you anything different from the advice you get here - unless you get it for free, then don't go. Its not worth the money.

The only treatment for shin splints is rest.

There are preventative measures though, which have already been discussed.

The physio won't tell you anything different from the advice you get here - unless you get it for free, then don't go. Its not worth the money.

Thats bullshit. you need more than rest.

I have cut down playing ,i only play once a week now,and im have also given great importance to the lower legs in the gym,I got these skins socks (till the knees) they are preety good would recommend to anyone whose lower legs seem to fatigue preety quick.Im taking this slow and easy at the mo.also got some insoles for my basketball shoes to lift the arch,the combined effort seems to have improved things for me.and i also spend some time everyday stretching the calves and shins everyday now.trying to improve my overall flexibility more than anything else.weight training seems to stiffen thing's up from experience.I already visited a Physio and i got the same info about RICE and posture and all that important jazz.

Well please explain to me what other treatments there is available?

Anti-inflammatory pills and gels are fine for short term relief but will not work long term. The muscle needs time to recover.

Because, in my experience, the only thing you can do (other than using methods to prevent them) is to rest. Even stretching and developing the muscle are preventative measures.

Well please explain to me what other treatments there is available?

Anti-inflammatory pills and gels are fine for short term relief but will not work long term. The muscle needs time to recover.

Because, in my experience, the only thing you can do (other than using methods to prevent them) is to rest. Even stretching and developing the muscle are preventative measures.

Lol sorry I was a bit harsh. Yeh you are right, rest is the most important thing. I havnt played soccer for 2 weeks now, or done anything with my legs like running etc and the pain has got better. Then again I havnt tried playing footy recently so I cant say if the pain is any better in that area.

No worries.

Just in my personal experience (also from soccer!) i tried heaps of different things, from stretching to anti imflammtories, and the only thing that really healed them was rest.

However I found that if I warmed up properly and stretched them out fully before playing I tended not to get them much.

No worries.

Just in my personal experience (also from soccer!) i tried heaps of different things, from stretching to anti imflammtories, and the only thing that really healed them was rest.

However I found that if I warmed up properly and stretched them out fully before playing I tended not to get them much.

:nod: same here,although i would recommend working out your shin muscles once the pain is gone,it has seemed to help me.f*ck i hate shin splints,if shin splints was a guy i would punch him in the nuts like 50 times.

No worries.

Yeh. From now on I'm going to take my legs more seriously and look after them by doing girly things like applying ice packs to my shins after every game just incase, even if they don't hurt. I will buy those oxygen leg warmer things from rebel sport also.

Shin splints are the shittest thing I've ever had wrong with my legs. A right bastard!!! I'm started trianing for a premier league team but have had to have 2 weeks off so far to rest my shins. Dont think they will pick me into their team now. F*ck you shin splints!

oh yeah, what team?

What are those oxygen leg warmer things??

Halswell in CHCH. Doubt I'll get into them now because of my shins. Oh well they're not the only team in the league.

Not sure what they were called, but one of the Rebel Sport guys was like hey you should try these out for leg fatigue or whatever. Im sure they were about $80 or so. I'll definately get some.

here goes just to confuse the issue a little, without a proper diagnosis it is easy to confuse the pain of shinsplints with the pain of stress fractures, and also from the pain of anteria tibialis compartment syndrome,

all of these complaints get better with rest but all of them have acute diferences in the proper methods of treatment,

i am working on getting a more indepth answer 4 you, bare with me :)

i have a client who was mis-diagnosed as having shin splints buy a physio and is now on a waiting list for surgury for cronic compartmentsyndrome he has been told he will as good as have to re-learn to walk, he also had stress fractures and whilst they were healing the comartments were not.

will post a more difinitive discription later

here goes just to confuse the issue a little, without a proper diagnosis it is easy to confuse the pain of shinsplints with the pain of stress fractures, and also from the pain of anteria tibialis compartment syndrome,

all of these complaints get better with rest but all of them have acute diferences in the proper methods of treatment,

i am working on getting a more indepth answer 4 you, bare with me :)

i have a client who was mis-diagnosed as having shin splints buy a physio and is now on a waiting list for surgury for cronic compartmentsyndrome he has been told he will as good as have to re-learn to walk, he also had stress fractures and whilst they were healing the comartments were not.

will post a more difinitive discription later

Thanks. I feel much better after reading that......Lol. It better not be anything worse than shin splints otherwise my season will be over before it starts.

as promised

Shin Splints: Generic term used to describe a variety of pain that occurs in the front of the Tibia.

Includes:

Muscle trauma (chronic exertional compartment syndrome)

Bone trauma (stress fractures)

Chronic exertional compartment syndrome:

Uncommon exercise induced condition that causes pain in legs/ feet

Usually in experienced athletes participating in repetitive movement sports ( running, fast walking, rugby, soccer tennis or biking)

Pain usually begins with activity then progressively worsens throughout exercise and resolves with rest- (few minutes to hours) taking longer to resolve with time

Symptoms include:

Aching, burning or cramping of leg

Tightness of leg

Numbness, tingling or weakness of leg

Foot drop

WHY?- Compartments within the leg contain muscles, nerves and blood vessels. These compartments are contained by a thick layer or fibrous tissue called fascia. The normal job of the fascia is to contain all the tissues in place. This fibrous tissue is inelastic and has minimal ability to stretch.

Exercise or repetitive muscle contraction causes the pressure to build up within the fascia. Because the fascia can’t expand the increased pressure can not be released and compresses the nerves and blood vessels that also run with in the fascia. Compression of the blood vessels reduces blood flow to the muscles- reduces blood flow leads inadequate oxygen supply and damage of the muscle begins (expressed as pain much like the pain of a heart attack). Compression of the nerves leads to tingling, numbness or weakness of the muscles that those nerves supply.

TREATMENT:

1- Conservative treatment: rest, stretching, orthotics, massage or variation of exercise

2- Surgery- this allows the release of pressure either by a fasciotomy- which involves cutting open the fascia or fasciectomy which is removal of part of the fascia.

Stress Fractures:

Micro fractures of the bones of usually the Tibia ( lower leg) or foot. Due to repetitive high impact (basketball, tennis aerobics). Associated with increases in activity level

Pain occurs earlier with each successive work out. Pain increased with activity but persists with rest- Long periods or rest are required to resolve pain

With progression specific areas along the leg ( or foot) become painful to touch.

Risk factors include doing high impact sports, being female with abnormal or absent periods, sudden increase in activity ( particulary military recruits required to march) high or flat feet or osteoporosis ( malabsorption syndromes, lack of menstrual periods)

Exertional compartment syndrome Stress Fracture

Muscles/ fascia Bone

Seasoned athletes/ repetition Increase in activity

Starts with exercise and resolves with rest often 1st pain after exercise and then occurs earlier and earlier with each successive workout and persists with rest

Tender points along bone

Pain, tingling, burning, numbness or Pain

Weakness or foot drop

Surgery most useful txt to be able to Rest only treatment

continue exercise

how did you manage to do that? (working those 'shin' muscles)

Cos the only thing I really did was; put a thick bit of elastic round the end of my foot and press against it, causing some resistance. The same sort of motion as a calf raise.

calf raise is not the way to go,shin splints are also caused by a muscle imbalance between you shin muscles and your calves so strengthening your calves more might make matters worse

this is what i do

walk around on your heels and try to keep your front foot from touching the ground ,kind of like like stopping the front of your feet from slapping on the ground

also i stand with my back against the wall and just do toe raises(note i said toe raises not heel raises,keep your heels down and raise your toes do a couple of sets till you fatigue your shins)

also i sit down in front of a cable and pulley machine (same machine you use to do tricep extension).

i lower the attachment and attach a handle to it (the one you use for single arm cable curls) and then put your foot through it and pull only your toes towards you (like toe raises but your legs are now horizontal and they got weight resistance) ,i do a couple of sets with this as well.

I hope this has made some sense.

it's an experiment by me and i have already started seeing some improvements with shin muscles.

please let your legs heal first,slow down on your training .there are no guarantees but at least your doing something about it other than just getting frustrated.

good luck buddy we are going through the same damn thing,so lets conquer this bitch!! :twisted:

and another important tip is spend time stretching those shins and work on the flexibility of your ankle.

as promised

Shin Splints: Generic term used to describe a variety of pain that occurs in the front of the Tibia.

Includes:

Usually in experienced athletes participating in repetitive movement sports ( running, fast walking, rugby, soccer tennis or biking)

Pain usually begins with activity then progressively worsens throughout exercise and resolves with rest- (few minutes to hours) taking longer to resolve with time

Symptoms include:

Tightness of leg

Foot drop

WHY?- Compartments within the leg contain muscles, nerves and blood vessels. These compartments are contained by a thick layer or fibrous tissue called fascia. The normal job of the fascia is to contain all the tissues in place. This fibrous tissue is inelastic and has minimal ability to stretch.

Exercise or repetitive muscle contraction causes the pressure to build up within the fascia. Because the fascia can’t expand the increased pressure can not be released and compresses the nerves and blood vessels that also run with in the fascia. Compression of the blood vessels reduces blood flow to the muscles- reduces blood flow leads inadequate oxygen supply and damage of the muscle begins (expressed as pain much like the pain of a heart attack). Compression of the nerves leads to tingling, numbness or weakness of the muscles that those nerves supply.

TREATMENT:

1- Conservative treatment: rest, stretching, orthotics, massage or variation of exercise

2- Surgery- this allows the release of pressure either by a fasciotomy- which involves cutting open the fascia or fasciectomy which is removal of part of the fascia.

Stress Fractures:

Micro fractures of the bones of usually the Tibia ( lower leg) or foot. Due to repetitive high impact (basketball, tennis aerobics). Associated with increases in activity level

Pain occurs earlier with each successive work out. Pain increased with activity but persists with rest- Long periods or rest are required to resolve pain

With progression specific areas along the leg ( or foot) become painful to touch.

Risk factors include doing high impact sports, being female with abnormal or absent periods, sudden increase in activity ( particulary military recruits required to march) high or flat feet or osteoporosis ( malabsorption syndromes, lack of menstrual periods)

Muscles/ fascia Bone

Starts with exercise and resolves with rest often 1st pain after exercise and then occurs earlier and earlier with each successive workout and persists with rest

Tender points along bone

Weakness or foot drop

continue exercise

How about cold therapy? im going to buy some ice packs wraps from Rebel. Will use them for 10 mins after every game.

Got a freindly game with my old team this week, gonna see how my shins are doing. The physio said if I feel pain afterwards or the next day i'm still f*cked.

I've heard good things about hot cold treatments for muscle recovery...

apparently the heat pushes the blood outwards into the muscles, and then the cold pulls the blood back inwards. Gets blood going through your muscles a lot more - unsure what its effects would be here though.

as promised

Includes:

Symptoms include:

Tightness of leg

Foot drop

TREATMENT:

Stress Fractures:

Muscles/ fascia Bone

Tender points along bone

Weakness or foot drop

continue exercise

How about cold therapy? im going to buy some ice packs wraps from Rebel. Will use them for 10 mins after every game.

Got a freindly game with my old team this week, gonna see how my shins are doing. The physio said if I feel pain afterwards or the next day i'm still f*cked.

good luck mate.

apparently the heat pushes the blood outwards into the muscles, and then the cold pulls the blood back inwards. Gets blood going through your muscles a lot more - unsure what its effects would be here though.

elaborate please :grin:

elaborate please :grin:

I'm sure its mostly to do with decreasing/stopping inflammation.