Hrd Cors workout

hrdcor

Hey guys thought I would just run through a workout that I just did so you can see I actualy do train now and again!! Today I trained with Angela Munroe, who just placed third at the NABBA Universe,Anj is serious muscle,muscle like hers has not been seen in NZ for quite some time!! and guys she is seriously strong.Anj is currently preping for the Nationals and the worlds, while I am in the process of readjusting myself back in to some hard training.I call the shots whilst training and she just does it , good huh!

Today was Shoulders and Hammies:

Seated Machine shoulder press:

3x light warm up sets

5x working sets, reps 16,14,12,12,10, top weight whole stack ?dont know what it weighs!

Side laterial raises Machine super seated with rear db raises:

5xsuper sets, reps 15,12,12,10,10, top weight whole stack side raises? and 25kg db rear raises.

db front raises:

6xsets, reps 20,16,14,12,10 ,10 top weight 30kg db

Stiff legged db dead lifts:

6xsets, reps 18,18,14,14,12,10. top weight 50kg db

Lying leg curls:

6x sets, reps 16,16,14,12,10,10. top weight whole stack ??

Working sets are usally done to failure, all sets after warmup are working sets!

That was it, felt good, felt pumped and felt as if I had done enough to promote gains. Anj by the way was only about 15% - 20 % behind me on the weights, That was today !

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive tried all types of theories in training, and I have concluded 2 styles of training are optium for me.

1) Heavy duty training , Mike Mentzer schooling,Dorian Yates adapted. I did a number of training sessions with Mike Mentzer in LA about 8 years ago, as well as watched and talked to Dorian about his adaption of the training, from there I trained liked this for as long as it was viable, you see to do this style of training you need at least 3 training partners to help, and you have to prepared to reach TOTAL failure and have optimal rest times, Mike Mentzer used to employ 2-3 mexican border jumpers to move all the weights for the client!

2) Higher volume training , as your body adapts to your training you have to add volume to your training to keep getting your body to forcefully adapt.your body is one big safty cell and is always looking to protect it self , and if it is not forced to change then its very happy not to, you can either add volume by adding increased weight, or by adding prolonged stresses!, and after a while there is only so much weight one can add,especialy if you train on your own alot , then you start getting into purely strength training and not so much inhanced cell volume training.

And i find based on the princeables behind 2 that these type of rep numbers promote the celluable gain I am currently looking for, but you have to experiment for yourself, alot of top guys I have met over the years use this type of volume as well, if they train on there own!

you can either add volume by adding increased weight, or by adding prolonged stresses!, and after a while there is only so much weight one can add,especialy if you train on your own alot

Question for you hrdcor -what do you do when your body adapts to the increased volume or prolonged stress as you put it? Add more sets?

I've seen it put quite differently - intensity is finite, volume is finite, weight is infinite. This is the approach I've chosen to go with. Very low volume, higher training frequency and constant weight increases. I keep adding weight to my exercises and when I can't, I find an alternative exercise where I can.

I'll be following your journal to see how you do things, it's quite rare to see someone keeping their reps high. Once again, different strokes for different folks.

Ok since my first workout post caused so much upset and debate I thought i might as well tell you what I did today--- so here goes, now dont get angry with me ok its only my workout, none of yas have to do it alright!!!

ARMS,GUNS,(tris and bis)

Close grip press(machine)

3xw/u sets reps 20

5x working sets, reps 16,14,12,10,10 heaviest weight ,whole stack??

Over head ext (machine)

5xsets,reps 14,14,12,10,8, heaviest weight, whole stack,180lb i think

Tricep push down superseted with close grip tricep press of bench( done like a push up but with a close grip)

5xsets, reps both movements, 12,12,12,10,8 heaviest weight whole stack

One arm tricep push downs

4xsets, reps 12,12,10,10 heaviest weight 80kg

Z bar curls

5sets, reps 16,14,12,10,6 heaviest weight, 60kg

D/B curls

5xsets,reps 12,10,10,8,8 heaviest weight 32.5 kg

D/B preacher curls

4xsets, reps 10,10,8,8 heaviest weight 20kg

Machine rope hammer curls

4xsets, reps 12,12,10,8, heaviest weight ???

Note; The gym I train at has been my regular for over 10 yrs, so much of the machines I know off by heart as far as my capablitys go with the weight stacks , hence my unsure of the weight, I will endevour to keep a better visual for ya,s next time.

Most times I would do another exercise but today I felt a little hypo/gly so I stoped there!!

Prior to my work out I had a serve of Natures Best Effervescent Gluatamine and Creatine.

Just pre work out I had 1/2 a bottle of Natures Best Grenade.

Post work out I had 5 xBCAA Tablets, and another serve of Natures Best Effervescent Creatine.

Then when I got home 1/2 hr later I had a shake with 2xscoops of Natures Best 1100 gainer mixed with 1x scoop of devine protein and 10 grams of Micellar Casein protein then I went to bed and slept for 1-1/2 hrs.. that was training today..... hows that?

Well your lifting some heavy weights mate, find out what the stacks on each exercise weigh.

Whats your logic behind some of your lifts being extremely heavy, ie 1 arm push downs with 80kg :shock: and then regular pushdowns with only the whole stack? Im assuming of course that the stack weighs at most about 100kg...if you can do 80kg one arm why not 160+ with two?

Also with biceps, db curls with 32's :shock: but then only 20s on prechers curls?

How do you do your overhead ext on a machine? Is it a special machine or is it just a cable? Ive been trying to think how you would do it, is it the one where you lie on your back away from the cable and perform a pushdown? or is it the one where you kneel facing away from the macine with your tris on a horizontal bench and extend your arms?

Very nice workout by the way :grin:

Jono, I use a mix of free and machine, but when i train on my own i usually pic machines,(ie i use Hammer gear for chest etc)as this allows me to fail more safely and comfortably.

Growth the stack on the machine I use for push downs is huge man, It comes up to my rib height!!, but I will take a more precise note of my weights for ya,s for my next work out post, as i wasnt ganna post my workouts but the first one I did caused some talk so i decided to do this one as a spur of the moment thing.

The DB preacher curls are done odviously one arm, and very strict, well at least thats what I try to acheive,and i do full motion, not 1/2 motion like alot of people do , ie all the way down and all the way up to a peak!!,plus I do them at the ending of the workout so I am fatigued a little.

The overhead ext is a special machine,my gym has a vast number of specalist machines.

Re the machine overhead extension, I've seen a lot of people take the high pulley cable, brace their back/butt against the machine, and do their extensions pulling down. Personally I find the weight pulls me backwards, but I know other people swear by this method, so maybe I just need to experiment with the angles a bit more. Worth a try though, Growth. :)

Those are some big weights mate !, motivation for us young uns' to get there !

Whats your diet break down like roughly, cho/pro/fat break down ?

LOL I just find it amusing/aspiring that you can curl more on one DB than I can chest press :lol:

Well i didnt think of that! Obviously your gym is as hardcore as you!

Good job anyway mate, you should keep posting your workout, im very intrigued.

The tricep exercise i was refering to was this one,

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps ... riExt.html

I havent tried it myself, or even seen anyone doing it, but ive heard good things about it...

Varven, my weights arent that heavy realy, i have seen and know of far far stronger, I used to train with a good mate of mine here in NZ and he would do 50kg D/B curls, 75 kg D/B shoulder presses, 7 plates aside deadlifts, ive seen guys straight bar curl 140 kg and do bent over rows with 220kg in the states,I am not at my strongest(havent been for at least 3 years) but I am getting stronger by the week as i up my intensity to get it some where where it used to be !!

Ok heres what i did today,I trained at around 10-15am this morn!!

Quads:

Leg ext warmup 3xsets ,16 reps,80lb

Squats( in smith machine)

2xsets,14reps,80kg

2xsets,12reps,120kg

2xsets,10reps,160kg

(note I have been only back squating for 2mths after a 2 years of no squats, still trying to get back into them!!)

Leg press

2xsets,14eps,280kg

2xsets,10reps,360kg

2xsets,8reps,420kg

Leg Ext

2xsets,16 reps,120lb

2xsets,12reps,160lb

DB lunges

3xsets,12reps each leg,20kgDBin each hand

2xsets,10reps each leg,25kgDB in each hand

25 min cycle stat/bike.

Prior to work out 1xserve Natuers Best Effervecent Glutamine and Creatine,1/2 bottle Natures Best Grenade

Post work out 1xserve Natures Best Creatine, 5xBCAAs

Home,had a shake then 1hr rest!!

Legs fell heavy and tired now!!Just the felling I wanted!!

I squat fully !!! all the way down, only way to squat for optimum quad development, under a free bar I elevate my heels by about 2-3 inches to put more direct stress on the quad muscles. Back when I was going hard out with my squating I acheived a 7 plate aside squat(300kg) for 5 reps, but would usally do 6plate aside squats for 6-8 reps!!!,couldnt do that now but I am aiming to get it back up there some where, will take a while though!!

I squat fully !!! all the way down, only way to squat for optimum quad development, under a free bar I elevate my heels by about 2-3 inches to put more direct stress on the quad muscles. Back when I was going hard out with my squating I acheived a 7 plate aside squat(300kg) for 5 reps, but would usally do 6plate aside squats for 6-8 reps!!!,couldnt do that now but I am aiming to get it back up there some where, will take a while though!!

thats awesome man.

so i take it you train hams on a seperate day ? how do you find recovery is with doing that?. currently i train quds/hams on mon, ,then thurs im dl'ing and that pretty much has my hams gone all week.

Jono, when i squat i do not take a wide stance, my feet are around hip width apart and I keep my toes inline with my knees and dont flair them out , I use this same stance on the leg press. This keeps max involvement of the Quad muscles and minium involvement of the hamstrings, so consiquently I dont get sore hammies after my quad work out !! So they are fine to train on another day!!, I dont train them with quads cause it takes to much out of me mentaly and physically just to do quads, which is why i do quads on the first training day of my training week,so i am edgeing to go at it!, note this style of squating was taught to me by Lee Labrada beleive it or not!!